PDA

View Full Version : ATTENTION OU BASKETBALL "FANS"

okienole3
2/17/2007, 06:01 PM
If you are going to leave with 3 minutes left in a 5 point game......then don't even come at all. We don't want you there. I was embarrassed by the crowd today.

On a side note, what percentage of A&M fans had been to a basketball game before this year?

Ardmore_Sooner
2/17/2007, 06:03 PM
I agree, I have been contemplating bringing a sign that reads "Real Fans Beat The Traffic" and standing by an exit when everyone starts to leave way before the game is over.

tommieharris91
2/18/2007, 03:20 AM
Yea, I thought it was pretty ugly when our fans started leaving early. I thought it was even uglier that half our fans either didn't show up or give them to atm fans. texas aggies bussed in fans that took up half a section each.

OU_Sooners75
2/18/2007, 09:56 AM
We had fans there yesterday?

I didn't hear any!

Maybe those fans that go to the home games (I dont, since I do not have time to) should actually try to get noisy and loud and cheer for OU, not just when they are winning.

runner1182
2/19/2007, 01:05 AM
some of the fans were leaving at the 5 minute mark! very frustrating and a&m fans were louder than the home crowd! i also hate the fans who yell to the other ou fans sit down! like were at the library! those fans should be kicked out! i say stand up and be loud!

LittleWingSooner
2/19/2007, 01:39 AM
We can't even stay throughout football games anymore, why would you expect us to stay throughout a basketball game?

Collier11
2/19/2007, 01:40 AM
I am honestly SICK AND TIRED of hearing about fans being told to sit down at basketball games and even football games sometimes. I went to a bball game with a friend once and we sat in the donor section and I was told to sit down several times.

MEMO TO OU FANS:
1) Sports is entertainment, sports is pride, and sports is heart. IF you dont go to a game for any of those reasons then dont go.
2) IF you are too old or too lazy to stand up then get a handicap pass or dont go, SERIOUSLY!!!
3) Athletes often times thrive off of the energy in the stadium/gym that they play in. That energy comes from the fans. If you dont go to cheer your team at all times and not only when we do something good then DONT GO, SERIOUSLY!!!
4) I dont care if your tickets cost $500 and mine cost $15, if you dont want to go and enjoy yourself and be rowdy and get into the game, DONT GO!!!
5) LASTLY, if you fall into any of these categories then try watching a Duke home game, or Kansas, or Kentucky,etc... and take notes. There is nothing wrong with being loud, taunting the other team( as long as it is in relatively good taste), jumping up and down, doing chants or cheers(see duke and kansas), and cheering your team even when they are struggling(sometimes that is what they need to get their heads up and have that little bit of extra energy to change the momentum).

IF I HAVE hit a nerve with anyone I dont care, I am ashamed of SOME(be sure and realize that I am saying some, not all or even most) of our fans. We are an embarrassment to what is supposed to be one of the top athletic schools in the country........................................... .................................................. .................................................. .......................Now that I have stepped down from the soap box, lets start taking pride in being Sooners all the time and not just when we have are playing texas or osu.

LittleWingSooner
2/19/2007, 01:43 AM
I agree 100% that we need to have better fans, but you can't change the mentality of some fans. You can only control what you do.

Collier11
2/19/2007, 02:16 AM
IN all honesty the only thing that could probably help out is David Boren leaving. Dont get me wrong he has done a great job for our university but he is such a stuffed shirt. Come on, no signs at a basketball game. I know we have to butter up the donors but so does every other university yet most other schools seem to have found a good balance.

Frozen Sooner
2/19/2007, 03:11 AM
Why in the hell would you want to bring a sign to a basketball game? This isn't the WWF, man.

I'm all for everyone standing up and getting loud, but a sign?

Boren's got nothing to do with it-we had some pretty pathetic fan support in 1992, when Van Horn was the president.

Back to the topic:

It makes me sad to watch Duke having one of the worst years they've had in recent memory and STILL have SRO crowds that are cheering their heads off. Capel must be tearing his hair out trying to figure out how to get people to games.

Collier11
2/19/2007, 03:17 AM
I for one dont care about having signs, ive never brought them and probably never will. My point was if people want to bring them, they shouldnt have to worry about getting them takin away. The sign at the Tech game that said something like "its not like he choked him" in reference to Longar was brilliant. I wish bobby could have seen it. Like ive said before, it isnt going to happen but I think building a gym on campus would do wonders.

Collier11
2/19/2007, 03:19 AM
Why in the hell would you want to bring a sign to a basketball game? This isn't the WWF, man.

Who brings signs to support the world wildlife fund??? Frickin liberal pansies isnt it!! ;)

Ike
2/19/2007, 03:24 AM
It makes me sad to watch Duke having one of the worst years they've had in recent memory and STILL have SRO crowds that are cheering their heads off. Capel must be tearing his hair out trying to figure out how to get people to games.

Maybe make one night a week a promotional night. Free tickets to anyone who can give a decent war cry at the gate.

tommieharris91
2/19/2007, 03:32 AM
I for one dont care about having signs, ive never brought them and probably never will. My point was if people want to bring them, they shouldnt have to worry about getting them takin away. The sign at the Tech game that said something like "its not like he choked him" in reference to Longar was brilliant. I wish bobby could have seen it. Like ive said before, it isnt going to happen but I think building a gym on campus would do wonders.

I agree with you, but right now there are preliminary plans on building a new aquatics center on campus. This is just in the gathering interest phase, but it will probably happen before OU gets a new basketball arena. Personally I wouldn't mind seeing McCasland Field house get replaced. We could basically fill in where O'Connells will have been with parking.

LittleWingSooner
2/19/2007, 08:39 AM
Even when Tubbs was here our fan support was pretty pathetic. We've been good when big teams are in or when we've had really good teams but most of the time it's pretty anemic.

Rock Hard Corn Frog
2/19/2007, 09:34 AM
I agree, I have been contemplating bringing a sign that reads "Real Fans Beat The Traffic" and standing by an exit when everyone starts to leave way before the game is over.

Great idea.

I'm not going to be too critical of attendance because I haven't been to a game in Norman in several years. I however live 3 1/2 hours away and my brother who I usually road trip with to the football games lives in KC so traveling to Norman is basically a weekend trip. I've been to more OU games @ Kemper Arena or in Lawrence against KU than in Norman the last decade.

All that said if I lived within an hour of Norman I'd be going all the time. I don't get why the house isn't packed more often.

As for the game Saturday, on TV the crowd was good and loud in the first half, not so much when A&M took charge in the game which isn't a big suprise. Fans leaving with 3-4 minutes to go flat out sucks though. Why are so many people allergic to a little postgame traffic?

Truth is during even during the Tubbs era the crowds are generally only big and loud for the biggests games but the crackdown on signs is silly as is some of the (apparent) efforts by the administration to curb homecourt advantage. I didn't like it a decade ago when Sampson grabbed the mic and told us to stop chanting Texas Sucks and I don't like it when fans can't voice their displeasure with Bobby Knight. I'm not talking about turning the place into a war zone, just don't discourage the fans from standing up and making some noise.

Even if you hate Duke you have to admire how their fans rock the house.

LittleWingSooner
2/19/2007, 09:38 AM
I think Kelvin had to tell that to the crowd because the team would get a technical. I guess he could have just pulled another Billy and told the fans to quit yelling no matter how much Texas sucks.

Collier11
2/19/2007, 11:11 AM
I think Kelvin had to tell that to the crowd because the team would get a technical. I guess he could have just pulled another Billy and told the fans to quit yelling no matter how much Texas sucks.

WE CANNOT GET A TECHNICAL FOR CHANTING TEXAS SUCKS. The only way the crowd can get a T is for throwing stuff/running on the court as far as I know

soonercody
2/19/2007, 07:43 PM

I'm all for everyone standing up and getting loud, but a sign?

Boren's got nothing to do with it-we had some pretty pathetic fan support in 1992, when Van Horn was the president.

Back to the topic:

If I was gonna have a sign, it'd be my sig!

gravedigger
2/20/2007, 06:34 PM
Does standing up while you are cheering or yelling make you louder? :confused:

Collier11
2/20/2007, 06:50 PM
Why does it matter, if you are at a game and you want to get excited and jump around and scream, you dont need some stuffed shirt telling you to sit down because they would rather sit on their azzes!!!

Frozen Sooner
2/21/2007, 12:29 AM
If I was gonna have a sign, it'd be my sig!

Some random monkey has no idea how lucky he is that Paul Thompson was able to lead us back against Tech.