PDA

View Full Version : Heard an interesting theory on OUr state divorce rate

Okla-homey
2/18/2007, 01:14 PM
We all know that our beloved Sooner State is a national leader in divorce at about 50%.

My bud has a theory. He thinks its because we don't have any cool places to get hitched. Think about it, hillbillies go to Eureka Springs all the time to get married (because you can do it there at 9am on Saturday morning or midnight Friday if you want.)

Those same hillbillies return to Tallequah or Burns Flat to begin married life, and when it goes bad, they file for divorce in Oklahoma. That drives our divorce percentages up because when you do the math to divide divorces by marriages, the percentage is artificially inflated because so many people leave the state to get married in a fit of passion -- but divorce here at home.

Therefore, I propose we build a centrally located 24/7 marriage chapel with easy interstate access and special rules allowing instant marriage licensing with contemporaneous ceremonies. Maybe in Bricktown. That would fix it.;)

Rogue
2/18/2007, 01:16 PM
By that logic Las Vegas, Gatlinburg, and the Pocono's should have the lowest divorce rates.

Okla-homey
2/18/2007, 01:24 PM
By that logic Las Vegas, Gatlinburg, and the Pocono's should have the lowest divorce rates.

Not Nevada, their relaxed and convenient divorce rules make it a mecca for divorce. Therefore, its numbers are skewed.

TN (Gatlinburg) is right there with us in OK, so I don't know what's going on there. It may be a function of the relative number of hillbillies in the population.

OTOH, PA (home of the Poconos) has one of the lowest rates in the US.

BajaOklahoma
2/18/2007, 01:50 PM
I think the stats should include info on the legal residence. You have to list it on all of the forms anyway.
then it would prove or disprove the Homey Theory.

reevie
2/18/2007, 01:55 PM
I think we should put Homey's 24/7 marriage chapel next to the midway McDonald's on the Turner Turpike. Seems like a fitting place for some reason...

Okla-homey
2/18/2007, 02:12 PM
I think we should put Homey's 24/7 marriage chapel next to the midway McDonald's on the Turner Turpike. Seems like a fitting place for some reason...

Now you're thinking. And we could rebate the turnpike toll when they buy their marriage license! Ka-ching!

jk the sooner fan
2/18/2007, 03:25 PM
i tried to level out the stats....marriage to wife #1 was in OKC......divorced in Texas...

MamaMia
2/18/2007, 03:38 PM
Hmmm...We also have more women in prison in Oklahoma as well.
I wonder if there is any correlation?

royalfan5
2/18/2007, 03:41 PM
The women in prison has to related to drug use doesn't it? So if you have more women using drugs, that would have to put strain on more marriages, thus driving the divorce rate up. Just a thought.

SoonerInKCMO
2/18/2007, 03:44 PM
I think some interesting things to look at when considering the divorce rate of a state would be the average ages and education levels of those getting married.

Okla-homey
2/18/2007, 03:55 PM
To be fair, I think it also has to do with the fact that Okies tend to be more "marriage" than "shack-up" inclined.

I bet if it were possible to track busted shack-ups, the numbers in states where shack-ups approximate the number of marriages would be very interesting and the overall number of busted relationships would eclipse the 50% divorce rate we have here.

Also, we do know this, people who "shack" before eventual marriage are statistically more likely to end up in a divorce later. That is well documented.

I just lament the fact that people are too quick to call it quits when the relationship inevitably advances past the "butterflies and hawtness" stage. I think Hollywood and soaps types are responsible for some of that because they perpetuate the notion that when the day comes you no longer get all dewy (or stiffy) when thinking about your spouse, it's time to try someone else.

That, my friends, is utter rubbish. Especially because given time, patience and frankly a bit of work on both spouses part, the "butterflies and hawtness" gets replaced by something far deeper, richer and more fulfilling. <Now, I'll get off my Dr Phil/Dr Laura soapbox>

In the words of the "Teutonic Titwillow," it's twoo, it's twoo!

SoonerInKCMO
2/18/2007, 03:57 PM
http://www.divorcerate.org/
Age at marriage for those who divorce in America
Age Women Men
Under 20 years old 27.6% 11.7%
20 to 24 years old 36.6% 38.8%
25 to 29 years old 16.4% 22.3%
30 to 34 years old 8.5% 11.6%
35 to 39 years old 5.1% 6.5%

Okla-homey
2/18/2007, 04:28 PM
http://www.divorcerate.org/
Age at marriage for those who divorce in America
Age Women Men
Under 20 years old 27.6% 11.7%
20 to 24 years old 36.6% 38.8%
25 to 29 years old 16.4% 22.3%
30 to 34 years old 8.5% 11.6%
35 to 39 years old 5.1% 6.5%

Those numbers are probably affected by the fact those older sets include lots of second marriages. Statistically, they have a better chance of success, mostly because people are more realistic about spousal expectations the second time 'round.

SoonerInKCMO
2/18/2007, 07:44 PM
Those numbers are probably affected by the fact those older sets include lots of second marriages. Statistically, they have a better chance of success, mostly because people are more realistic about spousal expectations the second time 'round.

Actually, the other numbers I saw while looking for the numbers above indicate that 2nd and 3rd marriages are more likely to end in divorce than 1st marriages. Kind of a 'serial divorcer' thing I guess. All the stats I've seen indicate that being older and more educated correlates strongly with having a marriage that doesn't end in divorce. That's why places like Massachusetts, with a highly educated population that waits til they're pushing 30 to get married, have a divorce rate less than half that of Oklahoma.

Rogue
2/18/2007, 08:17 PM
Blue staters are just better at relationships.

Sam Spade
2/18/2007, 08:26 PM
I think it's probably because of a) people in OK get married younger on average and b) religion.

Czar Soonerov
2/18/2007, 09:32 PM
I think they should legalize gay marriage in southeast Oklahoma. With all the rampant lesbianism going on down there, it would totally boost the marriage numbers.

Okla-homey
2/19/2007, 06:28 AM
I think they should legalize gay marriage in southeast Oklahoma. With all the rampant lesbianism going on down there, it would totally boost the marriage numbers.

Them gals turn lesbo outta necessity down thataway cuz all the mens be locked-up for meth and sech. 'Cept for Olevet.;)