PDA

View Full Version : Never adopt a "pet" that can take you.

Okla-homey
2/18/2007, 12:50 PM
It's one of "Homey's Cardinal Rules for Living."

Read below what happens when this principle is disregarded:

There has been more than one instance of this happening. The Cheetah "betrayed" her!:eek:

Cheetah Mauls Woman to Death at Zoo

ANTWERP (Reuters) - 37-year-old Antwerp resident Karen Aerts was killed Sunday by cheetahs at the Olmense Zoo in northern Belgium after she entered their cage. She was part of a special program that allowed her to "adopt" a cheetah, and helped pay for its food.

That cheetah, named Bongo, was also involved in her death. Zoo spokesman Jan Libot said that "Karen loved animals. Unfortunately the cheetahs betrayed her trust." She was dead when employees discovered her in the cage.

They believe she found a hiding spot in the park and came out after they closed, located the keys to the cage and let herself in. An animal rights group says the zoo should be closed for good, citing dangers to both visitors and animals alike.

"She was delicious!" -Bongo the Cheetah

proud gonzo
2/18/2007, 01:31 PM
i think the rule is not that you shouldn't adopt a pet that can take you, but rather you shouldn't be an idiot and try to play with a not-tame cheetah if you don't know what the **** you're doing.

she did a nice job of helping provide its food, though. :rolleyes:

Vaevictis
2/18/2007, 01:33 PM
Evolution. In. Action.

fadada1
2/18/2007, 02:35 PM
once again, according to bullet tooth tony - "you should never underestimate the predictability of stupidity."

GottaHavePride
2/18/2007, 02:47 PM
Yeah. Just because you "adopt" an animal and pay part of its feeding costs does NOT mean it instantly turns into a cuddly pet you can play with.

Now, had she raised the cheetah herself from birth that probably would never have happened. Or had she just not been a tard and BROKE INTO A CHEETAH CAGE AT A ZOO.

Okla-homey
2/18/2007, 02:56 PM
Yeah. Just because you "adopt" an animal and pay part of its feeding costs does NOT mean it instantly turns into a cuddly pet you can play with.

Now, had she raised the cheetah herself from birth that probably would never have happened. Or had she just not been a tard and BROKE INTO A CHEETAH CAGE AT A ZOO.

Caveat: Them ghey German fellers out in Vegas raise them white tigers from kittens. They are also expert in training them. Nevertheless, one of them got his head pert near ripped off by said "raised from birth" white tiger. Therefore, we may infer from this some species are impossible to domesticate sufficiently to make them completely "safe."

GottaHavePride
2/18/2007, 02:58 PM
Caveat: Them ghey German fellers out in Vegas raise them white tigers from kittens. They are also expert in training them. Nevertheless, one of them got his head pert near ripped off by said "raised from birth" white tiger. Therefore, we may infer from this some species are impossible to domesticate sufficiently to make them completely "safe."
Actually, the tiger only dragged him offstage to protect him because he had a seizure onstage. The tiger did almost no damage to him, but everyone in the theater freaked out and assumed the tiger was "attacking" him.

EDIT: if the giant animal thinks you're family, you're most likely safe. Crazy lady that got eaten, though, had no history of personal contact with the animal and then tried to invade its home at night.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
2/18/2007, 03:41 PM
This thread is perfectly named. !00% logical

Okla-homey
2/18/2007, 04:06 PM
Actually, the tiger only dragged him offstage to protect him because he had a seizure onstage. The tiger did almost no damage to him, but everyone in the theater freaked out and assumed the tiger was "attacking" him.

EDIT: if the giant animal thinks you're family, you're most likely safe. Crazy lady that got eaten, though, had no history of personal contact with the animal and then tried to invade its home at night.

But what's the sense in having an animal around that even if merely spooked, can easily kill you? Hmmm?

tommie15
2/18/2007, 04:31 PM
Well then explain this video. Bet you can't.

http://www.ebaumsworld.com/2007/01/lion-hug.html

How many of you said "Awwwww?" Don't lie.

Vaevictis
2/18/2007, 04:37 PM
But what's the sense in having an animal around that even if merely spooked, can easily kill you? Hmmm?

Homey's a chihuahua man, eh? :D

proud gonzo
2/18/2007, 04:43 PM
But what's the sense in having an animal around that even if merely spooked, can easily kill you? Hmmm?dogs can kill children--do you consider them a problem?

Okla-homey
2/18/2007, 05:29 PM
dogs can kill children--do you consider them a problem?

I said take me, not a children. Although, I consider it kinda irresponsible to own big aggressive dog breeds when kids are around. I know, I know, the pit bull fanciers will beat me up, but there it is.

soonerboomer93
2/18/2007, 06:23 PM
A big dog can seriously damage, if not kill an adult (male or female)

proud gonzo
2/18/2007, 06:31 PM
yeah--it's more a matter of knowing the animal and understanding it. there can be problems with any animal, and it take a certain kind of person to deal with big animals like that. there has to be a lot of understanding and respect, and no fear. caution, but not fear. Problems with those sorts of animals rarely happen in situations only involving the animal and the owner it is used to. there's usually a stupid person involved.

SoonerGirl06
2/18/2007, 06:46 PM
The biggest mistake is thinking you can tame a wild animal. It may happen in some cases... but those cases are very rare.

proud gonzo
2/18/2007, 06:49 PM
well, you just have to remember that it isn't a pet and it is wild--those instincts are still there, and if something unfamiliar or unpredictable happens, the animal will revert back to those instincts. the problem comes when humans expect the animals to be something they're not. However, taming an adult wild animal is a very different thing than raising one from birth.

Okla-homey
2/18/2007, 07:10 PM
well, you just have to remember that it isn't a pet and it is wild--those instincts are still there, and if something unfamiliar or unpredictable happens, the animal will revert back to those instincts. the problem comes when humans expect the animals to be something they're not. However, taming an adult wild animal is a very different thing than raising one from birth.

I still say anyone who would try to keep a great cat around is a moron and sooner or later, it will get him. I think that's also why federal licensing is required before owning one.

Ditto bears, wolves, elephants, gorillas, and wildebeests.;)

Heck, we got flippin' house cats who occasionally freak-out for no apparent reason and if they were forty pounds heavier, they could be a real problem.

Dogs, OTOH, with rare exceptions, unless so inbred they become headcases, are pretty safe.

sanantoniosooner
2/18/2007, 07:13 PM
Add poisonous snakes to the list.

Okla-homey
2/18/2007, 07:22 PM
and cape buffalo. Those things are mean and it takes a headshot to bring 'em down when they got a mad on....which is dicey because they wear a horn football helmet.

http://img480.imageshack.us/img480/9295/pppppppppppppppppbuffalmy6.jpg

proud gonzo
2/18/2007, 09:26 PM
i guess i'm a moron, then, because I swear someday i'm gonna have a tiger or a bear in my house.

or birds of prey, at the very least.

Ike
2/18/2007, 09:32 PM
i guess i'm a moron, then, because I swear someday i'm gonna have a tiger or a bear in my house.

will they have laser beams?

Jerk
2/18/2007, 09:52 PM
Darwin works in mysterious ways.

proud gonzo
2/18/2007, 10:05 PM
will they have laser beams?probably not :P

soonerboomer93
2/18/2007, 10:56 PM
will they have laser beams?

only sharks are cool with laser beams

birds of prey get little rockets they can fire off

Sooner_Bob
2/18/2007, 11:00 PM
I got a wolf-hybrid about 12 years ago and have to say that he was the smartest, coolest dog I've ever owned or been around. He was just enough wolf to make him pretty smart. He was a Malamute, Husky and Timberwolf hybrid.

Domesticated animals of all breeds could go nuts if the the setting is right.

proud gonzo
2/18/2007, 11:33 PM
yep

olevetonahill
2/18/2007, 11:44 PM
I have a Dog ( knothead ) a bird ( boomer)
and a Bear (dead) :D :D

olevetonahill
2/19/2007, 12:29 AM
Oh and as a caveit . I aint skeered of any of the 3 :D
Bird is more spoiled Now than Knothead .
I made pancakes this morning , For ME , Naw that dayum bird screamed at me till I made him one .
spoiled Sooner Fan aint he ? ;)

proud gonzo
2/19/2007, 12:44 AM
oh, they LOVE pancakes! ours are both crazy about scrambled eggs, too. and Calvin (the cockatoo) loves chips and salsa :D

olevetonahill
2/19/2007, 02:49 AM
Oh hes spoiled asz rotten
I made some Deer stew awhile back , had sliced carrots and Tatters and such . afte giving him 3 sliced carrots he spit that last one out , so I said hell heres some deer meat . The rotten bastage chowed down on it and screamed for more !:D
Have I said I hate him ?;)

soonerboomer93
2/19/2007, 04:31 AM
next time give him chicken :D

Okla-homey
2/19/2007, 06:21 AM

Then prepare to be in violation of federal statutes...unless you have a license, and I hear tell those big cat licenses are harder to qualify for than a machine gun license. This is a good thing, because more people have been killed or seriously injured by wild animals people naively brought in to their homes than have been killed by collectors who own M2 .50 cal. machine guns.;)

Raptors are a whole 'nuther kettle of fish. The big ones are generally illegal too. You could probably get a falcon, but it (or any other raptor) would constantly try to eat your other birdies.

AlbqSooner
2/19/2007, 06:54 AM
oh, they LOVE pancakes! ours are both crazy about scrambled eggs, too.
You feed your birds scrambled eggs? That is kinda like feeding your pet pig bacon!:eek:

Chuck Bao
2/19/2007, 07:31 AM
Cockatoos are the most psychotic and demanding of all pets. Well, mine was. I'd raised it from a little chick. It was never really happy unless I had it cradled upside down in my arms rocking, singing and rubbing its stomach. Otherwise, it was squawk, squawk, squawk 24/7. Balloons worked only so long to scare it to be quiet.

Attempts at getting a mate for life for it, never semed to work. I guess knowing the sex of the thing would be important. It probably wouldn't have mattered because this bird was totally clingy.

I ended up giving the bird to a family in the provinces. They had an outdoor cage and the bird could squawk as much as it wanted. And, they actually taught the bird to talk. So, that worked out well.

While we are entertaining flights of fancy with big cats and bears and birds of prey, I've got some crazy notion that I would like to have a raven. And, I'd teach my raven to say "Nevermore."

Okla-homey
2/19/2007, 07:45 AM
we had a pet coon when I was little. That thing was deranged. We never "tamed" it.

Chuck Bao
2/19/2007, 08:00 AM
We had a pet aligator and I use that pet term very lightly. I hate aligators and crocodiles to this day!

tbl
2/19/2007, 08:28 AM
Dogs, OTOH, with rare exceptions, unless so inbred they become headcases, are pretty safe.
Wrong. I just saw on the news last night (http://www.ajc.com/metro/content/metro/dekalb/stories/2007/02/16/0216dogattack.html?imw=Y) where a pit bull mix & boxer mix killed a 2 year old girl. I've never seen a news report where cats have killed or even injured a child, but I've literally seen them every month about dogs.

In every category possible;
Cats>>>>>>>>>>Dogs

Okla-homey
2/19/2007, 09:00 AM
Wrong. I just saw on the news last night (http://www.ajc.com/metro/content/metro/dekalb/stories/2007/02/16/0216dogattack.html?imw=Y) where a pit bull mix & boxer mix killed a 2 year old girl. I've never seen a news report where cats have killed or even injured a child, but I've literally seen them every month about dogs.

Cats>>>>>>>>>>Dogs

Granny used to say cats were prone to get on a babies chest and suck out its breath while the child slept if allowed access to babies' rooms. Just saying.;)

tommie15
2/19/2007, 09:47 AM
we had a pet coon when I was little. That thing was deranged. We never "tamed" it.

Hillbilly.

Sooner_Bob
2/19/2007, 10:09 AM

Did I mention that I've seen 3 bald eagles in the last 2 weeks?

NormanPride
2/19/2007, 10:50 AM
Granny used to say cats were prone to get on a babies chest and suck out its breath while the child slept if allowed access to babies' rooms. Just saying.;)

My great-grandmother used to say the exact same thing. But my first cat took care of me pretty well. He was nice enough to let my parents handle me sometimes. :D

Vaevictis
2/19/2007, 10:53 AM
Cats>>>>>>>>>>Dogs

Cats are creatures of the purest evil. They'd eat you alive just for the pleasure of hearing you scream, but they know that if they did, the gravy train would come to an end. So they don't.