PDA

View Full Version : Can I buy you a drink?

TexasLidig8r
2/19/2007, 10:52 AM
More a question directed to the womenfolk on here....

In looking at the latest Sic dating angst thread, a number of the esteemed posters on here mentioned the old... "buy her a drink."

Does that even work still? It seems so cliche and contrived.

Isn't it in essence saying, so, I spent $2.50 on a cheap *** drink so now I should have the right to talk with you?

Is it still considered chivalrous chic?

Is it simply an easy, break the ice, opening move?

As a rule, I don't buy anonymous women "an opening drink." It just seems so corndogish.

So, women, what say you?

OCUDad
2/19/2007, 10:53 AM
This is not going to end well.

yermom
2/19/2007, 11:04 AM
they get free drinks, you get them drunk

sounds like win-win to me ;)

olevetonahill
2/19/2007, 11:07 AM
Yea but Lid you are a ghey :texan:
So why would you buy a Lady a drink ?

TexasLidig8r
2/19/2007, 11:12 AM
Yea but Lid you are a ghey :texan:
So why would you buy a Lady a drink ?

I'm giving up gheyness for Lent... Naturally, this means no manicures for those 40+ days and I'll have to start to scratch myself in public and belch and flatulate with impugnity, but, what the hell.

OCUDad
2/19/2007, 11:13 AM
I'm giving up gheyness for Lent... Naturally, this means no manicures for those 40+ days and I'll have to start to scratch myself in public and belch and flatulate with impugnity, but, what the hell.Give SicEm a call... he can help you with that stuff.

soonersweetie
2/19/2007, 12:59 PM
If the guy seemed genuine and sincere (not that I would have any idea if he really was or not), I probably would let him buy me a drink. Conversation never hurt anyone. But if I had an idea that he was doing it with ulterior motives, that would totally turn me off and I would either say no or throw it in his face.

So, I guess it just depends on the situation and the person.

SicEmBaylor
2/19/2007, 01:07 PM
If the guy seemed genuine and sincere (not that I would have any idea if he really was or not), I probably would let him buy me a drink. Conversation never hurt anyone. But if I had an idea that he was doing it with ulterior motives, that would totally turn me off and I would either say no or throw it in his face.

Let me end the speculation, no guy is buying you a drink just for the conversation.

Flagstaffsooner
2/19/2007, 01:13 PM
[Olevet voice] I'll give you a Natty if you come up to my hill, give me a BJ and clean up the dog and bird poop. Then I will throw you out and trash you on the boards.[/Olevet voice]:D

SicEmBaylor
2/19/2007, 01:16 PM
Well, if you're at a bar and everyone is drinking I'm not sure what else there is to do besides offer to buy them a drink.

It'd be kind of rude, I think, not to offer if you're at a damned bar.

LilSooner
2/19/2007, 01:17 PM
What the heck is wrong with, "Hey how is it going?"

soonersweetie
2/19/2007, 01:18 PM
Let me end the speculation, no guy is buying you a drink just for the conversation.

good point, lol. I tend to give you guys too much credit sometimes ;)

SicEmBaylor
2/19/2007, 01:20 PM
What the heck is wrong with, "Hey how is it going?"
That's way too simple to work. Go up to a perfect stranger and just say, "how's it going?"

I think I'd get an eye roll followed by "whatever" as she walked away.

I'm convinced you have to do SOMETHING for them in order to get a foot in the door be it buy them a drink, offer them to lunch, have coffee, make sure they "finish" first.....whatever.

OUDoc
2/19/2007, 01:28 PM
I'll have another drink.
You want another fish?

http://i.tvspielfilm.de/iimages/5/1/jar-80451-359x240-e.jpg

MamaMia
2/19/2007, 01:52 PM
I thinks its better if you ask them for a dance, and not a slow one. That should come later.

OUDoc
2/19/2007, 01:53 PM
I thinks its better if you ask them for a dance, and not a slow one. That should come later.
Table dance? Good idea. ;)

mdklatt
2/19/2007, 01:55 PM
But if I had an idea that he was doing it with ulterior motives

If?

Women, what is the deal? Can you seriously not figure us out? It's not hard at all. I know your brains work on a completely different level and all, but damn. You see all the Cosmo covers and whatnot in the checkout line with articles about "How to tell what your man is really thinking" [Sex. The answer is always sex.] and "101 ways to seduce a man" [101?! JFC, it's not really that difficult.]

tommieharris91
2/19/2007, 01:58 PM
That's way too simple to work. Go up to a perfect stranger and just say, "how's it going?"

I think I'd get an eye roll followed by "whatever" as she walked away.

I'm convinced you have to do SOMETHING for them in order to get a foot in the door be it buy them a drink, offer them to lunch, have coffee, make sure they "finish" first.....whatever.

And this is your problem. You think there's more to it, when it really is that simple. If your good with conversation, show your not a complete creep, and (most importantly) get her to laugh, you'll be fine. No need to buy her a drink.

Petro-Sooner
2/19/2007, 01:58 PM
If?

Women, what is the deal? Can you seriously not figure us out? It's not hard at all. I know your brains work on a completely different level and all, but damn. You see all the Cosmo covers and whatnot in the checkout line with articles about "How to tell what your man is really thinking" [Sex. The answer is always sex.] and "101 ways to seduce a man" [101?! JFC, it's not really that difficult.]

True dat

mdklatt
2/19/2007, 02:00 PM
And this is your problem. You think there's more to it, when it really is that simple. If your good with conversation, show your not a complete creep, and (most importantly) get her to laugh, you'll be fine. No need to buy her a drink.

Don't put the ***** on a pedestal.

OklahomaTuba
2/19/2007, 02:00 PM
Probably best not to ask if you can buy them a roofie though. ;)

soonersweetie
2/19/2007, 02:43 PM
If?

Hmmm, ok....Well, I was TRYING to give you guys the benefit of the doubt and assume that not every guy out there was only after one thing...sex. Obviously, you have pointed out that this isn't the case.

So...here is my bit of advice...maybe if guys tried to speak to the girl as if they were genuinely interested in her as a person and not just another notch on their belt, then there is a good possibility they would get a lot farther ;)

Of course, there is the option of just walking up to her and saying...so, do you want to ****? I've heard that on occasion that works too.

OUDoc
2/19/2007, 02:50 PM
So...here is my bit of advice...maybe if guys tried to speak to the girl as if they were genuinely interested in her as a person and not just another notch on their belt, then there is a good possibility they would get a lot farther ;)

I thought you wanted us to be honest. :confused:

mdklatt
2/19/2007, 03:09 PM
if guys tried to speak to the girl as if they were genuinely interested in her as a person

That's a surefire way to the friend ladder.

TexasLidig8r
2/19/2007, 03:25 PM
Well, if you're at a bar and everyone is drinking I'm not sure what else there is to do besides offer to buy them a drink.

It'd be kind of rude, I think, not to offer if you're at a damned bar.

Why would it be rude?

Are you enabling a false sense of entitlement?

If you want to find out a bit about her based on what she is drinking, that may be one thing.. however, there is no way to tell initially if the drink she currently has is her favorite or just something she's trying on.

How about a plain, simple, "Hi, I'm Sicem. I noticed you earlier and you look like an interesting person." If she has the presence of mind to ask, "Oh, how can you tell?" You hopefully have been observing her for a bit and pick up on one of her characteristics, for example, "I notice you talk with your hands quite a bit, which to me, shows you are an animated person.. or, your smile tells a lot about you."... look her in the eyes, smile and have a relaxed ease about you. Tell a joke or make a witty reply soon into the conversation and see where things go.

Buying a drink just seems... so 80s.:cool:

proud gonzo
2/19/2007, 03:31 PM
a bar is not a place to look for a potential serious relationship. Any guy thinking he's going to establish more than the impression that he wants in the girl's pants is dreaming. And any girl being hit on by a guy thinking he is sincere about something more than getting in her pants is dreaming.

BlondeSoonerGirl
2/19/2007, 03:36 PM
Lid...is...so...creepy...

proud gonzo
2/19/2007, 03:38 PM
i find it funny he's asking the women on the board, acting as if, you know, he was actually a man or something :rolleyes:

:D

TexasLidig8r
2/19/2007, 03:46 PM
Lid...is...so...creepy...

:eek:

:(

BlondeSoonerGirl
2/19/2007, 03:51 PM
:les: CREEPY!!!

TexasLidig8r
2/19/2007, 03:57 PM
:les: CREEPY!!!

Screw the drink.

Wanna go lingerie shopping sometime leetle girl???? ;)

BlondeSoonerGirl
2/19/2007, 04:00 PM
Sure.

If you know of a store that sells in your size.

:mack:

proud gonzo
2/19/2007, 06:32 PM
How much for the little girl? How much for the women?

OUinFLA
2/19/2007, 07:55 PM
I'm convinced you have to do SOMETHING for them in order to get a foot in the door .

lick your eyebrows, and smile politely.

olevetonahill
2/19/2007, 08:14 PM
lick your eyebrows, and smile politely.
Ya stole My line

proud gonzo
2/19/2007, 08:14 PM
I'm convinced you have to do SOMETHING for them in order to get a foot in the door i think not being pathetic is a good start ;)

SicEmBaylor
2/19/2007, 08:18 PM
There was a girl in line in front of me at the SUB today. Cute, definitely within my range...she had some stuff from ChickFilA and dropped a bag of those wafer things on the floor.

So, I pick them up for her and she thanks me and keeps turning around to smile. Well, as we're getting our plasticware and napkins she sheepishly asks how I'm doing and I said, "fine."

Okay, so on our way out she's looking for a place to sit so both of us head up to the 3rd floor (separately) to eat. Well, she gets a table a few down from me but it occurred to me an hour later (in fact all this was happening while I was posting on here about how hard it is to find someone) in class when I realized that I could have asked to sit with her.

Gandalf_The_Grey
2/19/2007, 08:22 PM
Hey now, I met my current g'f at a bar :P We were both designated drivers and we both just hung and danced together and it seems to be working..

olevetonahill
2/19/2007, 08:22 PM
ASKED
WTF ?

Gandalf_The_Grey
2/19/2007, 08:27 PM
There was a girl in line in front of me at the SUB today. Cute, definitely within my range...she had some stuff from ChickFilA and dropped a bag of those wafer things on the floor.

So, I pick them up for her and she thanks me and keeps turning around to smile. Well, as we're getting our plasticware and napkins she sheepishly asks how I'm doing and I said, "fine."

Okay, so on our way out she's looking for a place to sit so both of us head up to the 3rd floor (separately) to eat. Well, she gets a table a few down from me but it occurred to me an hour later (in fact all this was happening while I was posting on here about how hard it is to find someone) in class when I realized that I could have asked to sit with her.

Dude, your biggest problem is this in my range thing. Every girl is completely different. Go to the mall find a seat and watch couple, 90% of girls are dating guys below them....one reason being that girls for the most part take care of themselves, whereas most guys look like they just rolled out of bed. Some girls like really skinny guys, some like in between or muscular, or even chubby. Some like dark hair, some like blonde hair even some like pink. You are too busy trying to label aspects of your life. Life isn't able to be labelled...when you finally meet someone you really like, she is going to feel like she is way too good for you. You don't want to get some girl you have to "settle" for because she was in your range... Hell look at this board, most of us our ugly as hell and look at how gorgeous our women are ;)

OUinFLA
2/19/2007, 08:35 PM

If someone gave you the winning lotto ticket cause they didnt need the money, you would lose it on the way to cash it in.

or..........you'd probably decide you were not worthy of winning and just drop it in the trash.

mdklatt
2/19/2007, 09:18 PM

Sweet Moses Brown, even I am not that pathetic.

Anymore. :O

tulsaoilerfan
2/19/2007, 10:39 PM

We're guys; we ALWAYS have ulterior motives when we are nice to women, and it usually involves trying to get you naked:D

tulsaoilerfan
2/19/2007, 10:42 PM
Dude, your biggest problem is this in my range thing. Every girl is completely different. Go to the mall find a seat and watch couple, 90% of girls are dating guys below them....one reason being that girls for the most part take care of themselves, whereas most guys look like they just rolled out of bed. Some girls like really skinny guys, some like in between or muscular, or even chubby. Some like dark hair, some like blonde hair even some like pink. You are too busy trying to label aspects of your life. Life isn't able to be labelled...when you finally meet someone you really like, she is going to feel like she is way too good for you. You don't want to get some girl you have to "settle" for because she was in your range... Hell look at this board, most of us our ugly as hell and look at how gorgeous our women are ;)
Thats cause we are Soonerfans; chicks DIG the Soonerfans!!:D

SicEmBaylor
2/19/2007, 10:44 PM
Thats cause we are Soonerfans; chicks DIG the Soonerfans!!:D
I'm a sooner fan and it hasn't helped me.

tulsaoilerfan
2/19/2007, 10:46 PM
Someday you will marry a chick way out of your league, and you will have the SO to thank for that:D

proud gonzo
2/19/2007, 10:54 PM
I'm a sooner fan and it hasn't helped me.:les: THAT'S BECAUSE YOU DON'T LISTEN!!!

SicEmBaylor
2/19/2007, 11:02 PM
:les: THAT'S BECAUSE YOU DON'T LISTEN!!!

How you doin'?

OUinFLA
2/19/2007, 11:03 PM
:les: THAT'S BECAUSE YOU DON'T LISTEN!!!

ymssr

SoonerAtKU
2/20/2007, 08:55 AM
Isn't dropping the wafer things like 2nd base at Baylor? We should be congratulating him.

sooneron
2/20/2007, 09:14 AM
I have never had a woman that didn't appreciate it. Of course in NY, the drinks are a little more than $2.50.

sooneron
2/20/2007, 09:18 AM
Hmmm, ok....Well, I was TRYING to give you guys the benefit of the doubt and assume that not every guy out there was only after one thing...sex. Obviously, you have pointed out that this isn't the case.

Of course, there is the option of just walking up to her and saying...so, do you want to ****? I've heard that on occasion that works too.
Yeah, uh, that's all fine and good, but there are a LOT of wimmen out there that are happy with being notches. Hell, some of them are looking for notches.

sooneron
2/20/2007, 09:24 AM
And I met my wife at a bar. She, of course, held out on me for the longest time, ever.

Gandalf_The_Grey
2/20/2007, 12:33 PM
She held out because she was getting it from someone else ;)

TexasLidig8r
2/20/2007, 12:44 PM

That's because you aren't focusing on the ones who have twelve toes.