PDA

View Full Version : Who's good this year?

tommieharris91
2/19/2007, 05:02 PM
I'd like to start actually paying attention to college baseball. I was wondering, who's any good this year? Also, I know OU didn't play last weekend, but what's our record and who have we played?

fwsooner22
2/19/2007, 05:17 PM
2-4....we have played South Carolina and a bunch of no-names....right now we stink......We lost our Shortstop to injury......there are others who will know much more than I.....TCU is really good and we play them twice. They swept ORU over the weekend.

setem
2/19/2007, 07:38 PM
This is a rebuilding year for us. We graduated almost all of our starters last year, 3 of them being our weekend starting pitchers. The kids we pulled in on these last 2 recruiting classes should in time, bring us back to a winning way.

As for who is good? Arkansas is always good they have had some monster recruiting classes in the last 5 years. Dave Vanhorn is my mind is one of the greatest baseball coaches to step foot on a baseball field. The SEC in general brings it when it comes to college baseball. Long Beach field great teams year after year. MO State in the last couple years has been playing good baseball as well.

In the Big XII, Texas OSU Baylor and Nebraska have some of the best teams in the country. Colorado and ISU do not have baseball teams. Last season MO had the best pitching staff in the Big XII.

I like Arkansas OU and Tulane when it comes to college baseball.

SPREAD IT ON!!!

OSUAggie
2/21/2007, 11:48 AM
..... Dave Vanhorn is my mind is one of the greatest baseball coaches to step foot on a baseball field ......

It might be good to wait on him to actually win something before making that asinine proclamation.

fwsooner22
2/21/2007, 12:23 PM
It might be good to wait on him to actually win something before making that asinine proclamation.

Kinda like OSU basketball.....wasn't it you who was telling me that it was crazy to suggest that OSU would not make the tournament.....how's that going for ya.......you do not even need to think of using the phrase "asinine proclamation".

It's kind of a habit of yours to travel around this board telling people that their opinions are wrong. Opinions are never wrong. Aggies are wrong. Keep hanging around here maybe you'll learn something. :D :D :D

OSUAggie
2/21/2007, 01:34 PM
Saying Van Horn is one of the "greatest baseball coaches to step foot on a baseball field" is about like saying Dennis Franchione is one of the greatest football coaches to step foot on a football field. Obviously it's an opinion, since someone wrote it, but it's typically good to have some sort of substance to back up one's opinion (while the Van Horn statement has none).

And OSU is still a lock for the tourney. ;)

fwsooner22
2/21/2007, 02:06 PM
Saying Van Horn is one of the "greatest baseball coaches to step foot on a baseball field" is about like saying Dennis Franchione is one of the greatest football coaches to step foot on a football field. Obviously it's an opinion, since someone wrote it, but it's typically good to have some sort of substance to back up one's opinion (while the Van Horn statement has none).

And OSU is still a lock for the tourney. ;)

So, was Eddie one of the greatest basketball coaches of all time???? He never won anything based on your criteria.

OSU is NOT a lock for anything at this point. OU doesn't deserve a shot and we should have beaten Mizzou on their floor last night. What did Mizzou do to Aggie in Aggieland? NO you are NOT a lock........:P

OSUAggie
2/21/2007, 02:13 PM
We ARE a lock, damnit.

Van Horn isn't in the top-10 of all-time wins in his sport, has only appeared in 3 CWS (I think, might be 4), and is a relatively "young" coach that hasn't proven a helluva lot to date. Sure, he did a nice job @ Nebbish and is continuing on DeBriyn's program @ UA but he hasn't reached sainthood yet.

To answer your question, yes, Eddie is one of the greatest basketball coaches of all time. His record proves that (even without nat'l titles). If Van Horn has a comparable record in his respective sport when he retires/runs his SUV into the back of some crazy woman, then sure, that statement will have merit (even if he has no nat'l titles), but he hasn't done it yet.

fwsooner22
2/21/2007, 02:52 PM
So now SHE is a crazy woman????........Your coach is a drunk....who drinks and drives around little kids....that makes mommy crazy.....

Ummmmm, pretty sure you are not suppose to be using profanity on this board.....

OSUAggie
2/21/2007, 03:17 PM
Sarcasm meter must not've been on high enough when I said crazy woman...

fwsooner22
2/21/2007, 03:38 PM
Sarcasm meter must not've been on high enough when I said crazy woman...

Wow:confused:

setem
2/21/2007, 07:59 PM
Dave VanHorn (http://www.davevanhorn.com/coach_DaveVanHorn.htm)

"His postseason resume includes seven NCAA regional berths, four conference tournament crowns, three College World Series appearances and a Division II National Championship.

In 2004,Arkansas was picked to finish last in the Southeastern Conference Western Division. Van Horn led the Razorbacks to a share of the overall conference title, victories in a pair of memorable NCAA Regionals at Baum Stadium and ultimately a berth in the College World Series.

The Razorbacks posted a 45-24 overall record and a 19-11 mark in the SEC to claim their second SEC crown in school history. Along the way, the Hogs swept a weekend series against No. 2 LSU in Baton Rouge, La., marking the first time since 1988, the Tigers had been swept at home by an SEC opponent.

The largest crowd at an NCAA Regional in2004 witnessed the Razorbacks post a dramatic come-from-behind victory over Wichita State to stave off elimination. The Hogs carried the momentum to another win over the Shockers in the final game to earn a berth in the NCAA Super Regional.

Van Horn's Razorbacks served as the host school for the Super Regional. The Hogs quickly dispatched Florida State in two games to advance to the program's fifth College World Series. It marked the third trip to Omaha for Van Horn as a head coach after two previous appearances while head coach at Nebraska.

The Razorbacks finished the 2004 season ranked in the top 10 in all four major baseball polls, with their highest ranking of sixth in Baseball America. Arkansas achieved all of that success with the help of only one second-team All-SEC selection (ScottHode).

For his coaching efforts, Van Horn shared SEC Coach of the Year honors with Georgia's Dave Perno. His players also shared in the individual hardware as Danny Hamblin and Jake Dugger both earned freshman All-America recognition while Brady Toops was named as the 2004 SEC Scholar-Athlete of the Year."

Who is gay this year???

OSU!!!

fwsooner22
2/22/2007, 09:43 AM
That was a great read setem...........

OSUAggie
2/28/2007, 12:16 PM
Wow... Dave Van Horn, after reading that, is comparable to....

Bill Self
Dennis Franchione
Mark Richt
Jamie Dixon
Houston Nutt
Spike Dykes
and...
Steve Lavin

Not exactly a who's who of greatest coaches in their respective sport to have stepped foot on their respective playing surface.

illinisooner
3/4/2007, 09:00 PM
Is OSU still a lock for the tournament?

OSUFAN11
3/7/2007, 09:36 AM
Not too sure why we are talking basketball on a baseball thread but who cares. They seem to get a little off track all the time. Anyway, what do yo guys think about ****** this year? I think it will be a good one. Both teams are playing well and I think those two teams have a grudge after last year. Especially the coaches.

OSUAggie
3/7/2007, 09:47 AM
Is OSU still a lock for the tournament?

Yes.

OSUFAN11
3/7/2007, 01:25 PM
Yes.

You might want to think that over again!

setem
3/11/2007, 08:13 PM
Yes.

LOCK FOR THE NIT!

STFU!

SleestakSooner
3/12/2007, 07:52 AM
# Team W L PctRankPctRankSOSRank

15Florida State (http://www.warrennolan.com/baseball/2007/schedule/Florida%20State)2001.000010.6169150.4892158

6Vanderbilt (http://www.warrennolan.com/baseball/2007/schedule/Vanderbilt)1801.000010.630560.5073141
57Kentucky (http://www.warrennolan.com/baseball/2007/schedule/Kentucky)1601.000010.5563570.4085253

Those teams are all still undefeated at this stage of the season. One thing they all seem to have in common is a very weak strength of schedule.

South Carolina is listed as number one is one poll. Vanderbilt is number one most other polls.

As most of you know college baseball is a fickle sport and it is never easy to tell this early in the season who will come out smelling like roses. The Sooners, in comparison, are ranked as high as 30th in some polls and have the 40th toughest SoS. OU is ranked #22 in the RPI after their loss to Michigan yesterday.

We will have to see how the other teams fare once they play some real competition but for now the Sooners are looking pretty good.

Aaron Baker still has a hitting streak alive and well at 18 games after going 2-5 in the loss to Michigan.

Jello Biafra
3/12/2007, 05:42 PM
To answer your question, yes, Eddie is one of the greatest basketball coaches of all time. His record proves that (even without nat'l titles).

you need to stop sticking your pecker in the penut butter jar, stop smoking meth and step out side to get some air.....

eddie's record proves nothing other than he can keep from killing himself and someone else with all of the alcohol related incidents he's had over the years. the wins thing???? that is a longetivity issue.... he's not dead, someones willing to keep him on the payroll he can draw some plays on a chalk board. if he can keep it between the two pretty whitelines, make it home alive, and do that for 30 years.......boom! eventually, he will get some wins. no?

what a friggin feminine product you are.

Boarder
3/12/2007, 10:59 PM
Everyone chill........................................

Jello Biafra
3/13/2007, 05:23 PM
Everyone chill........................................

well........

they started it. :P