PDA

View Full Version : It's always a special day when one of your classmates is arrested

Boarder
2/14/2007, 11:12 AM
http://img475.imageshack.us/img475/3658/robertpartonwr4.jpg

Meth. Why?

Crime: Raid of Purcell funeral home yields suspected drugs, arrests

CRIMINAL UNDERTAKING?

• Sheriff’s records indicate services had not been conducted at the site in months.

By Jennifer Griswold Staff Writer

PURCELL — Police raided a funeral home Tuesday, seizing drugs and arresting six people, including the home’s owner.

Methamphetamine, bags of marijuana and prescription drugs were found in the early morning raid by the McClain County sheriff’s office and Purcell police.

Charles Damet, 50, owner and operator of the Yoakum-Damet Funeral Home, 310 W Main, was arrested on drugrelated warrants. Karen Skinner, 46; Robert Parton, 37; Nisha Parker, 32; Beth Adams, 46; and Deborah Johnson, 40, also were arrested in the bust.

All six remained in the McClain County jail Tuesday. Charges are pending.

The arrests came after a yearlong investigation by law enforcement officers. The inquiry began after a tip that a shipment of drugs had been delivered to the business, sheriff’s deputy David Turley said.

Police believe the funeral home was being used as a front for Damet’s drug business. Sheriff’s Detective Dan Huff said records indicate services hadn’t been conducted for months at the funeral home.

“As far as we can tell, the only business they were running out of there was drug distribution,” he said.

There were no bodies at the funeral home at the time of the raid, officials said.

Spokesmen at other funeral homes in the Purcell area said they were not aware Yoakum-Damet had not been conducting funerals.

Jim Wadley, owner of Wadley’s Funeral Service in Purcell, said his business had not received any referrals from Yoakum-Damet.

“I’m not one to watch and worry about what other funeral homes are doing,” Wadley said.

During the months of surveillance on the business, the funeral home’s hearses and family cars were frequently observed making early morning runs, usually after midnight, Huff said, adding he suspected the cars were being used to traffic drugs into Purcell.

Investigators found drugs both in the funeral home and connected living quarters where Damet resided, officials said.

Six gallon plastic bags of marijuana, several grams of “Mexican Ice”

methamphetamine and bottles of prescription drugs were found. Exact amounts weren’t known Tuesday, nor was an estimated street value of the drugs. Scales, plastic bags, needles and various other drug paraphernalia also was found, Huff said. Computers and files were seized.

Damet, Skinner, Parton, Parker, Adams and Johnson all were booked into the McClain County jail on complaints of possession of methamphetamine with intent to distribute, possession with intent to distribute within 2,000 feet of a school, possession of a controlled dangerous substance

within the presence of a minor, maintaining a dwelling where a controlled dangerous substance is kept and possession of a scanner and firearm while committing a felony.

A 3-year-old girl was in the business at the time of the raid, Turley said. She was taken into protective custody.

Damet serves on the city’s planning commission and hospital board, authorities said.

The funeral home, which is near Purcell High School, was a long-established business, started by the Yoakum family in 1932. Damet joined the business in later years.

Purcell. Wow.

Fugue
2/14/2007, 11:14 AM
they'll get some serious time too.

Boarder
2/14/2007, 11:15 AM
I thought it was a nice touch to have the drug house within 2000 feet of a school and have a 3 year old around, giving them two extra charges.

C&CDean
2/14/2007, 11:17 AM
Bet old man Yoakum is rolling over in his grave.

And those who still think this stuff shouldn't be criminal are ****ing looney tunes. How many lives have these guys and gals been responsible for ruining (besides their own?).

Okla-homey
2/14/2007, 11:24 AM
Bet old man Yoakum is rolling over in his grave.

And those who still think this stuff shouldn't be criminal are ****ing looney tunes. How many lives have these guys and gals been responsible for ruining (besides their own?).

Deano,
This looks like trafficking. If convicted, those folks should be hammered. I just don't think folks who are addicted and get busted for possession should be locked-up because it simply has not shown to have any affect on the problem. Instead, we need to try effective means to reprogram their internal wiring.

sooneron
2/14/2007, 11:27 AM
**** yeah!

C&CDean
2/14/2007, 11:35 AM
Deano,
This looks like trafficking. If convicted, those folks should be hammered. I just don't think folks who are addicted and get busted for possession should be locked-up because it simply has not shown to have any affect on the problem. Instead, we need to try effective means to reprogram their internal wiring.

I understand your argument. I just don't agree with it. Why? Glad you asked.

Let's poll the entire U.S. prison population - who is serving time for a violent crime of some sort. Every swingin' dick and vagina. We're talking murderers, rapists, armed robbers, car jackers, etc. Let's ask them why they were robbing/murdering/etc. You wanna know what you'll find? That's right, it was over drugs. Many of these folks were your "innocent" users that you feel like we oughta coddle - that is until they decided they didn't have enough jack to buy that 8-ball, so they shoot some old man for the $180 bucks outta his wallet. Or rob the 7-11.

My mom does prison ministry. She ministers only at max-security prisons in Arizona. Every single one of the folks she ministers to are in prison as a result of some type of involvement in drugs or alcohol. They stole to get drugs. They killed to get drugs. They were all drugged up when they killed somebody (and otherwise wouldn't even dream of hurting somebody).

I was a long-term drug user myself. Done it all. Massive amounts of the stuff. And it's absolute, pure, unadulterated ****ing poison. There's simply nothing positive that ever comes out of drug addiction/use. NOTHING.

So, if a guy gets 18-months for possession/use of cocaine I simply hope it is enough to stop him from using again when he gets out. If not, lock his stupid *** up for 20 years.

jk the sooner fan
2/14/2007, 11:38 AM
i agree with Dean

my exposure to the CJ system leads me to believe that users are far more dangerous than many would believe

Okla-homey
2/14/2007, 11:39 AM
So, if a guy gets 18-months for possession/use of cocaine I simply hope it is enough to stop him from using again when he gets out. If not, lock his stupid *** up for 20 years.

It would appear the vast majority of them don't stay clean, and I'm under the impression drugs are readily obtainable even in prison. Locking them up doesn't seem to make any difference. It's a tough nut to crack. Summary executions on arrest would work and would be cheaper.:D

royalfan5
2/14/2007, 11:43 AM
The funeral home meth deal must be more common than I thought. There was a similar ring busted in Nebraska not all that long ago.

Okla-homey
2/14/2007, 11:46 AM
The funeral home meth deal must be more common than I thought. There was a similar ring busted in Nebraska not all that long ago.

Think about it. They already deal in a lot of nasty chemicals. They have heat for cremations, and they have a hearse and caskets to ship the product in. Sounds like LE is starting not to take nocturnal funeral home activities at face value anymore.

C&CDean
2/14/2007, 11:47 AM
It would appear the vast majority of them don't stay clean, and I'm under the impression drugs are readily obtainable even in prison. Locking them up doesn't seem to make any difference. It's a tough nut to crack. Summary executions on arrest would work and would be cheaper.:D

Hells yeah.

47straight
2/14/2007, 12:04 PM
Makes me wonder why the family that runs the funeral homes back home is always rolling in the dough...

Widescreen
2/14/2007, 12:12 PM
Many of these folks were your "innocent" users that you feel like we oughta coddle - that is until they decided they didn't have enough jack to buy that 8-ball, so they shoot some old man for the $180 bucks outta his wallet. Or rob the 7-11.
The typical libertarian would say that if the drugs were legalized, it wouldn't be $180 - it would be $20 so people could afford it and not have to resort to crime to get it. :rolleyes:

BeetDigger
2/14/2007, 12:20 PM
Did Dean reference a swingin vagina?

skycat
2/14/2007, 12:21 PM
The typical libertarian would say that if the drugs were legalized, it wouldn't be $180 - it would be $20 so people could afford it and not have to resort to crime to get it. :rolleyes:

:O

Boarder
2/14/2007, 12:46 PM
http://img69.imageshack.us/img69/4458/bethadamsli6.jpg

This fine person wrote a hot check at a garage sale of ours once.

Boarder
2/14/2007, 12:46 PM
No, she wasn't buying used hair care products.

Widescreen
2/14/2007, 12:47 PM

So who would? Be honest.

sooneron
2/14/2007, 12:52 PM
Did Dean reference a swingin vagina?
He did, and somehow he knows where to get 8 balls for $180!!!!

IN:texan:

sooneron
2/14/2007, 12:55 PM

This fine person wrote a hot check at a garage sale of ours once.
You took a check from that skank?

How are you still in business?

Boarder
2/14/2007, 01:00 PM
:les: Garage Sale

sooneron
2/14/2007, 01:02 PM
:les: Garage Sale
Yeah, but, still...

I would hardly take a check from someone at home if I wouldn't at work.

47straight
2/14/2007, 01:14 PM

The typical libertarian would also forget to factor in the additional number of folks using and who are thus hooked.

C&CDean
2/14/2007, 01:15 PM
He did, and somehow he knows where to get 8 balls for $180!!!!

IN:texan:

Dude, I said enough money for an 8-ball.

And you wouldn't take a check from anybody cause you live in Hell, USA. If I lived where you live I wouldn't take a check either.

IB4OU2
2/14/2007, 01:16 PM
Thers's been some wierd **** going on in Purcell the last year or so.

sooneron
2/14/2007, 01:30 PM
People still use checks?

sooneron
2/14/2007, 01:31 PM
And you wouldn't take a check from anybody cause you live in Hell, USA. If I lived where you live I wouldn't take a check either.
Plus, up here, real men carry a "roll".

http://thumbs.dreamstime.com/thumb_66/11504651592D3MHX.jpg

:texan:

C&CDean
2/14/2007, 01:33 PM
Plus, up here, real men carry a "roll".

http://thumbs.dreamstime.com/thumb_66/11504651592D3MHX.jpg

:texan:

pfffft. A $20 wrapped around a bunch of $1's. Typical yankee. All show and no go.

sooneron
2/14/2007, 01:37 PM
As an aside, there prolly aren't a lot of bouncing checks where I live...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glen_Rock%2C_New_Jersey

Glen Rock is ranked in 47th place among the Highest-income places in the United States with a population of at least 10,000.

BeetDigger
2/14/2007, 01:57 PM
pfffft. A $20 wrapped around a bunch of $1's. Typical yankee. All show and no go.

It's enough to get you a chick with a swingin vagina. I think that the picture of the check floater is pretty representative of what a chick with a swingin vagina looks like.