PDA

View Full Version : Houston Nutt gets a raise and contract extension

CShine
2/17/2007, 10:01 AM
Arkansas has shown its support for embattled football coach Houston Nutt by giving him a pay raise. Nutt said Friday that he has agreed to a raise, which athletic director Frank Broyles had mentioned when he announced a one-year contract extension for Nutt in December. The paperwork for the extension has not been finalized, but Nutt was expected to sign the new deal soon. Terms of the raise have not been disclosed, but it will boost Nutt's annual salary of $1,049,644.

"(Broyles) said it would happen, and he has always followed through," Nutt said, referring to the pay raise. "It just got lost in the recruiting."

Broyles said on Jan. 26 that he still planned to give Nutt a raise despite much displeasure from fans regarding the direction of Arkansas' football program. At the time, Broyles said he hoped to get Nutt's raise finalized by early February when the coach could take a break from recruiting. The only sticking point was that Nutt had not yet decided on whether he wanted the additional money now or when he retires.

Nutt said he saw the raise as a show of support from Arkansas after a rough two-month stretch that has included plenty of negative publicity and some fans calling for the coach to be fired. The raise also dispels the notion that the school intends to buy out the remainder of Nutt's contract. His new deal extends his contract through the 2012 season.

http://www.nwaonline.net/articles/2007/02/16/razorback_central/021707uafbnuttraise.txt

swardboy
2/17/2007, 10:11 AM
Hmmm....Nutt support

NormanPride
2/17/2007, 11:01 AM
"I'm can't win championships, get recruits or bring Arkansas back to glory. Give me a raise!"
http://www.longstoryshortpier.com/support/grimes.gif
"D'oh, D'oh, D'oh!"
:D

AllAboutThe'O'
2/17/2007, 04:02 PM
Just when I thought the Razorbacks were taking a step in the right direction with Broyles retiring, they take three steps backward with that move.

AlbqSooner
2/17/2007, 06:29 PM
Does Mustain's Momma know about this?

OklahomaTuba
2/17/2007, 10:07 PM
Looks like Broyles is getting force out as AD now.

Wooooo pig!

SoonerStormchaser
2/17/2007, 10:45 PM
Nutt gets raise?

Wait...how is that physically possible?

H8HOGS
2/18/2007, 12:26 AM
Just when I thought the Razorbacks were taking a step in the right direction with Broyles retiring, they take three steps backward with that move.

Why complain? As long as Balls is there the Hogs will suck. They missed their chance last year when Botch Davis wanted the job..

Great recruiter SH1T game day coach. Only coach I have ever seen take 2 timeouts after a kickoff and before the first play.

OklahomaTuba
2/18/2007, 12:11 PM
Guess you never saw John Blake then..

OU-HSV
2/18/2007, 04:06 PM
Houston effs up their program and he gets a raise :confused:

yermom
2/18/2007, 04:37 PM
how bad is he? i mean they won their division... they were almost in a position to play for a MNC this year

he split in their series with Texass and almost swept them

SicEmBaylor
2/18/2007, 04:51 PM
He's not that bad a coach. He's not great but he isn't that bad either. I've seen bad coaches and Nutt isn't that bad.

OU-HSV
2/18/2007, 05:52 PM
He always seems to lose the big games that need to be won. (aside from that Texass game in '04 or whenever that was, no other real big win comes to mind.) He damn near lost to Bama, Vandy, and South Carolina...and they flopped against LSU, Flordida, and Wisconsin. If they're going to treat the guy as an elite coach I think he needs to prove that he can finish a full season. I've always said he needed an O-Coordinator because I contribute the majority of his losses to his poor offensive play calling. So he finally set his arrogance aside and hired Malzahn...then he lost him. I've said it before and I'll say it again...Nutt isn't the one who was winning games for them last year, it was Malzahn's playcalling and their 1-2 punch in the backfield. So I guess I'll admit he's good at hiring assistant coaches (ala Malzahn and Herring).

Husker In Oklahoma
2/18/2007, 08:09 PM
how bad is he? i mean they won their division... they were almost in a position to play for a MNC this year

he split in their series with Texass and almost swept them
I agree. Considering Arkansas is about option # 8 or 9 in the SEC pecking order, his teams as a whole have won while he has been there aside from 2005 I think. Isn't Nutt the only Arkie coach to get them to the SEC title game? I think he has done it twice, with probably as a whole, less talent overall. Not a bad job IMO!

goingoneight
2/18/2007, 10:56 PM
Baylor dude's got a point. Nutt isn't too bad. But I do feel a program like Arkansas can afford and use a coach like Brown/Stoops/Carroll, you name it. Hell, if Louserville and West Virgina (and yes Virgina is spelled right) can have great coaches and attract them, a program with the talent and facilities like Arkie should be able to as well.

AllAboutThe'O'
2/19/2007, 02:53 AM
I agree. Considering Arkansas is about option # 8 or 9 in the SEC pecking order, his teams as a whole have won while he has been there aside from 2005 I think. Isn't Nutt the only Arkie coach to get them to the SEC title game? I think he has done it twice, with probably as a whole, less talent overall. Not a bad job IMO!
Danny Ford took the Hogs to their first SEC title game, back in '95, when they got steamrolled by Florida. Nutt took them to the SEC title game twice, this past year and back in '02. Truthfully, Alabama was the West champ that year but couldn't go because they were on probation.

AllAboutThe'O'
2/19/2007, 02:58 AM
He always seems to lose the big games that need to be won. (aside from that Texass game in '04 or whenever that was, no other real big win comes to mind.) He damn near lost to Bama, Vandy, and South Carolina...and they flopped against LSU, Flordida, and Wisconsin. If they're going to treat the guy as an elite coach I think he needs to prove that he can finish a full season. I've always said he needed an O-Coordinator because I contribute the majority of his losses to his poor offensive play calling. So he finally set his arrogance aside and hired Malzahn...then he lost him. I've said it before and I'll say it again...Nutt isn't the one who was winning games for them last year, it was Malzahn's playcalling and their 1-2 punch in the backfield. So I guess I'll admit he's good at hiring assistant coaches (ala Malzahn and Herring).
Nutt beat Texas in '03. I've said this before and I'll say it again, if Nutt could approach every game like it was Texas, he and the Hogs would be in much better shape (Nutt is 2-1 vs. Texas, and could very easily have been 3-0). But they've performed poorly in postseason conference title and bowl games (a combined 2-7 losing to elite teams like UNLV and Minnesota) and they have had a tendency to drop a game in perplexing fashion ('99 vs. Ole Miss, '02 at home vs. Kentucky and '05 at home vs. Vanderbilt immediately come to mind). The only reason Nutt still has a job is Matt Jones bailed him out a few times and McFadden and Jones is doing the same thing these days. Once McFadden and Jones fly the coop after '07, the Hogs are going to be facing a possible downward spiral.

OU-HSV
2/19/2007, 10:54 AM
Nutt beat Texas in '03. I've said this before and I'll say it again, if Nutt could approach every game like it was Texas, he and the Hogs would be in much better shape (Nutt is 2-1 vs. Texas, and could very easily have been 3-0). But they've performed poorly in postseason conference title and bowl games (a combined 2-7 losing to elite teams like UNLV and Minnesota) and they have had a tendency to drop a game in perplexing fashion ('99 vs. Ole Miss, '02 at home vs. Kentucky and '05 at home vs. Vanderbilt immediately come to mind). The only reason Nutt still has a job is Matt Jones bailed him out a few times and McFadden and Jones is doing the same thing these days. Once McFadden and Jones fly the coop after '07, the Hogs are going to be facing a possible downward spiral.
I agree w/everything you said here. And that's right, '03 was that Texas game. Damn near beat them in '04 but Matt Jones fumbled it down there in the red zone, right?
I agree, McFadden and Jones are the new bail out guys. It's obvious they don't have a passing game. And unless they find one, your downward spiral prediction will prove to be accurate.

H8HOGS
2/19/2007, 11:11 AM
My all time favorite Hog loss was the 1993? game against the Citadel at home.

But I do enjoy everyone of their miserable losses. You know they are going to pack it in. We were in Little Rock for Thanksgiving and I was getting ragged about them being 10-1 and I told them they would finish 10-4 and they laughed at me.

Guess I get the last laugh.

Miami 51 Arkansas 7 worse home loss ever for the Hogs. 1987

AllAboutThe'O'
2/20/2007, 12:48 AM
My all time favorite Hog loss was the 1993? game against the Citadel at home.

But I do enjoy everyone of their miserable losses. You know they are going to pack it in. We were in Little Rock for Thanksgiving and I was getting ragged about them being 10-1 and I told them they would finish 10-4 and they laughed at me.

Guess I get the last laugh.

Miami 51 Arkansas 7 worse home loss ever for the Hogs. 1987
The Citadel loss was in 1992; I oughta know, I was in the stands that day. Got beat 10-3 with the only Citadel TD coming on a fumble return. The next day, Jack Crowe was fired as head coach and the following week, with the immortal Joe Kines roaming the sidelines, Hogs blast South Carolina in the inaugural SEC contest. Hogs go on to win two more games that year, though one came at previously undefeated Tennessee on a last-second field goal.
The 51-7 game actually was played at War Memorial Stadium in Little Rock. It got so out of hand that Miami players were caught on camera playing tic-tac-toe on an erase-board. The USC loss last year was probably the worst loss for them in Fayetteville, at least in modern times.

SoonerTerry
2/20/2007, 03:04 AM
Not to get off topic here, but I just noticed H8HOGS location..... on top of your mom..

H8HOGS
2/20/2007, 09:16 AM
Not to get off topic here, but I just noticed H8HOGS location..... on top of your mom..

Changed it a week ago..Nice catch.. It is that a no no over here?

The 51-7 game actually was played at War Memorial Stadium in Little Rock.

Yes it was but until the expansion of Razorback stadium to something larger than a high school stadium it the late 90's they played half their games in Little Rock and half in Fayetteville.

The funny thing about that game I remember them talking how they could not only play with Miami but beat them.

My first Razorback game was the 17-0 loss to SMU in the rain in 1983. Since then I have been to 20-25 games and pulled for the other team everytime.. I like to tailgate even if I hate the team.

Luthor
2/20/2007, 05:36 PM
I'm just waiting for the headline to come out in the Little Rock Gazette, "Nutt Hung Out To Dry". Anywhere else it could happen but not likely for the fulltime cast of Deliverance there in Arkiesaw. They think he's just wonderful.

rufnek05
2/20/2007, 07:20 PM
Hmmm....Nutt support

haha, classic

AllAboutThe'O'
2/21/2007, 07:22 PM
The funny thing about that game I remember them talking how they could not only play with Miami but beat them.

I took a sip of that Kool-Aid back then. Guilty as charged.