PDA

View Full Version : Gatewood: Friendliest Neighborhood in the World....

OUAndy1807
2/18/2007, 10:23 PM
We had no less than 4 couples come up and introduce themselves and welcome us to the neighborhood while we were moving in today. Unfortunately, none of them was Chick:(

Ike
2/18/2007, 10:32 PM
did any of them bring beer?

If so, then they are OK. If not, then make sure you lock your doors and keep the blinds shut.

soonerboomer93
2/18/2007, 10:38 PM
Maybe Chick is just gonna pull an Andy and not introduce herself :D

Rhino
2/18/2007, 10:41 PM
They're planning on robbing you soon.

OUAndy1807
2/18/2007, 10:44 PM
Maybe Chick is just gonna pull an Andy and not introduce herself :D
good point.

def_lazer_fc
2/18/2007, 10:48 PM
its gotta be better than my neighborhood. someone (probably teens in a big hillbilly truck) just plowed over my mailbox. like just now. seriously. ****!!

NYSooner1355
2/18/2007, 10:53 PM
we closed on our new house here the day before the RRS this year...so our first official day in the house was the day of the game...well, we went over early to do some stuff before the game and our neighbor and his family were out doing stuff across the street...

so, me, my wife and little boy went over to say hello and introduce ourselves...figured we'd be nice and try to dispell the old "New Yorkers are rude" myth by being friendly...well, I was wearing an OU shirt and my son (who was barely 1 1/2) was wearing an OU onesie...we introduce ourselves and the neighbor says to me in a fairly nasty tone "Oh, you're Sooner fans already??" I said, yes, he says "well, I like the Cowboys" and so I said "Well, we're all entitled to make mistakes"...he then pretty much walked away from us...my wife and I thought "what a dikk!"...

he's been okay since...I had to help him get into his driveway during that first storm we had back in Nov, so maybe that made up for me being a damn Sooner fan

proud gonzo
2/18/2007, 10:56 PM
in my parents' last house, my dad got tired of people plowing over mailboxes so he put a big metal pipe through the middle of his mailbox post and cemented it into the ground really well. One morning he was eating and heard a CRASH tinkle tinkle sound outside--some lady's car was half into our yard. she ran into the mailbox and it broke her front headlight out...the mailbox and post were totally unscathed

def_lazer_fc
2/18/2007, 11:06 PM
yeah, the really odd thing is that this was a big brick one. should just put a big steel box out there though and cover it with brick. that'd be hilarious the next time some punk decides to play games.

ChickSoonerFan
2/18/2007, 11:11 PM
SORRY!! I did not know you were moving in this weekend or I would have come by to welcome you guys!

The weather was nice enough me and my little one could have taken a walk to your house.

Are you guys all moved in? Do you love it?! Maybe I can show you guys a good local place to eat one night this week. Let me know.

NYSooner1355
2/18/2007, 11:18 PM
not that I'm being stalkerish...but where is Gatewood? I feel like I've been by there (at least that name sounds familiar)...just not sure...I'm still not good with the streets in/around the city

OUAndy1807
2/18/2007, 11:21 PM
just South of OCU. I think it's the biggest neighborhood in the OKC area (from Classen to Penn and 16th to 23rd?)

NYSooner1355
2/18/2007, 11:22 PM
I thought it was somewhere over there...I work in the Old Shepherd Mall and I'm pretty sure I've driven through Gatewood before

def_lazer_fc
2/19/2007, 02:11 AM
I thought it was somewhere over there...I work in the Old Shepherd Mall and I'm pretty sure I've driven through Gatewood before
where do you work at?

Jimminy Crimson
2/19/2007, 04:17 AM
where do you work at?

I'd assume Farmers...

soonerboomer93
2/19/2007, 05:06 AM
just South of OCU. I think it's the biggest neighborhood in the OKC area (from Classen to Penn and 16th to 23rd?)

dude, you're being stalked by a yankee

anyone wanna come by my house and say hello??? :(

1stTimeCaller
2/19/2007, 05:55 AM
Andy, I heard that there is a big swinger population in that area. Be wary of any party you are invited to that mentions something like a key swap.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
2/19/2007, 09:09 AM
I'd assume Farmers...Nope, he posted a while back that he's a school teacher.

AlbqSooner
2/19/2007, 10:29 AM
Gatewood made a comeback? I lived there in 73-74 and when I left it was fast becoming known as Little Hanoi. Nice to know it has recovered. Some homes in that area with real character.

85Sooner
2/19/2007, 11:06 AM

I went to gatewood elementary many many moons ago. at that time the neighborhood was getting kind of run down. Is it better now?

ChickSoonerFan
2/19/2007, 11:35 AM
Nope, he posted a while back that he's a school teacher.

There is a charter school in there, so I bet he teaches there.

Because Gatewood is so large, the neighborhood has good and bad parts. The area between Penn and Indiana, 16th to 23rd is pretty nice. Some really nice homes surrounding the Catholic church. And Carey Place is unique. The middle area is not so nice, and then as you get closer to Classen, it get a little better again.

When I moved to Gatewood in 1998, my friends were concerned! But I grew up in Mesta Park so it feels kind of like home to me.

Little Hanoi - heh

MamaMia
2/19/2007, 12:16 PM
We had no less than 4 couples come up and introduce themselves and welcome us to the neighborhood while we were moving in today. Unfortunately, none of them was Chick:(NTTIAWWT. ;)

Maybe shes baking you a welcome gift?

LilSooner
2/19/2007, 12:37 PM
There is a charter school in there, so I bet he teaches there.

Because Gatewood is so large, the neighborhood has good and bad parts. The area between Penn and Indiana, 16th to 23rd is pretty nice. Some really nice homes surrounding the Catholic church. And Carey Place is unique. The middle area is not so nice, and then as you get closer to Classen, it get a little better again.

When I moved to Gatewood in 1998, my friends were concerned! But I grew up in Mesta Park so it feels kind of like home to me.

Little Hanoi - heh

Lucky you! I love Mesta Park I would love to live there one day.

Jimminy Crimson
2/19/2007, 03:09 PM
Nope, he posted a while back that he's a school teacher.

ASTEC Charter School, that or the Real Estate Commission were my 2nd and 3rd guesses.

BigRedJed
2/19/2007, 03:17 PM
Gatewood is making a comeback. I wouldn't say it has come back all the way by a long shot. But there are some excellent, stable parts. It's a great neighborhood. My experience was much the same, with lots of people coming over to introduce themselves. Plus, there's an ice cream truck in the summer. It reminded me of when I was a kid. And yes, it is the largest neighborhood in OKC. Andy, just don't be offended if anyone asks you whether you are Catholic or whether you have kids, and acts disappointed when you answer no to either.

Classen-Ten-Penn, just to the south, is still very sketchy, though. Highest crime rate of any neighborhood in OKC. Fo reals.

NYSooner1355
2/19/2007, 07:51 PM
I work at the Charter School - as some of you pointed out

Sam Spade
2/19/2007, 08:02 PM
you must be white

forgot the ;)

BajaOklahoma
2/19/2007, 08:23 PM
the neighbor says to me in a fairly nasty tone "Oh, you're Sooner fans already??" I said, yes, he says "well, I like the Cowboys"

Sorry about that. Pokies are so slow to learn their manners.
If you moved onto Wolf Lane, that was my b-i-l. He's okay, just threaten to have his s-i-l talk to him. He is such a wimp.