PDA

View Full Version : Border Collie vs. Blue Heeler

royalfan5
2/13/2007, 01:53 PM
My officemate and I were debating the relative merits of this two breeds of dog. I plan on getting a dog once I start running cattle on my own place, and right now I favor getting a blue heeler, my officemate says I should get a border collie. Do you folk on the board have an opinion of the merits of these dog breeds.

sooneron
2/13/2007, 01:55 PM
One is more annoying than the other. I hope that helps.

Of course, the more annoying one may be best suited.

SicEmBaylor
2/13/2007, 01:56 PM
English Bulldog.
I adore mine.

royalfan5
2/13/2007, 01:57 PM
English Bulldog.
I adore mine.
can it work cattle? If it can't it's more useless than a cat or rat terrier.

SicEmBaylor
2/13/2007, 01:58 PM
It can grab the SOB by the snout and wrestle it to the ground!

C&CDean
2/13/2007, 01:59 PM
Border collie.

The only reason I say that is that they're a little more social, good with kids, etc. Heelers are great dogs - but they're very much a one-person dog.

Both are great working dogs. There's a guy out by me who advertises that he'll round up all your "hard to catch" cattle or it's free. He uses a couple heelers and a border collie and his horse. It's incredible to watch those dogs work. Of course when he dismounts and calls the dogs the heelers run up to about 6 feet behind him and lay down. If he moves, they move with him keeping the same distance at all times. If he stops, they lay.

The border collie just comes up to get petted, and will climb in his lap.

C&CDean
2/13/2007, 02:00 PM

Oh, so you ain't got mice or rats in Nibbish? I won't own a cat, but my rat terriers are far from useless.

royalfan5
2/13/2007, 02:01 PM
Oh, so you ain't got mice or rats in Nibbish? I won't own a cat, but my rat terriers are far from useless.
My scale goes working dog>rat terrier or cat>other dogs. I love rat terriers and had several when I was younger, but cats do a better job on swallows and sparrows.

sooneron
2/13/2007, 02:04 PM
Border collie.

The only reason I say that is that they're a little more social, good with kids, etc. Heelers are great dogs - but they're very much a one-person dog.

Both are great working dogs. There's a guy out by me who advertises that he'll round up all your "hard to catch" cattle or it's free. He uses a couple heelers and a border collie and his horse. It's incredible to watch those dogs work. Of course when he dismounts and calls the dogs the heelers run up to about 6 feet behind him and lay down. If he moves, they move with him keeping the same distance at all times. If he stops, they lay.

The border collie just comes up to get petted, and will climb in his lap.
Yep, this was along the lines of what I was thinking.

skycat
2/13/2007, 02:14 PM
Border Collie all the way. They can be a little dog aggressive, but they are very people friendly. (at least that's true of my particular dog).

Of course, his primary "job" is chasing frisbees. He would have made a fine working dog though.

http://www.machafamily.org/Albums/Dogs/2006/slides/DSC_0556.jpg

http://www.machafamily.org/Albums/Dogs/2006/slides/DSC_1735.jpg

yermom
2/13/2007, 02:25 PM
the Border Collies i have been around are annoying as hell

the Blue Heelers seemed more reserved

okiehawk
2/13/2007, 02:30 PM
Don`t think you can go wrong with either one,both are good working dogs if trained properly.My preference would be the blue heeler though.

Pfunk
2/13/2007, 02:44 PM
Or you could go my route and get a mixed breed border collie blue heeler. I dont use mine as a working dog though. It is hard to do wrong with either breed. I feel that the heeler are a little more sturdy.

Pfunk
2/13/2007, 02:56 PM
Also you want to make sure you get them from a working bloodline, whichever breed you choose.

LilSooner
2/13/2007, 03:00 PM
Had both, but I love blue heelers. I like that they are a one person dog, but then again I'm a selfish brat that needs the validation of a dog :D

DustySooner
2/13/2007, 03:12 PM
Had both, but I love blue heelers. I like that they are a one person dog, but then again I'm a selfish brat that needs the validation of a dog :D

I like blue heelers more myself. It's funny to see blue heelers out in a yard with other dogs nipping at their feet trying to hurd them around.

proud gonzo
2/13/2007, 04:55 PM
border collie.

they're cuter :D

BeetDigger
2/13/2007, 05:03 PM
A Boarder Collie vs. Blue Healer thread getting a bunch of play. This isn't the SO that I know.

crawfish
2/13/2007, 05:03 PM
If you want those kind of dogs, make sure you spend lots and lots of time with 'em. They get neurotic when they're bored.

BajaOklahoma
2/13/2007, 06:18 PM
A Boarder Collie vs. Blue Healer thread getting a bunch of play. This isn't the SO that I know.

Boarder Collie > Blue Heeler.
I would actually take an OES, except they require a lot of grooming for a working dog.

The Westminster dog Show is going on. I am sad that Smokin' didn't make it as Best of Breed (OES). I'm thinking about a Komador for the next dog.

BeetDigger
2/13/2007, 06:36 PM
Boarder Collie > Blue Heeler.
I would actually take an OES, except they require a lot of grooming for a working dog.

The Westminster dog Show is going on. I am sad that Smokin' didn't make it as Best of Breed (OES). I'm thinking about a Komador for the next dog.

You're not helping things.

BajaOklahoma
2/13/2007, 07:14 PM
You're not helping things.

:O

Go to www.msnbc.com and click on the slides for the dog show. If number 13, the mastif and his owner, doesn't crack you up, then you need to see the doctor.

Rogue
2/13/2007, 08:32 PM
Go to www.msnbc.com and click on the slides for the dog show. If number 13, the mastif and his owner, doesn't crack you up, then you need to see the doctor.

That was pretty funny.

I love me some working dogs. My old German Shepherd Dog is getting on in years. I can't tell you how many times when we've been out in town somebody has had to stop me to tell me about the "best dog I ever had." Invariably a shepherd.

Some heelers are very sociable. The neighbors' heeler comes up to my porch every day for some ear rubbin'. She isn't aggressive but is sort of aloof and standoff-ish with most folks.

I'd say it depends on what kind of pet you want/need, but both breeds are consistently even-tempered, very intelligent and eager to please, and good all around dogs. In my experience, BC's tend to bark more. And females of working breeds are usually more territorial of their "pack, den, and herd."

And, for the record, all dogs > cats. I'm afraid that when cats began to outnumber dogs as pets, it was the beginning of the fall of western civilization.

sooneron
2/13/2007, 10:27 PM
That slide show reminded me of a question that I wanted to ask last night. Why not an Australian shepherd? Are they primarily sheep dogs?

I have met a couple of sweet healers, but their high pitched "bark" makes me want to pull a Clark Griswold on em.

bluedogok
2/14/2007, 05:33 PM
I have a blue heeler and is where my username came from, BLUE heeler DOG in OKlahoma (at the time). She came from working parents but she is a pet, although she tries to herd us through the house and my nephew when we are in OKC. Great dogs, although I think the "one person" thing is more in how they are socialized as pups. I have seen some that were very sociable and others not as much. They do have many "voices" and that shrill, high pitched bark can get annoying although it usually takes a few previous barks to get to that point.

But as others have stated, it is hard to go wrong with either breed.

Soonrboy
2/14/2007, 05:41 PM
We used to have a border collie when both the kids were very young. The dog was so neurotic, going around the house checking on everyone. We told the vet about it and he said that the dog was trying to keep us herded. Then we noticed that the only time that the dog was truly relaxed was when we were all in the same room together. We gave the poor thing to some people who were more outside active than we are.

GottaHavePride
2/14/2007, 05:44 PM
That slide show reminded me of a question that I wanted to ask last night. Why not an Australian shepherd? Are they primarily sheep dogs?

I have met a couple of sweet healers, but their high pitched "bark" makes me want to pull a Clark Griswold on em.

Winner.

sooneron
2/14/2007, 05:50 PM
We used to have a border collie when both the kids were very young. The dog was so neurotic, going around the house checking on everyone. We told the vet about it and he said that the dog was trying to keep us herded. Then we noticed that the only time that the dog was truly relaxed was when we were all in the same room together. We gave the poor thing to some people who were more outside active than we are.
That was very smart on your family's part.

usmc-sooner
2/14/2007, 06:43 PM
Blue Heeler,

either way you got to teach them what you want them to do not just turn them loose on the cows. I had a Heeler that would fight a pitbull if I wanted him to. Very loyal but like CC Dean says they get attached to one person quite easily.

SoonersEnFuego
2/14/2007, 09:13 PM
I have a Border Collie and a Blue Heeler. Border Collie = "Boomer", Blue Heeler = "Roofus"
I favor the border collie because is minds waaaaay better than the blue heeler. I'm actually thinking about getting rid of the blue heeler because he cannot contain himself whenever someone says the word "outside". Boomer will run to the door but Roofus barks his head off. We have a baby on the way and if my wife or I get up in the middle of the night he likes to bark and I might have to kick him if he wakes the baby up. Free to a good home if you want him. Both of their pictures are on my myspace.

http://www.myspace.com/ronfreeman85

But to answer the question, if you don't want Roofus, get a Border Collie, no doubt about it.

SoonersEnFuego
2/14/2007, 09:14 PM
Yes this Blue Heeler is brave and would fight any dog you wanted him to. Also part of the problem.

sooneron
2/14/2007, 09:53 PM
Here's a good question. Have you ever been walking down a sidewalk and someone is walking their dog the opposite direction and just before you cross, the dog gives you a double take as if to make eye contact? I mean, this look is like the dog knew you in a past life or something! Anyone else?

Kels
2/14/2007, 11:24 PM
I've used both to work cattle (~200 Full French Limousin). Blue Heeler, hands down. Border Collies are too hyper, and even the well-trained ones can get neurotic around a herd.

Blue Heelers aren't as sociable, but IMO are better working dogs that can stay focused for longer periods of time. Tough son of a guns, too.

Worked with a Border Collie/Blue Heeler mix as well. A good dog that was friendly and able to work all day without wiggin' out. Not as consistent as a pure-bred Blue Heeler, though.

SoonerGirl06
2/14/2007, 11:27 PM
I'd go with a Blue Heeler all the way... "Sugar" was one of the best dogs I've ever had.... she was simply amazing and the most lovable dogs you'd ever encounter. Very protective, but not overly so.