PDA

View Full Version : worth the money

jk the sooner fan
2/11/2007, 12:06 PM
one of my hobbies has been researching my family tree......for a couple of years now i've ignored the dozens of requests i've gotten from ancestry.com to sign up for more than just the "free part" of their website

what paydirt i've hit this morning

1 - great grandfathers world war 1 draft registration card

2 - 1900 census with my great great grandfather's info that list his fathers birthplace as tennessee......which is new because we always thought it was Ohio or Pennsylvania

sooneron
2/11/2007, 12:49 PM
I've always wanted to do a family tree before the older relatives were gone and the family history with them.

the oldest family history that I know of-
http://books.google.com/books?id=0RDc5eNjr-cC&pg=RA1-PA45&lpg=RA1-PA45&dq=ac+%26+jk+allen&source=web&ots=IjORYo0WIz&sig=8ftONB4WxYhm0XTQK9OMpZ3PPHA

jk the sooner fan
2/11/2007, 12:59 PM
do it while you can, trust me

SicEmBaylor
2/11/2007, 01:15 PM
I guess I'm lucky in that my family history is already pretty well researched on both sides. My family kept meticulous track of its comings/goings and my mother and grandmother are big into genealogy. My mom got into when she had to prove her ancestry for the UDC.

Anyway, I know the basic details of my family all the way back to the boat they came to the New World on prior to the Revolution. They keep wanting to trace the rest of the family in Britian prior to that but they aren't sure how to work with British records I think.

Vaevictis
2/11/2007, 01:57 PM
My mother's side is utterly impossible to trace back. The records are basically gone and the names too common.

My father's side is pretty easy. Both of his parents have fairly rare surnames that are easy to trace back to a main branch of the tree, where people have kept meticulous records going back to the 1200s and the 600s (depending on which branch you're tracing).

NYSooner1355
2/11/2007, 02:36 PM
I'm confused...did you sign up for the paid part of ancestry.com?? or did you research it on your own?

I've been wanting to do this for a long time...but not sure the best way to go about it...

sooneron
2/11/2007, 02:44 PM
I'm confused...did you sign up for the paid part of ancestry.com?? or did you research it on your own?

I've been wanting to do this for a long time...but not sure the best way to go about it...
It's still bitter cold up'ere. And yes, I believe that is what was worth the money.

BajaOklahoma
2/11/2007, 03:00 PM
JK, you should check out the main Dallas Library. They have an amazing amount of free information.
And check with the local library. Our library has a link to the Texas State Library and its freebies.

NYSooner1355
2/11/2007, 03:02 PM
It's still bitter cold up'ere. And yes, I believe that is what was worth the money.

cool, I'll check into ancestry.com, I've been thinking about researching my family tree alot lately

btw...it is pretty cold here too...waiting for that nice 70 degree weather in winter OK gets...

I'm actually going to be back up in NY at the end of the month - going up there to do my military duty with the guard...then I may try to transfer down here...

Vaevictis
2/11/2007, 03:08 PM
2 - 1900 census with my great great grandfather's info that list his fathers birthplace as tennessee......which is new because we always thought it was Ohio or Pennsylvania

Wolfensburger? Spurger? Sparger? Spargur?

sooneron
2/11/2007, 03:18 PM
cool, I'll check into ancestry.com, I've been thinking about researching my family tree alot lately

btw...it is pretty cold here too...waiting for that nice 70 degree weather in winter OK gets...

I'm actually going to be back up in NY at the end of the month - going up there to do my military duty with the guard...then I may try to transfer down here...
Good luck. Should be around 40's by then.

jk the sooner fan
2/11/2007, 06:40 PM
NY - yes i signed up for the paid part of ancestry.com

the neat thing was that I was building my paternal grandmothers side of the tree, entered in a name, and it showed me the rest of the tree put in by somebody else....all i had to do was verify the names and accept it to be joined to mine.

my last name has been researched all the way back to the 1600's.....the problem has been that my ggg-grandfather's place of birth and date of birth were unknown and i've been unable to link him into any of the existing tree's.....if i can find that missing link, then my roots are already traced back

Okla-homey
2/11/2007, 07:13 PM
NY - yes i signed up for the paid part of ancestry.com

the neat thing was that I was building my paternal grandmothers side of the tree, entered in a name, and it showed me the rest of the tree put in by somebody else....all i had to do was verify the names and accept it to be joined to mine.

my last name has been researched all the way back to the 1600's.....the problem has been that my ggg-grandfather's place of birth and date of birth were unknown and i've been unable to link him into any of the existing tree's.....if i can find that missing link, then my roots are already traced back

So, if you don't mind, what did that set you back? I might give it a go if it isn't ridiculous. I've got a big hole on my paternal grandmother's side. Mom's side is squared-away...for that, I have my grandmother to thank. I can roll all the way to the "first footers" in America on that side. You can peem me if you want.

Scott D
2/11/2007, 07:49 PM
My aunt used it for awhile that I know of, because she was emailing information to my brother and I about my father's side of the family. We were able to trace records back to what would amount to my great great grandfather, which was impressive because that did go back into the days of slavery in North Carolina.

My mother's side has already been traced back to the mid 1500s in Scotland.

jk the sooner fan
2/11/2007, 07:52 PM
Homey - bout a hundred bucks for a year....i think they also have a 19.95 per month option

SleestakSooner
2/11/2007, 08:20 PM
I guess I'm lucky in that my family history is already pretty well researched on both sides. My family kept meticulous track of its comings/goings and my mother and grandmother are big into genealogy. My mom got into when she had to prove her ancestry for the UDC.

Anyway, I know the basic details of my family all the way back to the boat they came to the New World on prior to the Revolution. They keep wanting to trace the rest of the family in Britian prior to that but they aren't sure how to work with British records I think.

Go on give us a rebel yell SicEm...

UDC • Union for Democratic Communications (http://www.udc.org/) ?

The Universal Decimal Classification (UDC) ?

Which UDC do you mean :confused:

Vaevictis
2/11/2007, 08:52 PM
United Daughters of the Confederation is my guess.

Kinda like the DAR, but for losers. ;)

SicEmBaylor
2/11/2007, 09:54 PM
United Daughters of the Confederacy is my guess.
Fixed....and she's a member of the DAR as well.

Actually, this thread reminds me to call up the UDC HQ in Richmond tomorrow. I'm planning on finally joining the SCV and the MOS&B and it's easier just to have them fax me all the stuff I used to get into the CofC.

In fact, I'm wondering if there is some way to cut out me as the middle man entirely and have them just fax the papers directly to the SCV. That would be preferable as the less work I have to do the better.

TopDaugIn2000
2/11/2007, 10:00 PM
my uncle traced back the "Daniel" side, all the way back to Lady Godiva :D

SicEmBaylor
2/11/2007, 10:34 PM
my uncle traced back the "Daniel" side, all the way back to Lady Godiva :D
Isn't that a "no no" place over on Sheridan in Tulsa?

BajaOklahoma
2/11/2007, 10:44 PM
FWIW, there are people on there who purposely list incorrect info.
Be sure you verify the info before you incorporate it.

Vaevictis
2/11/2007, 10:59 PM
Fixed....and she's a member of the DAR as well.

Actually, this thread reminds me to call up the UDC HQ in Richmond tomorrow. I'm planning on finally joining the SCV and the MOS&B and it's easier just to have them fax me all the stuff I used to get into the CofC.

In fact, I'm wondering if there is some way to cut out me as the middle man entirely and have them just fax the papers directly to the SCV. That would be preferable as the less work I have to do the better.

Bah, bunch of traitors, all. :D