PDA

View Full Version : Y2K7

mdklatt
2/19/2007, 12:42 PM
Who's to blame for the DST change? There's assloads of software that needs to be updated to deal with the new DST rules. It's like Y2 freakin' K all over again. :mad:

Frozen Sooner
2/19/2007, 12:44 PM
Yeah, I was thinking about that. They supposedly extended DST so that we'd save energy, but all of the savings have been destroyed by the man-hours needed to reprogram everything with automatic DST switchover.

homerSimpsonsBrain
2/19/2007, 12:45 PM
ITS GEORGE W BUSH'S FAULT!!! No, really. Executive order to try and save energy. We just upgraded servers this weekend.

homerSimpsonsBrain
2/19/2007, 12:51 PM
Yeah, I was thinking about that. They supposedly extended DST so that we'd save energy, but all of the savings have been destroyed by the man-hours needed to reprogram everything with automatic DST switchover.

I think its a one time cost but a long term savings (in theory). And just think about how all these companies have stimulated the economy and paid all that overtime to software developers in India

Flagstaffsooner
2/19/2007, 01:15 PM
I enjoy not having DST.

OUDoc
2/19/2007, 01:16 PM
I enjoy not having DST.
How can you enjoy something you don't have? ;)

OCUDad
2/19/2007, 01:22 PM
How can you enjoy something you don't have? ;)See: bachelorhood. :P

mdklatt
2/19/2007, 01:42 PM
I think its a one time cost but a long term savings (in theory).

The only electricity we're going to save is with lighting, right? Except that streetlights aren't going to be used less; they'll just go off an hour later in the morning. Office buildings won't use any less because they have the lights on whenever they're open anyway (plus, the extra daylight comes after most of them are already closed). Ditto for stores, shopping malls, and schools.

So, the only electricty we're going to be saving is when people come home after work or school and turn the lights on an hour later, right? That will be at least partially offset by the need to have the lights on an hour later in the morning. Most of us are going to be going to work/school at the buttcrack of dawn in a couple of weeks.

And then there's A/C. I turn my thermostat up when I'm not at home; but because of DST I have to run the A/C for an extra hour in the evening after I get home because it's hotter later into the evening. That will certainly wipe out any electricty savings from leaving off the one light I ever have turned on at once.

Arizona has the right idea--ditch that bitch altogether.

Hamhock
2/19/2007, 01:43 PM

werd

MamaMia
2/19/2007, 01:54 PM
Who's to blame for the DST change? There's assloads of software that needs to be updated to deal with the new DST rules. It's like Y2 freakin' K all over again. :mad:
I don't know but I still have enough medical supplies left from Y2K to set up a triage. :O

VeeJay
2/19/2007, 02:09 PM
How is this going to affect the rise in ocean surface temperatures, and the melting of the polar ice caps?

http://www.worldwildlife.org/climate/images/polar-bear0901.jpg

homerSimpsonsBrain
2/19/2007, 03:01 PM
The only electricity we're going to save is with lighting, right? Except that streetlights aren't going to be used less; they'll just go off an hour later in the morning. Office buildings won't use any less because they have the lights on whenever they're open anyway (plus, the extra daylight comes after most of them are already closed). Ditto for stores, shopping malls, and schools.

So, the only electricty we're going to be saving is when people come home after work or school and turn the lights on an hour later, right? That will be at least partially offset by the need to have the lights on an hour later in the morning. Most of us are going to be going to work/school at the buttcrack of dawn in a couple of weeks.

And then there's A/C. I turn my thermostat up when I'm not at home; but because of DST I have to run the A/C for an extra hour in the evening after I get home because it's hotter later into the evening. That will certainly wipe out any electricty savings from leaving off the one light I ever have turned on at once.

Thats why I put "(in theory)" in there. :D

TheHumanAlphabet
2/19/2007, 03:14 PM
I don't understand how this is such a big programming deal? Don't you just adjust a software date or change the date a logic switch is made?

mdklatt
2/19/2007, 03:20 PM
I don't understand how this is such a big programming deal? Don't you just adjust a software date or change the date a logic switch is made?

Just like with Y2K the change itself isn't a big deal, but finding all the places that need to be changed might be.

Penguin
2/19/2007, 03:57 PM
I love DST!

It means that we're -5 UTC instead of -6. I know it's just psychological, but it just seems to make the shift go by faster when I get off at 19Z instead of 20Z.

Besides, I work the night of the time switch. One less hour of work for me!

mdklatt
2/19/2007, 03:59 PM
Besides, I work the night of the time switch. One less hour of work for me!

You might have to work an extra hour in November.

Penguin
2/19/2007, 04:05 PM
You might have to work an extra hour in November.

Oh, please. That's when I always seem to come down with the Time Jump Flu.

mdklatt
2/19/2007, 04:10 PM
Oh, please. That's when I always seem to come down with the Time Jump Flu.

After 365 years of this I think you'll be a year younger than the rest of us.