Petro-Sooner
2/15/2007, 09:58 AM
Whos in?

IB4OU2
2/15/2007, 10:00 AM
I can't stand Roger Daltry....Out!

Petro-Sooner
2/15/2007, 10:02 AM
I cant decide. I could prolly only recognize a couple of there songs. I guess the draw for me is that its a great band from the 70s.

soonerboy_odanorth
2/15/2007, 10:14 AM
The Who.... I think it's one of those "you should see them for the sake of seeing them before they all die/retire"... I almost went when they were here in the TC.

Now this seems a tepid response, but I actually love The Who. One of my top three concerts I've attended... Saw them in '88 at the old sombrero, Tampa Bay Stadium, when they were then performing their 25th reunion tour. They played almost the entirety of "Tommy", and then did another 90 minutes of just tearing it up on all their other hits. They actually played for about 3 hours, the weather was perfect, I had great seats, and they were dead-on rock-solid.

Problem now is no Entwhistle (sp?), Daltry's voice is pretty shot, and Townsend doesn't leap around quite like he used to which might mute the entertainment value a bit.

So I decided to just keep the memory of how they were and not spend the $80 bucks on today's version.

However, I do think you would recognize way more than a couple of their songs, and if you haven't seen them before, their show is still getting pretty good reviews.

Now about Bob Seger...

VeeJay
2/15/2007, 10:22 AM
Saw them in 1980 but without Keith Moon. At that point their best music was well behind them

Still a great show.

Probably would be disappopinted comparing that version with today's version.

Hamhock
2/15/2007, 10:23 AM
Who?

Petro-Sooner
2/15/2007, 10:27 AM
Seger was coming to OKC but cancelled for some reason. Him and The Who is just good rock n roll. Not like the crap the music industry throws at us now a days.

soonerboy_odanorth
2/15/2007, 10:33 AM
I so bad wanted to see Seger when he was here, but I had a work obligation, which doth sucketh in a very large manner...

Cam
2/15/2007, 10:33 AM
Not sure yet, still thinking about it.

sooneron
2/15/2007, 10:47 AM
I saw them in 82. I wouldn't mind seeing them again, but I wouldn't go out of my way. Their catalog is among the best. Easily top 5.

Boomer_Sooner_sax
2/15/2007, 01:00 PM
Saw them last November in Houston, well worth the money! They also sell a DVD of that show as well that you can buy, of course at a slightly higher price, but they are still awesome!! Go if you can!

Rhino
2/15/2007, 01:04 PM
If the Pretenders open, as rumored, then it'd be a great show.

As it stands now, it's a pretty penny to see 1/2 of an old version of The Who.

King Crimson
2/15/2007, 01:39 PM
i'm a big fan of the Who....and i cannot think of another band who's catalog (as Sooneron aptly puts it) and album sides are more under-appreciated in favor of hearing Baba O'Riley again. take My Wife, the Entwhistle tune from Who's Next. great song. you don't hear that on the radio. they weren't a hit single type band but have been mutilated into that by demographics and Clear Channel etc. over the years. the 02 (?) reissue remixed "delux" double CD of Live at Leeds is a monster.

but, having not seen them so many times i'm not sure i'd pony up to see them at this point so late. i'm not a big fan of the reunion stuff in general....though the Pixies were awesome.

soonerboy_odanorth
2/15/2007, 01:50 PM
I own very few box sets. The Who's Maximum R&B is a must if you are into box sets.

Boomer_Sooner_sax
2/15/2007, 04:02 PM
If the Pretenders open, as rumored, then it'd be a great show.

As it stands now, it's a pretty penny to see 1/2 of an old version of The Who.

They opened up for the show in Houston...she seiously got booed when she started talking about not eating meat and being a vegetarian.:pop:

Xstnlsooner
2/15/2007, 04:14 PM
I just bought a couple of their vinyl albums, Who Are You and Who's Next.
Great Stuff!!

BigRedJed
2/15/2007, 04:40 PM
Saw them in '89 at the Cotton Bowl with SRV and the Fabulous Thunderbirds. One of the best shows I've ever seen, and I've seen, literally, hundreds.

Saw them a couple of months ago in Dallas at the AAC, and the show still kicked ***. Daltry could still hit the scream in Won't Get Fooled Again. The Pretenders opened, and were fantastic.

IN.

C&CDean
2/15/2007, 04:53 PM
i'm a big fan of the Who....and i cannot think of another band who's catalog (as Sooneron aptly puts it) and album sides are more under-appreciated in favor of hearing Baba O'Riley again. take My Wife, the Entwhistle tune from Who's Next. great song. you don't hear that on the radio. they weren't a hit single type band but have been mutilated into that by demographics and Clear Channel etc. over the years. the 02 (?) reissue remixed "delux" double CD of Live at Leeds is a monster.

but, having not seen them so many times i'm not sure i'd pony up to see them at this point so late. i'm not a big fan of the reunion stuff in general....though the Pixies were awesome.

No kidding.

But the problem is pretty much "classic rock" radio. All we get is the same steady diet of Squeezebox and Pinball Wizard. And not just with The Who, but with all bands. Grand Funk has tons of great music, and all you'll ever hear is Locomotion, Some kinda Wonderful, I'm your captain/closer to home, and sometimes We're an American Band. Steve Miller has lots of good music, but all we get is the crap.

And I lost much of the hearing in my left ear due to a Who concert in Phoenix back in the 70's. I was standing next to the left side of the stage about 10 feet from a 60-foot wall of speakers. My body was numb for two days, and I've never lost the ringing/buzzing in my left ear since. Good times.

BigRedJed
2/15/2007, 05:05 PM
...But the problem is pretty much "classic rock" radio. All we get is the same steady diet of Squeezebox and Pinball Wizard. And not just with The Who, but with all bands. Grand Funk has tons of great music, and all you'll ever hear is Locomotion, Some kinda Wonderful, I'm your captain/closer to home, and sometimes We're an American Band. Steve Miller has lots of good music, but all we get is the crap...
Pretty easy to connect the dots from your statement to the idea that the situation might be the same for NEW music too. That is, there might be some really great stuff out there (there is) that easily stands up well in comparison to some of the old stuff, but it just doesn't get played because "all we get is the crap." Same story, different genre.

Oh, and Dean, did you ride your Vethpa to the Who show you went to? I'll guarantee you a lot of other people did.

BTW, at the Dallas show I was lovin' on the music, getting my face rocked off, and feeling generally cool, until I realized that I had just popped my blood pressure and cholesterol pills and chased them with a $6 Bud Light. Suddenly I didn't feel so young and cool.

def_lazer_fc
2/16/2007, 04:30 AM
does anyone here have the Live at the Isle of Wight dvd? amazing. pete says in an interview that keith was high as a kite on the heavy stuff during the performance, but you couldn't tell. moon destroyed on the drums.

i'm not a big fan of the reunion stuff in general....though the Pixies were awesome.
i saw them in austin on their reunion tour at austin city limits and they ruled. of course it was 110 degrees and i was about to pass out, but awesome.

King Crimson
2/16/2007, 06:03 AM
can anyone name songs off quadrophenia? or hear them on the radio? one of the greatest rock double LP's ever. Punk and the Godfather, 5:15,

King Crimson
2/16/2007, 06:07 AM
and not to mention the greatness that is: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/9/98/The_who_sell_out_album_front.jpg/200px-The_who_sell_out_album_front.jpg

i know what you are thinking, so THAT'S where Phil Knight's image lackey's got the Oregon "O" logo....from Townshend's Odorono "the Who Sell Out" deodorant logo.

King Crimson
2/16/2007, 06:17 AM
http://media.sijournal.com/images/University-of-Oregon-logo.jpg

OUAndy1807
2/16/2007, 07:16 AM
the Who are good, but they're no Monkees.

King Crimson
2/16/2007, 07:24 AM
don't be a moron Andy. i don't want to have to kill you.

OUAndy1807
2/16/2007, 08:09 AM
I'm just saying, you know the Monkees had some catchy tunes.

;)

King Crimson
2/16/2007, 08:10 AM
yeah, but they were all written by Neal Diamond. death is still heavy on yer head.