PDA

View Full Version : OU wrestling, where do we go?

usmc-sooner
2/12/2007, 09:27 PM
I know most people don't give a darn, but I am frustrated.

Should we stick with Spates or go in another direction? I think it's time to start over.

I know it's a stupid dream, but could we lure Gable from the Hawkeye as coach ranks. That would be awesome, go old school and start a new tradition.

soonerjoker
2/13/2007, 11:11 AM
or maybe one of the smith brothers.

OSUAggie
2/13/2007, 11:17 AM
No way you'll get Gable. I think he's committed to moving Iowa back up to where he had them, or at least back on an even level with OSU. I do agree that no progress has been made with Spates.

usmc-sooner
2/14/2007, 06:32 PM
I know we couldn't get Gable but it would be nice. I wouldn't mind Pat Smith. I doubt he'd take on OU with his brother being in Stillwater.

Okieflyer
2/14/2007, 06:36 PM
I don't know what they do, but Spates has to go. How does Missouri do what OU can't?

They hire an ex-OU asst. coach!

Fraggle145
2/14/2007, 07:35 PM
I am tired of Spates as well, he hasnt made any progress, granted we typically land in the top 10, and I think we won the Big XII tournament in '99 and '02. Going against OSU for everything has got to be pretty tough, as it is the only thing they are good at besides humpin sheep and smelling like pig ****. But losing to them this many times in a row is retarded. ANd this nosedive our team has taken this year sucks donkey balls.

OSUAggie
2/14/2007, 10:13 PM
To be fair, we're pretty decent at golf, as well.

Fraggle145
2/15/2007, 02:16 AM
To be fair, we're pretty decent at golf, as well.

ya but UGA whips your *** at it so I am fine with it. Also if wrestiling according to the masses on here is not worth mentioning (not my opinion) Then college golf gets about as much attention as a bear's fart in the woods.

OU_Sooners75
2/15/2007, 05:38 AM
No matter what we do, we will always and forever play second fiddle to Okie Lite when it comes to wrestling. Spates may not have gotten us over the top, but I do not think we can actually find a coach that will get us there since we have to compete with Okie Lite ever year in the Big 12.

Wrestling is more or less an individual sport. It is you against the other guy. Yes, they have duals where team scores are kept, but never in the wrestling world will there be other people to help you if you make a mistake, like you have in football, basketball, baseball, or even hockey.

In that, the kids that make it to D-1 wrestling already know what they are doing. It is up to the individual to stay in shape, to hone their skills, and to win a match for their school.

Gable, John Smith, or anyone else will not be able to get the kids to wrestle past their physical and talent level, ever. Sure, determine and drive can be a factor, but the coaches cannot install that into a kid either.

soonerjoker
2/15/2007, 09:43 AM
you don't think gable or smith could take them beyond where they are, coming out of HS ???

if true, it's all about recruiting.

OU_Sooners75
2/17/2007, 05:48 AM
you don't think gable or smith could take them beyond where they are, coming out of HS ???

if true, it's all about recruiting.

Lets put it this way.
All bias aside...

In football, if you were a stud recruit and both OU and OSU were really, really, really wanting you, who would you chose?

Most likely OU over OSU if your intentions were for the accolades and fame and the chance to win conference and national championships.

Granted, if you have your mind set on what you wish to major in, one school may offer it and the other may not, but most recruits are not thinking that, unless both schools are on even level with each other when it comes to recognition and tradition. In Football, OU has Okie Lite beat bad, and in Wrestling, Okie Lite has OU beat bad in those departments.

Now, if we did get someone like Dan Gable or John Smith to coach us in wrestling, will OU be better? Maybe a little, but we would never land the recruits and talent that Okie Lite or Iowa gets simply because of who they are when it comes to the world of Collegiate wrestling.

The biggest difference between High School and College Wrestling...Stength and conditioning, as well as dedication. Like I said in the previous post. If you are good enough to get to a D-1 school for wrestling, you pretty much have the mechanics and the talent and the skill to succeed anywhere. The kids entering into D-1 wrestling pretty much know what they are good at and what they are not. They know 99% of the moves in wrestling. 99% or more wrestle year round in college, freestyle and even Greco-Roman styles. The kids know what they are doing and they are exceptional at it.

soonerjoker
2/17/2007, 12:27 PM
totally agree !!!

usmc-sooner
2/17/2007, 12:54 PM
Lets put it this way.
All bias aside...

In football, if you were a stud recruit and both OU and OSU were really, really, really wanting you, who would you chose?

Most likely OU over OSU if your intentions were for the accolades and fame and the chance to win conference and national championships.

Granted, if you have your mind set on what you wish to major in, one school may offer it and the other may not, but most recruits are not thinking that, unless both schools are on even level with each other when it comes to recognition and tradition. In Football, OU has Okie Lite beat bad, and in Wrestling, Okie Lite has OU beat bad in those departments.

Now, if we did get someone like Dan Gable or John Smith to coach us in wrestling, will OU be better? Maybe a little, but we would never land the recruits and talent that Okie Lite or Iowa gets simply because of who they are when it comes to the world of Collegiate wrestling.

The biggest difference between High School and College Wrestling...Stength and conditioning, as well as dedication. Like I said in the previous post. If you are good enough to get to a D-1 school for wrestling, you pretty much have the mechanics and the talent and the skill to succeed anywhere. The kids entering into D-1 wrestling pretty much know what they are good at and what they are not. They know 99% of the moves in wrestling. 99% or more wrestle year round in college, freestyle and even Greco-Roman styles. The kids know what they are doing and they are exceptional at it.

well somehow Mizzu has done it. We've got much more history than them. We've landed plenty of big boy recruits such as Teyon Ware recently. I'm a wrestler (or was) I know what your saying but we can do much better than where we are now. I also realize coaching is huge part of the equation. You've got to inspire and motivate and point out weaknesses these kids have. Most of them aren't used to being beat in HS and they can develop bad habits or let the conditioning slip, this is where the coach has to know how to relate and push the buttons for the kids.

OU_Sooners75
2/17/2007, 04:54 PM
well somehow Mizzu has done it. We've got much more history than them. We've landed plenty of big boy recruits such as Teyon Ware recently. I'm a wrestler (or was) I know what your saying but we can do much better than where we are now. I also realize coaching is huge part of the equation. You've got to inspire and motivate and point out weaknesses these kids have. Most of them aren't used to being beat in HS and they can develop bad habits or let the conditioning slip, this is where the coach has to know how to relate and push the buttons for the kids.

And any good coach can do that. OU gets good recruits. There is a reason we are in the top 10 consistently. However, I do not see us making a push for national titles every single year in wrestling, no matter who our coach is or was. Missouri has been amongst the powers of the Big 12 for quite sometime. They recently have started to be better than what they were, it all started in 2003. OU has had runs like Missouri is experiencing now. It usually does not last more than a few years.

Am I saying OU has no shot to compete with Okie Lite or Iowa? No I am not. I am saying we do not have the prestige as those two schools and it would be very hard to sustain a run against them for very long when it comes to wrestling. Would I love to see it happen, you bet your *** I do.

OU_Sooners75
2/17/2007, 04:55 PM
Oh and I too was a wrestler.

Scott D
2/17/2007, 05:51 PM
haven't you paid attention to the football board, the whole Bomar thing is getting our entire athletic program shut down permanently.

usmc-sooner
2/17/2007, 06:51 PM
haven't you paid attention to the football board, the whole Bomar thing is getting our entire athletic program shut down permanently.

that won't stop me from rolling around on the mat with other men. :D

OU_Sooners75
2/18/2007, 09:45 AM

From one wrestler to another, that sounded gay as hell! :eek:

Fraggle145
2/20/2007, 09:44 AM
Took down Hofstra over the weekend... things are looking up.

Scott D
2/20/2007, 10:42 AM

Corps is having another mixer night aren't they? :D