PDA

View Full Version : Anyone had pneumonia?

tulsaoilerfan
2/19/2007, 10:37 PM
So i went to the Doc today cause i've been feeling pretty crappy lately; started with a stomach virus last Tuesday, and about the time i was feeling somewhat better, the non-stop coughing started; i knew something was wrong just by the way the cough felt, and sure enough, i have pneumonia in one of my lungs. I was told in about 4-5 days i should be feeling better, but it could take 4-6 weeks before i'm 100%; please share any experiences so i will know what to expect. :pop:

royalfan5
2/19/2007, 10:39 PM
I had walking pneumonia when I was a 5th grader. I remember it sucking for a long time. That's about all I can give you.

OUFAN29
2/19/2007, 10:47 PM
So i went to the Doc today cause i've been feeling pretty crappy lately; started with a stomach virus last Tuesday, and about the time i was feeling somewhat better, the non-stop coughing started; i knew something was wrong just by the way the cough felt, and sure enough, i have pneumonia in one of my lungs. I was told in about 4-5 days i should be feeling better, but it could take 4-6 weeks before i'm 100%; please share any experiences so i will know what to expect. :pop:

I had it for about 3 weeks and finally got 90% over it last Friday. Started with my son, then duaghter, then I got it. It is really nasty stuff. Only way I got some sleep was to take vicidin and/or tylenol3 with codene.

Wish you the best

sooneron
2/19/2007, 10:58 PM
I had it for about 5 weeks due to it being misdiagnosed as a bronchial infection. Nothing like coughing up a putrid brown substance in the middle of the night. On the bright side, no one would sit next to me on the train to work and I lost 17 pounds!
If you've been diagnosed, odds are you have that super antibiotic that you take four times. I think it's the same stuff for anthrax. The symptoms will linger, but you'll feel much better in about 7-10 days.

jacru
2/19/2007, 10:59 PM
You will think you're better before you really are better. If you over-exert yourself, your body will remind you.

OUFAN29
2/19/2007, 11:01 PM
I had it for about 5 weeks due to it being misdiagnosed as a bronchial infection. Nothing like coughing up a putrid brown substance in the middle of the night. On the bright side, no one would sit next to me on the train to work and I lost 17 pounds!
If you've been diagnosed, odds are you have that super antibiotic that you take four times. I think it's the same stuff for anthrax. The symptoms will linger, but you'll feel much better in about 7-10 days.

Exactly. The drugs I was given also attack anthrax. Real warm feeling inside when you are told that.

Sooner_Bob
2/19/2007, 11:17 PM
I had it about 8 years ago . . . I put off going to the doctor until it hurt so bad when I breathed it felt like I was getting stabbed in the chest with an ice pick.

Don't ever wait that long . . .

MamaMia
2/19/2007, 11:21 PM
You will think you're better before you really are better. If you over-exert yourself, your body will remind you.
I've had pneumonia as well. Jacru speaks with wisdom. About a week after I had finished the antibiotics, I thought I was well enough to drive to the city, have lunch with the girls and run some errands. I started having coughing spells again and ended up with a collapsed lung. Get plenty of rest and do exactly what the doctor says.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
2/20/2007, 12:58 AM
Be patient. It DOES take a while to completely get over. I've had it a couple of times. Last time was 19-20 yrs. ago, but I remember that it really saps your strength, and is a pretty serious matter that you need to take seriously, and get the thing completely cured on the first round of meds.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
2/20/2007, 07:33 AM
I had it in 2000. Mine was so bad I ended up being in the hospital from Friday to Monday and missed the next week of work.

I remember excruciating headaches and they had to give me a sleeping pill in the hospital because I had not slept in 4 days.

Everyone is right about taking it easy. Even after the symptoms are gone, your body will still be weak for a while.

SoonerBorn68
2/20/2007, 07:37 AM
Dang. All this sounds extactly what Mrs. '68's been fighting for a couple of months. She finally went to the doctor & was prescribed some esspensive, high powered antibiotics. She's finally gettin' over it, but I think she gave it to me. :(

Preservation Parcels
2/20/2007, 08:30 AM
I had it when my nursing twins were 6 months old. I was so sick that I laid down on the living room floor and took off my shirt.(no pictures :P ) I figured that if I passed out, at least they could come find food. It took a good six months to be completely healthy again, but a lot of that was due to twin babies and no sleep.

Please take it easy and drink lots of water. This, too, shall pass.

tulsaoilerfan
2/20/2007, 08:49 AM
Thanks for the info guys and gals; it sounds like the next week or two will be really fun.:mad: The antibiotic i'm taking is supposed to be pretty powerful; Levaquin is it's name and it's only 1x a day, so it must be pretty powerful.

sooneron
2/20/2007, 08:53 AM
Dang. All this sounds extactly what Mrs. '68's been fighting for a couple of months. She finally went to the doctor & was prescribed some esspensive, high powered antibiotics. She's finally gettin' over it, but I think she gave it to me. :(
I don't think pneumonia, itself is communicable.

leavingthezoo
2/20/2007, 09:42 AM
slap a band aid on it, and buck up, wimpy!

:D

Osce0la
2/20/2007, 10:10 AM
I had pneumonia when I was like 1-2 years old. They had to put an IV in my head. Hope that helps. :D

frankensooner
2/20/2007, 10:46 AM
It does suck. I locked myself in the guest room for a week and my wife came in and gave me my medicine and soup every so often. It was ten years ago and I still remember how horrible it was.

I just got over a sinus infection coupled with the flu. It is the worst I have felt since the pneumonia.

StoopTroup
2/20/2007, 10:53 AM
I had it about five years ago and I died.

No way I'm giving up my Season Tickets though.

I'm going to make every game this year.

Yeah it sucked. The pain when coughing has awful.

At first it was like the hand of the Grimreaper was grasping me around my throat and everytime I coughed...he'd squeeze a little harder.

I'm sick at home today and missed work. I have a Drs. appt for tomorrow.

Have been having pain in my left arm and blurred vision for about 4 days. Some slight discomfort in the chest. I felt so bad this morning I stayed home. I'm just gonna take it easy and if this gets worse I'm going to the ER.

Get Well Soon Oiler!

ST

TheHumanAlphabet
2/20/2007, 10:57 AM
I had pneumnia once. Worst thing I have ever had.

Started out with a bad sinus infection or cold. Went to the doc on a Thursday, gave me antibiotics. Felt like crap all weekend, high fever continued. Went in Monday back to the doc, I had pneumonia so bad, he almost hospitalized me. Gave me severe antibiotics, breathing drugs, and bed rest (like I could do anything else). I was out of work for a month, and not really right for another 6-8 weeks. Very weak afterwards, no stamina. The worst was felling like I was drowning while I had pneumonia.

opksooner
2/20/2007, 11:00 AM
Chicken Soup.

StoopTroup
2/21/2007, 02:47 PM
How you doing today Oiler?

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
2/21/2007, 05:48 PM
Thanks for the info guys and gals; it sounds like the next week or two will be really fun.:mad: The antibiotic i'm taking is supposed to be pretty powerful; Levaquin is it's name and it's only 1x a day, so it must be pretty powerful.Levaquin will give you headaches from hell. Be ready.

Hamhock
2/21/2007, 05:54 PM
i got a splinter yesterday. i was putting wood back on the wood rack.

i used a needle, some tweezers, and alcohol to get it out.

I'm ok now.

tulsaoilerfan
3/4/2007, 07:02 PM
Just an FYI in case anyone cares; it looks like the levaquin did the trick; i feel much better and my energy level is almost back to where it should be; thanks for all the concerns

TUSooner
3/4/2007, 07:13 PM
I guess they didn't have Levaquin back in 1903 or whenever it was when I had walking pneumonia in 3rd grade. I spent 2 weeks in Tinker AFB hospital and got 4 painful antibiotic injections per day. I hated that place and those nurses. It was perfectly awful.

Naturally, I got to go back and spend another week there later on when I had my appendix removed. I think they took it out with a wooden spoon. I only got 2 shots per day that time, though. OOh yeah, the incision got infected after that. Good times!

tulsaoilerfan
3/4/2007, 10:26 PM
I guess they didn't have Levaquin back in 1903 or whenever it was when I had walking pneumonia in 3rd grade. I spent 2 weeks in Tinker AFB hospital and got 4 painful antibiotic injections per day. I hated that place and those nurses. It was perfectly awful.

Naturally, I got to go back and spend another week there later on when I had my appendix removed. I think they took it out with a wooden spoon. I only got 2 shots per day that time, though. OOh yeah, the incision got infected after that. Good times!

I feel for you bro; i spent over a week in the hospital with pneumonia also when i was just a little kid; think i was 6 or 7; it was over Christmas and New Year's, and the only thing i really remember about it was watching the Sooners in the Sugar Bowl and i think it was the year they played Penn State; so i've now officially had it 2x, but i don't recall any details from way back in 72.

John

SleestakSooner
3/5/2007, 12:42 AM
I got a pretty bad case of it near the end of my time in the navy. I was sleeping in a dorm at the time and the idiot next to me just had to have the window cracked open in the middle of February.

After I developed a fever and started having sharp pains in my chest every single time I took a deep breath I decided to see the medic. This moran took my temperature, told me that it was 103 and declared that I had the flu even though I protested and said I thought it might be pneumonia. As is protocol with infectious type diseases, I was placed under quarantine in the brig.

This happened on a Friday morning and by Sunday morning I could not eat or drink anything without it coming right back up. I could only rest semi-comfortably in a fetal position on my right side. I was coughing up blood and was seeing hallucinations, one of which was David Copperfield and two midgets swinging in through the bars in the brig's hallway windows and asking me to come with them! (no lie)

Needless to say the tylenol that they were trying to feed me wasn't helping. On the third day the guards finally came and asked if I was alright. I held up the bloody rag that I had been coughing on and said "what do you think?"

A few minutes later I was rushed to the emergency clinic and x-rays were taken of my lungs. They determined that I did indeed have a severe case of pneumonia and gave me proper medication (antibiotics). Within two hours I was feeling great and eating everything in sight. Within a week I could breath deeply again without pain.

Moral of this story... never trust a military medic to diagnos you properly and never hallucinate when David Copperfield is in town performing!