PDA

View Full Version : Pilot brake checks hijacker, orchestrates beatdown

n8v_ndn
2/20/2007, 10:29 AM
Jetliner's pilot used a deliberately rough landing and discreet alert to passengers to overpower hijacker.

By Juan Manuel Pardellas

ASSOCIATED PRESS

Saturday, February 17, 2007

SANTA CRUZ DE TENERIFE, Canary Islands — A pilot thwarted a hijacking by discreetly warning the passengers in French — a language the gunman didn't speak — that he would knock the attacker off-balance with a rough landing, and they should be ready to pounce. The ploy worked.

As Capt. Ahmedou Mohamed Lemine landed the Air Mauritania Boeing 737, he slammed on the brakes, then abruptly accelerated, throwing the hijacker to the floor, officials said Friday. The forewarned passengers and crew threw boiling water from a coffee maker on the man's face and chest, then beat him into submission. :D

About 20 passengers were injured in thwarting the hijacker. But this baby and others aboard the Boeing survived the attempt.

Angel Medina G.
ASSOCIATED PRESS

(enlarge photo)
Passengers on an Air Mauritania Boeing 737 flight to the Canary Islands, including Mohamed Ahmed, left, were alerted by the plane's pilot to pounce on a hijacker when the plane jerked suddenly and caused the hijacker to fall.

"The man deserves a medal," Air Mauritania spokesman Ahmedou Ahmedou said of Lemine, a 20-year veteran of the airline, after the ordeal ended Thursday evening.

Brandishing two pistols, the lone attacker had hijacked the Boeing 737, carrying 71 passengers and a crew of eight, shortly after it took off from the Mauritanian capital of Nouakchott. The flight was headed for Gran Canaria, one of Spain's Canary Islands, with a stopover planned in Nouadhibou in northern Mauritania.

He wanted to go to France so that he could request political asylum, said Mohamed Ould Mohamed Cheikh, Mauritania's top police official.

The hijacker was identified by Spanish Interior Ministry officials as Mohamed Abderraman, a 32-year-old Mauritanian. Mauritania has said the hijacker was a Moroccan from the Western Sahara.

The crew told the hijacker, who spoke Arabic, that there wasn't enough fuel to fly to France. In addition, Morocco denied a request for the plane to land in the city of Djala in the Moroccan-controlled Western Sahara, so Lemine headed for Las Palmas on Gran Canaria, the flight's original destination.

While talking to the gunman, Lemine realized the hijacker didn't understand French. The 50-year-old captain then used the plane's public address system to tip off passengers in French about his plan to throw the hijacker off-balance so that the flight crew and about 10 passengers in the front rows could subdue him.

About 20 people on the jetliner were slightly injured when the plane braked suddenly.

"We were afraid. We thought it was people from al Qaeda or the Algerian GSPC who were going to cut our throats," said Aicha Mint Sidi, a 45-year-old passenger, referring to an Algerian Muslim extremist group.

"I trembled during and after the hijacking," passenger Dahi Ould Ali, 52, said. "I thought the plane was going to blow up any minute, either in mid-air or on landing."

Good Guys: 1, Bad Guys: 0

Hatfield
2/20/2007, 10:39 AM
awesome.

jk the sooner fan
2/20/2007, 10:50 AM
"i'm gonna throw on the brakes and he'll fly right by"

IronSooner
2/20/2007, 11:03 AM
About time the french language contributed to winning something.

TheHumanAlphabet
2/20/2007, 11:04 AM
Okay, if you're gonna highjack a plane or other conveyence, perhaps you should speak the language of the country you want them to convey you to, so as to not allow a plan to be made in a language you don't understand...

StoopTroup
2/20/2007, 11:06 AM
ABC Movie of the week in 1,2,3....

jk the sooner fan
2/20/2007, 11:14 AM
if the pilot and hi-jacker had been female, the movie would be on lifetime....

Hatfield
2/20/2007, 11:16 AM
or at least oxygen...

or if they were hot maybe spice

JohnnyMack
2/20/2007, 11:21 AM

Where'd who go?!?!?!

fadada1
2/20/2007, 11:31 AM
Where'd who go?!?!?!
"that was me laughing."

Widescreen
2/20/2007, 12:30 PM
if the pilot and hi-jacker had been female, the movie would be on lifetime....
But only if she had a previous relationship with the pilot and he'd been cheating on her.

Sooner_Bob
2/20/2007, 01:17 PM
Okay people! We've got to put a barrier between us and the snakes!

jacru
2/20/2007, 01:18 PM
Bulletin: Congress considers de-funding airline passengers. :rolleyes:

skycat
2/20/2007, 03:14 PM
That whole 9/11 thing pretty much ruined it for hijackers who want docile captives.

TheHumanAlphabet
2/20/2007, 03:58 PM
That whole 9/11 thing pretty much ruined it for hijackers who want docile captives.

You got that right. They'll be fightin' back...

Told my wife I wouldn't go down nicely, I would fight back. P.S. Go for the eyes, a blind terrorist is no terrorist. Plus it keeps 'em alive for whatever trial and punishment...

C&CDean
2/20/2007, 04:11 PM
You got that right. They'll be fightin' back...

Told my wife I wouldn't go down nicely, I would fight back. P.S. Go for the eyes, a blind terrorist is no terrorist. Plus it keeps 'em alive for whatever trial and punishment...

I don't know about all that. At least the blind part. Pretty sure dude in NYC is/was blind.

I sit in 1st class on almost every flight. Aisle seat. I board first. I watch every single person who boards after me. I take a mental note when someone looks like they may be trouble. If that person ever attempts to go further forward than my aisle, they will be tasting nasty airliner carpet post haste. With 260 pounds straddling the back of their head.

Profiling? ****in' A.

skycat
2/20/2007, 04:13 PM
kinky

BlondeSoonerGirl
2/20/2007, 04:25 PM
I flew to Atlanta last week and on one of my flights I sat next to a very shady character. For the very first time I started taking mental notes on a fellow passenger simply because I felt something really...strange about him.

He was maybe a little younger than me...I couldn't tell if he was a Latino or an Arab...he was dark...he had filthy clothes on...pierced eyebrow and lower-lip...tattoos on his hands...no bag...he was fidgety as hell...he could NOT sit still. He was kinda mumbling to himself but I couldn't understand him...he knocked on the window at one point before we took off...like he was trying to get someone's attention outside...he was very interested in the outside of the plane...

At one point he took his plane ticket(s) out of his pocket and I saw that his destination was Mexico City. So I figgered I'd wrongly profiled and he was a Mexican fella going back home or something.

Now I ask you: should I have said anything to anyone? I mean was it just the difference in cultures that made me notice him? Was he just super-nervous...maybe this was the first time he'd ever flown? Was he a drug runner? Was his behavior enough to warrant action if not just mentioning it to a flight attendant?

I've been thinking about him since that day. He made me very uncomfortable. Very.

BlondeSoonerGirl
2/20/2007, 04:25 PM
How the craphell is it even possible to double-post?

Dang.

crawfish
2/20/2007, 04:28 PM
How the craphell is it even possible to double-post?

Dang.

Ooooh. Secret moderador weaknesses. :D

Widescreen
2/20/2007, 04:28 PM
Now I ask you: should I have said anything to anyone? I mean was it just the difference in cultures that made me notice him? Was he just super-nervous...maybe this was the first time he'd ever flown? Was he a drug runner? Was his behavior enough to warrant action if not just mentioning it to a flight attendant?
You should've kicked him in the junk and yelled "Welcome to America, b*tch!"

;)

C&CDean
2/20/2007, 04:31 PM
So, looks like JB has been thinking about gettin' her some dark. Ever since those latino punks at the mall coined her monniker she's been thinking about it. Joo go juicy! Arriba!!

BlondeSoonerGirl
2/20/2007, 04:34 PM
So, looks like JB has been thinking about gettin' her some dark. Ever since those latino punks at the mall coined her monniker she's been thinking about it. Joo go juicy! Arriba!!

You turd. I was actually waiting for you to respond - I wanted to know what you would have done.

Oh, and he smelled funny. Like butt.

Stanky butt.

C&CDean
2/20/2007, 04:37 PM
You turd. I was actually waiting for you to respond - I wanted to know what you would have done.

Oh, and he smelled funny. Like butt.

Stanky butt.

First of all, I wouldn't be sitting next to El Stanko cause I sit in 1st class.

Second of all, I'd be watching his *** like a hawk. If he went "excuse me, I need to get up" I'd say "not today pal. At least not until the plane lands." If he popped off any further I'd just push the "stop this bus" button.

IB4OU2
2/20/2007, 04:39 PM
Why didn't you tell the flight attendant that he was fidgity and had stanky butt...sounds like a terrorist to me.

jk the sooner fan
2/20/2007, 10:43 PM

whoever spekked me and thought this was a spaceballs reference.......

ARE YOU EFFIN KIDDING ME?

do the call signs "maverick and goose" ring any bells?

Harry Beanbag
2/21/2007, 07:04 AM
whoever spekked me and thought this was a spaceballs reference.......

ARE YOU EFFIN KIDDING ME?

do the call signs "maverick and goose" ring any bells?

Everybody knows that was Hot Shots.

Harry Beanbag
2/21/2007, 07:08 AM
I flew to Atlanta last week and on one of my flights I sat next to a very shady character. For the very first time I started taking mental notes on a fellow passenger simply because I felt something really...strange about him.

He was maybe a little younger than me...I couldn't tell if he was a Latino or an Arab...he was dark...he had filthy clothes on...pierced eyebrow and lower-lip...tattoos on his hands...no bag...he was fidgety as hell...he could NOT sit still. He was kinda mumbling to himself but I couldn't understand him...he knocked on the window at one point before we took off...like he was trying to get someone's attention outside...he was very interested in the outside of the plane...

At one point he took his plane ticket(s) out of his pocket and I saw that his destination was Mexico City. So I figgered I'd wrongly profiled and he was a Mexican fella going back home or something.

I've been thinking about him since that day. He made me very uncomfortable. Very.

I've sat near a couple of guys like this. They were Mexican, and one of them actually spoke some broken English and told me it was his first flight and he was scared. That's probably all it was.

From what I understand, these Muslim terrorist dudes are supposed to make their bodies perfectly clean and hairless before they murder innocent people so they'll be ready for their big meeting with the 77 virgins.

sanantoniosooner
2/21/2007, 08:43 AM
If I ever seen Dean on a flight I'm messing with him.

I might even get to sue an airline over it.

C&CDean
2/21/2007, 09:13 AM
If I ever seen Dean on a flight I'm messing with him.

I might even get to sue an airline over it.

pfffft. I ain't worried about your lily white ***.

Widescreen
2/21/2007, 10:40 AM
From what I understand, these Muslim terrorist dudes are supposed to make their bodies perfectly clean and hairless before they murder innocent people so they'll be ready for their big meeting with the 77 virgins.
http://img165.imageshack.us/img165/858/britneyspearsshavedheadxm5.jpg

Then this one needs to go to Gitmo, STAT! She apparently has neither curtains nor drapes.