PDA

View Full Version : So my company got bought out today

Osce0la
2/16/2007, 10:40 AM
by some major bank based out of Spain. I was worried about it when I heard it on the news this morning because rumors were flying around yesterday about us being bought by a Florida based bank (which would mean my job would be in jeopardy). Turns out we ended up being bought by some bank based out of Spain and they are going to keep most (nearly all) of the staff they currently have working here - great news.

I was reading an article about it this morning that made me laugh though. Apparently this bank (the one that bought us) was looking to expand into the United States - and they were looking to do it in a large Spanish speaking community. What better place than Alabama, Florida, and Texas...Seems the basis of our appeal wasn't the fact that our bank was doing so well, but more the fact that we have a lot of Spanish speaking residents in the areas where our banks are located.

In other news, our stock jumped up 13% yesterday with the rumors of this acquisition. Our CEO made over 20 million dollars from company stock alone because of this deal...

Octavian
2/16/2007, 10:55 AM
Bama has a lot of espanol talkers?

Didn't know that....

oh, 'grats on dodging the axe ;)

Osce0la
2/16/2007, 11:00 AM
Alabama has way to many espanol talkers. As I've said before on this board, I have a friend that got turned down for a job at freaking Wal Mart because he couldn't speak Spanish...

soonersweetie
2/16/2007, 11:39 AM
Probably my biggest pet peeve in the world...

If in America, speak English. Just like if we were in France we would be required to speak French, or Italy-Italian, etc.

and why are driver tests given in Spanish if road signs are in English, just sayin....

mdklatt
2/16/2007, 12:07 PM
Just like if we were in France we would be required to speak French, or Italy-Italian, etc.

When I was in Italy, almost everybody spoke English to me before I even opened my mouth.

GottaHavePride
2/16/2007, 03:20 PM
Yeah, I spent nearly a week in France an didn't have to speak any French.

Hamhock
2/16/2007, 03:26 PM

how were the fries?

Osce0la
2/16/2007, 04:07 PM
Also, for you Texas resident hillbillies. 3 banks in Texas will now be merging with our bank. Texas Regional Bancshares, State National Bancshares, and Laredo National Bancshares will all be merging with Compass Bank sometime over the next 1-2 years. Just in case any of you bank with any of those...

Osce0la
2/16/2007, 04:08 PM
how were the fries?
They were French obviously...:rolleyes:

Widescreen
2/16/2007, 05:07 PM
Did you try getting a job at a French company? I'll bet they'd expect French talking.

slickdawg
2/16/2007, 05:14 PM

Didja try to become a french citizen?

Osce0la
2/16/2007, 05:18 PM
Didja try to become a french citizen?
Better question would be did you try to get insurance and all that stuff while remaining an American citizen?