PDA

View Full Version : Program Alert! The Police

sooneron
2/12/2007, 02:22 PM
are on VH1 classic right now- playing a set and announcing the tour.

Muufugggin IN

BlondeSoonerGirl
2/12/2007, 02:24 PM
Do...not...toy...with...my...emotions.

sooneron
2/12/2007, 02:34 PM
I am dvr'ing it.

They're playing Can't Stand Losing YOu right now.

greatness

SoonerStormchaser
2/12/2007, 02:41 PM
I'd line up for those tix...

but...

...I'm waiting for Genesis to get stateside first.

KC//CRIMSON
2/12/2007, 02:43 PM
You can read/watch it all right here: http://www.thepolicetour.com/

tbl
2/12/2007, 02:45 PM
Police = overrated

Flame away...
:pop:

BlondeSoonerGirl
2/12/2007, 02:54 PM
Oh, man...this is awesome.

crawfish
2/12/2007, 02:59 PM
Police = overrated

Flame away...

I think your lack of good taste flames itself. :D

BlondeSoonerGirl
2/12/2007, 03:00 PM
Police = overrated

Flame away...

I am too excited to give you the rock wedgie you deserve.

Stay right there...I'll be back...

Fugue
2/12/2007, 03:02 PM
http://www.chlforums.com/images/smiles/wedgie.gif

Mjcpr
2/12/2007, 03:07 PM
http://www.chlforums.com/images/smiles/wedgie.gif

I think that one's yours so you're okay.

Fugue
2/12/2007, 03:10 PM
http://forum.gamestar.de/gspinboard/images/smilies/atomrofl.gif

Hatfield
2/12/2007, 03:12 PM
looks like they are coming to dallas at the american airlines cente.

ticket breakdown is 50, 90, and holy mary mother of god 225 ouch

C&CDean
2/12/2007, 03:18 PM
Sting solo > The Police

My favorite "Police moment" was when Eddie Murphy was singing Roxanne while listening to his headphones in the flick with Nick Nolte (dang I can't remember **** anymore).

Viking Kitten
2/12/2007, 03:21 PM
Dallas, June 26.

BIRTHDAY ROAD TRIP! This completely rocks.

One of the first concerts I ever went to was Sting at the Myriad in 1985 for the "Dream of the Blue Turtles" tour. Holy crap. I'll never forget it. He did a slowed-down version of "Message in a Bottle" that left people in tears. He is incredible live. The Police are responsible for a few of my all-time favorite songs... Synchronicity II? Oh hell yes.

Overrated my ***.

Viking Kitten
2/12/2007, 03:24 PM
Sting solo > The Police

My favorite "Police moment" was when Eddie Murphy was singing Roxanne while listening to his headphones in the flick with Nick Nolte (dang I can't remember **** anymore).

Wait... did Dean just say he liked something post-1979? WHO ARE YOU AND WHAT HAVE YOU DONE WITH DEAN???

C&CDean
2/12/2007, 03:40 PM
Wait... did Dean just say he liked something post-1979? WHO ARE YOU AND WHAT HAVE YOU DONE WITH DEAN???

I like good music - regardless of when it was made. Can I help it if the good music faucet has been shut down to an occasional "drip" since 1979?

KABOOKIE
2/12/2007, 03:45 PM
Another 48 Hours.....

Anyway I reckon these Police are in the 0.03%

tbl
2/12/2007, 04:33 PM
I'm not saying the Police aren't a good band. I think they are good and have some great, great songs. I'm just saying they're not that great. It's not like Pink Floyd or Zeppelin are getting back together.

sooneron
2/12/2007, 04:53 PM
Meh whatever tbl. I'll be sure to line up for the zepp reunion in my suede fringe rawker boots.

sooneron
2/12/2007, 04:56 PM
Only 2 shows at the gahdun? I predict 4 or 5.

C&CDean
2/12/2007, 04:57 PM
Meh whatever tbl. I'll be sure to line up for the zepp reunion in my suede fringe rawker boots.

Dude, unless John Bonham has Jesus-like skills, it can't happen.

And seriously, you can't put The Police in the same echelon as Zeppelin. It'd be like that other thread where somebody was trying to say some garage band was better than The Beatles.

Of course tbl must not have been paying attention on that day.

sooneron
2/12/2007, 05:05 PM
Dude, unless John Bonham has Jesus-like skills, it can't happen.

And seriously, you can't put The Police in the same echelon as Zeppelin. It'd be like that other thread where somebody was trying to say some garage band was better than The Beatles.

Of course tbl must not have been paying attention on that day.
They're totally different bands that had their affect of future groups. It's apples and oranges. One is a hard rock band, one was a reggae/punk band. I was merely pointing out that the propensity of goofy mullet boots with the fringe would be highly more prevalent at one show than the other...

C&CDean
2/12/2007, 05:07 PM
They're totally different bands that had their affect of future groups. It's apples and oranges. One is a hard rock band, one was a reggae/punk band. I was merely pointing out that the propensity of goofy mullet boots with the fringe would be highly more prevalent at one show than the other...

Dude, I'm a Zeppelin-era child, and I've never had a mullet or wore those "Geronimo moccasins" in my whole life.

I like both groups, and you're right, peaches and pomegranites.

sooneron
2/12/2007, 05:14 PM
Oh, and tbl must fancy himself as the fun police or something.

"What's going on in here, mmkay? Oh, you're excited about The Police re-uniting for a tour? Well, don't be too happy, it's not like it's Zepplin or Floyd, mmkay? Cuz that would really rock, those were great bands, unlike Sting and the boys, mmkay?"

C&CDean
2/12/2007, 05:16 PM
Oh, and tbl must fancy himself as the fun police or something.

"What's going on in here, mmkay? Oh, you're excited about The Police re-uniting for a tour? Well, don't be too happy, it's not like it's Zepplin or Floyd, mmkay? Cuz that would really rock, those were great bands, unlike Sting and the boys, mmkay?"

jk?

GottaHavePride
2/12/2007, 05:45 PM
I thought Pink Floyd sucked.

tbl
2/12/2007, 06:14 PM
I'm just saying I don't get the fascination with the Police. I acknowledge they're a good band, but I've never seen them as one of those bands that should be able to generate a cult-like following (even though there are plenty of people out there that refute my opinion).

It's just an opinion, holmes. No need to get upset.

tbl
2/12/2007, 06:21 PM

That's kinda my point. I know people that put the Police right up there with LZ & the Beatles, and it seems there are people here that are of the same opinion. I can personally think of a lot of bands that I'd put ahead of the Police (though I guess I need to keep repeating that I do like the Police).

SoonerInKCMO
2/12/2007, 06:21 PM
I'm just saying I don't get the fascination with the Police. I acknowledge they're a good band, but I've never seen them as one of those bands that should be able to generate a cult-like following (even though there are plenty of people out there that refute my opinion).

It's just an opinion, holmes. No need to get upset.

Don't worry - these inbred hillbillies are just afraid of the truth.

The Police = good but not great.

I seriously don't understand what the big hubbub is about. Sting's voice isn't all that great; it annoys me but I can see that some people might like it. But technically, it isn't anything special - not an exceptional range or power or anything else. Copeland's drumming skillz are pretty good but the guitar riffs and bass lines are nothing to write home about. The complexity of their arrangements doesn't seem all that great. The lyrics aren't all that literate or poetic. The songs don't rawk. They just provoke a great big 'meh' from me.

You people are weird. :confused:

proud gonzo
2/12/2007, 06:27 PM
Overrated my ***.wait, your *** is overrated? :confused:

sooneron
2/12/2007, 09:56 PM
Don't worry - these inbred hillbillies are just afraid of the truth.

Coming from KC to me, that's cute.

The Police = good but not great.

Thanks for settling that for us, Mr End-all be-all.

I seriously don't understand what the big hubbub is about. Sting's voice isn't all that great; it annoys me but I can see that some people might like it. But technically, it isn't anything special - not an exceptional range or power or anything else.
This may be one of the dumbest arguments when discussing Rock music. I guess everyone should be Plant, Mercury or the like.

Copeland's drumming skillz are pretty good
Totally disagree, he's really solid.

but the guitar riffs and bass lines are nothing to write home about.
Why do you hate the Ramones? They were a Punk/Reggae influenced band. Let me know when either of these genres has Steve Vai - like riffs. If that's all you like, so be it.

The complexity of their arrangements doesn't seem all that great. The lyrics aren't all that literate or poetic. The songs don't rawk. They just provoke a great big 'meh' from me.

You people are weird. :confused:

I got nuthin for this, but maybe you may want to go back and actually listen to some of their songs whilst reading the lyrics. Try to avoid the "hits" that must have been crammed down your throat...

You're right, this sucks-

Upon a secret journey
I met a holy man
His blindness was his wisdom
Im such a lonely man

And as the world was turning
It rolled itself in pain
This does not seem to touch you
He pointed to the rain

You will see light in the darkness
You will make some sense of this
And when youve made your secret journey
You will find the love you miss

And on the days that followed
I listened to his words
I strained to understand him
I chased his thoughts like birds

You will find the love you miss

You will see joy in this sadness
You will find this love you miss

You will be a holy man

Were you one of the SO peeps that decreed the beginning of great alt with the release of disintegration? That could 'splain a lot.

SoonerGirl06
2/12/2007, 10:04 PM
I'd line up for those tix...

but...

...I'm waiting for Genesis to get stateside first.

I saw Genesis several years back and I wasn't all that impressed with their concert.... I was quite disappointed for the amount of money we spent on tickets.

SoonerInKCMO
2/12/2007, 10:07 PM
Were you one of the SO peeps that decreed the beginning of great alt with the release of disintegration? That could 'splain a lot.

I don't even know what you're saying there. :confused:

And my list of 'faults' of the band doesn't prevent them from being a good band - or even mean that I don't think they are good. I don't think a band has to have all or even any of those qualities to be good and enjoyable. I was just refuting various criteria that several people have given me over the last few days to explain why they're awesome. People have lauded their "never before heard complex arrangements" and "virtuoso musicianship" and "Sting's exquisite voice"... and I'm just saying I don't understand why people say all those things when they don't appear to me to be true. :shrug:

I can appreciate a band with simplistic arrangements and mediocre musicianship and sophomoric lyrics and fronted by a singer with a shriekish voice - hey, I went to a W.A.S.P. concert back in the day. Just don't try to take a band that's average to pretty good in any of those areas and try to tell me they're the awesomest band evah because they're excellent in those areas.

I'll grant you that I could be off base on the quality of their lyrics - the ones you posted are a lot better than what they've had in their biggest hits.

SoonerGirl06
2/12/2007, 10:10 PM
I'd line up to see The Police only because I love the Synchronicity album and to hear them play those songs live would be great.

sooneron
2/12/2007, 10:14 PM
Basically, I was saying that disintegration being coined best evar was goofy. Don't know if you involved or not.

I have never lauded them for being the most accomplished musicians. However, some of Copeland's movie scoring has been excellent (Rumble Fish RMFFO).As far as arrangements, Ghost In the Machine was really textured IMO. There were some great arrangements. Before that, they were an admittedly ( by themselves somewhere) tight playing garage band that made some great tunes and albums.

I liked them b/c they scored hug with Zenyatta and then went on to push things further with Ghost.

And I do not think exquisite when I hear Sting's voice. But for some reason, it fits.

sooneron
2/12/2007, 10:16 PM
Oh, and Next To You, and Driven To Tears do truly Rawk.

SoonerInKCMO
2/12/2007, 10:18 PM
Oh, and Next To You, and Driven To Tears do truly Rawk.

I just listened to those on iTunes and you're wrong. ;)

SoonerGirl06
2/12/2007, 10:20 PM
I love it when two boys sqabble over music. It's just soooo cute!

SoonerInKCMO
2/12/2007, 10:22 PM
I love it when two boys sqabble over music. It's just soooo cute!

Which one of us are you hitting on? :confused:

SoonerGirl06
2/12/2007, 10:24 PM
Which one of us are you hitting on? :confused:

I'd spek ya... but I've gotta spread some reputation around... :D

sooneron
2/12/2007, 10:24 PM
I'd line up to see The Police only because I love the Synchronicity album and to hear them play those songs live would be great.
For me, that was like Van Halen's 1984. It felt a little too commercial. There were some great songs on it, no doubt, but I knew the end was nigh before Live Aid. They had gotten too big.

Wrapped Around Your Finger will always cement my first drive-in memory. It was a double date. I can still remember the VERY few songs on the driver's tape- Little Red Corvette, Let's Dance, Wrapped Around Your Finger, and ugh Too Shy. That tape deck had auto reverse. I must have heard those same four songs 50 times that night.

Beef
2/12/2007, 10:27 PM
**** I'm in for the Dallas show. The second concert I ever saw was the Police on the Synchronicity tour. I guess I was in 6th or 7th grade. Unbelievable show. I can't wait to see them again.

And I could care less what others think. They do to me what music should do. Brings back the most vivid memories of an awesome time.

SoonerGirl06
2/12/2007, 10:29 PM
For me, that was like Van Halen's 1984. It felt a little too commercial. There were some great songs on it, no doubt, but I knew the end was nigh before Live Aid. They had gotten too big.

Wrapped Around Your Finger will always cement my first drive in memory.

1984 was much more commercial than Synchronicity. For it's time Synchronicity was like no other... IMO... now, don't go spastic on me just because I don't agree with ya... ;)

PS: Why'd ya have to go and ruin an otherwise perfectly good evening by bringing back memories of David Lee Roth in spandex?!?!?! Yikes! There's just not enough alcohol to get that picture out of my head.... :D

KC//CRIMSON
2/12/2007, 10:31 PM
This is the shiznit - http://hypem.com/track/235426

Crank.Listen.Enjoy.

SoonerGirl06
2/12/2007, 10:31 PM
And I could care less what others think. They do to me what music should do. Brings back the most vivid memories of an awesome time.

I couldn't agree more.

tbl
2/12/2007, 10:38 PM
I couldn't agree more.
I think that's a big part of the Police mystique. Most of the die hards were teens in the late 70's/early 80's. Since I wasn't, I can just say they're a pretty good band that wrote some good songs. They are most definitely not a band that I listen to and am in awe over how good they are. I reserve that for the Beatles, Zep, Pixies, Radiohead, and some others that are not the Police.

However, Copeland is a phenomenal drummer.

sooneron
2/13/2007, 09:15 AM
1984 was much more commercial than Synchronicity. For it's time Synchronicity was like no other... IMO... now, don't go spastic on me just because I don't agree with ya... ;)

PS: Why'd ya have to go and ruin an otherwise perfectly good evening by bringing back memories of David Lee Roth in spandex?!?!?! Yikes! There's just not enough alcohol to get that picture out of my head.... :D
I'm not sure if KJ 103 could have played Every Breath You Take more than they did in 83.
The sound of the album was more "produced" than the previous. It was definitely a more slick album. That's why I equate it with being more commercial.

sooneron
2/13/2007, 09:17 AM
However, Copeland is a phenomenal drummer.
Those tamas are so tiny!!!!

http://www.drummerworld.com/pics/drum/dpa38/stewart-copeland.jpg

Oops, also forgot to mention for those that missed the presser, The Police will be the only people on stage. Three of them, that's it. No horns, no back up yainches, 3 guys, that is all.

tbl
2/13/2007, 09:41 AM
He's an aggressive drummer too. When they went into the R&R HOF he busted his snare head wide open.

sooneron
8/2/2007, 12:14 PM
Well, saw them last night at the gahden, the show really roxxed. Sting was better than I had expected by a great deal, Copeland is still one of the great percussionists of Rock- he was incredible and Andy played magnificently. It was an incredible show. The only weak part was Don't Stand So Close To Me - I hated the arrangement - weak sauce.
I wish the crowd had been better- that's what happens when it is largely made up of brokers and the like trying to impress a client or whatever. The set was cool as were the lights and big screens. Sting didn't even get preachy. It was like a trip down memory lane.

Set: Message in a Bottle, Synchronicity II, Walking On The Moon, Voices Inside My Head > When The World Is Running Down, Don’t Stand So Close To Me, Driven To Tears, Truth Hits Everybody, Bed’s Too Big Without You, Every Little Thing She Does Is Magic, Wrapped Around Your Finger, De Do Do Do De Da Da Da
Invisible Sun, Walking In Your Footsteps, Can’t Stand Losing You, Roxanne

Encore 1: King Of Pain, So Lonely, Every Breath You Take
Encore 2: Next To You

Next To You was awesome as was Can't Stand Losing You and Message In A Bottle.