PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever been on U.S. Hwy. 259....

AllAboutThe'O'
2/19/2007, 03:20 AM
from where it starts in Page (between Heavener and Mena, Ark.) to Broken Bow? Very lonely, winding stretch of highway up, through and over the Ouachita Mountains. On a whim, I decided to take the road as a change of pace while traveling to southwest Arkansas to see my folks. I counted a couple of communities along the way in Big Cedar and Hochatown (maybe you could add Smithville in there, since it's about a mile or two off the highway) and I could probably count the number of gas stations on one hand. But I kid you not, one of the songs playing on my satellite radio during my 65-plus mile journey on 259 through the mountainous side was the Beatles' "Long and Winding Road."

Hamhock
2/19/2007, 10:01 AM
no

AlbqSooner
2/19/2007, 10:36 AM
I used to camp in that area quite a bit. In about 1977, we went into the stone building gas station/grocery store on the Northwest corner in Big Cedar to get some munchies. Nothing had a price marked on it. A guy with us was from Connecticut, had long hair and a yankee accent. He got a 16 oz beer, a can of vienna sausage, and a small pack of Ritz crackers. He walked to the register with his goodies and a $5.00 bill. When he asked how much, the proprietor did the math in his head and said, "Ummm, looks like about $5.00." Skinned him good.

That is some beautiful country.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
2/19/2007, 12:42 PM
My mom grew up in Muse & graduated from Whitesboro. Both are just down the road from Big Cedar.

I only recall going from Broken Bow to Heavener once. You're right, it's pretty desolate but beautiful in the fall.