PDA

View Full Version : Tiki Barber

NormanPride
2/15/2007, 01:44 PM
What do you think of the guy?

Commenting on Coughlin. (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2763247)

Boomer.....
2/15/2007, 02:33 PM
He is whining! He is a professional athlete who is making millions of dollars a year. He should be in the top shape of anyone, yet he is the only on bitching about hard practices. True superstars will work harder than anyone and not complain about it, just look at AD.

royalfan5
2/15/2007, 02:45 PM
He's just like any other employee who decided his boss sucks and decided to work for someone else. That's the American way.

NormanPride
2/15/2007, 02:51 PM
That's what I'm thinking as well. He's complaining, but he's doing it in a fairly tame way. I really like Tiki, despite the fact that I think he retired too soon.

royalfan5
2/15/2007, 03:00 PM
That's what I'm thinking as well. He's complaining, but he's doing it in a fairly tame way. I really like Tiki, despite the fact that I think he retired too soon.
He also retired early from a profession that destroys your body and takes years off your life. The average life expectancy for NFL players is significantly lower than the rest of society. Lots of players develop serious physical problems early in life due to their playing careers. Tiki has the opportunity to make decent money and not destroy his body, I think that decision is a no brainer.

NormanPride
2/15/2007, 05:19 PM
Yeah, I agree getting out early is good, but he wasn't having any problems whatsoever, right? Unless he was keeping stuff from the media.

sanantoniosooner
2/15/2007, 05:24 PM
Most players entertain the idea of quitting when Coughlin is their coach.

Most can't realistically do so.

Scott D
2/15/2007, 05:34 PM
He is whining! He is a professional athlete who is making millions of dollars a year. He should be in the top shape of anyone, yet he is the only on bitching about hard practices. True superstars will work harder than anyone and not complain about it, just look at AD.

Look at how the Giants play. How many years with Coughlin in charge have they stumbled down the stretch? If the case is that well, every year then that begs the question, how does one rectify that? How many coaches work players harder in practice in terms of contact and whatnot than they see in games?

As for running backs, I go back to a Marshall Faulk quote about the last time he played a football game at 100%, his response was "pee-wee". The average career span for a tailback is usually 3-5 years.

Any football player will tell you, if a player begins thinking about injuries ending his career, then he's already got one foot out of the door. Tiki was thinking about that stuff as far back as the 2005 season. His retirement really shouldn't be a surprise. Nor should the fact that there have been a lot of grumblings out of the Giants camp.

jk the sooner fan
2/15/2007, 10:58 PM
if he had said all that while he was still playing, then i'd think its whining

he waited till he was done with the game, then spoke his mind,.....i dont see a problem with it whatsoever.....its possible that what he said is pure fact

sometimes the truth hurts

soonerjoker
2/17/2007, 12:33 PM
koufax did about the same thing, @ about the same age.

so did jimmy brown.

earl campbell should've done so, long before he did.

Rogue
2/25/2007, 07:55 PM
Tiki led the league in rushing. 2 years in a row I think. I actually admire him for saying "enough is enough" and quitting while he is healthy. Something to be said for "going out on top."

jacru
2/25/2007, 08:43 PM
when the fans think you should retire, you've waited too long.
Tiki left'em wanting more.

H8HOGS
2/26/2007, 05:23 PM
As a Giants fan I have no problem with him retiring. My issue is waiting until after the draft. Now we have no RB on the roster for this year. If he had announced last spring we could have drafted a RB.

Give the organization that has taken care of you the time to make adjustments to the roster.

Scott D
2/26/2007, 05:35 PM
pretty sure that Brandon Jacobs is still on the roster. Especially since he said he was looking forward to getting most of the carries next season.

H8HOGS
2/26/2007, 05:55 PM
pretty sure that Brandon Jacobs is still on the roster. Especially since he said he was looking forward to getting most of the carries next season.

Yeah he is 265 pounds and runs straight up over the line to get 1-2 yards. Not an every down back or any kind of true TB.

Scott D
2/26/2007, 06:02 PM
he can't be any worse than Ron Dayne was for the Giants.

H8HOGS
2/26/2007, 06:20 PM
he can't be any worse than Ron Dayne was for the Giants.
Not worse in fact he is very effective at what he does but he is not an every down RB.

I know I wouldn't want to be a CB or Safety and have to take him on heads up.

Scott D
2/26/2007, 06:22 PM
Never know what you can get out of him if you drop him about 10 lbs. However, I think linebacker might be a more pressing need for the Giants than who else they can try to get at tailback.

H8HOGS
2/26/2007, 06:39 PM
Never know what you can get out of him if you drop him about 10 lbs. However, I think linebacker might be a more pressing need for the Giants than who else they can try to get at tailback.

Yeah we need a LB also but without a TB at all I would say that would be a more pressing need.