PDA

View Full Version : kitchen range knowar abootars

jk the sooner fan
2/17/2007, 08:47 PM
we are about to remodel our kitchen....which includes taking out the old cook top and sticking a 30 inch range (electric glass top)

any of you have experience with good brands, bad ones....etc?

there's lots to choose from....

olevetonahill
2/17/2007, 08:54 PM
we are about to remodel our kitchen....which includes taking out the old cook top and sticking a 30 inch range (electric glass top)

any of you have experience with good brands, bad ones....etc?

there's lots to choose from....
Its been yrs since I was a builder and messed with that kinda stuff
But Id compare price , Warranty Etc before I bought anything .

jk the sooner fan
2/17/2007, 08:55 PM
the price points start out around 400 and go all the way up to 1800.....while i dont want the most expensive, i dont want the cheapest either

olevetonahill
2/17/2007, 08:59 PM
the price points start out around 400 and go all the way up to 1800.....while i dont want the most expensive, i dont want the cheapest either
If it s same warranty Id go cheapest . Plus you dont need OR really want all the bells and whistle crap either .
Just me tho

usmc-sooner
2/17/2007, 09:25 PM
When my house was built we got some pretty good mail in rebates from the kitchen stuff.

I'm a cheapo I mail all that stuff in.

JohnnyMack
2/17/2007, 09:29 PM
I actually used to work for a company that did kitchen & bath remodels back in tha day.

With that budget you could do a Viking or stretch a bit and go Wolf. For a more middle of budget pack Jenn-Air makes a hell of a product.

Frozen Sooner
2/17/2007, 09:33 PM
Two words.

Vik.
King.

JohnnyMack
2/17/2007, 09:42 PM
Two words.

Vik.
King.

D00d's never even won a playoff game. I think you're getting a bit ahead of yourself on his deification.

BajaOklahoma
2/17/2007, 10:00 PM
One word: gas.
You'll thank me later, I promise.

proud gonzo
2/17/2007, 11:21 PM
go with a viking. gas range, electric oven.

GottaHavePride
2/17/2007, 11:43 PM
Definitely gas range. I've heard the Vikings have a somewhat higher repair rate than some other brands, though.

I'd look at Wolf or Montague.

Wolf in particular has a nice 30" range/oven combo. http://www.subzero.com/wolf/description.asp?category=gas%20ranges&id=19

With Montague you might not be able to get exactly 30", but you get a lot more options as far as range tops go. Heck, if you can go up to 36" (might take re-doing your cabinets, though) you can get the 136-6 model: oven underneath, and on top you get 4 x 20,000 btu burners and a 12" wide fry top. :D

1stTimeCaller
2/17/2007, 11:50 PM
http://www.sewserg.com/images/products_main/M_8923_TFAL0T8080.jpg

YWIA

Boarder
2/17/2007, 11:54 PM
I hate the glass electrics for cooking, I like gas. But if that's what you're wanting, I'd go either a GE Profile or a Thermador. My mom went with this one:

http://us.st11.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.com/I/usappliance_1936_18040700
http://www.us-appliance.com/cetther45cer.html

She loves it because there's no knobs at all. Just one big glass surface. That place at that link is actually a good place to buy. One of the cheapest overall price on most appliances. You can always go to Expo and check them out in person (if they have that one still).

If you don't want to go super high end, I'd do the GE Profile.

Boarder
2/18/2007, 12:00 AM
OK, I didn't realize you wanted a range. Thermadour doesn't have a range with that top. You could go separate cooktop/oven. If you want a range, I'd do GE Profile.

In my current kitchen I have Sub Zero, Thermadour (gas), and Bosch appliances (except for the ice maker and trash compactor which are GE Profile). I have had more problems with the high end stuff than all previous cheapos combined.

jk the sooner fan
2/18/2007, 07:55 AM
i have a cook top now and hate it, of course its really old and 28 inches....which they dont make anymore....so i'm going to put a full range in that spot, and rip out the old oven/microwave combo that in the wall....and extend the counter top out - new solid surface countertops

we have electric there and it works fine, i'm not going to have things rewired for gas.....i've had them before and didnt really see the difference

BajaOklahoma
2/18/2007, 08:29 AM
we have electric there and it works fine, i'm not going to have things rewired for gas.....i've had them before and didnt really see the difference

Just be sure the new one has the same electrical requirements as the old one. I think our current cooktop needs more power than it gets.
We are seriously looking at new homes (as opposed to just dreaming) or we would switch the cooktop to gas.
I grew up with a gas cooktop, but have usually had electric cooktops in our homes - until I could get them changed.

Rogue
2/18/2007, 08:38 AM
We have a Hotpoint. It's pretty basic, but does the trick. I will have gas in here eventually. One of my family who's building a house bought most of their appliances online and claims he saved a fortune.

jk the sooner fan
2/18/2007, 10:01 AM
Just be sure the new one has the same electrical requirements as the old one. I think our current cooktop needs more power than it gets.
We are seriously looking at new homes (as opposed to just dreaming) or we would switch the cooktop to gas.
I grew up with a gas cooktop, but have usually had electric cooktops in our homes - until I could get them changed.

the contractor is going to do all the electrical work

TopDaugIn2000
2/18/2007, 10:26 AM
the house i'm buying has an electric glass top. i can't wait to rip it out and put in a gas range.

BajaOklahoma
2/18/2007, 10:42 AM
the contractor is going to do all the electrical work

So get a plumber to run the gas line and go with gas.
It is so much better.

Boomer.....
2/19/2007, 10:14 AM
I just picked up this electric range about a month ago and love it.
http://images.lowes.com/product/012505/012505543760.jpg
http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=245084-2251-FEFL79FC&lpage=none

jk the sooner fan
2/19/2007, 10:16 AM
ok, to all the "get a gas range"

i dont want a gas range

i want electric

and boomer, no offense but i've not heard good things about frigidaire