PDA

View Full Version : Carrie Underwood at the Grammys

tbl
2/11/2007, 10:00 PM
That girl is really, really good. I loved the San Antonio Rose performance. Greatness...

Even though I'm not the biggest Eagles fan, she sang the mess out of Desperado and Life in the fast lane.

Representing Oklahoma well, Carrie.

TopDaugIn2000
2/11/2007, 10:02 PM
missed it.

"The L Word" is on.

tbl
2/11/2007, 10:03 PM
I'll pretend I didn't just read that...

She just won the Grammy for new artist. Hopefully that won't be the death knell it typically is.

TopDaugIn2000
2/11/2007, 10:05 PM
this season is not good though, they ruined it when they cast Cybil. I hate that beyonce.

47straight
2/11/2007, 10:11 PM
She got introduced by Reba.

OH WAIT. I thought that the Dixie Chicks said that they didn't want to share a stage with Reba??? Oh wait, that was a CD player. Either way, FUDC.

TopDaugIn2000
2/11/2007, 10:13 PM
hopefully someone will re-run it

royalfan5
2/11/2007, 10:28 PM
She is dead to me after she came into Nebraska and insulted the beef industry while on stage. That don't fly where I'm from.

IronSooner
2/11/2007, 10:47 PM
This thread is worthless without pics.

SoonerInKCMO
2/11/2007, 10:49 PM
This thread is worthless without pics.

http://msnbcmedia3.msn.com/j/msnbc/Components/Photos/070211/070211_maines_vmed_7p.widec.jpg

SoonerInKCMO
2/11/2007, 10:49 PM
Oops, sorry - wrong Grammy winner. ;)

OKC-SLC
2/11/2007, 10:57 PM
http://msnbcmedia3.msn.com/j/msnbc/Components/Photos/070211/070211_maines_vmed_7p.widec.jpg
oops, sorry. wrong beef industry.

Okla-homey
2/11/2007, 11:03 PM

awwww. The chubby one has gone and dyed her hair brown.

jk the sooner fan
2/11/2007, 11:11 PM
so the dixie sluts won a grammy

just remember, so did milli vanilli.....

LilSooner
2/11/2007, 11:19 PM
I so hate every single one of you now.

I'm sorry I don't find it cute or even funny to call someone a fat slut just because you don't particularly agree with their politics.

But since it's apparently the "in" thing I'm gonna start calling Bush a pudgy little bitch.

Because you know I want to fit in with the "cool" kids.

royalfan5
2/11/2007, 11:22 PM

I'm sorry I don't find it cute or even funny to call someone a fat slut just because you don't particularly agree with their politics.

But since it's apparently the "in" thing I'm gonna start calling Bush a pudgy little bitch.

Hey, I didn't call anyone a fat slut, I just find insulting the industry my family has made a living in for generations to be a turnoff.

jk the sooner fan
2/11/2007, 11:26 PM

:rolleyes:

yes because i was entirely serious....

SleestakSooner
2/11/2007, 11:27 PM

I think I love you! :)

Do any of you watch the show Reba? I happened to catch one episode where she was wearing a UT t-shirt. Apparently the "character" she plays on the show is from Texass!!

Also I heard her mention great Texass musicians and yada yada but no mention of Oklahoma when she introduced Carrie Underwood. What is up with that?

tbl
2/11/2007, 11:28 PM
Album of the year for these losers???? Unbelievable. Yeah... WE GET IT! You hate Bush, and you're martyrs for your unbelievably rare stance of being somebody that critiques the president.

Apparently Nathan Petrelli is boinking one of them...

GottaHavePride
2/11/2007, 11:31 PM
I could care less about their politics - I wish country music as a genre would eat bleach and die.

Although, and I respect their right to have their own opinion, I find it very bush-league that it seems like every time they make their anti-Bush statements they're in some other country, not here. I also think it serves them right - they should realize that a huge majority of the country-music-loving fanbase in this country are hardcore "we love 'Merica" steak-eating people, and that their comments alienate a good number of those people.

EDIT: wow, THAT was almost an unfortunate typo.

Okla-homey
2/11/2007, 11:41 PM
It's just interesting to me that they sold what? 5 albums? But they still win this big 'ol award. Plain pandering to the hip anti-Bush base. That's just show biz I guess.

royalfan5
2/11/2007, 11:47 PM
It's just interesting to me that they sold what? 5 albums? But they still win this big 'ol award. Plain pandering to the hip anti-Bush base. That's just show biz I guess.
I wouldn't call double platinum 5 albums

Okla-homey
2/12/2007, 12:05 AM
I wouldn't call double platinum 5 albums

On their latest? I realize the first three sold really well, but I thought after they pee-oh'ed the country fans, thier career went south.

royalfan5
2/12/2007, 12:07 AM
On their latest? I realize the first three sold really well, but I thought after they pee-oh'ed the country fans, thier career went south.
Yep, their latest is certified double platinum in the United States by the RIAA.

bri
2/12/2007, 12:35 AM
Every time they won an award tonight, I thought of this forum and smiled. :D

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
2/12/2007, 12:41 AM
OMG-Christina Aguilera singing the James Brown song "It's a Man's' World-OMG!OMG!!! (However, the Grammy Awards and the Dixie Expatriots can KMA!)

bri
2/12/2007, 12:54 AM
Um, how can someone be an ex-pat if they're, you know, still here?

I'll hang up and take my answer off-air. TIA.

2/12/2007, 01:06 AM
Um, how can someone be an ex-pat if they're, you know, still here?

I'll hang up and take my answer off-air. TIA.They are mentally expatriots, not physically. Couldn't you figure that one out?

apusooner
2/12/2007, 01:07 AM
it doesn't matter if they are anti-bush or not. the dixie chicks suck.
on a side note, my trumpet teacher was in the orchestra backing up mary j blige.

bri
2/12/2007, 01:09 AM
They are mentally expatriots, not physically. Couldn't you figure that one out?

No, I guess I couldn't. I got confused because I actually know what the term means. I forgot to consult my English-to-tinfoil-hat dictionary.

My bad.

GottaHavePride
2/12/2007, 01:09 AM
They may be ex-patriots, but I don't think they qualify as expatriates.

2/12/2007, 01:55 AM
They may be ex-patriots, but I don't think they qualify as expatriates.There ya go Bri. That should be good enough for you.
Seriously, HOW ABOUT that performance by Christina Aguilarea!!!

Frozen Sooner
2/12/2007, 02:01 AM

Why do you hate Gavin Rossdale? I mean, besides the obvious.

Homey, as already pointed out, they inexplicably sold a ton of albums. Beyond that, why would you consider album sales a particularly good measure of artistic merit?

GottaHavePride
2/12/2007, 02:06 AM
[bill hicks] Michael Bolton won a GRAMMY! That means he's GOOD. [/bill hicks]

Frozen Sooner
2/12/2007, 02:08 AM
Well, that too.

Sooner in Tampa
2/12/2007, 06:45 AM
Every time they won an award tonight, I thought of this forum and smiled. :DThat's kind of funny...because eveytime the Chunks were mentioned...I just changed the channel :D and I NEVAR once thought of the SO. :P And the best part of it was, I never had my sight or hearing accosted.

Okla-homey
2/12/2007, 07:12 AM
I've already listened to the BBC World news and NPR this morning. Both broadcasts absolutely fawned over the "vindication" of the Chicks. I'm quite sure that was precisely the intent of the Grammy people who bestowed the awards on them last night. Sure, they're talented musicians, but Number One? I say nay, nay.

In fact, The last country act to win album of the year was Glen Campbell in flippin' 1969 with "By the Time I Get to Phoenix."

Maines (the fat one) said, "I think people are using their freedom of speech tonight with all of these awards," Maines said. I agree Natalie. That is indeed what it was all about.

Partial Qualifier
2/12/2007, 07:31 AM
I must be getting old because The Dixie Chicks and Mary J Blige produce some pretty generic crap in their respective genres. And yeah it's unfortunate that politics and the entertainment industry seem to go hand-in-hand; I've listened to some Dixie Chicks and uhh... yeah. Contrived third-party vindication is so neato! Way to go! :rolleyes: I think TBL nailed it (above).

And Mary J. Blige!? Please.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
2/12/2007, 07:48 AM
I watched Desperate Housewives and Brothers & Sisters instead.

SoonerTerry
2/12/2007, 07:49 AM
If I was gonna have an unhealthy devotion for someone I never met, It would be her..... or PG;)

Xstnlsooner
2/12/2007, 08:37 AM
About the DC's, ignorance is bliss....................just sayin'!

crawfish
2/12/2007, 08:46 AM

Let's just not get hit by a truck while we're shaking hands agreeing with one another. :D

tbl
2/12/2007, 09:45 AM
Seriously, HOW ABOUT that performance by Christina Aguilarea!!!
That girl is far and away the most talented singer in the music biz right now. She's just absolutely unbelievably talented. Her hair is always in a state of disarray, but when you have pipes like that, you could be sporting a wig made of pubic hair and it wouldn't matter.

Not only can she sing like a beast, she's a straight up performer.
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-5998375473815975672&q=christina+aguilera+ain%27t+no+other+man&hl=en

Xstnlsooner
2/12/2007, 09:52 AM
That girl is far and away the most talented singer in the music biz right now. She's just absolutely unbelievably talented. Her hair is always in a state of disarray, but when you have pipes like that, you could be sporting a wig made of pubic hair and it wouldn't matter.

Not only can she sing like a beast, she's a straight up performer.
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-5998375473815975672&q=christina+aguilera+ain%27t+no+other+man&hl=en

No mention of that cute little a** of hers either and how she loves
to play the slut!! :P

BlondeSoonerGirl
2/12/2007, 09:53 AM
I just wish Maines had been a little more gracious instead of getting up there and smarting off. Makes her look more like a big mouth...

...which now that I think about doesn't really seem to be hurting them.

So, you know...whatever. I guess.

Bah.

Beef
2/12/2007, 09:56 AM
The Dixie Chicks latest is an excellent CD. Some of the lyrics are as subtle as gdc, but it's amazing musically. And they do need to STFU and be more gracious.

Sooner in Tampa
I just wish Maines had been a little more gracious instead of getting up there and smarting off. Makes her look more like a big mouth...I think this is the exact thing that irritates most people...including me. She always has some smart @$$ comment about something or somebody.

So...I just don't listen to her run her big cake hole anymore. :)

sanantoniosooner
I just wish Maines had been a little more gracious instead of getting up there and smarting off. Makes her look more like a big mouth...

...which now that I think about deosn't really seem to be hurting them.

So, you know...whatever. I guess.

Bah.
Well said.

I think.

Beef
2/12/2007, 09:57 AM
And Rascall Flats are painful to listen to. Their singer should try opening his mouth when he sings.

tbl
2/12/2007, 09:59 AM
He would open his mouth but that turkey neck prevents him from achieving it.

sanantoniosooner
2/12/2007, 10:00 AM
I think this is the exact thing that irritates most people...including me. She always has some smart @$$ comment about something or somebody.

So...I just don't listen to her run her big cake hole anymore. :)
Sounds like she's perfect for the South Oval.

Can we get her to register?

sanantoniosooner
2/12/2007, 10:01 AM
And Rascall Flats are painful to listen to. Their singer should try opening his mouth when he sings.
listening to them butcher Hotel California and Life in the Fast Lane was horrible.

It's bad enough to edit it for length, but to suck at it also?

C&CDean
2/12/2007, 10:18 AM
You people suck. If you actually watched this steaming pile of manure you suck really, really hard. WTF is wrong with you? Why would you waste an hour or two of a perfectly good life on **** like this? It simply amazes me.

Oh yeah, **** the commie broads. In their pudgy asses.

sanantoniosooner
2/12/2007, 10:20 AM
BWAHAHAHAHAHA

a guy that moderates a BBS is calling people out for wasting time.

Good One Dean.

C&CDean
2/12/2007, 10:25 AM
BWAHAHAHAHAHA

a guy that moderates a BBS is calling people out for wasting time.

Good One Dean.

Uh I gotta do something while I'm at work...

Oh yeah, I almost forgot. Blow me.

sanantoniosooner
2/12/2007, 10:29 AM
Meh........I saw about 15 minutes and went to bed. I couldn't watch much of that crap myself.

Blow yerself. I'm busy.

Beef
2/12/2007, 10:34 AM
Oh yeah, **** the commie broads. In their pudgy asses.
Mmmmm....poppin' pudgy commie broads in the poop shoot.

LilSooner
2/12/2007, 10:37 AM
I think that its funny that everyone loves to hate on the dixie chicks, but nobody seems to be hating on Green Day. They basically did the exact same thing with their song American Idiot (redneck agenda anyone?) and they did the dastardly thing by taping their DVD over in England and those crazy britts went crazy when they sang American Idiot.

As my old poli sci professor Cindy Roesnthal (who is ironically running for Norman Mayor) would say, "It's just because their women, who have an opinion."

jk the sooner fan
2/12/2007, 10:39 AM
oh lord, you really think gender is the issue here?

gimme a break.........country music caters to a MUCH different audience than Green Day does........rock is all about confrontation and controversy

their fans expect anarchy

so the dixie chicks spouted off their mouth on foreign soil and their flag waving fan base reacted with their own version of "freedom of speech"....and you're surprised because why?

LilSooner
2/12/2007, 10:45 AM
oh lord, you really think gender is the issue here?

gimme a break.........country music caters to a MUCH different audience than Green Day does........rock is all about confrontation and controversy

their fans expect anarchy

so the dixie chicks spouted off their mouth on foreign soil and their flag waving fan base reacted with their own version of "freedom of speech"....and you're surprised because why?

Oh really I didn't realize that every single one of you that bashed the chicks in this thread were such conosours of the fine musical stylings which is country music. I also never knew that repbulican's hated ****ty punk, or that those ****ty punk lovers craved choas. Brilliant deductions Mr. Watson.

All that I am saying is that two bands did the exact same thing and only one band got the back lash.

jk the sooner fan
2/12/2007, 10:47 AM
i've got quite a bit of green day on my ipod - as well as a bunch of other rock

and i listen to country music on a regular basis

i'm just saying that you cant compare the two because of the audience the play too.......i would submit that MOST true country music fans dont listen to green day......they would never purchase their music so they arent offended

the country music fans that are offended (or were).....were the ones buying their music

and i doubt the TRUE green day fans ever listen to anything remotely country

jk the sooner fan
2/12/2007, 10:49 AM
let me put it in simpler terms

no, its NOT a gender issue

if Toby Keith had done the same thing, the backlash would have been just as bad, if not worse

picasso
2/12/2007, 10:52 AM
I think that its funny that everyone loves to hate on the dixie chicks, but nobody seems to be hating on Green Day. They basically did the exact same thing with their song American Idiot (redneck agenda anyone?) and they did the dastardly thing by taping their DVD over in England and those crazy britts went crazy when they sang American Idiot.

As my old poli sci professor Cindy Roesnthal (who is ironically running for Norman Mayor) would say, "It's just because their women, who have an opinion."
Green Day sucks. and umm they're from Canada are they not?
Dixie Chicks busted on our contry while at war and while they were in a foreign country didn't they?

I laugh at any artist in any medium that has the gall to rag on the U.S. all the while reaping it's benefits.

foreign policy and our government is certainly open for criticism but for that to be a constant agenda is a f'ing joke.
if this country sucketh so badeth, go make your money elswhere.

it reminds me of Picasso. he was a commie yet he gladfully cashed his checks.

crawfish
2/12/2007, 10:53 AM
I never cared for the Dixie Chicks stuff before the controversy, and I do think the whole thing was overblown. She was basically just a little girl screaming "Bush sucks!".

I have been amused at the large number of people who'd like their music all of a sudden hating it with a passion...and others who absolutely hate country buying their album and sitting it, unheard, on the back shelf.

Green Day >>>> Dixie Chicks. Maybe that's why the lack of controversy.

royalfan5
2/12/2007, 11:00 AM
Dixie Chicks busted on our contry while at war and while they were in a foreign country didn't they?

I laugh at any artist in any medium that has the gall to rag on the U.S. all the while reaping it's benefits.

foreign policy and our government is certainly open for criticism but for that to be a constant agenda is a f'ing joke.

Unless the Bay Area is part of Canada, Green Day's is American.

LilSooner
2/12/2007, 11:02 AM
i've got quite a bit of green day on my ipod - as well as a bunch of other rock

and i listen to country music on a regular basis

i'm just saying that you cant compare the two because of the audience the play too.......i would submit that MOST true country music fans dont listen to green day......they would never purchase their music so they arent offended

the country music fans that are offended (or were).....were the ones buying their music

and i doubt the TRUE green day fans ever listen to anything remotely country

Thanks for making my point there jack. UMM and I was a TRUE green day fan used to have all of their cd's but not the type of fanboy or girl for that fact that would were a greenday tshirt to a concert and I totally used to listen to country.

And Picaso Greenday was born and raised here in the good ole U S of A. Their lead singer also has ties to Oklahoma. Oh and they also busted on our country while in Europe.

picasso
2/12/2007, 11:02 AM
Unless the Bay Area is part of Canada, Green Day's is American.
I thought they were from the great white north. shows you how much I follow.

the beef with the Chicks again, is the fact that they verbally spoke out against our country, not just Bush, while they were in another country, while we are at war.
that's quite different that "sangin" about it.

critical success does not mean it hasn't hurt them financially.

47straight
2/12/2007, 11:03 AM
If Green Day said they didn't want to be in the same CD changer as Reba and Toby, I don't think anyone would care.

jk the sooner fan
2/12/2007, 11:05 AM
Thanks for making my point there jack. UMM and I was a TRUE green day fan used to have all of their cd's but not the type of fanboy or girl for that fact that would were a greenday tshirt to a concert and I totally used to listen to country.

And Picaso Greenday was born and raised here in the good ole U S of A. Their lead singer also has ties to Oklahoma. Oh and they also busted on our country while in Europe.

your point was that it was a gender issue jill..........which it isnt

knock the gender chip off your shoulder, its very unbecoming

BeetDigger
2/12/2007, 11:06 AM
On a completely different note, I see Wolfmother won a grammy. Sorry I missed that. Also sorry I missed seeing Carrie. I like listening to her and looking at her is not too bad either.

picasso
2/12/2007, 11:08 AM
so my dislike for them is also well founded.

again, I'm all for dissent. but just give it to me in an intelligent manner.
"no mo war" and "Bush sucks" just ain't much to go on.

Hamhock
2/12/2007, 11:11 AM

wait a minute, i thougt you were....i don't understand.

picasso
2/12/2007, 11:17 AM
wait a minute, i thougt you were....i don't understand.
I'm his love child.

Pablito El Guapo.

BlondeSoonerGirl
2/12/2007, 11:29 AM
I don't want to start a new thread so I'm just gonna put it in here:

I love Imogen Heap. I love Frou Frou. A lot.

But letting a fan design your Grammy getup might...not...be...a good idea.

:mack:

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/42563000/jpg/_42563641_heap_210.jpg

Those boots do kick some arse, though.

picasso
2/12/2007, 11:33 AM

sweet! who is she/it?

BlondeSoonerGirl
2/12/2007, 11:36 AM
She's the singer for Frou Frou. Frou Frou is her and another dude that make really purty music. She's done some solo stuff, too. Very creative, she is. She was nominated for a Grammy last night.

And she had tree parts in her hair.

picasso
2/12/2007, 11:39 AM
kinda like Moulin Rouge 1920's Paris hooker meets a Geisha look.

BlondeSoonerGirl
2/12/2007, 11:42 AM
:les: IS THERE A BIRD IN THERE???!?!?

Beef
2/12/2007, 11:43 AM
She looks like that crazy actress that wanted to be Catwoman. Sean Young I think is her name.

Pricetag
2/12/2007, 11:49 AM
I think "American Idiot" didn't get as much controversy play because it's impossible to deny that this great nation is chock full of them. Heck, the folks who get really fired up in political argument consider about half of the country to be idiots.

KC//CRIMSON
2/12/2007, 12:13 PM

Looks like somebody go hit by the "Bjork Bus.":D

KC//CRIMSON
2/12/2007, 12:14 PM
Back on topic. As fun as she is to look at, Carrie Underwood is pretty boring and an average singer IMO.

Osce0la
2/12/2007, 12:24 PM
Speaking of American Idol - what ever happened to this chick?
http://content.answers.com/main/content/wp/en/e/e0/Ryan_Starr.jpg

TopDaugIn2000
2/12/2007, 12:53 PM
msn says this about carrie: :(

-- Carrie Underwood's tribute to Bob Wills and Don Henley proved that without studio tricks, some American Idols belong back home, singing into the hairbrush. She wasn't as bad as soulless country fakes Rascal Flatts, who desecrated the Eagles' "Hotel California" and "Life in the Fast Lane." And I HATE those songs!

-- Underwood's acceptance speech for Best New Artist (highway robbery! Even James Blunt would've been better!) sounded like it was written and performed by a music-biz robot.

whole article (http://music.msn.com/music/grammys/bestworst?GT1=9076)

Sooner in Tampa
2/12/2007, 12:57 PM
I can't believe that somebody actually cares enough to argue FOR those 3 stupid yainches.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
2/12/2007, 01:04 PM

Those boots do kick some arse, though.Is that Cruella DeVille's sister?

Oh and I like Frou Frou too too.

LilSooner
2/12/2007, 01:51 PM
your point was that it was a gender issue jill..........which it isnt

knock the gender chip off your shoulder, its very unbecoming

I made one reference to it there slappy nobody has a chip on their sholder unless we are talking about you. I was merely stating that gender was really the only difference (ok and one sings country the other sings ****ty punk) between the two bands and their actions.

I just bristle at the fact that just because you good old boys don't agree with someone politics they automatically because fatties and skanks especially if they are female.

I don't believe (and I could be wrong) that I have ever heard any man on this board refer to someone that they didn't agree with political wise as a skank or a fatty unless of course it was a female.

All I am saying is that it is way to easy for you guys to call a female a slutty, fat, POS and make some disgusting joke about butt secks than it is to state your opinon in a mature, intelligent fashion.

I guess I expect way to much from this board.

Fugue
2/12/2007, 01:56 PM
:pop:

sitzpinkler
2/12/2007, 02:00 PM

I hear this nonsense time and time again and it always amazes me.

They did not criticize America, they criticized the president. If these are one in the same, then damn, republicans sure were a bunch of America hatin' fools during the Clinton administration.

jk the sooner fan
2/12/2007, 02:07 PM

yeah i guess you do slappy, it IS just the internet

i never called them fatties,......i referred to them as the dixie sluts, only because its been a name tossed around jokingly

if you have angst towards somebody else on the board, direct it towards them

i was simply trying to point out that they play to two VERY different kinds of audiences.....comparing them to green day just made no sense

so we both listen to both genre's of music......great

i've seen plenty of posts on this very board that refer to people like johnny depp and sean penn with insulting names because of their politics

oh my GAWD, quit bashing the males.....

we insult female hollywood types by referring to them as sluts and we insult the males with any wide variety of insults

do the research, its all there

C&CDean
2/12/2007, 02:07 PM
I made one reference to it there slappy nobody has a chip on their sholder unless we are talking about you. I was merely stating that gender was really the only difference (ok and one sings country the other sings ****ty punk) between the two bands and their actions.

I just bristle at the fact that just because you good old boys don't agree with someone politics they automatically because fatties and skanks especially if they are female.

I don't believe (and I could be wrong) that I have ever heard any man on this board refer to someone that they didn't agree with political wise as a skank or a fatty unless of course it was a female.

All I am saying is that it is way to easy for you guys to call a female a slutty, fat, POS and make some disgusting joke about butt secks than it is to state your opinon in a mature, intelligent fashion.

Geez girl, calm down.

When a man is a stupid, loudmouth, no-talent person who publically makes an ******* of himself what do we call him? Nimrod? Dip****? Al Franken? Rush Limbaugh?

When a woman is a stupid, loudmouth, no-talent person who publically makes an ******* of herself what do we call her? Slut? Stupid bitch? Natalie Maines? Skinny chick who all the right-wingers fawn over but I can't think of her name?

Point is this: These pathetic broads (and in Green Day's case punks) decided to bash the USA and the president. They're simply paying the price for their choice/s. I'm not sure why it upsets you so much.

BeetDigger
2/12/2007, 02:16 PM

Well, in Natalie's case, if the size 14 clothes fit,... :D

Osce0la
2/12/2007, 02:20 PM
For the record, I do think Micheal Moore is a fatty, but probably not a skank...

blueyedsooner
2/12/2007, 02:22 PM

Reason # 542 That I'm glad you are going to be my sister-in-law!! ;)

jk the sooner fan
2/12/2007, 02:25 PM
For the record, I do think Micheal Moore is a fatty, but probably not a skank...

perfect example

Mr Moore, I disagree with your politics..i'd call you a slut but i'm fairly certain you're not getting any action

so i'll just use the "fat pig" that everybody else uses

sincerely,

jk

jdsooner
2/12/2007, 02:29 PM
I respect the Chicks for speaking out against the war when it was not popular to do so. As some of us feared, the invasion of Iraq has turned out to be a colossal mistake. This is a country that allows for free speech and diversity of opinion, which makes me glad to be an American.

And by the way, I also like Toby Keith, although I disagree with him politically. You don't have to agree with someone to respect their opinions and their right to share their opinions.

And going back to the topic, I also think Carrie Underwood is great! Hooray for the girl from Checotah!

Osce0la
2/12/2007, 02:30 PM
Also, skank is not a term widely used to describe males, so calling a male a fat skank just sounds kinda weird...

Osce0la
2/12/2007, 02:32 PM
What about Pearl Jam? Have they been forgotten in all of this? Probably so since it is obvious they are way past their prime and just trying to hang on now...

SleestakSooner
2/12/2007, 02:33 PM
Hmmm the price you say. Would that be the multi-platinum album sales for their latest recordings?

Or would it be the pleasure of knowing your opinion does matter and is shared, quite possibly by a vast majority of other free thinking Americans?

And what exactly is everyone's trip about using your right to free speech on foreign soil? Do we somehow lose that freedom once we leave these shores?

You people do realize that no matter where you are in the world today, if you are famous the whole world will possibly hear what you have said in a matter of minutes. I don't see how it matters if I am standing in the middle of the Gobi or the top of Mount Rushmore.

LilSooner
2/12/2007, 02:38 PM
JK JESUS CHRIST! The only reason that I was directing it back to you was because your the one who responded. ITS NOT JUST YOU! But I know your the board's martyr so I just take you with a grain of salt.

Dean I only get frustrated because when did it ever become ok to call a woman a fat *** skank just because you don't agree with them. I garuandamntee that if your ever said that to your wife she would knock you clear across the damn house.

A very smart poster once wrote to me, "when certain individual can't be bothered to actually counter someone's point and instead resort to insults, then act like they've won a debate."

You hate the dixie chicks, fine I could care less. I don't agree with what they did, but I'm not going to attack their physical apparence or lack of morals just so I can sound cool on a ****ing message board.

jk the sooner fan
2/12/2007, 02:42 PM
oh the hypocracy......

tbl
2/12/2007, 02:42 PM
Gender has nothing to do with it. If Green Day or Pearl Jam had won a grammy last night after facing backlash (which they don't get much backlash b/c as has been pointed out, rock and country are completely separate worlds), they would have had the balls to confront the issue head on instead of acting like snivelling *********s like the DC's did. They acted all coy and avoided the elephant. If you're gonna have that opinion and base an album on it, at least have the guts to address the real issue when you're accepting the award. Don Henley and other ******rockets have unabashedly supported the DC's, simply b/c of their political stance. Why be afraid to talk about it when you have the mic in front of you?

For the record, I've always thought they sucked. The 2 sisters are pretty talented musicians, but their music blows. I've NEVER liked the lead singer, long before the anti-Bush thing came up.

Heck, one of my favorite bands ever is Radiohead, and it's pretty obvious what their feelings are on Bush. Also, I'm not a big fan of Bush (the president). I think the Iraq deal is a quagmire and he's expanded the size of our govt more than any dem could have.

RE: Carrie Underwood. I think she can sing, and sing quite well. Her performance of San Antonio Rose was really good, and her thanking American Idol showed class. She knows that without that show she wouldn't be there, so to avoid thanking them would make her look like a ungrateful twat.

Fugue
2/12/2007, 02:43 PM

LilSooner
2/12/2007, 02:45 PM
Somebody call the waaaambulance.

I don't start crying when I get called out or when someone disagrees with my views.

Don't get mad when I respond to your post dude.

Pricetag
2/12/2007, 02:45 PM
And what exactly is everyone's trip about using your right to free speech on foreign soil? Do we somehow lose that freedom once we leave these shores?

It's bad form. If you don't have the cajones to say something like that in front of a crowd who, in all likelihood, will react in a non-favorable way, then you probably just shouldn't say it. Don't wait until you have a crowd that will react favorably to say it. What's worse, it can appear that you said it because you think that's what they wanted to hear.

Fugue
2/12/2007, 02:46 PM
http://media.scout.com/media/image/27/273123.gif

tbl
2/12/2007, 02:47 PM
It's called pandering. I have no problem with pandering. However, last night they were definitely with a crowd that would have agreed with them, and they didn't say anything, but instead joked around like junior high girls (primarily Fatty McLeadsinger).

Frozen Sooner
2/12/2007, 02:49 PM
It's bad form. If you don't have the cajones to say something like that in front of a crowd who, in all likelihood, will react in a non-favorable way, then you probably just shouldn't say it. Don't wait until you have a crowd that will react favorably to say it. What's worse, it can appear that you said it because you think that's what they wanted to hear.

That's an odd way to look at it. It would seem to be rather antagonistic to make anti-Bush statements at a Republican gathering, you know?

LilSooner
2/12/2007, 02:51 PM
Gender has nothing to do with it. If Green Day or Pearl Jam had won a grammy last night after facing backlash (which they don't get much backlash b/c as has been pointed out, rock and country are completely separate worlds), they would have had the balls to confront the issue head on instead of acting like snivelling *********s like the DC's did. They acted all coy and avoided the elephant. If you're gonna have that opinion and base an album on it, at least have the guts to address the real issue when you're accepting the award. Don Henley and other ******rockets have unabashedly supported the DC's, simply b/c of their political stance. Why be afraid to talk about it when you have the mic in front of you?

For the record, I've always thought they sucked. The 2 sisters are pretty talented musicians, but their music blows. I've NEVER liked the lead singer, long before the anti-Bush thing came up.

Heck, one of my favorite bands ever is Radiohead, and it's pretty obvious what their feelings are on Bush. Also, I'm not a big fan of Bush (the president). I think the Iraq deal is a quagmire and he's expanded the size of our govt more than any dem could have.

RE: Carrie Underwood. I think she can sing, and sing quite well. Her performance of San Antonio Rose was really good, and her thanking American Idol showed class. She knows that without that show she wouldn't be there, so to avoid thanking them would make her look like a ungrateful twat.

I see your point, but didn't Greenday do the same thing last year? I'm lazy but I thought that they won a grammy for american idiot (although I could be completely wrong). I understand that they are two seperate generes, but there is alot of cross over. And all though the gender card may not hold it's water, because I don't believe that there has been any other female acts in the rock/pop area that have come out and did what the dc did.

I think that it all goes back to my bigger issue with this whole thing is that why is it ok to call a female derogatory names just because you disagree with their politics.

Pricetag
2/12/2007, 02:51 PM
That's an odd way to look at it. It would seem to be rather antagonistic to make anti-Bush statements at a Republican gathering, you know?
Well, the way I look at it, if you're going to be controversial, then be controversial. It doesn't matter where you are. It makes your conviction seem diluted to modify yourself depending upon where you are.

Fugue
2/12/2007, 02:52 PM
http://www.chlforums.com/images/smiles/wedgie.gif

LilSooner
2/12/2007, 02:52 PM

That's awesome. :D And sums this whole thread right up. If I had any spek in my speker you totally get it.

Frozen Sooner
2/12/2007, 02:54 PM
Maybe the point wasn't to be controversial but to affirm their beliefs in front of people they knew to be like-minded?

I mean, most preachers don't go out of their way to wander into mosques and proclaim Islam a false religion, do they? I'm sure they'd have no problem saying so if asked.

jk the sooner fan
i think alot of problems the dixie chicks experienced happened because of how they handled things after they said what they did......they handled it really poorly in my opinion, but it all worked out in the end......the war is now unpopular and they timed the release of their album perfectly....good for them!

as i said earlier, i think people expect green day to play that kind of message......whereas the dixie chicks was a total surprise to their main audience

Viking Kitten

http://www.thecatsite.com/forums/images/smilies/argue.gif

Mjcpr
2/12/2007, 02:56 PM
That's awesome. :D And sums this whole thread right up. If I had any spek in my speker you totally get it.

Don't bother....it's just another that he stole from me. :mad:

:D

Fugue
2/12/2007, 02:57 PM
Don't bother....it's just another that he stole from me. :mad:

:D

hey, that's not free lodging over there.

Fugue
2/12/2007, 02:58 PM
http://www.thecatsite.com/forums/images/smilies/argue.gif

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v424/gen3sooner/smilies/144.gif

Osce0la
2/12/2007, 03:01 PM
Green Day didn't do anything different in England than what they have done here (in short, nothing they said in England was any different than what you hear on their CD).

def_lazer_fc
2/12/2007, 03:13 PM
yeah, this is all great and all, but where's the outrage over the red hot chilli peppers winning best "rock" album? although not the best from either, the worst of tom petty or neil young is still far superior. and didn't the chilli peppers have a song on their new album that blatantly ripped off a tom petty song? last dance with mary jane perhaps?

p.s. their live performance SUCKED! unless you like confetti. then it was awesome.

BeetDigger
2/12/2007, 03:20 PM
I vote this the best thread of the year, so far anyway.

SoonerStormchaser
2/12/2007, 03:24 PM
I hate the Dixie Bitches...

That is all.

Sooner in Tampa
2/12/2007, 03:44 PM
I hate the Dixie Bitches...

Ditto

Scott D
2/12/2007, 03:56 PM
yeah, this is all great and all, but where's the outrage over the red hot chilli peppers winning best "rock" album? although not the best from either, the worst of tom petty or neil young is still far superior. and didn't the chilli peppers have a song on their new album that blatantly ripped off a tom petty song? last dance with mary jane perhaps?

p.s. their live performance SUCKED! unless you like confetti. then it was awesome.

to be fair, this is the same award show that once gave Jethro Tull a Metal Grammy.

BeetDigger
2/12/2007, 03:59 PM
oh the hypocracy......

If I speak out against the Dixie Chicks will that make me one of the cool kids? I've been told to not respond to threads started by certain posters on this board because all they want are the other cool kids to respond. I was not considered a cool kid. But if I can get membership into one of the cool kid clubs, that would be some kind of awesomeness. And if I do join the club, will that allow me to not have to sit next to Lid at future Dallas lunches? :D

Boarder
2/12/2007, 04:01 PM
to be fair, this is the same award show that once gave Jethro Tull a Metal Grammy.
That's when I officially stopped watching.

For the record, after American Idiot came out whenever I discussed Green Day with anyone I would always say something to the effect of "I wish they'd stop trying to be all political and just rock."

2/12/2007, 04:10 PM
......whenever I discussed Green Day with anyone You actually do that sort of thing?

jk the sooner fan
2/12/2007, 04:13 PM
remember, Milli Vanilli won a grammy :)

Rhino
2/12/2007, 04:14 PM
I'm okay with the Dixie Chicks, I'm not a fan by any means. I think their cover of Fleetwood Mac's "Landslide" is fantastic and "Not Ready to Make Nice" is a very well written song.

Their pandering in London was a bit on the stupid side, but not so outlandish to warrant the subsequent backlash. They've said some stupid things since then that have done nothing to silence the hysterical masses, that's for sure.

yeah, this is all great and all, but where's the outrage over the red hot chilli peppers winning best "rock" album? although not the best from either, the worst of tom petty or neil young is still far superior. and didn't the chilli peppers have a song on their new album that blatantly ripped off a tom petty song? last dance with mary jane perhaps? RHCP shouldn't have won, but Petty and Young shouldn't have been anywhere near that category. The Raconteurs deserved that award.

KC//CRIMSON
2/12/2007, 04:17 PM
"RHCP shouldn't have won, but Petty and Young shouldn't have been anywhere near that category. The Raconteurs deserved that award."

Spot on.

Boarder
2/12/2007, 04:18 PM
You actually do that sort of thing?
Yes, as in, "Hey, you hear that new Green Day CD?"

"Yeah, It's ok but I wish they'd stop being all political and just rock"

Not like we had an assembly with 10 overhead projector discussion pages of Green Day and what they stand for.

C&CDean
2/12/2007, 04:19 PM
If Rhino and KC// agree on something in regards to music - bank it.

Of course I've never even heard of the Raconteurs.

tbl
2/12/2007, 04:20 PM

Dude, Stadium Arcadium has some awesome songs on it. I mean, really really good songs. Sure the verse to Dani CA is the same as LDFMJ, but the rest of the song is completely different. It wasn't a rip off. If you know anything about playing/writing music (especially rock and country), you'll realize that there are TONS of songs that use the same chord arrangements as many songs before them. Using your reasoning, Tom Petty has ripped of scores of musicians. Off the top of my head, the opening chords in "You wreck me" are the exact same as "Polythene Pam" by the Beatles. Are the played and arranged the same? Sure. Did TP rip off the Beatles? Absolutely not.

tbl
2/12/2007, 04:23 PM
RHCP shouldn't have won, but Petty and Young shouldn't have been anywhere near that category. The Raconteurs deserved that award.
I agree that the Raconteurs are awesome. No doubt about it.

However, have you listened to SA, both albums? I mean, really listened to them, all the way through? I'm tellin ya, it has some really good stuff on it.

sanantoniosooner
2/12/2007, 04:54 PM
Political stance is the best reason I can think of for calling someone a skank.

JohnnyMack
2/12/2007, 05:00 PM
I haven't scrolled through this thread but let me guess, a bunch of people are prattling on about what a bunch of skanks the Dixie Chicks are and how they suck at everything they do and what a wicked bunch of people they are.

Somewhere, someone is preparing a stake and some kindling to burn the witches.

Right?

C&CDean
2/12/2007, 05:01 PM
I haven't scrolled through this thread but let me guess, a bunch of people are prattling on about what a bunch of skanks the Dixie Chicks are and how they suck at everything they do and what a wicked bunch of people they are.

Somewhere, someone is preparing a stake and some kindling to burn the witches.

Right?

Wrong. Read teh ****ing thread.

Osce0la
2/12/2007, 05:05 PM
This thread is about Carrie Underwood, Mack...please try to keep up ;)

JohnnyMack
2/12/2007, 05:11 PM
Wrong. Read teh ****ing thread.

Lay-zee.

C&CDean
2/12/2007, 05:17 PM
Well then I guess you'll never know the greatness that is this thread.

jacru
2/12/2007, 05:19 PM
Under Carrie Gram at the Woodies

JohnnyMack
2/12/2007, 05:19 PM
it doesn't matter if they are anti-bush or not. the dixie chicks suck.
on a side note, my trumpet teacher was in the orchestra backing up mary j blige.

Speaking of overrated.

C&CDean
2/12/2007, 05:29 PM
Dude, don't be banging on his trumpet teacher.

apusooner
2/12/2007, 07:05 PM
Speaking of overrated.
the orchestra or mary j blige?

i found out today he played for gnarls barkley. he must've made some bank last night.

JohnnyMack
2/12/2007, 09:04 PM
the orchestra or mary j blige?

i found out today he played for gnarls barkley. he must've made some bank last night.

mjb.

And possibly that d00d.

I don't know him.

;)

SleestakSooner
2/12/2007, 09:07 PM
I wish Gnarls Barkley would have won something instead of the Dixie Chicks winning everything. Oh well, at least they were nominated.

KC//CRIMSON
2/12/2007, 09:35 PM
Cee-Lo and Danger Mouse dressed like airline pilots and the choir dressed like flight attendants was genius.

apusooner
2/12/2007, 09:39 PM
mjb.

agreed. it's amazing though, most of the overrated people performing are the ones who pay the best.

tbl
2/12/2007, 09:53 PM
I wish Gnarls Barkley would have won something instead of the Dixie Chicks winning everything. Oh well, at least they were nominated.
They did win one of the lower level Grammys.

LilSooner
2/12/2007, 10:29 PM
I wish people would stop calling him Gnarles Barkley that is the name of the band. His name is Cee-lo and that other dude is Danger Mouse. I wanted to punch John Norse in the throat when he kept calling him Gnarles.

47straight
2/12/2007, 10:29 PM
They did win one of the lower level Grammys.

Best polka album?

sanantoniosooner
2/12/2007, 10:30 PM
Gnarles Barkley is a fat slut.

SleestakSooner
2/12/2007, 10:48 PM
Gnarles Barkley is a fat slut.

don't you mean Charles Barkley?

Those guys are awesome and I love their creative costumes. That MTV music awards show they put on last year dressed up in Star Wars costumes was teh win!

Rhino
2/12/2007, 10:54 PM
Best polka album? Best alternative album over Thom Yorke, Flaming Lips, Yeah Yeah Yeahs and the Arctic Monkeys.

picasso
2/12/2007, 11:22 PM
Yorke has a solo out? anybody heard it?

Radiohead kinda went south with their latest work.

Boarder
2/12/2007, 11:46 PM
I wish people would stop calling him Gnarles Barkley that is the name of the band. His name is Cee-lo and that other dude is Danger Mouse. I wanted to punch John Norse in the throat when he kept calling him Gnarles.
Calm down little bride person. You're gonna pop a vein or something.

JohnnyMack
2/12/2007, 11:50 PM

The Eraser.

Kicks balls.

Rhino
2/12/2007, 11:55 PM
Haven't heard it, but have heard nothing but good things about it.

Here's three songs from a fake Thom Yorke myspace site:
http://www.myspace.com/thomyorke1

bri
2/13/2007, 02:10 AM

Hear, hear.

Like, back when President Bush had all those "public town hall meetings" where each and every person who attended was hand-picked by the GOP and screened to make sure they wouldn't confuse the Commander-In-Chief by disagreeing with him. Oh, wait, that's even worse than going to London and saying you think the former president of the Texas Rangers is a tool. :D

tbl
2/13/2007, 08:06 AM

If you're referring to "Hail to the Thief", then I disagree (sorta). Yeah there's some crap on it, but theres also some Radiohead genius.

Have they had an album out since HTTT?

I'm gonna get Yorkes solo album today. I heard it was awesome.

Pricetag
2/13/2007, 10:08 AM
Hear, hear.

Like, back when President Bush had all those "public town hall meetings" where each and every person who attended was hand-picked by the GOP and screened to make sure they wouldn't confuse the Commander-In-Chief by disagreeing with him. Oh, wait, that's even worse than going to London and saying you think the former president of the Texas Rangers is a tool. :D
Unfortunately, we've grown to accept/condone this type of behavior by our politicians.

I'm not a President Bush fan. I'm not a Chicks hater. I don't have a problem with their opinion, but I do understand why some would have a problem with them speaking it over there. It's kind of like if you have a disagreement with a family member--if you have something to say, say it at home. Don't go to someone else's house, particularly someone who may not like that person, and run them down. It's weak sauce.

KC//CRIMSON
2/13/2007, 06:35 PM

It came out last June. Pretty good stuff. If you liked "Kid A", you will like "The Eraser." :cool: