PDA

View Full Version : Attn: College Financial Aide Gurus

soonerhubs
2/16/2007, 01:11 AM
I have this offer for the fall. Can someone tell me what a tuition remission means?
TIA

"we can guarantee that you will receive at least a .30 FTE assignment for next year. A .30 FTE teaching or research assistantship would pay a monthly stipend of approximately $973 a month for September 15, 2007 through June 15, 2008. All positions also have a complete tuition remission for the terms of the assistantship."

yermom
2/16/2007, 01:57 AM
sounds like you don't pay tuition

that may not cover fees though

noleamite
2/16/2007, 02:16 AM
Looks to me like your getting a full ride plus $973 a month chief. Remission = the relinquishment of a payment, obligation, etc.

soonerhubs
2/16/2007, 11:31 AM
Sounds like I need to jump on this opportunity. Thanks for the input. Looks like we may be enjoying Corvallis, Oregon for a few years. PS: Don't get this confused with Eugene. ;)

KABOOKIE
2/16/2007, 11:33 AM
What's a .30 FTE assignment?

royalfan5
2/16/2007, 11:34 AM
What's a .30 FTE assignment?
It means he would work 30% of a full time equivalent. I have the same deal as he does more or less, but I am .50 FTE.

mdklatt
2/16/2007, 11:35 AM
Sounds like I need to jump on this opportunity. Thanks for the input. Looks like we may be enjoying Corvallis, Oregon for a few years. PS: Don't get this confused with Eugene. ;)

Corvallis = Pot Aggies

soonerhubs
2/16/2007, 11:40 AM
It means he would work 30% of a full time equivalent. I have the same deal as he does more or less, but I am .50 FTE.
Okay Royal fan, what does this mean in regards to tuition then? TIA

soonerhubs
2/16/2007, 11:42 AM
Corvallis = Pot Aggies
You ever been to Newport Oregon? It's about an hour away, and the coast is just spell binding. If pot is what they smoke, then that just makes a friendler environment right? :)

mdklatt
2/16/2007, 11:48 AM
It sounds like you get tuition waived (but you probably still have to pay a bunch of fees) plus a monthly salary, which is a pretty standard deal for GAs. At OU at least, GAs are not eligible for benefits or paid leave.

royalfan5
2/16/2007, 11:49 AM
Okay Royal fan, what does this mean in regards to tuition then? TIA
At the University of Nebraska it means that I just have to cover fees, and tution is waived for X number of hours a semester and Y number of summer credits(12 and 6 for me, your results may vary) Then I get paid Z per month as well, all in exchange for my assistantship. I'm sure that's what you are being offered. In addition, you won't lose you financial aid eligibility if you need to borrow more money for school expenses then that.

Vaevictis
2/16/2007, 01:05 PM
I have this offer for the fall. Can someone tell me what a tuition remission means?
TIA

"we can guarantee that you will receive at least a .30 FTE assignment for next year. A .30 FTE teaching or research assistantship would pay a monthly stipend of approximately $973 a month for September 15, 2007 through June 15, 2008. All positions also have a complete tuition remission for the terms of the assistantship."

At OU anyway, this means that they cover X hours of resident tuition, Y hours of non-resident tuition, and none of the fees.

You need to ask someone at your university. At OU, IIRC, they cover 9 hours of resident and 7 hours of non-resident tuition for a .5FTE employee. It may go down if you're only .3FTE.

You get the stipend and other benefits on top of this (for example, at OU, you get a small health insurance plan subsidized).

TheHumanAlphabet
2/16/2007, 01:51 PM
At OU anyway, this means that they cover X hours of resident tuition, Y hours of non-resident tuition, and none of the fees.

You need to ask someone at your university. At OU, IIRC, they cover 9 hours of resident and 7 hours of non-resident tuition for a .5FTE employee. It may go down if you're only .3FTE.

You get the stipend and other benefits on top of this (for example, at OU, you get a small health insurance plan subsidized).

What V said. When I was in grad school, the remission covered out of state down to in-state if out of state or fully covered in-state. Better get confirmation in writing what exactly is covered and waived.

Best thing I ever did - stay in Norman over the summer of 1979 and became resident (when it was easy). Got me in-state for the rest of my life at OU...

soonerhubs
2/18/2007, 07:34 PM
Thanks for the input guys. Sounds like a deal I'd be a fool to turn down.

tommieharris91
2/18/2007, 07:38 PM

Well, they do call themselves OSU, and they're colors are orange and black.

They're mascot is Beavers, though...

soonerhubs
2/18/2007, 07:41 PM
Well, they do call themselves OSU, and they're colors are orange and black.

They're mascot is Beavers, though...
:D

Rogue
2/18/2007, 08:03 PM
Which degree program did you decide on Hubler?

Vaevictis
2/18/2007, 08:08 PM
Thanks for the input guys. Sounds like a deal I'd be a fool to turn down.

It really depends on who you end up working for. Some professors let you off with a relatively light workload, some work you to the bone. Either way, you still get the same stipend monthly, and the same tuition breaks.

soonerhubs
2/19/2007, 12:21 AM
It really depends on who you end up working for. Some professors let you off with a relatively light workload, some work you to the bone. Either way, you still get the same stipend monthly, and the same tuition breaks.
Good Point. I'll use that information next month when I go to visit and inquire about the program.

GottaHavePride
2/19/2007, 12:35 AM

Exactly. For me (out of state) they fully waive 6 hours of non-resident tuition, and they'll waive the non-resident portion only for 3 more (meaning if I take over six hours I have to pay resident tuition for anything past 6 hours). I still have to pay fees. They also pay for basic student health insurance, but that probably differes from university to university.

Oh, and I'm .5 FTE - I supposedly work 20 hours a week. with the orchestra, though, it sometimes winds up being a lot more than that. It's ok, though, because my coursework is almost nil. ;)

Vaevictis
2/19/2007, 01:13 AM
0.5FTE here. I work anywhere from 0-110 hours a week, depending on how the stuff in the pipeline has been queued up. I mostly decide how much I work; the stuff I do is pretty hard for my boss to gauge as long as I get it done within reasonable time frames. (Part of this has to do with the fact that I'm an expert in some of the subject matter, and what would take your average student a whole month, I can bang out in a day)

Usually, I'll do 10 hours a week for a month or two, and then bang out 12-18 hour days for a week or two. The way things look right now, I'm thinking Spring Break will be one of those weeks.

soonerhubs
3/2/2007, 12:12 AM
Update: OkState is offering me a $5,000 dollar Annual Fellowship for their Master's Program, and I'm waiting to see what the Assistantship offer is. Anyone know if this is good for OkState?

I know, I know, but OU doesn't have a Family Science Grad Program. :)

mdklatt
3/2/2007, 12:16 AM
OU doesn't have a Family Science Grad Program.

What in tarnation is Family Science? It sounds aggielicious. :confused:

soonerhubs
3/2/2007, 12:17 AM
What in tarnation is Family Science? It sounds aggielicious. :confused:
Human Development and Family Science. I promise, it's a legit field. :mad:

;)

mdklatt
3/2/2007, 12:31 AM
Human Development and Family Science. I promise, it's a legit field.

Well, you never can be too sure. You know how the agroids like to put on airs.

"Animal Science" = cow milking
"Mechanical Engineering" = tractor repair
"Football Coach" = Mike Gundy

soonerhubs
3/2/2007, 12:32 AM
Well, you never can be too sure. You know how the agroids like to put on airs.

"Animal Science" = cow milking
"Mechanical Engineering" = tractor repair
"Football Coach" = Mike Gundy

Touche. :)

soonerhubs
3/2/2007, 10:47 AM
Any new advice?

tommieharris91
3/2/2007, 10:52 AM
Ummm... you sure OU doesn't have a similar program? Or anywhere else for that matter?

soonerhubs
3/2/2007, 11:09 AM
Ummm... you sure OU doesn't have a similar program? Or anywhere else for that matter?
Oregon State, TExas Tech, Ohio State, and Maryland as well. Okstate was my only chance of getting closer to home for a while.