PDA

View Full Version : So what's all this Carrol to SD Chargers talk--

goingoneight
2/13/2007, 09:02 PM
I've been hearing today??? Any news? Word has it he said "no comment" in a press conference regarding the subject.

NDIrish
2/13/2007, 09:05 PM
It seems like Pete to the NFL rumors spring up every time a team fires a head coach. He is probably just sick of answering questions about going to the NFL. The Chargers won't fork out the moneyfor him.

batonrougesooner
2/13/2007, 09:08 PM
No comment is a pretty strong comment I think.

Who knows? Now that he has his recruiting class signed I would think he might be less inclined to carry on about how happy he is at USC. I for one would think he would be stupid to take the job.

BOOMERBRADLEY
2/13/2007, 09:08 PM
The chargers will hire a coach who knows the game of football.

Book it...

goingoneight
2/13/2007, 09:11 PM
The chargers will hire a coach who knows the game of football.

Book it...

Good, cuz I would really feel pathetic if they took PC over me. :D

goingoneight
2/13/2007, 09:12 PM
It seems like Pete to the NFL rumors spring up every time a team fires a head coach. He is probably just sick of answering questions about going to the NFL. The Chargers won't fork out the moneyfor him.

:les: CHARLIE WEISS TO SAN DIEGO!!! :stunned:

jk the sooner fan
2/13/2007, 10:38 PM
espn had a list of potentials that included bill clownahan

CrimsonChampion
2/13/2007, 10:47 PM
espn had a list of potentials that included bill clownahan

That would be great to get that assclown out of the Big 12. If I were a husker fan I'd be heated just looking at him tarnish the sidelines up there.

On the Carrol subject, I wouldn't be surprised if he left before suc got punished for their infractions, if they do get punished. :rolleyes:

47straight
2/14/2007, 12:08 AM
Pete Carroll runs away from NCAA violations to the pros.

i like that headline

CrimsonChampion
2/14/2007, 12:14 AM
Pete Carroll runs away from NCAA violations to the pros.

i like that headline

Yea, but if that were to happen the headline would probably be more like, "Pistol Pete leaves behind his masterpiece at usc to create new legacy in san diego"

Then a headline would quickly follow, "Pete Carrol fatally egged to death by Sooner fan".

Frozen Sooner
2/14/2007, 12:22 AM
Pete Carroll to San Diego would make me a happy hippo.

Bill Callahan to San Diego is more likely and would make me a sad hippo.

CrimsonChampion
2/14/2007, 12:29 AM
Pete Carroll to San Diego would make me a happy hippo.

Bill Callahan to San Diego is more likely and would make me a sad hippo.

As long as Callahan is at Nebraska we will own them, but his teams don't help the Big 12's image as being a dominate conference. I don't care who they bring in there, we'll always be OU and do what we've historically done to them, which is beat them. I just want to see a team that can win their bowl game, and be the respectable winning program that they are.

Frozen Sooner
2/14/2007, 12:37 AM
I give a crap about the Big 12's image. So long as OU is winning, I don't care.

On the other hand, I'd sort of like the Chargers to win another playoff game in my lifetime.

CrimsonChampion
2/14/2007, 12:43 AM
I give a crap about the Big 12's image. So long as OU is winning, I don't care.

On the other hand, I'd sort of like the Chargers to win another playoff game in my lifetime.

I hear ya, I'm just sick of hearing fans from other conferences saying, "they played the games they had scheduled, that's why they didn't lose." Just completely disrespecting our sucess's. I know they can't say anything about our title in 2000, we beat a high ranked tejas team, #1 Nebraska, a high ranked gay-state team twice, and the aTm ags were ranked too I believe. It was a much more hard fought road than what tex traveled to their title. A friend of mine that is a ut fan even admitted that our title run was way more impressive.

soonerboomer93
2/14/2007, 02:33 AM
As I said

Charges fans, just gotta feel sorry for them :D

TheUnnamedSooner
2/14/2007, 09:08 AM
Pete wouldn't get enough control at the Chargers, so he will stay put.

Fugue
2/14/2007, 09:48 AM
Pete to the Chargers

"Had it up to here" to USC

:texan:

JohnnyMack
2/14/2007, 11:29 AM
JohnnyMack to San Diego would make me a happy hippo.

Me too. I'm sick of this weather.

yermom
2/14/2007, 11:44 AM
pulling a Neweasel on USC is the only reason i can see him going anywhere...

Clownahan to USC would be interesting :D

Oldnslo
2/14/2007, 08:38 PM
I think Schottenheimer is available.

It would make at least as much sense as the first time they hired him.

colleyvillesooner
2/14/2007, 09:29 PM
From http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm

RUMORS SPREAD THAT CARROLL-TO-CHARGERS IS A DONE DEAL

There is increasing talk in league circles regarding suspicions that the San Diego Chargers already have a secret deal in place with USC coach Pete Carroll.

Folks are pointing to some of the same facts we outlined on Monday night, after word broke that Marty Schottenheimer had been fired. Some think that the most convincing proof was/is USC assistant Steve Sarkisian's abrupt about-face with the Raiders, followed days later by the decision of his former Trojan colleague, Lane Kiffin, to take the job.

Why else, the theory goes, would Kiffin take a job that Sarkisian didn't want unless they both knew that Carroll wasn't long for the USC gig, and that Sarkisian, not Kiffin, had been hand-picked to replace him?

Others are pointing to the fact that the first guy to be interviewed is Bears defensive coordinator Ron Rivera, who has no head-coaching experience but who helps the Chargers satisfy the Rooney Rule quickly, in the event that the Pete Carroll cat gets out of the bag prematurely and none of the minority candidates agree to sit for the job. (See Detroit Lions and Steve Mariucci.)

We're also told that there is worry among the incoming class of USC recruits regarding the possibility that Carroll is leaving. But Pete has opted not to even address the situation publicly.

If he were not going to be the San Diego coach, he could easily say so. The fact that he has said nothing at all speaks volumes, in our view. Especially since he now has a couple dozen nervous high school seniors who signed papers seven days ago under the assumption that the head coach would be sticking around for at least the next month.

Stay tuned. We predict that the Chargers will go through the motions with several candidates, and that Carroll will then swoop in out of the blue as the guy.

If that happens, look for Pat Kirwan to soon follow him -- and for G.M. A.J. Smith to definitely get the boot after the draft.

OU-HSV
2/14/2007, 09:36 PM
pulling a Neweasel on USC is the only reason i can see him going anywhere...

Clownahan to USC would be interesting :D
That *** clown would bring their program down

JohnnyMack
2/14/2007, 09:49 PM
From http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm

Taking over a 14 - 2 team, inheriting LT, getting paid **** pots of money to live in San Di-****ing-ego?

Yeah, I'm in.

sooneron
2/14/2007, 09:56 PM
Taking over a 14 - 2 team, inheriting LT, getting paid **** pots of money to live in San Di-****ing-ego?

Yeah, I'm in.
Same here.

BOOMERBRADLEY
2/14/2007, 09:57 PM
Im with you on this one John...hire me as an assistant?

goingoneight
2/14/2007, 11:08 PM
Pete to the Chargers

"Had it up to here" to USC

:texan:

http://users.connections.net/houser/images/supercoach.jpg
This guy's really "had it up to here!" Supa-Slash!!! :eek:

SoonerInKCMO
2/14/2007, 11:40 PM

You better start looking for the Fountain of Youth then. :texan:

Frozen Sooner
2/14/2007, 11:50 PM
You better start looking for the Fountain of Youth then. :texan:

:mad:

yermom
2/14/2007, 11:54 PM
That *** clown would bring their program down

that's what i'm hoping :D

goingoneight
2/15/2007, 01:30 AM
Heh, "F'n Bruins!!!"

swardboy
2/15/2007, 06:43 AM
Beverly f'n hillbillies!

85sooners
2/15/2007, 02:00 PM
:pop:

Dr. Jelly Finger
2/15/2007, 02:29 PM
If Carroll leaves.......

Saban to SUC? That would fit right into his show of character thus far.

footballfanatic
2/15/2007, 03:53 PM
I hear ya, I'm just sick of hearing fans from other conferences saying, "they played the games they had scheduled, that's why they didn't lose." Just completely disrespecting our sucess's. I know they can't say anything about our title in 2000, we beat a high ranked tejas team, #1 Nebraska, a high ranked gay-state team twice, and the aTm ags were ranked too I believe. It was a much more hard fought road than what tex traveled to their title. A friend of mine that is a ut fan even admitted that our title run was way more impressive.

Texas beat a team widely regarded as one of the best ever (it fielded TWO Heisman trophy winners!), in a game that is recognized as posssibly the greatest championship game ever played. Remember what USC, playing with essentially the same team, did to OU the year before? OU barely topped a marginal Florida State team without it's starting quarterback in one of the most desultory championship games on record. Texas also beat a very powerful Ohio State squad in their own stadium, at night, in front of a record crowd and television audience. Texas's victory season is, and will remain, part of college football lore.

MojoRisen
2/15/2007, 04:05 PM
[QUOTE=footballfanatic]Texas beat a team widely regarded as one of the best ever (it fielded TWO Heisman trophy winners!), in a game that is recognized as posssibly the greatest championship game ever played. Remember what USC, playing with essentially the same team, did to OU the year before?

Please they lost 5 too the NFL off of D-Fense. 3 All Americans

jccouger
2/15/2007, 04:09 PM
OU barely topped a marginal Florida State team without it's starting quarterback in one of the most desultory championship games on record.

I had no idea a heisman trophy winner wasnt the starting QB. :rolleyes:

colleyvillesooner
2/15/2007, 04:10 PM
Texas beat a team widely regarded as one of the best ever (it fielded TWO Heisman trophy winners!), in a game that is recognized as posssibly the greatest championship game ever played. Remember what USC, playing with essentially the same team, did to OU the year before? OU barely topped a marginal Florida State team without it's starting quarterback in one of the most desultory championship games on record. Texas also beat a very powerful Ohio State squad in their own stadium, at night, in front of a record crowd and television audience. Texas's victory season is, and will remain, part of college football lore.

Um, okay.

We played two different USC teams. The one you played lost 7 starters from the year before and finshed the season with the 48th ranked defense. The one we played had the 6th ranked defense.

Oh and that marginal Florida State team we played? They finished 1st in offense and 6th in defense.

They played without a starting WR, not QB, and OU put on one of the more dominating (albeit boring to a average fan) defensive performances in Championship game history.

You guys just played "he who scores last wins."

footballfanatic
2/15/2007, 04:34 PM
Um, okay.

We played two different USC teams. The one you played lost 7 starters from the year before and finshed the season with the 48th ranked defense. The one we played had the 6th ranked defense.

Oh and that marginal Florida State team we played? They finished 1st in offense and 6th in defense.

They played without a starting WR, not QB, and OU put on one of the more dominating (albeit boring to a average fan) defensive performances in Championship game history.

You guys just played "he who scores last wins."

Texas won the game for the ages, beating the most dominant team, on a 33-game winning streak. In 2000, there was controversy around whether FSU even belonged in the game, a fact born out by their rather weak performance. While this doesn't take away from an impressive season in a down year for college football, OU's performance is not regarded as particularily memorable or impressive. The Texas season is already regarded as a classic.

Sooner in Tampa
2/15/2007, 04:46 PM
Texas won the game for the ages, beating the most dominant team, on a 33-game winning streak. In 2000, there was controversy around whether FSU even belonged in the game, a fact born out by their rather weak performance. While this doesn't take away from an impressive season in a down year for college football, OU's performance is not regarded as particularily memorable or impressive. The Texas season is already regarded as a classic.:mad:Ummmm....how about you go and f*&k yourself and spew your drivel somewhere else....mmmmmmkkkkkkkaaaaayyyyyyyyy!!!!

colleyvillesooner
2/15/2007, 04:57 PM
:mad:Ummmm....how about you go and f*&k yourself and spew your drivel somewhere else....mmmmmmkkkkkkkaaaaayyyyyyyyy!!!!

heh

colleyvillesooner
2/15/2007, 05:01 PM
Texas won the game for the ages, beating the most dominant team, on a 33-game winning streak. In 2000, there was controversy around whether FSU even belonged in the game, a fact born out by their rather weak performance. While this doesn't take away from an impressive season in a down year for college football, OU's performance is not regarded as particularily memorable or impressive. The Texas season is already regarded as a classic.

So now 2000 was a down year in College Football?

Hmm...lets see. Here's the number of undefeated or 1 loss teams in the Final BCS poll of each year:

1999 - 4
2000 - 7
2001 - 5
2002 - 4
2003 - 6
2004 - 8
2005 - 6
2006 - 6

Try again...

Doged
2/15/2007, 05:18 PM

Son, coming on a Sooner football board and trying to convince us that VY beating USuC is better than the 2000 Sooner defense destroying the Heisman trophy led FSU offense is one of the most stupid endeavors I've ever seen someone undertake... even a whorn fan.

The "rather weak performance" by the FSU offense was because of the terrrific performance by the Sooner defense. The performance of the OU defense that day IS regarded as particularly memorable and impressive, just not by whorn fans like you.

achiro
2/15/2007, 05:19 PM
For those of you that wondered if a "real" footballfanatic could be a football fanatic and not know a damn thing about football...apparently the answer is yes.

footballfanatic
2/15/2007, 05:23 PM
That stat doesn't show the quality of the teams, because it doesn't measure the teams they played, but nice try. here is how the experts rank the greatest bowl games:

By CollegeFootballNews.com
CollegeFootballNews.com
Posted Sep 5, 2006

The Ten Greatest Bowl Games of All-Time.

Pete Fiutak
3. Texas 41 … USC 38 January 4, 2006 Rose Bowl
Texas came back from down 12 in the final 6:42 as Vince Young ran for a 17-yard score with 4:03 to play, the defense held USC's LenDale White on fourth down, and then Young led the offense on a ten-play, 56-yard drive culminating in an eight-yard touchdown run on fourth down for the win. Young ran for 200 yards and three touchdowns, but the Trojan rushing attack was equal to the task with 209 yards led by White's 124 yards and three scores. The Trojans appeared to have it won after Reggie Bush dove for a 26-yard touchdown and Dwayne Jarrett caught a 22-yard touchdown pass in the fourth quarter, but Young proved to be too much to stop. USC cranked out 574 yards of total offense, Texas 556.

2. Ohio State 31 ... Miami 24 2OT January 3, 2003 Fiesta Bowl
It seems like many outside of Columbus have forgotten how amazing this game was. It was a double-overtime national championship; the extra time alone cranked up the intensity factor over most of the other great bowls in college football history. There was the controversy of the Glenn Sharpe pass-interference-non-pass-interference that almost closed out the win for the Canes. There was the ugly turn of the Willis McGahee injury, the amazing strip of Sean Taylor by Maurice Clarett leading to a key field goal, and there was more excitement than any game ever except for …

1. Miami 31 ... Nebraska 30 January 1, 1984 Orange Bowl
Many will say the 2006 Rose Bowl was the greatest ever, but this was simply a better, more exciting game. Nebraska was considered one of the greatest teams of all-time blowing through almost everyone in its path, Miami started the season unranked and worked its way into the position to be a player in the national title discussion. It was simply the greatest, most interesting game ever with wild momentum swings, big plays on both sides, and of course, the ill-fated decision at the end by Tom Osborne to go for two and the win rather than kick the extra point and win the national title.

Richard Cirminiello
Q: The Ten Greatest Bowl Games ...

A: First off, in terms of best bowl games in the annual lineup, the Rose Bowl gets the nod, and it’s not even close. In terms of pageantry and setting, there’s the Granddaddy and then there’s everyone else. It’s the one bowl game that matters regardless of which two teams are paired together. And it’s the one game that, in most years, has a rivalry feel with the Pac-10 and Big Ten champs squaring off. No other bowl game can make either claim. Give me the Rose Bowl to start the year because nothing else epitomizes college football or the bowl season better than a New Year’s Day afternoon in sunny Pasadena.

4. 2005 Rose Bowl – Texas 38 Michigan 37 – Much more than just a sensational New Years’ Day game, this will always be remembered as the birth of a champion. Texas’ win as time expired was the launching point for last year’s national championship and Vince Young’s elevation to a whole new stratosphere. Lost in Young’s shadow that day was a Rose Bowl-record 315 total yards from Michigan’s Steve Breaston.

3. 2003 Fiesta Bowl – Ohio State 31 Miami 24 – Now this is why the BCS was invented. In a classic, the 11 ½-point underdog Buckeyes went toe-to-toe with the mighty ‘Canes in a game that required two overtimes and had the requisite controversial call that’s inherent to all epic games. Ohio State’s 14th win of a miraculous 2002 season ended Miami’s 34-game winning streak and quest for back-to-back national titles.

2. 1984 Orange Bowl – Miami 31 Nebraska 30 – Before the recent run of heart-stoppers, this classic stood alone atop this debate. The Huskers entered the game 12-0, averaging 52 points a game and generating debates whether they were the best team of all-time. They left Miami upset victims after a two-point attempt for the win was batted down with under a minute left.

1. 2006 Rose Bowl – Texas 41 USC 38 – Yes, you can say you watched the greatest bowl game ever played. Considering how hyped this match up of unbeaten powerhouses was, it’s still pretty amazing that it actually exceeded expectations. Vince Young’s final drive and overall effort was one of the great individual performances in college football history.

John Harris
1. 2006 Rose Bowl – Texas – 41 vs. USC – 38 – If you didn’t see it, I can’t do it justice, well not in a paragraph, anyway. Texas QB Vince Young, the best Rose Bowl QB ever, put on a show. In fact, he was 33 yards passing away from going 300/200 pass/rush, which has only been done one time in the history of college football. He did that in the biggest game, arguably, since the inception of the BCS. USC QB Matt Leinart was fabulous in the second half, but VY worked his magic one more time to upset the greatest team of all-time.

2. 2003 Fiesta Bowl – Ohio State – 31 vs. Miami – 24 – Similar to the way that I felt after the 2006 Rose Bowl, there was just this sadness of finality when this game was over. It was so emotion-packed from play one to the final play of the game that it grabbed your attention and didn’t let go. Ohio State head coach Jim Tressel called a magnificent game (Craig Krenzel ran 20 times?), but the pass interference call on fourth down against Miami in overtime opened the door for Ohio State to extend the game and then seal the deal in the third overtime. Man, this was a good one.

3. 1984 Orange Bowl – Miami – 31 vs. Nebraska – 30 – This one began the Hurricanes run of four national titles in nine years and what a way to kick it off. Miami’s Bernie Kosar shredded the Nebraska secondary and shocked the Huskers in a way that they hadn’t seen all season. An ankle injury slowed the 1983 Heisman Trophy winner Mike Rozier, but the Huskers had a final chance to win the game on a two point play after a Jeff Smith touchdown run late in the game. But, the Canes knocked down QB Turner Gill’s throw on the two point conversion and the Canes took home the Orange Bowl trophy and their first national championship.

Matthew Zemek

1) 1984 Orange: Miami 31, Nebraska 30. That this game could have been a tie--except for a noble decision made by Tom Osborne--makes it the best game. The team playing on its home field maxed out for so long, but the formidable No. 1 team in the land made a comeback worthy of the Nebraska name. A classic in every sense, with the kind of ending that made you proud to be a college football fan, regardless of your rooting interest.

2) 2006 Rose: Texas 41, USC 38. A number of distinctly rough edges, but those sloppy patches didn't amount to much against the backdrop of some spectacular athleticism in a suffocating environment thick with pressure.

Two great college quarterbacks--especially Vince Young--made all-time great statements in this shootout. This deserves its elevated place in the college football pantheon.

3) 1973 Sugar: Notre Dame 24, Alabama 23. Two storied programs, two legendary coaches, two passionate teams fighting tirelessly. Stacks of big plays and momentum swings, with some inspired play calling mixed in. College football couldn't get much better than it did on this night in Tulane Stadium.

colleyvillesooner
2/15/2007, 05:32 PM
Your "experts" are from CollegeFootballNews.com?????

BWHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHA
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dude, you are clueless.

Paris of Troy
2/15/2007, 05:51 PM

I'm sorry, not the same team on defense -- by a long shot. And we were so injury-depleted in the Rose Bowl that we had three walk-ons playing in the second half.

Socrefbek
2/15/2007, 05:57 PM
That stat doesn't show the quality of the teams, because it doesn't measure the teams they played, but nice try. here is how the experts rank the greatest bowl games:

By CollegeFootballNews.com
CollegeFootballNews.com
Posted Sep 5, 2006

The Ten Greatest Bowl Games of All-Time.

BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH .....

What that should say is 10 most entertaining bowl games to the casual uninformed fan and idiot sportswriters ...

FOOTBALL FANATIC,

YOU

ARE

TRULY

A

DUMBASS

WHOREN :texan:

footballfanatic
2/15/2007, 06:01 PM
Here is the entire article about greatest bowl games. It's a good read.

http://cfn.scout.com/2/564658.html

sooner94
2/15/2007, 06:02 PM

Damn, if their back-up QB won the Heisman, then their starter must have been freakin' good!

sitzpinkler
2/15/2007, 06:08 PM
Here is the entire article about greatest bowl games. It's a good read.

http://cfn.scout.com/2/564658.html

why are we having to put up with this jackass?

a stupid whorn coming on here and dissing our 2000 team is unacceptable

a friendly debate amongst rivals is one thing, this dip**** has crossed the line

colleyvillesooner
2/15/2007, 06:11 PM
BTW, every single one of your "experts" picked the wrong team in the NC game this year.

sitzpinkler
2/15/2007, 06:27 PM

Kansas State was ranked #2 the first time we played them and #8 the second, Nebraska was ranked #1, Texas was ranked #11, aTm #23, Florida State #3. We played #11, #2, and #1 back-to-back-to-back.

Not to mention 63-14. Remember that?

2000 was our return to greatness after the dark ages of the '90s. 2005 was your team finally accomplishing what it should have much sooner with the amount of talent that's been wasted in Austin.

Your 2005 season pales in comparison to our 2000 season, whorn. Your bowl game was more entertaining and that's all you have.

Getem
2/15/2007, 06:31 PM
You'd think that at least one of the top two teams oughtta be able to play some defense. In 2000, it was both. 2005, nobody. 2000 might not be recognized as "the greatest bowl game EVAR!" because it didn't come down to the wire and there wasn't a lot of scoring, but it's definitely one of the best defensive performances ever.

JohnnyMack
2/15/2007, 08:12 PM
Almost three full pages and I don't think I've seen one Anchorman quote. You guys suck.

Vaevictis
2/15/2007, 09:01 PM
The Texas season is already regarded as a classic.

In Texas, anyway. Austin at a minimum.

Seamus
2/15/2007, 09:45 PM
OU's performance is not regarded as particularily memorable or impressive by Whorn fans. The Texas season is already regarded by Whorn fans as a classic.

Fixed.

You've been convicted of 1st degree fagotage. You, sir, are a dildo. :texan:

OUDoc
2/15/2007, 10:09 PM
OU's performance is not regarded as particularily memorable or impressive. The Texas season is already regarded as a classic.
35 years without a MNC will do that to one's judgment. As Eddie Murphy once said:

If you're starving and somebody throw you a cracker, you gonna be like this:
"Goddamn, that's the best cracker I ever ate in my life!
"That ain't no regular cracker, was it?
What was that, a Saltine?
"Goddamn, that was delicious.
"That wasn't no Saltine. That was...
That was a Ritz. That wasn't a Ritz?
"God, that was the best cracker
I ever ate in my life.
"Can I have another one, please?
Please, one more."
UT's 2005 season was just a good saltine, man.

yermom
2/15/2007, 10:20 PM
Almost three full pages and I don't think I've seen one Anchorman quote. You guys suck.

how can One-Pete resist the Whale's Vagina?

yermom
2/15/2007, 10:22 PM
and seriously guys, that was an amazing Rose Bowl game. 2 in a row, actually

i'd still rather hear about Radio and his two Rose Bowl MVPs than how we lost the most exiting BCS game to the underdog last season

JohnnyMack
2/15/2007, 10:32 PM
and seriously guys, that was an amazing Rose Bowl game. 2 in a row, actually

i'd still rather hear about Radio and his two Rose Bowl MVPs than how we lost the most exiting BCS game to the underdog last season

LOUD NOISES!!!!!!!

goingoneight
2/16/2007, 12:00 AM
Kansas State was ranked #2 the first time we played them and #8 the second, Nebraska was ranked #1, Texas was ranked #11, aTm #23, Florida State #3. We played #11, #2, and #1 back-to-back-to-back.

Not to mention 63-14. Remember that?

2000 was our return to greatness after the dark ages of the '90s. 2005 was your team finally accomplishing what it should have much sooner with the amount of talent that's been wasted in Austin.

Your 2005 season pales in comparison to our 2000 season, whorn. Your bowl game was more entertaining and that's all you have.

Bingo-Bango-Bongo. End of story.

Sooner in Tampa
2/16/2007, 06:31 AM
chirp...chirp...chirp:D

Doged
2/16/2007, 06:38 AM
chirp...chirp...chirp:D

C'mon, give the whorn some time. He probably got hold of some new pictures of those Chik-fil-a cows and had to take a spank break.

The USuC board that I sometimes visit is treating the Carrol to SD rumors pretty much like we treat the annual "Stoops to whatever NFL team" rumors.

footballfanatic
2/16/2007, 10:06 AM
The stats don't change the fact that the Sooner win didn't capture the imagination of the country the way the Texas win did. Face it, people love offense. Would anyone disagree with that statement?

You may be surprised to hear how comforting it is to read all of your opinions. I've been over on Youtube getting really ****ed off reading comments from Europeans about how stupid American sports are. Screw those losers. They lose World Cups and wars.

Blitzkrieg
2/16/2007, 10:36 AM
I've heard that Petey is waiting on the new LA franchise when it happens, he'll have total control to build an NFL team.

The franchise fee will be a cool BILLION dollars, that's an automatic 33 million to each NFL owner.

sitzpinkler
2/16/2007, 10:43 AM
The stats don't change the fact that the Sooner win didn't capture the imagination of the country the way the Texas win did. Face it, people love offense. Would anyone disagree with that statement?

You're preaching this **** to the wrong crowd, whorn.

OUDoc
2/16/2007, 11:37 AM

63 points against you guys wasn't enough? Must be why we put up more later.

Vaevictis
2/16/2007, 01:15 PM
The stats don't change the fact that the Sooner win didn't capture the imagination of the country the way the Texas win did.

In Texas, anyway. Austin at a minimum. :D

BASSooner
2/16/2007, 01:18 PM

You may be surprised to hear how comforting it is to read all of your opinions. I've been over on Youtube getting really ****ed off reading comments from Europeans about how stupid American sports are. Screw those losers. They lose World Cups and wars.
don't post something on this board unless your going to be completely unbiased about it.

And since you are being biased, I have something to say that is a bit biased as well.

You're game was a bit more entertaining than OUrs, HOWEVER, when it all comes down.

Crowds love underdogs right? We came into the season that year being ranked 19th, as underdogs and beat EVERY big 12 team we played. We were pretty talented but not as talented as some opponents that we played. People love to see underrated teams start from the bottom and finish on top and that is EXACTLY what we did and if you think of it this way. You could make a movie about OUr 2000 football team. You could make one also for your 2005 team but the story wouldn't be as dramatic as the one that we had. You guys were number 2 the entire way, I mean it was NO SURPRISE. EVERYONE KNEW WHO WAS #1 and #2. The great thing about us was that NOBODY expected us to be this good and win a championship in the year 2000. That is something people love to see.

RedstickSooner
2/16/2007, 02:22 PM

Sweet mother of Abraham Lincoln.

Are you capable of listening? Or do you just post because you *really* enjoy reading something you've read, and don't have the chops to get, say, a cheesy column in a community newsletter?

We didn't say we captured anyone's "imagination" - we said it was a great win. Being a great win does NOT mean the game is a great game - or will be on anyone's top-10 list. The top bowl games, as you've probably noticed, were all close affairs -- which is why the "greatest" bowl game we've played this century is that (*%&*(&#$ game against Boise State.

Your bowl game was a great game - but here's where it gets tricky. And where I really, truly hope you might actually listen. It wasn't a much greater WIN than our win over Free Shoes U.

Notice I didn't say smaller. Notice I didn't even say it wasn't a greater win - because it was a better win. Both teams were undefeated, whereas our foe had a single loss.

However, your win wasn't head and shoulders better than ours - you just barely won, in a game where any impartial observer would've said that *either* team could've won, with the outcome largely determined by when the final whistle happened to blow.

We, on the other hand, took on what was being referred to as one of the greatest offenses in the modern history of football -- and then completely shut that offense down. It's easy to forget, in the amnesiac world of college football, but the 2000 Seminoles were averaging some insane quantity of points on offense - in the upper 40s, I believe. Their loss came against Miami, a team which the Florida State of the 90s and early 00s choked against with predictable regularity. Had they played *anyone* other than Miami in that game that year, they would've beaten their foe handily. Frankly, I think that could've included our own team that season. Had we not had extra prep time, I don't think we could've beaten Free Shoes in 2000. Back then, extra prep time was like steroids for our team. And, for the record, had we played Miamuh in 2000, we would've beaten them like rented mules, too.

FSU got handled, but that didn't mean they sucked. We just had a dominating defense.

The best wins aren't the best games -- because a great win involves dominating the heck out of your foe. Sadly, many folks are confused on this issue, because they don't see the distinction. A close game makes for a great game. A blowout makes for a great win.

Seamus
2/16/2007, 02:26 PM

Don't forget Irving!

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e31/witchysammy/mosquitos.jpg

footballfanatic
2/16/2007, 02:40 PM
don't post something on this board unless your going to be completely unbiased about it.

And since you are being biased, I have something to say that is a bit biased as well.

You're game was a bit more entertaining than OUrs, HOWEVER, when it all comes down.

Crowds love underdogs right? We came into the season that year being ranked 19th, as underdogs and beat EVERY big 12 team we played. We were pretty talented but not as talented as some opponents that we played. People love to see underrated teams start from the bottom and finish on top and that is EXACTLY what we did and if you think of it this way. You could make a movie about OUr 2000 football team. You could make one also for your 2005 team but the story wouldn't be as dramatic as the one that we had. You guys were number 2 the entire way, I mean it was NO SURPRISE. EVERYONE KNEW WHO WAS #1 and #2. The great thing about us was that NOBODY expected us to be this good and win a championship in the year 2000. That is something people love to see.

Good points. I like the reasoning. Being a supreme underdog is a great story.

badger
2/16/2007, 02:41 PM
carroll saying "no comment" is what saban should have said in regard to "alabama." I think the coaches have learned their lesson about saying stuff, yknow?

footballfanatic
2/16/2007, 02:47 PM
Sweet mother of Abraham Lincoln.

Are you capable of listening? Or do you just post because you *really* enjoy reading something you've read, and don't have the chops to get, say, a cheesy column in a community newsletter?

We didn't say we captured anyone's "imagination" - we said it was a great win. Being a great win does NOT mean the game is a great game - or will be on anyone's top-10 list. The top bowl games, as you've probably noticed, were all close affairs -- which is why the "greatest" bowl game we've played this century is that (*%&*(&#$ game against Boise State.

Your bowl game was a great game - but here's where it gets tricky. And where I really, truly hope you might actually listen. It wasn't a much greater WIN than our win over Free Shoes U.

Notice I didn't say smaller. Notice I didn't even say it wasn't a greater win - because it was a better win. Both teams were undefeated, whereas our foe had a single loss.

However, your win wasn't head and shoulders better than ours - you just barely won, in a game where any impartial observer would've said that *either* team could've won, with the outcome largely determined by when the final whistle happened to blow.

We, on the other hand, took on what was being referred to as one of the greatest offenses in the modern history of football -- and then completely shut that offense down. It's easy to forget, in the amnesiac world of college football, but the 2000 Seminoles were averaging some insane quantity of points on offense - in the upper 40s, I believe. Their loss came against Miami, a team which the Florida State of the 90s and early 00s choked against with predictable regularity. Had they played *anyone* other than Miami in that game that year, they would've beaten their foe handily. Frankly, I think that could've included our own team that season. Had we not had extra prep time, I don't think we could've beaten Free Shoes in 2000. Back then, extra prep time was like steroids for our team. And, for the record, had we played Miamuh in 2000, we would've beaten them like rented mules, too.

FSU got handled, but that didn't mean they sucked. We just had a dominating defense.

The best wins aren't the best games -- because a great win involves dominating the heck out of your foe. Sadly, many folks are confused on this issue, because they don't see the distinction. A close game makes for a great game. A blowout makes for a great win.

I like this post, as well. I could be convinced--except for the beating Miami angle. Needless to repeat here, we'll never know what would have happened. It seems I remember that many people felt it should have been Miami in the game, not FSU, but great post with good points.

I do have a sad memory from that season. I watched the 2000 Big 12 championship game from our hotel room in the Marriott in the World Trade Center. On 9/11, I ran into a couple of guys from our midtown office walking up 2nd Avenue. They wanted to know where they could find a hotel room since the city was closed and they couldn't leave. My young daughter asked if they could go stay in the hotel we stayed at "way downtown in the big building." She didn't understand that the hotel was destroyed.

PLaw
2/16/2007, 10:15 PM
No comment is a pretty strong comment I think.

Who knows? Now that he has his recruiting class signed I would think he might be less inclined to carry on about how happy he is at USC. I for one would think he would be stupid to take the job.

Especially since SUC is headed for probation when this whole Bushy mess gets the bushhog treatment.

insuranceman_22
2/16/2007, 11:31 PM
Damn, if their back-up QB won the Heisman, then their starter must have been freakin' good!

College football lore....only if you live in saxet & are a whorn fan (poor bastards)

CrimsonChampion
2/17/2007, 02:04 AM

You stay classy Oklahoma

Sooner in Tampa
2/17/2007, 02:11 PM
Do you know San Diego means???

It's German for a Whale's Vagina.

colleyvillesooner
2/17/2007, 03:26 PM
too late dude. ;)

yermom
2/17/2007, 03:29 PM
i'm pretty sure it means "Saint Diego"

colleyvillesooner