PDA

View Full Version : THey just unplugged the work computer

1stTimeCaller
2/17/2007, 09:29 PM
It wasn't near as bad as it could have been. The roughneck thought it was the cord to the coffee pot. Our computer that reads the pulses from our downhole tool is pretty danged important.;)

I bet we fry it before the job is over. The rig power in the doghouse varies greatly and it already fried our battery backup and the one I bought to replace the smoked one won't work for some reason. I'm thinking if the power surged enough to fry the batt backup it'll damn sure smoke our $100k computer.

Jerk
2/17/2007, 09:30 PM
it'll damn sure smoke our $100k computer.

It's cool, man. It's not your money.

SoonerInKCMO
2/17/2007, 09:33 PM
$100k?!? What kind of computer are you running up there?

usmc-sooner
2/17/2007, 09:35 PM
I'd rather drink turpentine and **** on a brush fire than unplug the computer.

Jerk
2/17/2007, 09:42 PM
Would you like to play a game?

http://www.crispyneurons.com/images/b/b2/War_games_war_room.jpg

1stTimeCaller
2/17/2007, 09:49 PM
It's the brains behind our directional drilling. It decodes pulses from the tool, it keeps track of the depth of the bit, it makes our logs, it's durable as an old durable thing unless it gets unplugged.

Jerk
2/17/2007, 09:52 PM
It's the brains behind our directional drilling. It decodes pulses from the tool, it keeps track of the depth of the bit, it makes our logs, it's durable as an old durable thing unless it gets unplugged.

Kind of like that ghostbuster lazer-thing. Works great unless you cross the streams. Don't fkn cross the streams man.

olevetonahill
2/17/2007, 10:20 PM
Ive smoked a lotta stuff , But Ive never heard of smoking a computer .
Do you use a pipe , a bong . papers ? :confused:

1stTimeCaller
2/17/2007, 10:22 PM
I just put a beer can on it's side, make a flat spot, poke some holes in it and away we go.

yermom
2/17/2007, 10:24 PM
man, i'd think you'd have redundant power sources and multiple power supplies, not to mention already replaced the UPS... you aren't that far from a Fry's or something...

and by you i mean whoever runs your outfit

and usmc is right... that's bad ****, i've seen some bad **** from pulling the wrong cord...

yermom
2/17/2007, 10:25 PM
Ive smoked a lotta stuff , But Ive never heard of smoking a computer .
Do you use a pipe , a bong . papers ? :confused:

they never work right once you let the smoke out, it must do some important stuff in there

SicEmBaylor
2/17/2007, 10:25 PM
Does it get spyware really bad?

olevetonahill
2/17/2007, 10:28 PM
I just put a beer can on it's side, make a flat spot, poke some holes in it and away we go.
Aw that ole get rid of the evidence trick . Im down with that

Jerk
2/17/2007, 10:35 PM
Too bad I got a CDL.

I need to find a job that doesn't drug test.

1stTimeCaller
2/17/2007, 10:39 PM
man, i'd think you'd have redundant power sources and multiple power supplies, not to mention already replaced the UPS... you aren't that far from a Fry's or something...

and by you i mean whoever runs your outfit

and usmc is right... that's bad ****, i've seen some bad **** from pulling the wrong cord...

Sometimes they will send out a voltage regulator along with the UPS. The rig power isn't very clean but it's not usually this bad either.

I bought an APC 900VA 540 watts thingamajigger at BestBuy today. I wasn't there when they tried to plug it in but they said that the power supply wasn't good enough to even let it turn on, whatever that means. He then plugged it into the generator that runs our trailers so it would charge up.

We're going to try it again in the next day or two when we get a chance.

Did I buy the right thing?

yermom
2/18/2007, 06:51 AM
without knowing what is on either side, i couldn't tell you

that sounds like a heavier duty home UPS though, i think the one in my office has more juice

soonerboomer93
2/18/2007, 07:10 AM
yeah, it's a heavy duty home use one

100K is probably based on the software in the system, the hardware (depending on how unltra high the specs are) is probably worth less then 10k

1stTimeCaller
2/18/2007, 07:11 AM
There were others that had more backup time but we really just need about 15-20 minutes to get power from another source.

I'll check on the one that was fried when my relief wakes up

okienole3
2/18/2007, 10:21 AM
Are you a MWD (Movie Watchin Dude)?

SoonerBorn68
2/18/2007, 10:26 AM
It wasn't near as bad as it could have been. The roughneck thought it was the cord to the coffee pot. Our computer that reads the pulses from our downhole tool is pretty danged important.;)

Ours took a dump last night too. The night hand said it just shut off. Of course he couldn't get it back up and running. The one and only night I had a motel room booked so I could be with my family, & I had to waste half of it ****ing around with the computer--that he should have been able to fix. :mad:

1stTimeCaller
2/18/2007, 02:39 PM
Are you a MWD (Movie Watchin Dude)?

I yam

Harry Beanbag
2/18/2007, 02:57 PM
"downhole tool"....heh