PDA

View Full Version : Highschool Correspondence Knowledge Possesors

Howzit
2/19/2007, 09:52 AM
Jr has gotten into theater and choir the last couple of years. She is sophomore this year, and when we sat down to look at credit requirements for graduation realized that she would have to take something in summer school or through correspondence to get the required credits.

Anyone have experience with this with your own kids or personally?

Sooner_Bob
2/19/2007, 10:05 AM
I completed my Master's Degree from Tulane via their Distance Learning Program.

I had 2 hour classes twice a week for like 3 years. You really have to be an independent learner. I guess I was since I grajiated and got my MPH.

SicEmBaylor
2/19/2007, 01:35 PM
How did the high school allow her to get into that predicament? Do they not double check class schedules?

Howzit
2/19/2007, 01:46 PM
BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!1

Good one Sicem!!!

Their counselors don't so squat. All they're worried about is how everybody scores on the TAAKS tests...or whatever the acronym is.

Actually, she's not IN a predicament, enrolling in choir would put her in a predicament. There are only enough slots for one elective...theater is that one.

She says there are other kids doing this...I don't know.

She also says she will talk to a counselor to get specifics, so far nada.

She also says she can't wait for two more years to pass so she can get out of my house. 'Cause I'm all unreasonable about being concerned about graduation and stuff.

I told her to save the drama queen **** for someone else, I wasn't interested.

Yes, that's a verbatim.

mdklatt
2/19/2007, 01:48 PM
Their counselors don't so squat. All they're worried about is how everybody scores on the TAAKS tests...or whatever the acronym is.

NCLB!

I told her to save the drama queen **** for the South Oval, I wasn't interested.

:twinkies:

SicEmBaylor
2/19/2007, 06:34 PM
BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!1

Good one Sicem!!!

Actually, she's not IN a predicament, enrolling in choir would put her in a predicament. There are only enough slots for one elective...theater is that one.

She says there are other kids doing this...I don't know.

She also says she will talk to a counselor to get specifics, so far nada.

She also says she can't wait for two more years to pass so she can get out of my house. 'Cause I'm all unreasonable about being concerned about graduation and stuff.

I told her to save the drama queen **** for someone else, I wasn't interested.

Yes, that's a verbatim.

Are you in Texas?

Rogue
2/19/2007, 06:53 PM
Can't she take one class in the early AM or late PM?

StoopTroup
2/19/2007, 08:57 PM
I would be in the Counselors Office along with the Principle of the School and we would be there until I got answers that either lead to her graduation or she can take her Senior year over again.

I like taking things to the next level quickly however.

LilSooner
2/19/2007, 09:02 PM
OU had a correspondence for hs students where you could take all kinds of hs courses. Check with the local JUCCO or college.

BajaOklahoma
2/19/2007, 09:23 PM
Howzit, check the school calendar. Our kids are taking TAKS tomorrow. All of the couselors are charged with monitoring the test and won't be available for talking to parents for a couple of days. Heck, we aren't letting parents in the building tomorrow.
Each school district determines its own curriculm, under the state guidelines. So what our kids could get credit for can be different thn what your kids would get credit for.

Online classes: has to be a self-starter. Limited choices, usually lots of reding, papers and tests. There is usually a ime line you have to follow - can't do it all in a week, have to do the lessons in order and everything has to be completed by a deadline.

Summer school: a semester is completed in a month. Limited class size and they are subject to cancellation if they can't get a teacher or there aren't enough kids interested.

I think the cost is around 300 each for the eClass or summer school.

This what our website has to say about them:
Ongoing registration allows students in grades 9-12 to enroll in eSchool, ***** ISD’s popular online program of courses. More than 1,150 students have registered for eSchool courses this school year, and another 500 students are expected to enroll before summer’s end, according to the eSchool coordinator.

“The 74 master teachers who guide and instruct students online are the strength of eSchool,” said Ms. Parmer, whose office processes 15 to 20 online eSchool registrations per day. Most students enroll in economics, government and physics, which are among 28 courses offered for graduation credit.

During summer months, enrollment peaks as students take advantage of offerings in the core subjects of English, social studies, math, and science as well as electives. Four non-credit courses are available, and several additional courses are in development or under revision.

Since its inception in February, 2001, ***** ISD’s eSchool has enabled more than 3,500 students to take high school courses online, on their own time, wherever access is available to the Internet and a computer. Students enrolled in eSchool have achieved an overall passing rate of 98 percent.

BajaOklahoma
2/19/2007, 09:28 PM
OU had a correspondence for hs students where you could take all kinds of hs courses. Check with the local JUCCO or college.

Our kids can take regular classes at the local community college for high school credit, but there are some strict limitations.

sooneron
2/19/2007, 09:49 PM
Sounds like a child is getting left behind...

Okla-homey
2/19/2007, 10:27 PM
three words:

GED

Howzit
2/20/2007, 11:26 AM
Howzit, check the school calendar. Our kids are taking TAKS tomorrow. All of the couselors are charged with monitoring the test and won't be available for talking to parents for a couple of days. Heck, we aren't letting parents in the building tomorrow.
Each school district determines its own curriculm, under the state guidelines. So what our kids could get credit for can be different thn what your kids would get credit for.

Online classes: has to be a self-starter. Limited choices, usually lots of reding, papers and tests. There is usually a ime line you have to follow - can't do it all in a week, have to do the lessons in order and everything has to be completed by a deadline.

Summer school: a semester is completed in a month. Limited class size and they are subject to cancellation if they can't get a teacher or there aren't enough kids interested.

I think the cost is around 300 each for the eClass or summer school.

This what our website has to say about them:
Ongoing registration allows students in grades 9-12 to enroll in eSchool, ***** ISD’s popular online program of courses. More than 1,150 students have registered for eSchool courses this school year, and another 500 students are expected to enroll before summer’s end, according to the eSchool coordinator.

“The 74 master teachers who guide and instruct students online are the strength of eSchool,” said Ms. Parmer, whose office processes 15 to 20 online eSchool registrations per day. Most students enroll in economics, government and physics, which are among 28 courses offered for graduation credit.

During summer months, enrollment peaks as students take advantage of offerings in the core subjects of English, social studies, math, and science as well as electives. Four non-credit courses are available, and several additional courses are in development or under revision.

Since its inception in February, 2001, ***** ISD’s eSchool has enabled more than 3,500 students to take high school courses online, on their own time, wherever access is available to the Internet and a computer. Students enrolled in eSchool have achieved an overall passing rate of 98 percent.

Oh sure...stick up for the counselors! ;)

Thanks for the detailed response, Baja.

Of course you are correct in that this is TAKS week and time is limited, but at Flower Mound we have been surprised at the lack of involvement and guidance with the underclassmen. We will schedule an appointment with Jr's counselor to hash through all this.

Jr met with her yesterday, and the story we're getting is that her only real opportunity for correspondence is to take her language credits. So she thinks she wants to take French 1 and 2 online.

Not. gonna. happen.

Jr's a good student, she's carrying about a 3.7 gpa, but is not a self-starter. She gets the work done, but much of the time it is late in the game. We'll get with her counselor when she's available and find out exactly what the options are.

Thanks again for taking the time on that.