PDA

View Full Version : Latest in "As the Razorbacks Turn..."

AllAboutThe'O'
2/15/2007, 04:24 PM
This story has been the talk around the office all day.

http://www.wholehogsports.com/adg/181954/

AllAboutThe'O'
2/15/2007, 04:30 PM
And, if this report is true, Frank Broyles' lengthy reign as Arkansas A.D. is about to come to a sudden end:

http://www.arktimes.com/blogs/arkansasblog/2007/02/a_hogstoric_moment.aspx

OSUAggie
2/15/2007, 04:34 PM
Those people have gone completely insane, somehow topping their already impressively insane levels.

Jello Biafra
2/15/2007, 04:51 PM
i've heard stories but i don't think i've ever personally seen a fan base in which they think so highly of their own opinions. some chick....from little rock....who has actually spent time on the sidelines during games......somehow thinks that her opinion matters because she is close personal freinds of the head coach? she thinks so much of her opinions that she actually spends time and effort writing emails to 19 year old kids and tells them what SHE thinks is wrong with the football team? jeebus.....they (the school) have bigger issues than just winning in the SEC.

everyone seems to be out of control and noone seems grown up enough to stop it......

tell me again, what is this woman's qualifications for college football? not saying there aren't women who are qualified but this one here doesn't seem like the x's and o's type...

TheHumanAlphabet
2/15/2007, 04:58 PM
It is Arkansas and it does involve the hogs. Nothing can be more insane. I lived in NLR for 6 years, thems peoples are just weird.

Ike
2/15/2007, 05:13 PM
wow. what a crazy yainch.

goingoneight
2/16/2007, 12:08 AM
Attention Mitch Mustain: You sucked on the field and your family is stupid and annoying. Go fark yourself, loser... you're giving Switzer's home a bad name.

Attention Frank Broyles: Most people retire after careers as lengthy as yours, hint-hint...

Attention Houston Nutt: You better have your resume ready for 2008...

NorthernIowaSooner
2/16/2007, 02:10 AM
Attention Mitch Mustain: You sucked on the field and your family is stupid and annoying. Go fark yourself, loser... you're giving Switzer's home a bad name.

yeah 8-0 sucks, he obviously is a crappy QB, im no SEC lover but when you go 8-0 in the SEC then post this crap again:rolleyes:

ArkanSooner
2/16/2007, 02:43 AM
Just an update, Frank Broyles is expected to retire this weekend.

http://www.katv.com/news/stories/0207/397799.html

Fraggle145
2/16/2007, 02:48 AM
God this is crazy I got about a paragraph into that 1st link and was bored as ****. Arkie is still in the 8th grade.

GulfCoastBamaFan
2/16/2007, 10:58 AM
http://img299.imageshack.us/img299/2980/razorbacktrkl8vi2.jpg

H8HOGS
2/16/2007, 03:08 PM
It is Arkansas and it does involve the hogs. Nothing can be more insane. I lived in NLR for 6 years, thems peoples are just weird.

I know what you mean. We lived in the Little Rock area for 20 years and they think they should be in the NC game every year. I have never seen a more delusional fan base.

tnraider1
2/16/2007, 04:26 PM
I know what you mean. We lived in the Little Rock area for 20 years and they think they should be in the NC game every year. I have never seen a more delusional fan base.

You must not spend much time in the east Tennessee area. WACKO!!!

jk the sooner fan
2/16/2007, 05:59 PM
Mustain is reportedly going to visit USC for a possible transfer

Collier11
2/16/2007, 06:35 PM

Attention Frank Broyles: Most people retire after careers as lengthy as yours, hint-hint...

Attention Houston Nutt: You better have your resume ready for 2008...

Attention goingoneight: Mustain went 8-0, he undoubtedly was made promises that werent kept, and whether it is right or not, his momma is the prob, not him! NUtt will be ok

insuranceman_22
2/16/2007, 11:39 PM
yeah 8-0 sucks, he obviously is a crappy QB, im no SEC lover but when you go 8-0 in the SEC then post this crap again:rolleyes:

Have to agree on this one, Mustain didn't have the most impressive stat's, but he had the most impressive one.....a big 0 in the loss column.

NorthernIowaSooner
2/17/2007, 02:22 AM

you never met an iowa hawkeye fan then

Brasky7
2/17/2007, 02:30 AM
I would love for you to be able to have a lengthy conversation with Chris Simms, former QB with the Texas Longhorns. He arrived on campus his freshman year in a limo thinking he was the next All Everything, was a smart *** to his coaches, was selfish, pouty, and the prime example of what a “team” player is not. His teammates couldn’t stand him, the fans grew to hate him, and he never won a championship. He was finally benched for a QB that had won the Big 12 player of the year award the year before. You see, he walked onto campus thinking the starting position should be handed to him without competition, and it was. He didn’t bring it to practice everyday, he was quoted in newspapers showing his lack of character, he blamed everyone else when HE had a bad game …. Sound familiar ? He never EARNED the respect of his teammates, coaches, fans, etc … He too was a spoiled brat. He was nicknamed by everyone “The Golden Child” because that’s what HE thought he was. Funny how the smaller, more competitive QB named Major Applewhite, with less credentials, came to lead them to a Big 12 Championship. Funny how that works isn’t it ?

i don't think she was a fan of the lil towheaded boy... :eek:

arklahoman36
2/17/2007, 03:04 AM
Attention goingoneight: Mustain went 8-0, he undoubtedly was made promises that werent kept, and whether it is right or not, his momma is the prob, not him! NUtt will be ok

Mustain's mother isn't the problem.
His mother has been portrayed as the problem by sports talk radio hosts with connections to U of A. One a former SID at ARK and the other the U of A baseball play-by-play radio guy and his regular guests.
His mother released one public statement to clear up misconceptions about a meeting she and other parents had with Frank Broyles.
It was being characterized by those sports talk guys as a whinefest about playing time, and national sports radio ran with that version.
It was primarily about tutoring services not being provided -- as promised -- and player curfews not being enforced.
Although Broyles remained silent initially and allowed that misconception to float out there, he finally confirmed this version at an alumni event in Dallas at a much later date and then to the media.
It was also reported that Mustain only got his release after first being denied by Nutt (he told him he didn't want to give it to him then, but wanted him to remain on the team through the spring before making a final decision), and then returning with his mother.
Not true.
It was subsequently revealed he went back to Nutt with a youth minister (or someone in a similar position) from his church.
His mother also got the blame for Mustain, decommitting from U of A, before he ultimately re-committed.
A book written about the Springdale High School championship season Mustain's senior year, showed that among the reasons for his wavering was his concerns about the direction of the U of A offense.
I live over in Ark and work in the media, so I've seen more of this than I care about. But Mustain's mother has been unfairly portrayed throughout this whole soap opera.
As for Nutt, there is definitely a faction of fans who are up in arms about what happened with Mustain and another kid who was Mustain's high school teammate.
But there is a larger dissatisfaction with Nutt because he routinely chokes in the big game; routinely ranks among the worst recruiters in the SEC and routinely loses out on the top talent in ARK or gets them and runs them off; no QB has ever developed into a consistent passer during his tenure; he takes credit for successes, but never responsibility for failures; he went behind his new OC's back to hire a co-OC and demote the new OC; it goes on and on.

jthomasou78
2/17/2007, 08:04 AM
But there is a larger dissatisfaction with Nutt because he routinely chokes in the big game; routinely ranks among the worst recruiters in the SEC and routinely loses out on the top talent in ARK or gets them and runs them off;.

Yeah that McFadden kid and the Jones kid they have are god awful. Oh and the Matt Jones kid from a couple of years ago he was god awful too.

zeke
2/17/2007, 10:32 AM
Mustain's mother isn't the problem.
His mother has been portrayed as the problem by sports talk radio hosts with connections to U of A. One a former SID at ARK and the other the U of A baseball play-by-play radio guy and his regular guests.
His mother released one public statement to clear up misconceptions about a meeting she and other parents had with Frank Broyles.
It was being characterized by those sports talk guys as a whinefest about playing time, and national sports radio ran with that version.
It was primarily about tutoring services not being provided -- as promised -- and player curfews not being enforced.
Although Broyles remained silent initially and allowed that misconception to float out there, he finally confirmed this version at an alumni event in Dallas at a much later date and then to the media.
It was also reported that Mustain only got his release after first being denied by Nutt (he told him he didn't want to give it to him then, but wanted him to remain on the team through the spring before making a final decision), and then returning with his mother.
Not true.
It was subsequently revealed he went back to Nutt with a youth minister (or someone in a similar position) from his church.
His mother also got the blame for Mustain, decommitting from U of A, before he ultimately re-committed.
A book written about the Springdale High School championship season Mustain's senior year, showed that among the reasons for his wavering was his concerns about the direction of the U of A offense.
I live over in Ark and work in the media, so I've seen more of this than I care about. But Mustain's mother has been unfairly portrayed throughout this whole soap opera.
As for Nutt, there is definitely a faction of fans who are up in arms about what happened with Mustain and another kid who was Mustain's high school teammate.
But there is a larger dissatisfaction with Nutt because he routinely chokes in the big game; routinely ranks among the worst recruiters in the SEC and routinely loses out on the top talent in ARK or gets them and runs them off; no QB has ever developed into a consistent passer during his tenure; he takes credit for successes, but never responsibility for failures; he went behind his new OC's back to hire a co-OC and demote the new OC; it goes on and on.

Arklahoman makes some good points, but should NEVER EVER admit to be part of the media out of Ark.
The Ark media was slobbering all over themselves when Mustain signed with the hoglets last year. (after he had manipulated a job for his high school coach). The Heisman & National Championships were mentioned lots on mourning radio and occasionally on a$$hat chucky b's show in the evenings.
Now Mitch is gone, which was a smart move on his part, and now according to those who were slobbering has no talent and never did.

For us Hog HATERS Coach Broyles & his assistant H. Nutt were great together, until the high school coach came along. Its was great to see Nuttsack on the sidelines pacing back & forth, wildly waving his arms, headset on cockeyed and hair sticking out everywhere while they ran, ran, passed & punted in years past. Last season they had a pretty good offense working. But, thanks to the brilliant folks running that show, the only modern day football brain they had is gone...and they gave Nuttsack a raise & an extension...brilliant

Landthief 1972
2/17/2007, 11:30 AM
Have to agree on this one, Mustain didn't have the most impressive stat's, but he had the most impressive one.....a big 0 in the loss column.

Hell, I could have gone 8-0 if I was either a) handing off to McFadden and Jones or b) sitting on the sidelines watching McFadden take direct snaps on nearly every play. :D

arklahoman36
2/17/2007, 12:37 PM
Arklahoman makes some good points, but should NEVER EVER admit to be part of the media out of Ark.
The Ark media was slobbering all over themselves when Mustain signed with the hoglets last year. (after he had manipulated a job for his high school coach). The Heisman & National Championships were mentioned lots on mourning radio and occasionally on a$$hat chucky b's show in the evenings.
Now Mitch is gone, which was a smart move on his part, and now according to those who were slobbering has no talent and never did.

For us Hog HATERS Coach Broyles & his assistant H. Nutt were great together, until the high school coach came along. Its was great to see Nuttsack on the sidelines pacing back & forth, wildly waving his arms, headset on cockeyed and hair sticking out everywhere while they ran, ran, passed & punted in years past. Last season they had a pretty good offense working. But, thanks to the brilliant folks running that show, the only modern day football brain they had is gone...and they gave Nuttsack a raise & an extension...brilliant

Well, I don't cover sports, I'm a hard news guy. But you can't escape this crap in the newsrooms.
I can also say, the paper I work for is actually the only one among Springdale/Fayetteville/Little Rock/Fort Smith that never slobbered over the football team, with the exception of one guy in the sports department.

arklahoman36
2/17/2007, 12:58 PM
Yeah that McFadden kid and the Jones kid they have are god awful. Oh and the Matt Jones kid from a couple of years ago he was god awful too.

McFadden and Matt Jones required little if any recruiting. They were kids that grew up Hog fans and would play there pretty much no matter who was coach.
And a significant part of Nutt's recruiting failure is the inability to build depth beyond RB and O-line.
Almost every year they have a near calamity at a position when someone is knocked out for the season or a few games.
Happened this year. If they had any depth at QB, they could have gone to a BCS bowl. They started out the season playing a QB retread because the anticipated starter had a bad back, then they went to a true frosh for 7 games (he started an 8th but got pulled after one series).
They were thin at linebacker, which again hurt them late in the season.
No depth at WR this year also killed them. They had one returning WR that was worth a flip named Monk. Other than that, the WR corp was terrible because ARK never recruited before last year for a balanced offense.
It's a story that repeats itself year in and year out.
When Matt Jones was there, he played QB almost by default. He was and is a freak of an athlete, but was never a consistent QB as far as a threat to beat you with his arm.
Had Nutt been able to recruit and develop a QB during that time and move Matt Jones to WR, it wouldn't have taken him 9 seasons to get his first 10-win season.

AllAboutThe'O'
2/17/2007, 04:12 PM
Well, I don't cover sports, I'm a hard news guy. But you can't escape this crap in the newsrooms.
I can also say, the paper I work for is actually the only one among Springdale/Fayetteville/Little Rock/Fort Smith that never slobbered over the football team, with the exception of one guy in the sports department.
I think I know who that one guy is you're referring to. Hogs could go 0-12 and he would still find a way to defend Nutt.

goingoneight
2/17/2007, 04:24 PM
Seems to me, someone needs to come in and clean up the mess at AR. I mean, they have everythign OU had before Joe C. came along, great fans, good tradition, surrounded by talent, top-tier facilities, you name it. Unfortunately, I think this is a salvage job that is going to require way more maintenance than just promoting someone or taking one of Broyles' buddies. I guess what I'm saying is they need a Joe C. or DeLoss Dodds-kind of guy to come in and clean up the image, get better coaching for their revenue programs... you know-- give these kids a reason to be proud of Arkansas, give them a reason to want to go there, play, and oh, I dunno actually STAY AND GET BETTER!

It wasn't at all long ago when OU was considered a joke athletically just like what is going on at Arkansas. People were calling us a "dead legend," or saying we were "lucky" and crap like that. Oh, how things changed after Joe C. was in for a while.

AllAboutThe'O'
2/17/2007, 04:56 PM
Seems to me, someone needs to come in and clean up the mess at AR. I mean, they have everythign OU had before Joe C. came along, great fans, good tradition, surrounded by talent, top-tier facilities, you name it. Unfortunately, I think this is a salvage job that is going to require way more maintenance than just promoting someone or taking one of Broyles' buddies. I guess what I'm saying is they need a Joe C. or DeLoss Dodds-kind of guy to come in and clean up the image, get better coaching for their revenue programs... you know-- give these kids a reason to be proud of Arkansas, give them a reason to want to go there, play, and oh, I dunno actually STAY AND GET BETTER!

It wasn't at all long ago when OU was considered a joke athletically just like what is going on at Arkansas. People were calling us a "dead legend," or saying we were "lucky" and crap like that. Oh, how things changed after Joe C. was in for a while.

I agree; Arkansas doesn't need a Broyles crony or a "good ol' boy" as an A.D. They need someone with vision, leadership, foresight and someone who isn't afraid to make changes for the greater good of the program.

arklahoman36
2/22/2007, 11:54 PM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writers/stewart_mandel/02/22/arkansas.nutt/index.html

MissouriSooner
2/23/2007, 12:53 AM
I agree; Arkansas doesn't need a Broyles crony or a "good ol' boy" as an A.D. They need someone with vision, leadership, foresight and someone who isn't afraid to make changes for the greater good of the program.
True, but it's gonna be a tough sell. I lived in Fayetteville for six years, and had some personal insight into the football program. It appeared to me that although Broyes was treated like God, the real power behind the throne was a handful of former Razorback football players who [a] supported Broyles, and [b] hand-picked the football coaches. It will take an AD with a lot of clout to break the stranglehold these men wield over that program.

NorthernIowaSooner
2/23/2007, 01:12 AM
its gonna take an AD with some nuts, but if i remember right when bear bryant got the alabama job (i read a biography on him, im not that old) there were good ol boys coming in trying to tell him what to do and he told them to get the hell out. so the AD will just need the nuts to tell them they dont play there anymore or coach so they dont have a say in gameplans and schemes

CobraKai
2/23/2007, 10:53 AM

For arguments sake I could list 3 great Baylor basketball players. That does not mean that they tear it up in recruiting.

Seamus
2/23/2007, 02:23 PM
Well, I don't cover sports, I'm a hard news guy.

I hope your beat isn't education or genetics, because if it is, you don't have much to write about. :cool: