PDA

View Full Version : If you people will be really nice

Boarder
2/12/2007, 03:46 PM
I may take a picture of my Daytona 500 tickets and let you see them. :D

Here's the story, a good one.

My next door neighbor who's from Scotland likes to RV. They are on thier annual 2-3 month vacation and one of the things they were doing was going to the Daytona 500. Well, he shows back up at home Saturday. I saw him and asked the deal. Turns out his dad back in Scotland had a stroke and they are flying over there Tuesday. He won't be able to go and asked if I wanted them. I thought a day and checked on flights, etc and decided to go. I'm taking mini-SB who is 3. First flight, second NASCAR race, first Daytona 500. It should be great. We'll be going to the Busch race on Saturday, too. EXCELLENT seats on the front stretch between the pit road entrance and the finish line, up high enough to see the other side of the track.

But that's not the story.

My neighbor told me this about his dad. Last time they went over they had a long talk. He said his dad was 84 and they finished off a bottle of scoth together. He didn't want there to come a time where something happened and he had left anything on the table. His dad may or may not be able to hang on until they get there. He can't eat or take a feeding tube so they're giving him glucose. He told me his dad was a proud ex-military man and would absolutely not want to go out wasting away for months.

So, live your life like my next door neighbor. Don't leave anything unsaid. Be prepared for something to come up. He has great comfort because of it.

Me getting to take my 3 year old to his and my first Daytona 500 and the memories we'll have of that is the very very least of the story to me.

OU4LIFE
2/12/2007, 03:56 PM
**** Off dip****

BlondeSoonerGirl
2/12/2007, 03:58 PM
And you and Boarder Jr will have a great time. And you'll make some good memories.

This post makes my heart warm.

BlondeSoonerGirl
2/12/2007, 03:59 PM
Well. That was ill-timed.

Fugue
2/12/2007, 03:59 PM
heh

NormanPride
2/12/2007, 04:00 PM
What do you do at a NASCAR event? I mean... the cars go around in circles, right? It can be kind of exciting on TV with the announcers talking and the snippets we get to hear from pit crews... But if all I was able to see was one view of the track, it'd be like watching 50 of my friends play with those little cars on electric tracks. No offense to the NASCAR enthusiasts, I just don't get it.

OU4LIFE
2/12/2007, 04:00 PM
:D

soonernation
2/12/2007, 04:01 PM
Me getting to take my 3 year old to his and my first Daytona 500 and the memories we'll have of that is the very very least of the story to me.

Teach him the art of throwing beads at wimmins.

soonernation
2/12/2007, 04:02 PM
What do you do at a NASCAR event? I mean... the cars go around in circles, right? It can be kind of exciting on TV with the announcers talking and the snippets we get to hear from pit crews... But if all I was able to see was one view of the track, it'd be like watching 50 of my friends play with those little cars on electric tracks. No offense to the NASCAR enthusiasts, I just don't get it.

Go once and you will see.

C&CDean
2/12/2007, 04:04 PM

This is what people who've never been to a race say.

I'm not a huge NASCAR guy (I prefer the NHRA), but just go to a race once. No, not at State Fair Speedway (although those can be fun too), I'm talking a big-time NASCAR event in Ft. Worth or Topeka. Or better yet, go to a drag race at Euliss, TX or Topeka. Then, tell me you "just don't get it."

OKLA21FAN
2/12/2007, 04:04 PM
have a great time!

take the shuttle buses when ever avaliable and go to the track website to make sure what you can and cannot bring into the track.

C&CDean
2/12/2007, 04:05 PM
And I know why boarder is bringing mini-me. Chick. Magnet. That kid is cuter than cute. Better than having a puppy.

OKLA21FAN
This is what people who've never been to a race say.

I'm not a huge NASCAR guy (I prefer the NHRA), but just go to a race once. No, not at State Fair Speedway (although those can be fun too), I'm talking a big-time NASCAR event in Ft. Worth or Topeka. Or better yet, go to a drag race at Euliss, TX or Topeka. Then, tell me you "just don't get it."
ummmm, point of order here

don't you mean Ennis, TX?

just thinkin

Boarder
It's night and day difference watching on tv, in a good way. Totally different.

And as far as sitting there, the cool thing to do is to rent (or buy) a scanner. You can listen to the race radio broadcast or the in car radios of the drivers.

Nextel has this new thing that lets you watch in car cameras, real time scoring, and a whole bunch of other stuff. I'll probably rent one of those. They say they're unbelievably awesome.

I'll be teaching him to avoid the degenerates who throw beads at girls. :D

C&CDean
2/12/2007, 04:06 PM
ummmm, point of order here

don't you mean Ennis, TX?

just thinkin

Yeah, that's what I meant. Down south of Dallas.

soonernation
2/12/2007, 04:07 PM

Let me ask you a question. Do you like to tailgate at football games? If you do it's kind of like that when you camp at the track. The main difference is you are doing it for 3-4 days instead of 3-4 hours. The race is just a small part of it. The best part IMO is the camping and hours of partying that go along with it.

Boarder
2/12/2007, 04:07 PM
have a great time!

take the shuttle buses when ever avaliable and go to the track website to make sure what you can and cannot bring into the track.
I also got an RV parking spot from him and a sticker for the car. It's right outside the turn 2 bank. And a fan book with all the rules and stuff. He was very prepared.

OKLA21FAN
2/12/2007, 04:08 PM
Yeah, that's what I meant. Down south of Dallas.
my first evar 'correctly correcting Dean' post!!!!!

wooohooooo this is almost like getting to second base was some girl in junior high!

soonernation
2/12/2007, 04:08 PM
I'll be teaching him to avoid the degenerates who throw beads at girls. :D

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

NormanPride
2/12/2007, 04:09 PM
I have no doubt that the races are awesome. I mean, they always sell out, the tickets are hard to find, and nobody ever gives them up. I just didn't know WHAT was so fun. :D I'd really like to try it. I'm fascinated with all the little things about racing, but I don't know if I have the hick in me to start following it religiously.

C&CDean
2/12/2007, 04:09 PM
my first evar 'correctly correcting Dean' post!!!!!

wooohooooo this is almost like getting to second base was some girl in junior high!

Don't get too excited, cause you're still gonna get thrown out at third.

OU4LIFE
2/12/2007, 04:11 PM
and by "third" he means "near his bunghole".

OKLA21FAN
2/12/2007, 04:11 PM
Don't get too excited, cause you're still gonna get thrown out at third.
i am waiting for the sacrifice bunt.

i think im in trouble

Boarder
2/12/2007, 04:16 PM
I have no doubt that the races are awesome. I mean, they always sell out, the tickets are hard to find, and nobody ever gives them up. I just didn't know WHAT was so fun. :D I'd really like to try it. I'm fascinated with all the little things about racing, but I don't know if I have the hick in me to start following it religiously.
It's just different. Hard to describe. Yes, you see the cars going around and around, but it not the same as following them on the camera. And, it's SUPER loud. And the smell of the track. All the souvenier trucks. All the fans with at least something from a driver on them. It's just cool. Hard to explain until you do it.

And, if I were into that sort of thing still, I can see the appeal of the party stuff. It goes on and on for many days. I went to a Busch race at Texas a few years ago and there was a several hour rain delay. We (me and about 15 other people) sat in the stands up under the awning and talked about racing stuff the whole time. It was a fun time.

NormanPride
2/12/2007, 04:20 PM
I've really liked the ESPN commercials with the drivers in Driver's Ed class. "I'm not getting 2-3 seconds behind anybody..." cracked me up.

Osce0la
2/12/2007, 05:16 PM
What do you do at a football game? I mean...the guys run up and down the field and hit each other...It can be kind of exciting on TV with the announcers talking and the snippets of Erin Andrews...But if I was able to see one view of the field it'd be like wathing my friends play the Playstation. No offense to football fans, I just don't get it...

Ok, I don't believe a word of what I just typed. Really, go to a NASCAR race and you'll understand. I've been to Talladega several times (the track is less than 1 hour from my house) and have worked there as an usher several times (you make about $100 for the weekend and basically all you do is watch the race)...It is a lot of fun hanging out at the track all day. I went to the Texas race once (Dale Jr.'s first Winston Cup/Nextal Cup win) and it was a blast. I'd love to be able to go to either the Daytona 500 or the Bristol night race.

Newbomb Turk
2/12/2007, 05:48 PM
Hope you have fun Boarder.

Boarder
2/17/2007, 11:49 PM
The Busch race was cool. Our tickets are great. The Nextel logo in the grass is right in front of us. The track is big. Very big. And it's chilly here. I can't even go swimming. I could but I'm not because it's cold.

Mongo
2/17/2007, 11:52 PM
All those who bag on NASCAR and who have never been, do not know what they are missing. Have a blast and send pics of drunk chicks doing bad things.:D

1stTimeCaller
2/17/2007, 11:55 PM
And post those pictures.

Boarder
2/18/2007, 12:02 AM
Umm, yeah, crazy as it sounds I'm not going to teach the 3 year old to take (and/or post) pictures of drunk chicks. :D

Actually, there wasn't much drunkness going on today. Maybe because it started at 1:15. With the race being at 3:15 tomorrow I'm sure it will be going great.

I got a lot of "Jeff Gordon the Cheater" talk today. hehe

And, Boris Said needs more merchandise.