PDA

View Full Version : XM and Sirius announce Merger

hurricane'bone
2/19/2007, 03:49 PM
NEW YORK (AP) -- XM Satellite Radio Holdings Inc. and Sirius Satellite Radio Inc. have agreed to merge, the two companies said Monday.

The deal would consolidate the only two companies in the emerging business of subscription-only satellite radio, and is sure to face tough scrutiny from federal regulators. Investors and analysts have been speculating about a deal for months.

The two companies said in a statement that Mel Karmazin, the CEO of Sirius, would become chief executive of the new company while Gary Parsons, the chairman of XM, would remain in that role.

© 2007 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed. Learn more about our Privacy Policy.

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/X/XM_RADIO_SIRIUS?SITE=OKTUL&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT

TheUnnamedSooner
2/19/2007, 04:28 PM
Hmm, I sold my sirius stock about a year ago

TheHumanAlphabet
2/19/2007, 04:33 PM
So do we wait about a year until they sort it out and harmonize the receivers?

OUHOMER
2/19/2007, 06:01 PM
thats cool. I have xm and big 12 is on sirus.. so it would work out for me

soonerboomer93
2/19/2007, 06:18 PM
i'm sure it will take a bit of time to sort out the receivers, maybe new ones will be out by the time the merger gets approved

OUinFLA
2/19/2007, 07:58 PM
i'm sure it will take a bit of time to sort out the receivers, maybe new ones will be out by the time the merger gets approved

it will be interesting to see how they handle the XM that came in my 05 Chevy truck.
XM has been in GM vehicles for 3 or 4 years. I'd kinda hate to lose that reception with a new receiver channel.

OUFAN29
2/19/2007, 10:53 PM

I have both XM and Sirius in my truck and Envoy so it looks like when they merge, I will be getting a lot of airtime with the amount I paid for both subscriptions.

sooneron
2/20/2007, 09:39 AM
In the end, Howard Stern wins.

Okla-homey
2/20/2007, 09:45 AM
I hope the FCC makes sure that the merger results in a broader menu for current XM or Sirius subscribers. I hate that XM (which is the one I fell for) does not broadcast Big XII FB.

Howard Stern can bite me.

rd280z
2/20/2007, 10:14 AM
Sounds like the pay to hear radio is in trouble.

TheHumanAlphabet
2/20/2007, 10:49 AM
Yeah, one may make it, but I don't think there is market for two.

OUFAN29
2/20/2007, 01:18 PM
I hope the FCC makes sure that the merger results in a broader menu for current XM or Sirius subscribers. I hate that XM (which is the one I fell for) does not broadcast Big XII FB.

Howard Stern can bite me.

Thats why I have both in my truck. XM broadcast more Carolina Hurricanes games than does Sirius but sirius has NFL and Big XII. Plus MLB is on XM if I am in the mood to fall asleep. lol

OzarkSooner
2/20/2007, 01:32 PM
This sounds like users are about to get shafted...can you say monopoly and prices will go UP!?

royalfan5
2/20/2007, 02:14 PM
This sounds like users are about to get shafted...can you say monopoly and prices will go UP!?
well they both can't go on losing money indefinately either.

Cam
3/8/2007, 11:24 PM
How is it even possible for this to get cleared by the FCC?

ouflak
3/9/2007, 07:36 AM
I think it's a matter of market perspective. Sure it's important to keep competition in many markets, but in some markets, especially emerging ones like this, competition isn't necessarily best thing. IMO, at this early stage, I think the basic market dynamics (like price, supply, demand, that kind of thing...) need to be sorted out before you start enforcing strict regulations and controls.