PDA

View Full Version : Hey Military types...

royalfan5
2/16/2007, 04:07 PM
How common is this situation: My cousin just started basic training with the Marines towards the beginning of January. Last week he suffered serious head injuries in fall from a ropes obstacle. He then also contracted pneumonia. So they are sending him home once he is sufficently recovered. He then has to start over or quit. Do injuries like this happen a lot, and do people come back after they leave and start over very often?

fadada1
2/16/2007, 04:09 PM
all depends. but that would sound about right. better for him to recover at home than to sit around doing nothing on base. since he was only a few weeks in, they may feel that the extra couple weeks is no big deal for him to do again.

hopefully he's OK and recovers quickly.

reevie
2/16/2007, 04:16 PM
It was about 10 years ago or so, my uncle joined the USMC, went to basic twisted his knee or something and they sent him home afterwards.

MojoRisen
2/16/2007, 04:25 PM
It was about 10 years ago or so, my uncle joined the USMC, went to basic twisted his knee or something and they sent him home afterwards.

My nephew was a Ranger in Afganistan and Iraq- came home and joined the Green Baret- He went through 11 weeks and was the squad leader and then got Hypothermia and his body temp was like 90 degree's - He got sent home and has too do all 11 weeks again or quit.

KABOOKIE
2/16/2007, 04:28 PM
That sound about right. Your cousin is lucky. Back in my day if you hurt yourself, they sent you to a Medical Holding Platoon and your *** stayed there until you were healthy enough to re-start training. It sucks being a recruit in boot camp for the standard 3 months. I can't imagine the hell a young kid would go through if he had to spend an additional 6 months as a recruit under the Medical Platoon.

SoonerStormchaser
2/16/2007, 04:36 PM
My roommate at OTS tore his ACL and MCL 10.5 weeks into the 12 week program. He was lucky too, cause had he tore it even one day prior, he woulda been sent home after being sewn up. From what I hear, it's been almost 5 months since and they still haven't sewn him up, which means he's still waiting to start ABM school in Florida.

MojoRisen
2/16/2007, 04:38 PM
No doubt- that would be brutal.... They said he can stay in the guard or he is invited back in 6 months to do it all over again.

LoyalFan
2/16/2007, 04:51 PM
WALK IT OFF!

Sincerely,

B. Knight
AKA "Care Bear"
Lubbock Texiz

C&CDean
2/16/2007, 04:54 PM
They call it "recycling."

When I went to jump school at Ft. Benning, I already had an "Airborne" tattoo (really stupid thing to do). At the end of the first week, I was told I didn't complete that week's training in a satisfactory manner, and if I wished to become airborne qualified, I'd have to start over. They did this to me for 3 straight weeks. Week one is called "ground week" and pretty much consists of nothing but P.T. Serious P.T.

During the 4th "first week" my grandfather died. I went home for the funeral, came back, and started all over again at day 1. I was one in-shape mofo.

By this time they had gone into winter uniform, which meant sleeves rolled down. I managed to get through ground week, into tower week, and finally jump week. If we still had sleeves up I'd probably still be in ground week.

So, basically you are in a training class. If for any reason you fall out of that training class, you are reassigned to a new class. Starting at day one.

TUSooner
2/16/2007, 04:55 PM
I was in the Navy's highly secret Underwater Demolition Band. I played the trombazooka. but if I say any more about it I'll have to shut down the board and kill everybody.

You're welcome.

C&CDean
2/16/2007, 04:56 PM
I was in the Navy's highly secret Shower Experiment. I played receiver. but if I say any more about it I'll have to admit the Navy switched to powdered soap because of me.

You're welcome.

TMI

jk the sooner fan
2/16/2007, 04:59 PM
i think alot of it depends what level training your'e in.....if its "basic", then they can (depending on the severity of the injury), kick you out on a admin discharge

TUSooner
2/16/2007, 05:01 PM
TMI

You can live; but you just don't know how close you came to the edge. :cool:

C&CDean
2/16/2007, 05:05 PM
You can live; but you just don't know how close you came to the edge. :cool:

Thanks handthome.

usmc-sooner
2/16/2007, 05:09 PM
we had guys who got hurt and they were put in a medical holding platoon. Some of the guys would just not report their injuries because they didn't want any more than the 3 lovely months with Marine Corps DI. You also have to qual on the rifle range or they'll set you back until the next platoon comes along on the range. We picked up a guy like that and he was in misery.

LoyalFan
2/16/2007, 05:11 PM
I was in the Navy's highly secret Underwater Demolition Band. I played the trombazooka. but if I say any more about it I'll have to shut down the board and kill everybody.

You're welcome.

Another Kerry-like claim of greatness proven false!
Records recently discovered show that you were in the 6&7/8ths
Clandestine Mess Kit Repair Battalion (Airmobile).
A former member of the unit tells our reporter that you were dismissed in disgrace after becoming ill at the sight of dried egg yolk on an M-235 Semi-Automatic Fork.

Let the unvarnished truth, though cruel, be told!

LF
The Very Model Of A Modern Major General

slickdawg
2/16/2007, 05:13 PM
"Your feet are so damned flat, no branch will ever accept you"

That's as far as I got.

TUSooner
2/16/2007, 05:14 PM
Thanks handthome.

I'd threaten you with a trombazooka up the wazoo, but you'd probably like it.

Dean - I've seen the 82nd Airborne Chorus. Just because they could rip your head off with one hand doesn't mean they aren't GAAAAAAY.

On the other hand, the Navy Band had the most stridently heterosexual bunch of lazy cowards in the military.

:D

jk the sooner fan
2/16/2007, 05:15 PM
my feet are just as flat and they took me.....of course it was the reason i had so many foot problems

slickdawg
2/16/2007, 05:21 PM
my feet are just as flat and they took me.....of course it was the reason i had so many foot problems

Mine are killing me today.

Harry Beanbag
2/16/2007, 07:12 PM
That sound about right. Your cousin is lucky. Back in my day if you hurt yourself, they sent you to a Medical Holding Platoon and your *** stayed there until you were healthy enough to re-start training. It sucks being a recruit in boot camp for the standard 3 months. I can't imagine the hell a young kid would go through if he had to spend an additional 6 months as a recruit under the Medical Platoon.

Yep, they had the med hold unit when I was in boot camp too.

Tailwind
2/16/2007, 11:03 PM
I miss football.

Okla-homey
2/17/2007, 06:07 AM
Here's pretty much the overarching principle observed by all the branches on new accessions who develop medical difficulties. If the military has money invested in the guy, they'll often be patient (pardon the pun) when medical problems pop-up. Put another way, if he or she were the recipient of a scholarship or an academy grad, or was paid a sizable enlistment bonus because of experience or educational background, the branch tends to be willing to wait a while to see if the medical problem heals or cures.

OTOH, if the problem affects a recruit in which little has been invested, and it occurs fairly early in his or her training...see ya.

It's really mostly a dollars and cents driven decision.

SoonerTerry
2/17/2007, 07:03 AM
Just rub some dirt on it...

Okieflyer
2/17/2007, 10:00 AM
Bends and thrusts can kill you!:O