PDA

View Full Version : OU Receives NCAA Allegations Notice

Octavian
2/12/2007, 05:07 PM
As anticipated, the University of Oklahoma has received its notice of allegations from the NCAA related to the employment of student-athletes at a Norman automobile dealership and has announced its self-imposed penalties.

According to OU officials, after several months of additional review and investigation by the University and the NCAA the content of the notice revealed nothing new from the University’s original report with respect to the focus of the investigation.

“The notice is part of the process we anticipated and is based on information contained in the report we submitted to the NCAA on August 21, 2006,” said OU Athletics Director Joe Castiglione. “The University diligently investigated this matter and has worked closely with the NCAA throughout this process so there are no surprises.”

The first allegation was reported by the University based on facts developed by its athletics compliance staff. The lone additional allegation included in the notice by the NCAA is that the institution failed to adequately monitor the specific employment of some student athletes during a limited period of time, a more limited allegation than “failure to monitor.” Specifically, the NCAA alleged that the University did not collect some of its own forms in a timely manner during a period of time that the University reported it was transitioning these duties to improve its overall program. Additionally, the NCAA alleges that the University failed to detect that some football student-athletes were working during the academic year. The University has reported that these football student-athletes did not complete the standard and required forms for academic year employment during the time in question.

“From our perspective, any allegation related to our monitoring activities, no matter how limited, is not warranted,” Castiglione continued. “The NCAA does not appear to be contesting the speed of our response or the action that we took. I think any school would agree that monitoring practices can always be improved, and we constantly seek to improve our practices, but we also recognize that it was our staff that originally uncovered and reported the violations that had occurred.

“Upon completing our investigation, the University took action above and beyond what was required under the NCAA rules. The University permanently banned the involved parties from further athletics participation at the school. Upon review, the NCAA reinstated the eligibility of the involved students. However, we maintained our original action of permanent dismissal of the involved parties.

“We are eager to move forward toward the conclusion of this matter,” Castiglione continued. “The University reported findings to the NCAA, and head football coach Bob Stoops was swift in administering action that reflects the values of the athletics program and the University. In fact, NCAA President Myles Brand publicly commended OU for the action we took when he discovered the facts in this case. We believe the system worked in this case. We have demonstrated our continuing commitment to incorporate industry “best practices.” We will continue to improve our systems – an action that was actually occurring at the time we uncovered the violations -- and to refine our program. Our message is clear: OU will never compromise its high ethical standards or its integrity. While no system can stop all willful and intentionally concealed violations, we will always take appropriate action consistent with both NCAA rules and what we stand for as an institution.”

Representatives from the University will meet with the NCAA’s Committee on Infractions to review the case. That meeting is set for April 14, 2007, in Indianapolis, Ind.

University of Oklahoma Self-Imposed Penalties

It is standard practice -- even in self-reported cases and even when there is no fault by the institution or by any of its employees – for the institution to impose penalties on itself to counteract any potential advantage that may have been unknowingly gained. As part of this standard process with regard to this matter, below are listed the penalties the University of Oklahoma imposed on itself.

• The University permanently dismissed two student-athletes from the football team.

• During the 2006-07 academic year, the University did not re-award or re-allocate any athletic scholarships that may have been available as a result of this action.

[Note: This penalty resulted in a reduction of available athletic scholarships.]

• Since February 2006, the University has prohibited student-athletes from working at Big Red Sports and Imports automobile dealership. This restriction will continue for at least an additional three years (through at least the end of the 2008-09 academic year).

• The University has disassociated the individual who supervised the student-athletes while they worked at Big Red, for at least five years (until August 21, 2011) from any involvement with the athletics department, including:

(a) Prohibiting the individual from employing University student-athletes;
(b) Not accepting any assistance from the individual that would aid in the recruitment of prospective student-athletes or the support of enrolled student-athletes;
(c) Refusing all financial assistance for the institution's athletics program from the individual;
(d) Ensuring that no athletics benefits or privileges are provided to the individual, that are not available to the public at large; and
(e) Taking such other actions against the individual that the institution determines to be within its authority to eliminate the involvement of the individual in the institution's athletics program.

• Had the prior ownership of Big Red remained in place, the University would have disassociated the dealership from any involvement with the athletics department under the same conditions and for at least the same period of time.

[Note: The ownership of Big Red during the timeframe of the violations was completely replaced in the Spring of 2006 by individuals who had no involvement in the violations or with the dealership during the timeframe the violations occurred. The current ownership of Big Red has assisted the University in this process.]

• The University will reduce the number of football coaches who can recruit off campus by one during the Fall 2007 evaluation period. [Note: While there is absolutely no allegation of wrong-doing by the coaches or staff, this penalty was imposed to counteract any possible or perceived advantage gained as a result of the violations by others as reported by the University.

http://www.soonersports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=300&ATCLID=793654

soonerlaw
2/12/2007, 05:13 PM
I didn't realize OU self-imposed all those penalties, especially the 1-less coach recruiting and not utilizing the extra schollies. Hopefully that will be enough to the NCAA as well.

XingTheRubicon
2/12/2007, 05:13 PM
Death Penalty

Widescreen
2/12/2007, 05:34 PM
It's retarded that the NCAA continues to drag this process out. They could very easily rule on this with the available information. Guh.

Ton Loc
2/12/2007, 05:43 PM
I wish they would hurry the hell up...

FYI...the stuff has hit the fan on the enemies' forums

TheUnnamedSooner
2/12/2007, 06:04 PM
I can't wait to see what happens to suc

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
2/12/2007, 06:11 PM
IMO this case (Bomar/Quinn) will not be completed by the NCAA until AFTER the '08 recruiting, a year from now.

snp
2/12/2007, 06:30 PM
According to OU officials, after several months of additional review and investigation by the University and the NCAA the content of the notice revealed nothing new from the University’s original report with respect to the focus of the investigation.

This is good.

MamaMia
2/12/2007, 06:43 PM
Representatives from the University will meet with the NCAA’s Committee on Infractions to review the case. That meeting is set for April 14, 2007, in Indianapolis, Ind.When are they going to meet to conclude the case? Whats left to review?

footballfanatic
2/12/2007, 06:54 PM
Here is another article on the story:

NORMAN, Okla. (AP) -- The NCAA alleges Oklahoma failed to adequately monitor the employment of several student-athletes, including some football players who worked during the academic year.

The NCAA's findings came in an investigation after Oklahoma self-reported violations and dismissed starting quarterback Rhett Bomar and offensive lineman J.D. Quinn in August for taking excess pay from a Norman car dealership where they worked.

Oklahoma disclosed Monday that it had received its notice of allegations from the NCAA and is scheduled to appear before the NCAA's Committee on Infractions on April 14 in Indianapolis.

Oklahoma also appeared before the committee last April following an investigation into hundreds of improper recruiting phone calls by former basketball coach Kelvin Sampson's staff.

"We are eager to move forward toward the conclusion of this matter," Oklahoma athletic director Joe Castiglione said in a statement, which the university said contained its only comment on the matter.

Oklahoma claims it did not detect the football players' employment because the players did not complete required forms. The university also claims it was transitioning duties at a time when the NCAA alleges that Oklahoma failed to collect some of its monitoring forms in a timely manner.

"From our perspective, any allegation related to our monitoring activities, no matter how limited, is not warranted," Castiglione said in the statement. "The NCAA does not appear to be contesting the speed of our response or the action that we took.

"I think any school would agree that monitoring practices can always be improved, and we constantly seek to improve our practices, but we also recognize that it was our staff that originally uncovered and reported the violations that had occurred. Upon completing our investigation, the university took action above and beyond what was required under the NCAA rules."

Bomar and Quinn were both dismissed from the program and transferred to Division I-AA schools -- Bomar to Sam Houston State and Quinn to Montana. Bomar was ordered to pay back more than $7,400 in extra benefits to charity, while Quinn was told to pay back more than $8,100.

Oklahoma has also banned athletes from working at the Norman car dealership where Bomar and Quinn were employed until at least the 2008-09 academic year and has moved to prevent the athletes' supervisor at the dealership from being involved with the university's athletics program. The dealership is now under new ownership.

Oklahoma also will reduce the number of football coaches who are allowed to recruit off campus this fall.

Sooners coach Bob Stoops has said the players "knowingly" broke the rules.

"We believe the system worked in this case," Castiglione said. "We have demonstrated our continuing commitment to incorporate industry `best practices.' We will continue to improve our systems -- an action that was actually occurring at the time we uncovered the violations -- and to refine our program. Our message is clear: OU will never compromise its high ethical standards or its integrity.

"While no system can stop all willful and intentionally concealed violations, we will always take appropriate action consistent with both NCAA rules and what we stand for as an institution."

Copyright 2007 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

soonersweetie
2/12/2007, 07:07 PM
Here is the story on ESPN-why I went there is beyond me....makes us sound like we had committed premeditated murder. Ugh, I hate them.

Stoops: players 'knowingly' broke employment rulesAssociated Press

NORMAN, Okla. -- The NCAA alleges Oklahoma failed to adequately monitor the employment of several athletes, including some football players who worked during the academic year.

The NCAA's findings came in an investigation after Oklahoma self-reported violations and dismissed starting quarterback Rhett Bomar and offensive lineman J.D. Quinn in August for taking excess pay from a Norman car dealership where they worked.

Oklahoma disclosed Monday that it had received its notice of allegations from the NCAA and is scheduled to appear before the NCAA's Committee on Infractions on April 14 in Indianapolis.

The NCAA asked athletic director Joe Castiglione and football coach Bob Stoops to attend the meeting, along with compliance officials, general counsel Joseph Harroz and director of football operations Merv Johnson.

Oklahoma also appeared before the committee last April following an investigation into hundreds of improper recruiting phone calls by former basketball coach Kelvin Sampson's staff.

"We are eager to move forward toward the conclusion of this matter," Castiglione said in a statement.

In its notice, the NCAA claims Oklahoma didn't follow its own guidelines when it "did not collect gross earning statements for the 12 football student-athletes who notified the institution of their employment at Big Red during the 2005 summer vacation period ... and as a result the institution did not detect the violations" it self-reported.

Oklahoma claims it did not detect the football players' employment because the players did not complete required forms. The university also claims it was transitioning duties at a time when the NCAA alleges that Oklahoma failed to collect some of its monitoring forms in a timely manner.

The NCAA points out that the failure to monitor occured "despite receiving information that at least one student-athlete worked at Big Red during the academic year."

"From our perspective, any allegation related to our monitoring activities, no matter how limited, is not warranted," Castiglione said in the statement. "The NCAA does not appear to be contesting the speed of our response or the action that we took."

"I think any school would agree that monitoring practices can always be improved, and we constantly seek to improve our practices, but we also recognize that it was our staff that originally uncovered and reported the violations that had occurred. Upon completing our investigation, the university took action above and beyond what was required under the NCAA rules."

Bomar and Quinn were both dismissed from the program and transferred to Division I-AA schools -- Bomar to Sam Houston State and Quinn to Montana. Bomar was ordered to pay back more than $7,400 in extra benefits to charity, while Quinn was told to pay back more than $8,100.

Oklahoma has also banned athletes from working at the Norman car dealership where Bomar and Quinn were employed until at least the 2008-09 academic year and has moved to prevent the athletes' supervisor at the dealership from being involved with the university's athletics program. The dealership is now under new ownership.

Oklahoma also will reduce the number of football coaches who are allowed to recruit off campus this fall.

Stoops has said the players "knowingly" broke the rules.

Copyright 2007 by The Associated Press

Fraggle145
2/12/2007, 07:22 PM

Sounds to me like they (the NCAA) are setting us up to be the fall guy after we failed in the basketball monitorring of phonecalls. Guaranteed we are going to be the big time program to take the fall and in the aftermath they are going to let SUC off the hook. :mad:

AlabamaSooner
2/12/2007, 08:13 PM
"In fact, NCAA President Myles Brand publicly commended OU for the action we took when he discovered the facts in this case"

Crap, Brand said the exact same thing when Bama was under investigation. That could be the kiss of death. "Thanks for doing such a good job and helping us out. Now we're going to hit you hard." Ugh. I sure hope we don't have a bunch of scholarships taken away because after this year's recruiting class, that could hurt BAD.

IronHorseSooner
2/12/2007, 09:20 PM
If we are hit IN ANY MANNER, then President Boren should just throw the "BS" flag and threaten to counter the NCAA with a lawsuit. Something needs to be done about the NCAA. Of course that spineless excuse for a Commissioner will offer no support for us (in fact, he might just celebrate). What sort of legal standing does the NCAA have to enforce its rules? What if President Boren says something like this? "We will comply with these sanctions if and when you punish SUC." I don't understand what the big deal was- when we found out that those two numb-skulls did, they were booted, and they have to repay the money. As well, they distanced themselves from that dealership. Coach Stoops removed these two idiots who were his starting QB and an OL on an already thin O-Line. When this was done, many preseason experts had us in the MNC title game and ranked #1. Why those @$$clowns would believe that we would jeopardize the program by having these guys working there is beyond me? I may be baned for doing this, but I agree with Traber when he says that the NCAA is the worst ruling body since Hitler and the Nazis. :mad: :mad: :mad:

Collier11
2/12/2007, 09:26 PM
Most of you guys seem to be missing the fact that the NCAA is saying that they have found nothing new, that is the key statement. We self-reported and self-sanctioned based on the violations that we found and the NCAA agreed. There is no way they can make that statement and then come back on us. TO me, that is a resounding backing by the ncaa!!! As spineless as they are sometimes, I believe they will get this right. Besides, all of this going down at the suc far outways us because usc is a media darling!!!

MiccoMacey
2/12/2007, 10:00 PM
...but we also recognize that it was our staff that originally uncovered and reported the violations that had occurred...

I thought it was uncovered by someone else (reported by the Aggie girl who worked there and threatened to go public).

Either or, yes, it's great news that they found nothing else.

That means the only thing they can hit us on is for not monitering adequately enough. That's not too bad, considering how extremely difficult it is to monitor kids and jobs (trust me...it's harder than you think).

Fraggle145
2/12/2007, 10:08 PM
That means the only thing they can hit us on is for not monitering adequately enough. That's not too bad, considering how extremely difficult it is to monitor kids and jobs (trust me...it's harder than you think).

Except we already slapped on the wrist for that with the basketball ****. just sayin' :mad:

Seamus
2/12/2007, 10:35 PM

If there is anyway for one organization to give fellatio to another organization, be it physically, symbolically, metaphorically or metaphysically, you will see it happen between the NCAA and the SUC.

Seamus
2/12/2007, 10:37 PM
I thought it was uncovered by someone else (reported by the Aggie girl who worked there and threatened to go public).

Wait a sec -- I think I missed something here. When did they teach verbal communication skills to sheep?

Octavian
2/13/2007, 12:15 AM
From the DMN:

NORMAN, Okla. – Three Oklahoma football players, one more than the university has previously acknowledged, may have accepted money for work they did not perform at a local car dealership, according to an NCAA document disclosed Monday.

OU spokesman Kenny Mossman said Monday night that the NCAA is alleging three players took money they didn't earn.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/colleges/oklahoma/stories/021307dnspoouinfractionslede.19e0a3c.html

Ruuuuuufus
2/13/2007, 12:34 AM
how does it go from finding nothing new to finding a third player?

word is that it could have been Hardison the walkon receiver. I think he was booted around the same time as the other two.

KingDavid
2/13/2007, 12:37 AM
It's unnerving, to say the least. I hope those coaches on the phones with Good, et. al.

Ruuuuuufus
2/13/2007, 01:01 AM
http://www.newsok.com/article/3012387?template=sports/ou

In the notice of allegations, the NCAA enforcement staff charges another player was overpaid by Big Red. Although the name was redacted from documents obtained by The Oklahoman through an open-records request, other sources confirmed it was former walk-on receiver Jermaine Hardison.

Hardison's employment was also investigated by OU and reported to the NCAA last August, but the school concluded it wasn't sure whether he had been overpaid. He was dismissed from the team last August for unspecified reasons.

rainiersooner
2/13/2007, 02:37 AM
The NCAA should be lauding us as the posterboy for self-regulation. This is ridiculous. Stoops should get NCAA member of the year, are you kidding me? As soon as our internal investigation verified the violations his decision was immediate and unequivocal. Judging by what goes on at other schools, I think it's fair to say that if we hadn't blown our own whistle, the NCAA would not even have know it had happened. Jesus!!!

crimsonaudio
2/13/2007, 07:46 AM
Most of you guys seem to be missing the fact that the NCAA is saying that they have found nothing new, that is the key statement. We self-reported and self-sanctioned based on the violations that we found and the NCAA agreed. There is no way they can make that statement and then come back on us. TO me, that is a resounding backing by the ncaa!!! As spineless as they are sometimes, I believe they will get this right. Besides, all of this going down at the suc far outways us because usc is a media darling!!!
They did the exact same thing to Bama a few years ago - praised us for our efforts and self-reporting, found nothing new - then dropped the hammer because we were 'repeat offenders' for self-reporting a minor BBall violation a couple of years before.

I really hope they've changed, because so far this is the exact same song-and-dance we heard. Even up to the day the penalties were announced everyone thought they would sign off on our self-imposed penalties because we were so cooperative and there was no 'lack of institutional control'...

Bama/OU
2/13/2007, 08:16 AM
Meanwhile...over at SUC.....NOTHING !!

Irks the f*ck outta me....

OU_Sooners75
2/13/2007, 09:01 AM
Meanwhile...over at SUC.....NOTHING !!

Irks the f*ck outta me....

The NCAA cannot do anything against the SUC until the court preceedings are finished.

Something to do with a defuncted sports agency being sued or something like that.

Fraggle145
2/13/2007, 09:16 AM
The NCAA cannot do anything against the SUC until the court preceedings are finished.

Something to do with a defuncted sports agency being sued or something like that.

since when has the NCAA ever upheld any laws besides its crazy rules...:rolleyes:

TexasLidig8r
2/13/2007, 09:44 AM

Actually, the Attorney General's office has the offending tapes and other documents in its on-going investigation of the sports agency and its principals for federal criminal violations.

Naturally, the AG's office isn't releasing the information to the NCAA until its investigation, presumed indictment and court cases have been concluded.

OSUAggie
2/13/2007, 09:52 AM
If there is extra cash for a walk-on WR, something is very wrong.

GulfCoastBamaFan
2/13/2007, 10:06 AM
OU appears to have done everything right. They investigated, self-reported and cooperated with the NZAA.

This virtually guarantees that the Kommittee will impose additional sanctions.

JohnnyMack
2/13/2007, 10:07 AM
how does it go from finding nothing new to finding a third player?

word is that it could have been Hardison the walkon receiver. I think he was booted around the same time as the other two.

:les:He was on the grassy knoll!!!!!!!!!!

OSUAggie
2/13/2007, 10:37 AM
OU appears to have done everything right. They investigated, self-reported and cooperated with the NZAA.

This virtually guarantees that the Kommittee will impose additional sanctions.

Everything appears to have been done properly after the violations occured, although that's a relatively big assumption at this point. The only problem is that the compliance office allowed it to happen in the first place. The compliance people aren't supposed to be blind to things like the BRS&I thing. That's the problem in the eyes of the NCAA, the fact that they're dealing with OU (for the second consecutive year) about problems with compliance to their rules.

Tear Down This Wall
2/13/2007, 11:00 AM
I read the DMN article this morning. It made me happy, in a sick sort of way. Joe C.'s turning of the football program into a marketing scheme has made me ill for a few years now. Hopefully, this will get him to quit f'n around on the sidelines like he's sort sort of poor Jerry Jones knock-off and make sure the millions and millions we rake in off the BCS antitrust scheme go toward monitoring the athletes.

Penis wrinkle.

sooner518
2/13/2007, 11:07 AM
not that giving money to the star QB of the team is condoned at all, but why the hell would you give money to some scrub walk-on WR??????

footballfanatic
2/13/2007, 11:09 AM
One theory I heard was that it will cost you two to three scholarships.

jthomas666
2/13/2007, 12:05 PM
It's retarded that the NCAA continues to drag this process out. They could very easily rule on this with the available information. Guh.The NCAA is going to make a big deal about this so they can get away with giving USC a slap on the wrist.

Collier11
2/13/2007, 12:08 PM
They did the exact same thing to Bama a few years ago - praised us for our efforts and self-reporting, found nothing new - then dropped the hammer because we were 'repeat offenders' for self-reporting a minor BBall violation a couple of years before.

I really hope they've changed, because so far this is the exact same song-and-dance we heard. Even up to the day the penalties were announced everyone thought they would sign off on our self-imposed penalties because we were so cooperative and there was no 'lack of institutional control'...

The difference is that Bama coaches knew about it and it was for large amounts of money and our self sanctions were accepted and applauded

crimsonaudio
2/13/2007, 12:12 PM
The difference is that Bama coaches knew about it and it was for large amounts of money and our self sanctions were accepted and applauded
Actually, this is incorrect - the NCAA applauded Alabama's penalties and made it very clear there was nothing the University could have done to stop this (no coaches were aware). Absolutely zero LoIC. This is why we were so stunned by the penalties.

And that is also why this scares me for you guys.

Collier11
2/13/2007, 12:25 PM
Dubose knew about it, it has been proven and gone over time and again. That is one of the many reasons why he was fired!

Bourbon St Sooner
2/13/2007, 12:28 PM
In its notice, the NCAA claims Oklahoma didn't follow its own guidelines when it "did not collect gross earning statements for the 12 football student-athletes who notified the institution of their employment at Big Red during the 2005 summer vacation period ... and as a result the institution did not detect the violations" it self-reported.

Huh? How did we not detect the violations we self-reported?

Scott D
2/13/2007, 01:13 PM
Actually, the Attorney General's office has the offending tapes and other documents in its on-going investigation of the sports agency and its principals for federal criminal violations.

Naturally, the AG's office isn't releasing the information to the NCAA until its investigation, presumed indictment and court cases have been concluded.

somehow that seems similar to something I said in another thread and was dismissed...because clearly the NCAA holds precident over the Federal Government :rolleyes:

AlabamaSooner
2/13/2007, 02:15 PM

HA! Ask Bama fans what happens when that exact same stuff is said. They get you to let your guard down and hits you where it hurts. Everyone at Bama thought things were "cool" after those same statements and then they hammered them. I sure hope it's not a repeat, but don't let your guard down yet though.

JohnnyMack
2/13/2007, 02:28 PM
The key is whether or not they find a smoking gun that links BRS&I to ANYONE working for OU. If they can prove that someone affiliated with the university knew what was going on, we're screwed. If they conclude it was the action of rogue players who were told not to do stuff like this and then did it anyway that's a different story. From what I've seen though, it doesn't seem that they have that smoking gun. What they do have is us dead to rights in is failing to properly monitor the kids.

AlabamaSooner
2/13/2007, 02:37 PM
For what it's worth, just know you've got plenty of support from the Bama Nation right now. They're pulling for ya.

http://tidefans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=55007

TheUnnamedSooner
2/13/2007, 03:18 PM
thanks AS, considering what bama has been through, they aren't as optimistic as we are...

TexasLidig8r
2/13/2007, 03:35 PM
In reading that Bama site, I'm amazed at the number of people who posted, "don't cooperate with the NCAA."

I would imagine there is a NCAA rule requiring universities to cooperate in any investigation.

Even if there wasn't, even without subpoena power, a public universities' documents are available through the use of the Freedom of Information Act. Yes, redaction of student's identities is permitted but overly ambitious redaction, as was recently alleged, results in litigation with a judge deciding what information stays and what goes.

Since the NCAA can obtain the relevant documents through a Freedom of Information Act request to the university, if the school does not cooperate, they would be looking at much greater action/sanctions.

Jerk
2/13/2007, 03:47 PM
What bs.

If we get hammered and usuc gets off scott-free, then I am going to go Postal "in a great way" like Stoops always says.

swardboy
2/13/2007, 03:53 PM
Dubose knew about it, it has been proven and gone over time and again. That is one of the many reasons why he was fired!

Well, the affair with the sexytary didn't help things either...

Stoop Dawg
2/13/2007, 04:05 PM
Everything appears to have been done properly after the violations occured, although that's a relatively big assumption at this point.

Why is that a big assumption? I have yet to year ANYONE say ANYTHING other than "it's been handled correctly" - including the NCAA. In fact, it seems like a pretty safe assumption to me. Unless you possess some information that has not been disclosed to the rest of us. :rolleyes:

The only problem is that the compliance office allowed it to happen in the first place. The compliance people aren't supposed to be blind to things like the BRS&I thing.

Who turned a blind eye? You sound like you came straight out of a Dilbert cartoon - "We need to find and eliminate all infractions - both known and unknown". From what I can tell, the players didn't fill out some paperwork (maybe notifications that they even had jobs? maybe earnings reports? who knows?). Once discovered, the compliance office did the EXACT OPPOSITE of turn a blind eye.

Perhaps you should read up on Eddie Sutton's situation over the last few years for an example of "turning a blind eye".

MojoRisen
2/13/2007, 04:13 PM
The key is whether or not they find a smoking gun that links BRS&I to ANYONE working for OU. If they can prove that someone affiliated with the university knew what was going on, we're screwed. If they conclude it was the action of rogue players who were told not to do stuff like this and then did it anyway that's a different story. From what I've seen though, it doesn't seem that they have that smoking gun. What they do have is us dead to rights in is failing to properly monitor the kids.

Yes but we found out and dismissed the players- they have been reinstated to play this year for other teams. What else do they want- we caught them and dismissed them and turned ourselves in.

Does anyone know who this third player is that they are saying took excess pay? Any validity to this?

colleyvillesooner
2/13/2007, 04:35 PM
Yes but we found out and dismissed the players- they have been reinstated to play this year for other teams. What else do they want- we caught them and dismissed them and turned ourselves in.

Does anyone know who this third player is that they are saying took excess pay? Any validity to this?

It was a walk on WR, who was dismissed as well. From what I understand, he wasn't mentioned as much because OU investigated him and found he wasn't overpaid. The way the NCAA reports that he was.

crimsonaudio
2/13/2007, 05:22 PM
No connection was ever shown between Dubose and Means/Young, or the NCAA would have levied the dreaded LOiC against us.

Dubose was fired because he was in over his head, lost support of the BOT, and went 3-8 after starting the season ranked #3 in the polls...

Collier11
2/13/2007, 05:35 PM
Hmmmm, I thought he was in on it but you probably know more than I do. I remember that year though, Freddie milons was a bad azz and they opened up against ucla I think and got smoked

soonerspudman
2/13/2007, 06:14 PM
Again, to quote Barry "different rules for different people". Just like Bill Clinton used the Microsoft antritrust case to take media attention off of his exploits, the NCAA will do the same to pull the limelight from SC, and the media (read: Disney Machine) will follow along like the lapdogs they are. Folks, this is about money, pure and simple. The NCAA, including the college presidents, along with the networks (again, read: Disney Machine) are hooked on the hundreds of millions of income like crack addicts, and to feed the habit the must, MUST, have success in the large TV markets. Since the Big East has unraveled (at least for now until the made-for-TV Rutgers program is built up), they have no choice but to ensure SC's success in the large and lucrative SoCal market. OU? The TV market size is a rounding error to them. Therefore, expose OU, beat them down, make them pay, then declare college football once again cleansed by the valiant and upstanding NCAA. They know how short people's attention spans are, if they drag the SC matter to infenium, which they're doing now, most will just forget. This has got to stop.

TexasLidig8r
2/13/2007, 06:21 PM
Again, to quote Barry "different rules for different people". Just like Bill Clinton used the Microsoft antritrust case to take media attention off of his exploits, the NCAA will do the same to pull the limelight from SC, and the media (read: Disney Machine) will follow along like the lapdogs they are. Folks, this is about money, pure and simple. The NCAA, including the college presidents, along with the networks (again, read: Disney Machine) are hooked on the hundreds of millions of income like crack addicts, and to feed the habit the must, MUST, have success in the large TV markets. Since the Big East has unraveled (at least for now until the made-for-TV Rutgers program is built up), they have no choice but to ensure SC's success in the large and lucrative SoCal market. OU? The TV market size is a rounding error to them. Therefore, expose OU, beat them down, make them pay, then declare college football once again cleansed by the valiant and upstanding NCAA. They know how short people's attention spans are, if they drag the SC matter to infenium, which they're doing now, most will just forget. This has got to stop.

Look out for those black helicopters around you!!!! :rolleyes:

Jello Biafra
2/13/2007, 06:29 PM

or lawyers facing you with their pants around their ankles......

Jello Biafra
2/13/2007, 06:33 PM
Everything appears to have been done properly after the violations occured, although that's a relatively big assumption at this point. The only problem is that the compliance office allowed it to happen in the first place. The compliance people aren't supposed to be blind to things like the BRS&I thing. That's the problem in the eyes of the NCAA, the fact that they're dealing with OU (for the second consecutive year) about problems with compliance to their rules.

hang on to your **** kickers with both hands big toot.....

your school's problems will be surfacing shortly. hang back and wait before you start commenting on our issues because you'll never know when the story will break on ButtPickenU..........

soonerspudman
2/13/2007, 06:36 PM

Wow, awesome come-back.

TexasLidig8r
2/13/2007, 06:44 PM
Wow, awesome come-back.

That's pretty much the only response which was apropos.

The only thing you did not do is work in the media conspiracy against OU, or how ESPN and SI just hate OU now and how everyone in the whole, wide world is against OU... puleeze...:rolleyes:

arklahoman36
2/13/2007, 06:58 PM
When it rains it pours. From Dennis Dodd at CBS Sports

On Wednesday, Oklahoma recruit Donald Stephenson signed with Stoops from an Office Depot near his Blue Springs, Mo., home.

Office Depot? There was no interest in holding a press conference at Blue Springs High School because Stephenson has been suspended from the school. He termed it "bad luck" after going to a school dance. The school termed it a 10-day suspension.

Elsewhere in Stephenson's life: According to the Kansas City Star, Stephenson was charged in December with multiple counts of burglary of a motor vehicle, theft and criminal damage.

Among the less expensive items taken from a 10-year-old Saturn was a box of caramel bars.

With rival recruiters bringing up the Bomar thing, has OU become that desperate?

soonerspudman
2/13/2007, 06:59 PM
That's pretty much the only response which was apropos.

The only thing you did not do is work in the media conspiracy against OU, or how ESPN and SI just hate OU now and how everyone in the whole, wide world is against OU... puleeze...:rolleyes:

Not just OU, small-market teams in general. I'd love to hear a well thought-out rebuttal, apparently you don't have one. Sleep on it and maybe try again tomorrow.

TheUnnamedSooner
2/13/2007, 07:02 PM
:pop:

Scott D
2/13/2007, 07:11 PM
yeah you all have convinced me...may as well shut down this part of the forum since we're going to get the death penalty :rolleyes:

Rogue
2/13/2007, 07:49 PM
Additionally, the NCAA alleges that the University failed to detect that some football student-athletes were working during the academic year. :confused: :confused: I thought they weren't "working" and that was the problem?

Widescreen
2/13/2007, 08:17 PM
Wow, awesome come-back.
That comes from years of legal training.

CrimsonChampion
2/13/2007, 10:43 PM
All I know is if we get into trouble, OU better take serious action against the ncaa because this could turn out to be some bigtime B.S.

I know all this is probably just procedure and nothing will come of it, but since we ARE OU, nothing is promised so I am kind of expecting the worst.

If we do get punished and nothing happens to the suc condoms, someone will get mooned and egged, promised. If we did get into trouble I wonder how it would sound if we went into a legal battle with the ncaa and said, "hundreds of thousands of dollars paid to suc players vs. less than $20,000 recieved by Oklahoma players." This ofcourse if suc doesn't get punished and we do, which is what will happen, if anything happens at all.

Like I said though, I'm confident nothing is going to happen, but I will not be surprised if we get screwed. Not sure if the nation is ready for Oklahoma to tie up with Notre Dame for national championships......hmmmm conspiracy theory?

SouthCarolinaSooner
2/14/2007, 08:04 AM
Death Penalty
I'm sure it will be while SUC gets a little slap on the wrist:mad:

Big Red Cop
2/14/2007, 09:18 AM
Sorry if it has already been posted:

http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercurynews/sports/16692158.htm

A University of Oklahoma walk-on football player who never saw game action earned about twice as much from a Norman, Okla., auto dealership as Rhett Bomar during roughly the same period in 2005, records show.

Jermaine Hardison, a wide receiver from Midwest City, Okla., was paid for an average of 43 hours a week from late February through mid-May 2005, while school was in session and spring practice was held, the records show. His pay from Big Red Sports/Imports averaged $459 a week over that 12-week period.

Until this week, only two OU players - Bomar, a quarterback from Grand Prairie, Texas, and J.D. Quinn, an offensive lineman from Garland - had been implicated in taking money that they didn't earn from Big Red. Both had been expected to start last season as sophomores before being dismissed from the program on Aug. 2 for taking excessive pay.

NCAA documents released Monday, however, allege that a third player also took money "for work not performed." The player's name is blacked out.

Hardison earned a total of $9,926 through mid-July 2005 and Bomar earned $5,092.30 from late-March through mid-August, according to pay stubs, which were among hundreds of pages of materials obtained by The Dallas Morning News through several open records requests since last August.

Citing student privacy regulations, OU officials blacked out the names of all players identified in hundreds of pages of investigation documents that it released to The News. It also blacked out some information pertaining to the players.

But Hardison's name can be deciphered, along with the names of 14 other OU players, through close examination of some documents. The names include eight players on the 2006 roster.

TheUnnamedSooner
2/14/2007, 09:39 AM
If it is the same document that was realeased awhile back, the 14 names are students that were interviewed/investigated not necessarily doing anything wrong.

Beef
2/14/2007, 09:41 AM
If this is about TV markets, how does Notre Dame have it's own network? I didn't know Indiana was the #1 TV market in the universe.

TheUnnamedSooner
2/14/2007, 09:44 AM
If this is about TV markets, how does Notre Dame have it's own network? I didn't know Indiana was the #1 TV market in the universe.

I think at one point, ND had the highest ratings of any other college across the nation. I'm pretty sure that isn't the case anymore

Tear Down This Wall
2/14/2007, 09:47 AM
Cut the, "Poor us" mentaility, fellow Sooner fans. Our program is big, has plenty of money, and should be monitoring the players better - especially in light of history.

Instead of the ridiculous talk of suing the NCAA, why not demand the the athletic department quit turning every function into a money drive and start paying attention to the athletes. It is the University of Oklahoma, not Oklahoma Football Marketing, LLC.

I said it last August when this thing broke, and I'll continue to say it - the athletic department better regain it's focus and quickly. With all the money the program makes, there is no excuse for what happened. We've got the money and resources to monitor better than the majority of D-I program out there, so shut the fack up and do it.

Beef
2/14/2007, 09:51 AM
I think at one point, ND had the highest ratings of any other college across the nation. I'm pretty sure that isn't the case anymore
I know. I'm just saying that the conspiracies that the NCAA is ignoring USC because of the LA market are ludicrous. Market size of where a school is located is not directly proportional to the school's popularity. OU is one of the most popular football programs around the country. We have fans and people that watch to root against us everywhere.

And as far as what other schools do, I couldn't give a rat's ***. I'm sick of our school coming up in NCAA probes. I don't buy into or care about the "everyone else does it" argument. My donation money goes to OU, not USC. Joe C. needs to get everything under control. I know he can't control how many phone calls :kelvin: made or if all of our players work every hour they're supposed to, but as the AD, he's the one who's ultimately responsible. If he's setting the tone that these things are unacceptable, the message isn't getting through.

crawfish
2/14/2007, 10:10 AM
Me, I'm dismayed that we seem to cheat worse for our unrecruited walk-ons than we do for our five-star quarterbacks. :rolleyes:

OSUAggie
2/14/2007, 10:13 AM
Why is that a big assumption? I have yet to year ANYONE say ANYTHING other than "it's been handled correctly" - including the NCAA. In fact, it seems like a pretty safe assumption to me. Unless you possess some information that has not been disclosed to the rest of us. :rolleyes:

It's a big assumption because the results of the investigation haven't been revealed. Sometimes all of the facts aren't revealed until the investigation is concluded and university officials have a meeting with the infractions committee. I guess that's difficult to understand.

Who turned a blind eye? You sound like you came straight out of a Dilbert cartoon - "We need to find and eliminate all infractions - both known and unknown". From what I can tell, the players didn't fill out some paperwork (maybe notifications that they even had jobs? maybe earnings reports? who knows?). Once discovered, the compliance office did the EXACT OPPOSITE of turn a blind eye.

Perhaps you should read up on Eddie Sutton's situation over the last few years for an example of "turning a blind eye".

The Eddie Sutton situation was turning a blind eye and it ended badly for everyone involved. However, I don't know what that has to do with anything regarding this investigation.

Compliance departments typically steer students in certain directions to find employment. When it is their job to keep players from making these types of mistakes, they should pay better attention to what goes on with these employers. Since there are severe penalties that could come with these types of infractions that could potentially cripple a football program, athletic department or even a university, the compliance department should be a huge priority for any AD. Your compliance people failed you; to what extent remains to be seen.

TheUnnamedSooner
2/14/2007, 10:15 AM
but as the AD, he's the one who's ultimately responsible.

Well, it looks like he is headed to the dilithium mines of the astroid penal colony, rura penthe, to spend the rest of his natural life.

;)

BOOMERBRADLEY
2/14/2007, 10:29 AM
Well, it looks like he is headed to the dilithium mines of the astroid penal colony, rura penthe, to spend the rest of his natural life.

;)

haha, Trekky

crawfish
2/14/2007, 10:34 AM
Me, I'm dismayed that we seem to cheat worse for our unrecruited walk-ons than we do for our five-star quarterbacks. :rolleyes:

To clarify on this: the guy has effectively no parents and must support twin sons, and no pro prospects. I think it's very likely he worked a LOT to take advantage of this situation, and perhaps some of the people at the lot "helped" him. That isn't legal, of course, but a far cry from paying a player to play football.

It certainly doesn't warrant a major front-page article on the Dallas Morning News. :rolleyes:

Sco
2/14/2007, 11:31 AM

Actually, isn't it that the NCAA cannot do anything against the SUC because the NCAA is SUC's b*tch?

Stoop Dawg
2/14/2007, 11:47 AM
It's a big assumption because the results of the investigation haven't been revealed. Sometimes all of the facts aren't revealed until the investigation is concluded and university officials have a meeting with the infractions committee.

Gotcha. Well, if we're gonna play that way, then it's a BIG assumption that there were any violations at all. I'm going with "there was no wrong-doing of any sort whatsoever" until the results of the investigation are revealed. :rolleyes:

The Eddie Sutton situation was turning a blind eye and it ended badly for everyone involved. However, I don't know what that has to do with anything regarding this investigation.

I'll type this slowly so you can comprehend:

I'm not trolling your boards calling out Eddie Sutton for almost killing someone, so why don't you stop trolling ours?

TheUnnamedSooner
2/14/2007, 12:12 PM
I just wanted to say something to the "OU is going to take the fall so they can sweep suc under the rug" theories - Not happening. No way is suc going to get away scott free if we get penalized, there are too many reporters investigating the suc dealio (yahoo). And I don't think they will let it go....

Fraggle145
2/15/2007, 01:37 AM
I just wanted to say something to the "OU is going to take the fall so they can sweep suc under the rug" theories - Not happening. No way is suc going to get away scott free if we get penalized, there are too many reporters investigating the suc dealio (yahoo). And I don't think they will let it go....

you must be one of those "glass half-full" kinda guys... :P

SouthCarolinaSooner
2/15/2007, 08:03 AM
:les:He was on the grassy knoll!!!!!!!!!!
NO! He fired the first shot of the revolution!