PDA

View Full Version : More on Hugo...attn commies, it doesn't work!

Jerk
2/11/2007, 02:15 PM
Inflation, food scarcity roil Venezuela
Economists say the government is overreaching in controlling prices, fueling a black market.
By Chris Kraul, Times Staff Writer
February 11, 2007

CARACAS, VENEZUELA — Police swooped down last week on a grimy central market district, forced open a warehouse and seized 7 tons of a white substance. It wasn't cocaine. The contraband was sugar, and the seizure of at least 184 tons nationwide showed how President Hugo Chavez's efforts to remake the economy are fraying at the edges.

The bust near the Quinta Crespo market came as double-digit inflation and scarcity have hit Venezuela's markets. The seizures were efforts to strike at what one Chavez supporter, Carabobo Gov. Luis Felipe Acosta, said was hoarding by "terrorist capitalists who want to destroy the country."

But economists and industry officials describe the raids as the latest in a sequence of hamhanded, politically motivated attempts to rein in market forces beyond Chavez's control. Inflation and the development of a huge underground market in goods including sugar were simply symptoms of mismanagement, they say.

Venezuela is rolling in oil wealth with about $46 billion in energy sales last year, and there is little risk of a financial crisis in the near term. Chavez in recent years has tried to transfer much of the wealth to the poor via welfare programs including cheap or free housing, the donation of cash and government assets to worker cooperatives and free education.

Among the most ambitious and popular programs has been the establishment of the Mercal retail chain. Since early 2003, the network of about 14,000 retail outlets mainly in poor barrios, has sold basic foodstuffs and household goods at discounts of 35% off standard supermarket prices.

Chavez has imposed price controls on a variety of goods, such as 29 basic food items produced in Venezuela including beans, cooking oil, meat and chicken. He also has imported such goods as Uruguayan pasta and Brazilian pork that are resold to the poor at greatly reduced costs, thanks to government subsidies.

But mismanagement, rampant corruption and scarcities have cut into Mercal's operations. At the same time, low prices set by the government have caused manufacturers and other suppliers either to cut production or divert output to an enormous black market.

A recent government report found that Mercal sales in November fell in volume to half that of a year earlier and that customers were increasingly unhappy with how the stores were run and what they sold. In January, Chavez shuffled Mercal's management, expressing dismay that huge quantities of goods were unaccounted for.

"This can't be. We should be going forward, not backward," Chavez said in a Jan. 21 broadcast to the nation.

The suspicion is that much of the inventory is siphoned off before the products reach the shelves, sold either to the domestic underground market or exported as contraband to Brazil, Colombia or Caribbean countries.

At the same time, the flood of cash washing over Venezuela from oil sales has caused demand for all goods — watches and whiskey, detergent and SUVs — to climb, adding inflationary pressure. In the last week, Venezuela's central bank released figures showing that inflation rose in January to an annual rate of more than 25%, twice the national target.

A survey by researchers at the National Federation of Teachers found that basic food prices increased in the 12-month period that ended Jan. 31.

Food prices are rising faster than the increases in minimum wages that the government pushed through last year. The reigniting of inflation threatens the poor constituency Chavez is trying to help, economists say.

Scarcity of items such as sugar, beans and meat and empty supermarket shelves dominated the headlines here last week. Meat disappeared for several days after slaughterhouses shut down, saying they couldn't afford to process meat at the prices set by the government.

A sugar industry source said production had fallen because prices the industry received were lower than farmers' cost of production and because the government-sponsored takeover of sugar cane plantations had cut productivity.

In Yaracuy, a prime sugar-producing state west of Caracas, the capital, 80% of plantations have been taken over by farmer cooperatives, the source said.

In the poor Caracas suburb of Catia on Saturday, sugar and chicken were being rationed at a Mercal shop for the first time in a week. "I came in the morning and waited two hours for milk. Now I'm back in line waiting for chicken, one to a family," said Marietta Abreu, as she stood with 100 other customers.

"It's the fault of the street vendors," she said, referring to the informal merchants who sell the black-market goods. "They're always ahead of the game." (yeah, no kidding broad, markets are a little more efficient than government)

The government is trying to retain its grip by taking measures that at times seem highly improvisational. Justifying the seizure of the sugar Thursday, officials declared it was illegal for sugar to remain in storage for more than three days.

The government said it would ease the meat shortage by importing beef from Bolivia before someone pointed out that imports from Bolivia were banned because of threat of foot-and-mouth disease. http://www.ar15.com/images/smilies/anim_lol.gif

Last week, the government announced it was forming a state-run company to buy and sell meat and fish. Previously, Caracas city officials began a crackdown on the tens of thousands of street vendors in a bid to clean up the city and inhibit the informal market.

In the Quinta Crespo market and in the informal stalls that surround it, sugar and tuna were being sold under the table for three times the government-mandated prices, eggs and meat for twice the prescribed prices.

"The government wants all the power, but they can't control how we think. This is a free country," said a street vendor who was selling black beans at twice the regulated price of 45 cents a half-kilo.

Back to the good old days of the bread lines!

tommieharris91
2/11/2007, 02:37 PM
Hugo should take note, especially if crude oil keeps selling the way it is. They're currency may become toilet paper if it becomes any more inflated.

VeeJay
2/11/2007, 03:32 PM
Cindy Sheehan is right! Let's institute communism the world over!

http://plancksconstant.org/blog1/image/cindy-sheehan-defeatist-bitch.jpg

...and lest we forget to add some guiding principles of this successful mastermind:

http://common.regnum.ru/pictures/news/2006-08/20060801-2-big.jpg

Hand over all your private property - NOW. That goes for you, too, Susan Sarandon and George Clooney.

BlondeSoonerGirl
2/11/2007, 03:35 PM
That's the oldest leprechaun I've ever seen...

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
2/11/2007, 03:46 PM
That's the oldest commie-fool leprechaun I've ever seen... Wonder if the bastage is still alive?!

soonerboomer93
2/11/2007, 06:10 PM
he actually died in 1972

apparently cuba makes the finest, most realistic blow up dolls available, but the only one you can get is Fidel

Scott D
2/11/2007, 07:46 PM
but yet some of you have no faith in political survival of the fittest. Wait 18-24 months, and Venezuela will be ripe for a revolution

crawfish
2/11/2007, 08:20 PM
This is actually what Hugo wants. He's gonna drive the public companies out of business, one at a time, and replace them with government institutions that he's in control of.

Clever as a fox, that one.

tommieharris91
2/11/2007, 08:20 PM
but yet some of you have no faith in political survival of the fittest. Wait 18-24 months, and Venezuela will be ripe for a revolution

Aren't they ready right now?

Scott D
2/11/2007, 09:30 PM
Aren't they ready right now?

nah this stage would be the fruit beginning to ripen. His popularity in his own country hinges upon his popularity with the poor. As his policies continue to choke off those whom he's led to believe he's for, and they actually get poorer, they'll turn on him. At that point two things will be the likely outcome. Either, A) there will be a military coup. Or B) there will be a revolution and it will end with Chavez being strung up or shot by a transitional government representing the people.

Okla-homey
2/11/2007, 11:54 PM
Where's Tony Montana when we need him?

I kill communists for fun. For a green card, I cut him up real good.

picasso
2/12/2007, 12:00 AM
he ain't no Red Green.

royalfan5
2/12/2007, 12:03 AM
nah this stage would be the fruit beginning to ripen. His popularity in his own country hinges upon his popularity with the poor. As his policies continue to choke off those whom he's led to believe he's for, and they actually get poorer, they'll turn on him. At that point two things will be the likely outcome. Either, A) there will be a military coup. Or B) there will be a revolution and it will end with Chavez being strung up or shot by a transitional government representing the people.
Mussolini style or Ceasuceau style?

Scott D
2/12/2007, 10:08 AM
I was thinking more like Jorge Eliécer Gaitán style.

SoonerStormchaser
2/12/2007, 10:39 AM
Woo hoo!

I am a capitalist terrorist!

Tear Down This Wall
2/12/2007, 10:42 AM
Ah, 80s style communism in Central and South America again. Where did George H.W. Bush and Bill Clinton's "peace dividend" go? Idiots.

Early to mid 90s liberals and GOP moderates: "Wee-hee, Communism is over, we can ignore the world now!" F'n morons.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
2/12/2007, 12:53 PM
Ah, 80s style communism in Central and South America again. Where did George H.W. Bush and Bill Clinton's "peace dividend" go? Idiots.

Early to mid 90s liberals and GOP moderates: "Wee-hee, Communism is over, we can ignore the world now!" F'n morons.I remember a dim friend of mine talking about the "Peace Dividend", after the Berlin Wall came down. It seemed to me his big concern was gutting the military, and putting that defense money into social programs. I guess I just don't ever think about the US govt. as nanny state. It just is alien to my thinking.