PDA

View Full Version : Another reason to avoid Dallas County - more criminals on the street

Tear Down This Wall
2/12/2007, 10:36 AM
Last week, the newly elected D.A., a Democrat, and 40 new Democratic judges began to make good on their plan to ease "overcrowding" at the Dallas County jail. Their genius plan, which swayed minority voters, was to release "low level" felons. Last week, 173 were released. One judge said she'd be working on getting about 20 a day out.

Dallas already leads the nation in crime, but the numbers had been dropping over the past few years. See, the last D.A. stopped letting out "low level" felons. In doing so, the crime rate began to inch downward in Dallas County.

But, the prisons got "overcrowded" and the city council, notorious for doing nothing when there's actually a problem, never stepped up to fund an overhaul. So, now, the problem is gone. The city council doesn' have to do anything now because the new D.A. and judges are just going to let "low level" felons who can't make bail simply walk out and trust them to appear again on some future court date.

Those of you in the DFW area, if you haven't moved to Collin or Denton County yet to escape the stupidity of the Dallas City Council, you've now got another reason - your own safety.

fadada1
2/12/2007, 10:40 AM
maybe when castro goes to smoke the big cigar in the sky, we can buy cuba and turn it into some kind of modern-day australia... or have it become like that movie with ray liotta.

Tear Down This Wall
2/12/2007, 10:46 AM
Agreed. Although, it should really be rightfully returned to the Cubans in Florida.

Meanwhile, Dallas sinks further into "We're emulating Detroit" mode. Growing up in Dallas County, it used to make me sad, maybe for nostalgia's sake. Now, I could care less. The only thing worth a damn in Dallas County anymore is Pietro's Italian Ristorante. Everything else is going down in flames...as the city council watches and fiddles.

Hatfield
2/12/2007, 10:46 AM
before getting too worked up I would like to know what "low level" felonies are eligible for release.

and to be clear they aren't letting them go, they still have to appear before the court and go through the normal motions of a trial, etc.

fadada1
2/12/2007, 10:49 AM
and to be clear they aren't letting them go, they still have to appear before the court and go through the normal motions of a trial, etc.
i think that's the problem (the way i read it). they aren't appearing in court. and why would they if there are no consequences.

Hatfield
2/12/2007, 10:52 AM
from what i take from tdtw's post is that it really is working like this.

you get arrested.
normally you sit in jail until your trial if you can't make bail.
this new "plan" lets those that can't make bail out on their own recognizance or some other plan.

they still have to conduct themselves like anyone else out on bail.

this isn't just turning them loose.

Tear Down This Wall
2/12/2007, 10:53 AM
"low level" = burglars, drug users/runners, and prostitutes.

Also, in order to release more, some who were given felony charges due to multiple charges are getting the charges than added up to felony dropped. These included those who already have a long criminal list.

This plan will blow up in the city's face eventually. Last week was just the beginning point. Today, 173 more criminals are on the streets than there were last week. Each day, more are released.

It's going to come down to this D.A. and these new judges only holding murderers, drug traffickers, and child molester. Apparently, their mindset is that "low level" felons don't turn into "high level" felons. It'll be mildly interesting to watch it all develop over the next couple of years...as my family rests safely in Collin County!

Hatfield
2/12/2007, 11:00 AM
and to be fair this isn't just the democratic da and judges acting on this. I am sure it is a concerted effort with the sheriff. da, judges, etc.

Overcrowding is a real issue and a huge liability. So it is good that they are being proactive on the issue.

and i doubt their crimes are being dropped, more likely the charges are being reduced.

Tear Down This Wall
2/12/2007, 11:09 AM
Yes, well, the sheriff in Dallas County...nevermind. She's basically a figurehead.

It's just sufficient to know that the new D.A. and judges believe burglars, who commit crimes against you without your solicitation, are in the same category as prostitutes. Prostitutes don't normally go house to house selling their ware. Burglars simply work where they please without concern about whether they're hitting a house or a place of business.

The drug addicted and drug running pawns make the streets their home. So, they can now re-infest the streets of Dallas again, either begging or stealing to get their fixes, or solidifying one gang's drug running over another.

It really is quite stupid. But, there's an old saying that goes "give the people what they want." The voters of Dallas County wanted Democrats as top law enforcement officials, so they get what they deserve.

We simply try to get to Pietro's when it opens so we don't have to be in Dallas County past sundown.

Jerk
2/12/2007, 11:11 AM
Throw all of the non-voilent drug users OUT of jail (and hopefully into some sort of rehab) and keep the thugs in.

Bammo, problem solved. You're welcome.

Okla-homey
2/12/2007, 11:37 AM
Throw all of the non-voilent drug users OUT of jail (and hopefully into some sort of rehab) and keep the thugs in.

Bammo, problem solved. You're welcome.

here here.

People who only use dope and do not engage in its interstate trafficking should get a pass. Seriously. Locking them up does nothing to fix the problem.

jk the sooner fan
2/12/2007, 12:14 PM
right, because dallas county felons NEVER travel across county lines into collin county

i was under the impression that the overcrowding release problem stems from a federally mandated order to fix the problem or face fines, etc

yermom
2/12/2007, 12:19 PM
if they guys in jail don't like the conditions, maybe they should try harder to not be there

TexasLidig8r
2/12/2007, 12:28 PM
The more reputable burglars go to respectable places like Plano and McKinney to commit their crimes. :D

SoonerStormchaser
2/12/2007, 12:32 PM
And then Lid defends them with his AWESOME bowtie!

BeetDigger
2/12/2007, 12:33 PM
Our vehicles and homes are full of more valuable stuff. Thanks Dallas.

Widescreen
2/12/2007, 12:39 PM
here here.

People who only use dope and do not engage in its interstate trafficking should get a pass. Seriously. Locking them up does nothing to fix the problem.
The problem is that a lot of people who use dope commit crimes to get money to buy more dope. So letting them out is only marginally better than letting those out who commit some other kind of felony. In some cases, they're one and the same - it's just that they got caught robbing to fund their habit than actually doing the drugs.

Tear Down This Wall
2/12/2007, 01:08 PM
The problem is that a lot of people who use dope commit crimes to get money to buy more dope. So letting them out is only marginally better than letting those out who commit some other kind of felony. In some cases, they're one and the same - it's just that they got caught robbing to fund their habit than actually doing the drugs.

And here we have it...a post by someone with a brain in their head.

The people sitting in the Dallas County jailhouse on drug charges aren't white, middle class kids wearing a polo shirt who rebelled against mom and dad. They're largely homeless addicted from South Dallas. When they are released, they'll be on the streets again. If they didn't have money to make bail, riddle me this Batman, how will they have money to do something as monumental as pay rent, or at minimum rent a motel room for the night?

Theft. Burglary. Robbery.

Look, there's no great mystery to what is happening. Dallas is completing its transition into worthlessness. It began in 1989 when they voted on the 14-1 city government system. In 2004, a sheriff who can barely put one foot in front of the other was elected. In 2006, the courts were taken by those don't face reality about criminal activity.

By the way, because the aforementioned burglars don't have the cash to post bail, I highly doubt they possess transportation enough to drive into Denton and Collin County. They'll amble the streets of Dallas like they did before they were picked up to begin with.

It's a sad, stupid cycle, but now one heartily endorsed by Dallas County's new sheriff, D.A., and judges.

Okla-homey
2/12/2007, 01:15 PM
And here we have it...a post by someone with a brain in their head.

The people sitting in the Dallas County jailhouse on drug charges aren't white, middle class kids wearing a polo shirt who rebelled against mom and dad. They're largely homeless addicted from South Dallas. When they are released, they'll be on the streets again. If they didn't have money to make bail, riddle me this Batman, how will they have money to do something as monumental as pay rent, or at minimum rent a motel room for the night?

Theft. Burglary. Robbery.

Look, there's no great mystery to what is happening. Dallas is completing its transition into worthlessness. It began in 1989 when they voted on the 14-1 city government system. In 2004, a sheriff who can barely put one foot in front of the other was elected. In 2006, the courts were taken by those don't face reality about criminal activity.

By the way, because the aforementioned burglars don't have the cash to post bail, I highly doubt they possess transportation enough to drive into Denton and Collin County. They'll amble the streets of Dallas like they did before they were picked up to begin with.

It's a sad, stupid cycle, but now one heartily endorsed by Dallas County's new sheriff, D.A., and judges.

But if dope was de-criminalized, you could buy it legally, and much cheaper. See, its a circular thingy. Because its illegal, its expensive. Because people get locked-up for doing it, they get incorporated into the shady lifestyle and say to themselves, WTF? I already have a record, scru this. I'm gonna burglarize and what not to feed my habit.

Alternatively, legal dope, or at least real rehab for addicts is a lot cheaper for all of us in the long run.

Prohibition of vice has failed everywhere it has been tried.

OKLA21FAN
2/12/2007, 01:20 PM
Put up a big ole razor wire fence and house these dudes at the Cotton Bowl. (couldn't be much better than jail though)

kind of escape from New Yorkish ;)

Tear Down This Wall
2/12/2007, 01:26 PM
But if dope was de-criminalized, you could buy it legally, and much cheaper. See, its a circular thingy. Because its illegal, its expensive. Because people get locked-up for doing it, they get incorporated into the shady lifestyle and say to themselves, WTF? I already have a record, scru this. I'm gonna burglarize and what not to feed my habit.

Alternatively, legal dope, or at least real rehab for addicts is a lot cheaper for all of us in the long run.

Prohibition of vice has failed everywhere it has been tried.

Yes, and then drug-addicted people could simply wander through the streets constantly. Great plan.

I also like this plan because it always ignores the fact that, like alcohol, dope is a depresant, thereby slowing down reaction time. And, gee, we don't already have enough drunk driving accidents and deaths in America. Throw in some dope to really make the streets an adventure.

Amazing.

Let's just go all they way down the slippery slope, shall we? Why not cocaine, too? And, really, what's the harm in a little meth? I mean, other than addiction.

Hey, people who slowly blow their brains out with dope, coke, and meth are just like you and me, right? They're good people, just addicted, right? Surely they'll keep following all other laws once drug laws are removed from the books.

And, I'm sure whatever their drug of choice makes them better drivers, parents, workers....

Spare me the libertarian crap, please. The world doesn't exist in a vacuum.

jk the sooner fan
2/12/2007, 01:44 PM
i'm so glad you feel safer in collin county

the thugs from dallas never travel up that way........ever

Hatfield
2/12/2007, 01:49 PM
it really is sad that you are blaming this solely on democrats.

the problem is bigger than parties.

overcrowding is the issue and whoever is in charge now is who inherited the problem, and now they have to do something. I am curious if they are acting in response to a federal mandate...because that would make your belly aching about democrats that much more laughable.*

I am not saying you shouldn't be mad at the situation, but the reality of the situation you have outlined is not near as dire as you make out. Jails are meant to house pretrial detainees. If you are just "bailing" out some folks before their trial you are freeing up necessary space that you really need without relieving the criminals of their responsibilities.

Does it suck that you have to do it? sure, but at this point it really is all that is left available. Prison systems across the country are overcrowded and sometimes we have to deal with the situation we are in and try to find solutions and way to get to the one we hope to be in.

*and i did just read an article that says the politicians and judges are acting under threat of a federal suit.

TheUnnamedSooner
2/12/2007, 01:59 PM
i'm so glad you feel safer in collin county

the thugs from dallas never travel up that way........ever

I live in Collin county and feel SO much safer. Especially since they put up that thug net at the county lines ;)

Widescreen
2/12/2007, 02:11 PM
I actually DO feel safer living in Collin than I would in Dallas.

jk the sooner fan
2/12/2007, 02:16 PM
i live in denton county, we have a checkpoint at the county line that we have to go thru to get home ;)

Tear Down This Wall
2/12/2007, 02:26 PM
Hatfield,
The point of contention between you and I appears to be philosophical. You have some fantasyland dream that these people sitting in jails were just law-abiding folk who got caught smoking a joint or just shoplifting. If you've ever been down to the courthouse and seen the people they're talking about, you know well that's not the case. These are largely homeless, indigent, addicted people. Now, they are being released back onto the street. It's stupid, and it just began last week. The fruit such policy ultimately bears will be rotten.

To the others,
Compare the crime rate in Dallas County to Collin and Denton Counties. These aimless burglars and drug addicts the new Dallas law enforcement set are freeing aren't going to be walking 20 or 30 miles or more into the northern exurbs of Dallas.

Reality is now. Dallas has been drifting for the better part of a decade, and is now circling the drain. If the suburban and exurban areas didn't have lower crime rates and better schools, people wouldn't be flocking there. And, they are doing so for good reason. Let Dallas continue to eat itself.

jk the sooner fan
2/12/2007, 02:32 PM
i knew what you were getting at....i was just poking fun at your argument

besides, who the hell lives in dallas anymore?

OKLA21FAN
2/12/2007, 02:37 PM

South Dallas is not so bad (South Dallas County that is)

more bang for your buck, and less traffic. The Desoto/Cider Hill area is a great place to live

rule of thumb to me, for the DFW area is: living 'inside the island' where I-20 lies to the south, Loop 12 to the west and 635 to the north and east is probably not the best of ideas for the homested!

Jerk
2/12/2007, 02:38 PM
Yes, and then drug-addicted people could simply wander through the streets constantly. Great plan.

I also like this plan because it always ignores the fact that, like alcohol, dope is a depresant, thereby slowing down reaction time. And, gee, we don't already have enough drunk driving accidents and deaths in America. Throw in some dope to really make the streets an adventure.

Amazing.

Let's just go all they way down the slippery slope, shall we? Why not cocaine, too? And, really, what's the harm in a little meth? I mean, other than addiction.

Hey, people who slowly blow their brains out with dope, coke, and meth are just like you and me, right? They're good people, just addicted, right? Surely they'll keep following all other laws once drug laws are removed from the books.

And, I'm sure whatever their drug of choice makes them better drivers, parents, workers....

Spare me the libertarian crap, please. The world doesn't exist in a vacuum.

It was female post-menapausal do-gooders who pushed for Prohibition (gee, that worked well, didn't it!) and now they're going after guns. Anytime something in demand is banned, it is replaced by a black market. Why not regulate and tax all drugs? That way, at least the profits don't go to a bunch of thugs, gangs, mexican cartels, columbian drug lords, and police departments.

The War on Drugs is making alot of money for alot of different entities, and giving more excuse for big government and less freedom. There's alot more to this than it seems, and if you don't believe it, look at what happened to BP Agents Ramos and Compean. Some people in .gov are obviously being bribed to keep the flow coming in. And with billionaire drug lords, they certainly have the cash to spread around.

jk the sooner fan
2/12/2007, 02:39 PM
it really depends on where you work and what kind of commute you want to deal with

TexasLidig8r
2/12/2007, 02:39 PM

ahem...

Bastadge!!! ;)

Dang Wall.. who peed in your Wheaties this morning?

After all, it's not like we could have anticipated this rise in criminals since we haven't built a new criminal courthouse or jail facility in decades and decades and decades and .. oh wait... there's one less than 10 years old.

As for the 14 - 1 plan, actually, an 8 - 3 - 1 plan was approved by the then old city council and the voters of Dallas County. That plan was actually thrown out by, and the 14 - 1 plan drawn up by..

Federal District Court Judge Jerry Buchmeyer.

Dallas does have a "no can do" attitude... Divisiveness and personal district fiefdoms dominate politics.. perhaps more like Chicago than Detroit. Dallas has lost its schools (if you're anglo and live in Dallas proper, your kids attend private schools).

Dallas lost the Cowboys and ****ed up a rope when we had a chance to get them back.

The future does not look so incredibly promising.

Jerk
2/12/2007, 02:46 PM
92 year old woman killed in "War on Drugs (http://www.wsbtv.com/news/10374909/detail.html)

OKLA21FAN
2/12/2007, 02:48 PM
it really depends on where you work and what kind of commute you want to deal with
and oh yeah

Tulsa > OKC ;)

jk the sooner fan
2/12/2007, 02:51 PM
lid lives in highland park, that isnt dallas ;)

Hatfield
2/12/2007, 03:19 PM
i wouldn't say it is philosophical at all. While you accuse me of living in fantasy land it is clear your land is way to black and white...my bigger issue with you on this point is that you seem to want to blame dems for this.

however, my point is largely, at the end of the day what do you do to remedy the overcrowding of the jail. Something has to be done. Ideally new facilities are built, but cities, counties etc. aren't willing to take on that necessary expense so you are left with coming up with alternatives.

In this case they have been threatened with federal action unless they get the conditions under control. Their backs seem to be up against the wall and very few remedies are available to them. So you line up the nonviolent lesser felonies and let them out as if they had been bailed out.

Do I like that? Not really, but what else are you going to do? The problem has to be fixed, and this is one of the only ways to fix it available.

and for the record, i never insinuated what you attributed to me. (re: shoplifting/dope smoking).

BeetDigger
2/12/2007, 03:22 PM
Lid doesn't live in Dallas, or Highland Park for that matter. He lives in some Yankee Candle fantasy land. :D

bluedogok
2/12/2007, 10:47 PM
The root of Dallas's problem is every council member thinks they are their own mayor and acts that way and could care less about the city as a whole. They only care about what they can get for their own fiefdom.

SoonerGirl06
2/12/2007, 10:59 PM
From my understanding the reason for releasing them is because of a mandate set forth due to the overcrowding at the jail.

Nothing is ever going to be accomplished by the Dallas City Council or the Mayor's office (Laura Miller needs to go... what a joke of a mayor she's been). They are the most dysfunctional group of leaders I have ever seen in my life.

BajaOklahoma
2/13/2007, 01:18 AM
The root of Dallas's problem is Laura Miller. She is the devil and the root of all of the bad stuff that exists in Dallas.

Fixed it for you.

A good friend used to complain about coming to North Dallas/Collin County. It was always the traffic, the construction, the crowds, the crime. She lives in Cedar Hill. I laugh everytime I think about it.

Widescreen
2/13/2007, 08:55 AM
The root of Dallas's problem is every council member thinks they are their own mayor and acts that way and could care less about the city as a whole. They only care about what they can get for their own fiefdom.
Sounds a lot like the US Congress.

bluedogok
2/14/2007, 05:47 PM
Well, Dallas had problems well before Laura Miller became the mayor. Although, I would say that she has set a new low during her time in office when she should be out shopping or something. It hasn't changed much since I lived there 15 years ago, still as dysfunctional a city as they come. The county commissioners aren't much better, I met JWP a few times.......he was a piece of work.

I had a chance to move back to Dallas 3 years ago, 2 weeks back working there convinced me that there was no way that I wanted to be back in DFW. I commuted to Dallas for 4 months, that was enough.

A friend of mine there sent me a link to an "alternative" Dallas news site, it has some pretty interesting stuff in it and there are some funny commentaries about the mayor and council. DallasArena.com (http://www.dallasarena.com/)

jk the sooner fan
2/14/2007, 06:31 PM
if by "piece of work" you mean "criminal", then i agree

bluedogok
2/14/2007, 06:37 PM
Well... I was being kind. A friend dealt with him and his Ferrari.

jk the sooner fan
2/14/2007, 06:42 PM
well in fairness, its not like he's the only crook down at city hall, just one of MANY

mdklatt
2/14/2007, 07:23 PM
well in fairness, its not like he's the only crook down at city hall, just one of MANY

Holy crap, is he not in jail or something by now?