PDA

View Full Version : Buh Bye Game Shortening Rules..

TexasLidig8r
2/14/2007, 02:13 PM
Looks like the ridiculous new clock rules from this past year.. are being kicked to the curb.

http://www.ajc.com/sports/content/sports/stories/2007/02/14/0214sptncaarules.html

colleyvillesooner
2/14/2007, 02:15 PM
Good riddance.

They should throw out any defensive records set last year.

sooner94
2/14/2007, 02:18 PM
Wow, a rational, coherent idea from the NCAA.

Who are those guys and what did they do with the NCAA?;)

Aries
2/14/2007, 02:34 PM
If they want to shorten the game, why don't they just let the clock continue to run after a first down?

tulsaoilerfan
2/14/2007, 02:34 PM
How 'bout they cut back on all the freakin' commercials?

tulsaoilerfan
2/14/2007, 02:35 PM
If they want to shorten the game, why don't they just let the clock continue to run after a first down?
Not a good idea as this would also cut back on the number of plays run during a game.

Penguin
2/14/2007, 02:42 PM
How 'bout they cut back on all the freakin' commercials?

Heavens, no! I want a commercial between the TD and the PAT.

sooneron
2/14/2007, 02:42 PM
Thanks baby Jesus!!

Octavian
2/14/2007, 02:49 PM
...new measures to restore the missing 12 plays without effecting game times. Among them:

• Limit the play clock to 15 seconds following a television timeout.

• Kickoffs moved from 35-yard line to 30-yard line.

• Reduced charged team timeouts by 30 seconds.

• Penalties for all kicking team fouls that occur during the kick can be enforced at the end of the run.

• Encourage coaches, officials, game management personnel, media partners to manage the game in a more efficient manner.

• Play clock is started when the ball is handed to the kicker by the umpire on all free kicks.

• Limit instant replay reviews to two minutes to decide to overturn or confirm the ruling on the field

Moving the ball back on kickoffs will have a major impact on the college game. It's not the NFL.....the majority of college kickers don't boot it through the EZ on every kick as it is. More returns and better field position for just about everyone.

The limiting of the time on instant replay reviews doesn't seem like the worst idea possible....but how 'bout putting a limit on the number of replays per half?

As it is....every play can be reviewed and it makes the refs on the field hesitant and lazy.

I'd rather see 2 reviews/challenges per team for each half and let the refs take their time and get those reviews correct rather than having 10 reviews decided by guys who were trying to beat the clock....and hopefully, the on-field refs would be a little more confident and attentive.

As for the reversal of the clock rules...that's great news. Totally surprising great news.

SoonerLB
2/14/2007, 03:34 PM
I totally agree with the above comment......GOOD RIDDANCE!
If anything needs to be limited, it is the number of commercials shown by the greedy networks and/or cable companies!
We have to pay to watch crap they are getting paid to show! Good gig if you can get it.

Monster Zero
2/14/2007, 04:21 PM
Best news I've heard in awhile.

GottaHavePride
2/14/2007, 04:33 PM
The only suggestion that really bothers me in the new stuff is changing the play clock to 15 seconds after a tv-timeout. Just because using variable-length play clocks invites a whole new world of ways for the officials to **** up the clock, stop the game, re-set the clock, and so on.

Scott D
2/14/2007, 04:33 PM
I'd rather see 2 reviews/challenges per team for each half and let the refs take their time and get those reviews correct rather than having 10 reviews decided by guys who were trying to beat the clock....and hopefully, the on-field refs would be a little more confident and attentive.

Eh, that makes it more like the NFL review in that they have a clock running on the review.

OSUAggie
2/14/2007, 04:37 PM
• Kickoffs moved from 35-yard line to 30-yard line.

Don't like that one. Too NFL-ish.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
2/14/2007, 04:43 PM
What, the NCAA doing something right?

CrimsonChampion
2/14/2007, 04:55 PM
In the NFL you have a commercial after a score, then there's the kickoff when they get back. Then they goto another commercial after the kickoff. After punt returns they goto commercial also, that really gets me out of the game quick.

That's one thing I love about college football, after kickoffs and punts it goes straight to the field, except a few times they will goto a commercial. Overall it's not even an argument that the NFL will bore you to death before you even get to halftime, unless ofcourse it's the playoffs or just a really damn good game. College keeps you on the edge of your seat at all times, which is the way it should be.

MichiganSooner
2/14/2007, 06:02 PM
Why don't they time it like soccer?
Just let the clock run down. And when it runs down to 0, play will continue until the referee calls time. Would'nt that be wild?

MichiganSooner
2/14/2007, 06:04 PM
Actually, I hope the NCAA goes back to running the clock the way they did prior to last season as is recommended in the article. I don't know how many times I stood waiting for play to resume last year during the TV time-outs and the whole intent of the new timing rules was speed up the game! The only thing dragging last year was the darn TV timeouts.

Okieflyer
2/14/2007, 06:10 PM
This is great news. Nice to see them actually fix a screw up.

MojoRisen
2/14/2007, 06:21 PM
It cost AD the all time OU rushing record- I hated the rule from the get go----

Pricetag
2/14/2007, 06:36 PM
I see that they're looking into making kicking infractions enforced after the end of the return. That should put an end to the whole "run down the clock via repeated offsides on the kick off" shenanigans we saw during that one Wisconsin game this year.

stoopified
2/14/2007, 06:52 PM
Wow, a rational, coherent idea from the NCAA.

Who are those guys and what did they do with the NCAA?;)
They have been replaced by alien body-snatchers.:)

arcman46
2/14/2007, 08:22 PM
I want it to go back to the way it was. I want more football, not less:D

TripleOption14
2/14/2007, 08:30 PM
I'll take the commerical thing even a step further. Implement a 2 commerical rule. During the breaks thats all they get!! And that guy holding the oven mit during commerical should have a running stop watch to go by. If your commerical runs over after his stop watch goes off... TO BAD and go back to the game!!! Make a shorter commerical.

MichiganSooner
2/14/2007, 10:17 PM
Speaking about "that guy holding the oven mitt during commercials"...How can I get that guys job when he quits? That would be cool to be down on Owen Field at all the games, talking to (chewing out) the referee during commercial time.

goingoneight
2/14/2007, 11:15 PM
If they want to shorten the game, why don't they just STFU during those ghey halftime shows and charge more for less commercials?

Fizzled. :)

kevpks
2/15/2007, 12:21 AM
Don't like that one. Too NFL-ish.

I like the idea of kicking from the 30. Touchbacks are very boring as opposed to kick returns which can be some of the most exciting plays in football. I prefer exciting plays over boring ones, but I guess that is why I am a Sooner and you are an Aggie. ;)

emoinwinter
2/15/2007, 12:26 AM
On kickoffs, since they might now have a play clock, what happens when ball is blown off the tee?

85sooners
2/15/2007, 02:00 PM
see ya

BermudaSooner
2/15/2007, 02:28 PM
The rules committee also announced that starting in 2008, college football will go to a 40-second play clock like that now used in the NFL. The 40-second clock will start at the end of every play. College football currently uses a 25-second clock that doesn't start until the ball is put in position and declared ready for play.

Does this mean the clock doesn't stop on a first down? That would be a big change.

MamaMia
2/15/2007, 02:59 PM
• The time allowed for instant replay reviews will be capped at two minutes. This will save some time but not a lot. The average replay review last season was 1:49, according to the NCAA What was it before?

Aries
2/15/2007, 03:07 PM
Not a good idea as this would also cut back on the number of plays run during a game.

Well, yeah. Anything you do to shorten the game is going to cut back the number of plays.

But if that's your goal, to me it makes more sense than the rules they implemented this past season. Because it's more consistent with how every other league operates. The NFL doesn't stop the clock after first downs, I don't think any of the arena leagues do. As far as I know, the NCAA is the only game that does that.

Very helpful if you're trying to come from behind, very annoying if you're trying to hold on to the lead. It changes the last couple of the minutes of the game, though because if you're trying to score you don't have to worry about getting out of bounds or using time outs as much, just get a FD and you buy some extra time.

Jello Biafra
2/15/2007, 03:29 PM
Looks like the ridiculous new clock rules from this past year.. are being kicked to the curb.

http://www.ajc.com/sports/content/sports/stories/2007/02/14/0214sptncaarules.html

so,

i guess this means mack won't be able to use the ole "we didn't lose that game, we just ran out of time" excuse anymore?

:cool:

Rogue
2/18/2007, 10:21 AM
Well, yeah. Anything you do to shorten the game is going to cut back the number of plays.

But if that's your goal, to me it makes more sense than the rules they implemented this past season. Because it's more consistent with how every other league operates. The NFL doesn't stop the clock after first downs, I don't think any of the arena leagues do. As far as I know, the NCAA is the only game that does that.

Very helpful if you're trying to come from behind, very annoying if you're trying to hold on to the lead. It changes the last couple of the minutes of the game, though because if you're trying to score you don't have to worry about getting out of bounds or using time outs as much, just get a FD and you buy some extra time.

I've always preferred the NCAA rules to the NFL's. The very fact that the NFL changes the rules after 2:00 remaining in each half bugs the crap out of me. The rules should stay the same throughout the game. NFL finally came around to the 2 point conversion and NCAA overtime are much better than NFL overtimes-still it could be improved by moving back from the 25 YL to about the 40 or 50.

I'm amazed the NCAA found some ways to reverse the crappy part of the rule changes and keep the TV timeouts, and therefore the $$, in place. Pretty creative. I don't know about the 30 YL kickoffs, we'll have to see how that works.

lcaldwell1
2/18/2007, 03:11 PM
so does that mean there not tryin to change the rule where after a turnover the clock starts when the ball is spotted

Luthor
2/20/2007, 05:44 PM
They could run the clock during the entire PAT play and not stop after a TD. Why not? It's not a COP and teams kick the PAT 90% of the time anyway rather than going for 2. If teams want to go for 2 they can use a TO if necessary. For that matter they could run the clock after incomplete passes as well. Most teams rotate receivers anyway.

It won't matter. The networks will just run more and longer idiotic commercials.