PDA

View Full Version : Whi is the best biball coach in OU history?

stoopified
2/14/2007, 11:32 AM
The top three choices as I see it are Tubbs( most wins),Sampson(best winning percentage),Bruce Drake who took OU to natiobal prominence in OU's first NATIONAL TITLE GAME in 1947 vs. Holy Cross.A ldarkhorse candidate would be some guy named Bennie Owen who had a record of 113-49.In his spare time he won 122 games s OU's headcoch in football,142 games as headcoach of the baseball team AND serving as athletic director.

For me I would have to go with Tubbs.He was 15-9 in the NCAA tourney(compared to KS 11-1)1.He gave OU a recognized name in basketball nationwise.This made Sampson's job a whole lot easier,a fact Kelvin readily admitted during his tenure.The ironic part is that I honestly believe that in head to head matchups Sampson would proably beat Tubbs 7 out of every 10 games played.Billys strength was not in tactics but rather in recruiting racehorses to run at Lloyd Noble Track,Uh Center.This is of course just IMHO as they did not gp head to head.

Choosing Tubbs as the best over Sampson is based not only on his superior NCAA record alone however.It is also based on the fact that he left OU in a positive light when he went to TCU and Sanpson left OU under a dark cloud due to PHONEGATE.Well thats one man's opinion anyhow.

crawfish
2/14/2007, 11:43 AM
Sampson, despite the allegations, has left the OU program in far better shape than Tubbs did. It's considered a far better job than when he got here.

Despite that, I'd agree that Tubbs is the best choice.

cheezyq
2/14/2007, 03:54 PM
Tubbs. His aggressive "pedal to the metal" philosophy was both fun to watch and effective. Sampson's teams were better fundamentally, particularly on defense.

But when it comes down to it, I think OU was more of a threat in the tourney under Tubbs. That's my measuring stick.

Then again, I was pretty young when Tubbs was coaching OU. So maybe my opinion is based on my youthful perspective in the 80s.

LittleWingSooner
2/14/2007, 04:56 PM
Sampson, Tubbs, and Drake are the top 3. What hurts Tubbs and Drake is they left with basically nothing. We have more with Sampson then those 2. But they all started with very little and built the programs to a competitive one.

CrimsonChampion
2/14/2007, 05:10 PM
I have to say Tubbs, he had some great teams back in the day. Coach Sampson looked really good for awhile there, but the past few years with him just really started to make me sick. I was calling for his removal for about 3 years and it finally happened. The guy didn't run much of an offense, it was pretty much isolation and take it to the hoop. He had some good strategies but overall he belongs at a program like Indiana that has top knotch hoops talent.

IMO, I seriously feel that Coach Capel is gonna have us a consistant sweet sixteen team for years to come. I can't wait to see what he does with us over the years. He'll eventually become the best alltime OU B-Ball coach I bet.

LittleWingSooner
2/14/2007, 11:21 PM
A lot of people were calling for Tubbs removal his last 3 or 4 years. His end was much worse then Kelvins end. Kelvin won an NCAA Tourney games his last 4 years. Tubbs didn't win an NCAA Tourney game after 1990

stoopified
2/15/2007, 11:34 AM
Sampson, Tubbs, and Drake are the top 3. What hurts Tubbs and Drake is they left with basically nothing. We have more with Sampson then those 2. But they all started with very little and built the programs to a competitive one.Tubbs left OU in bad shape? oh gontraire!Heleft a lot of good players for KS to turn into a 23-9 first year club.Among them:Ryan Minor,Dion Barnes,John Ontjes. Ernie Abercrombie was the ONLY sampson addition to the roster.

Tubbs last 4 teams were not on par with his previous teams but were still 76-49,an average of 19-12 a season.He also left behind a the talented group of veteran players (mentioned above) that led to Sampson having such a good start.In addition Tubbs left behind what was considered a good recruiting class (Prince Fowler,Antonio Bobo,Evan Wley(prop 48 in Tubbs last year).Tubbs left OU in better shape than he found it.

Jeopardude
2/15/2007, 01:56 PM
For total turnaround, I think Sherri Coale's gotta be mentioned as a contender.

AllAboutThe'O'
2/15/2007, 04:32 PM
For total turnaround, I think Sherri Coale's gotta be mentioned as a contender.
If you include women's basketball with men's basketball, Sherri just may go down as the best OU hoops coach when it's all said and done.

LittleWingSooner
2/15/2007, 07:58 PM
Ryan Minor,Dion Barnes,John Ontjes. Ernie Abercrombie was the ONLY sampson addition to the roster.

They won 23 games but they played nobody most of that year. The team before it was a senior team and won 15 games. If Tubbs coaches in 1995 we win about 10-15 games max.

badger
2/16/2007, 03:32 AM
COALE gets my vote. She had to build the program from the ground up, just like Capel has to right now. Coale had a program that nearly got eliminated, Capel has a program that top recruits walked away from.

Bring OU a championship, coaches, and we need to name the court after you!!

King Crimson
2/16/2007, 05:41 AM
it's Billy, no question about it.

i don't buy the Billy didn't coach fundamentals stuff. he had a different idea about how to win games. for all the outlaw image, and smartass in the media or demonization with ESPN (it was there)....we were never on probation with Billy.

if you don't think Billy "coached" you weren't paying attention. we ran great set plays out of timeouts or dead balls. and when he had the guys to do it, contrary to popular belief, we really D'd up on people full court.

King Crimson
2/16/2007, 05:47 AM
COALE gets my vote. She had to build the program from the ground up, just like Capel has to right now. Coale had a program that nearly got eliminated, Capel has a program that top recruits walked away from.

Bring OU a championship, coaches, and we need to name the court after you!!

Sherrie has done a helluva job for all the reasons you mention....and maybe an argument could be made for her in the topic.....but the Capel comparison is not a good one. Capel inherited a rag tag bunch for sure, but not the same as a program that was actually eliminated for a few days. we choked our guts out last year in the tournament last year, but a program with 20+ post-season appearances is not the same as hiring the Norman High coach to bring back a program that wasn't.

LittleWingSooner
2/16/2007, 10:53 AM
it's Billy, no question about it.

i don't buy the Billy didn't coach fundamentals stuff. he had a different idea about how to win games. for all the outlaw image, and smartass in the media or demonization with ESPN (it was there)....we were never on probation with Billy.

if you don't think Billy "coached" you weren't paying attention. we ran great set plays out of timeouts or dead balls. and when he had the guys to do it, contrary to popular belief, we really D'd up on people full court.

I agree wit this completely. Except I don't know if I put him the best no question about it. But he really taught fundamentals and good basketball till his last few years. After he lost his assistant(I can never remember his name) we never had the same defense, which is partly why we weren't quite as good.

Billy is a really underrated coach.