PDA

View Full Version : IU Students

Boffingham
2/10/2007, 07:08 PM
Had a brilliant idea to all (most) wear blue shirts with red ties to the IU/Illinois game. How come nobody at OU (including myself) was ever clever enough to come up with that?

OUstud
2/10/2007, 08:46 PM
The CrimZone did vs. Tech last year. Although they were blue t-shirts with a crimson tie printed on them.

Boffingham
2/10/2007, 11:06 PM
I did not know that. I guess it just always appears that most schools have a better student section they OU has had lately. Even when I was there, the student section was never spectacular

Frozen Sooner
2/10/2007, 11:30 PM
I remember everyone wearing a denim shirt to a game in the mid 90s.

IronSooner
2/11/2007, 01:40 AM
I never noticed it in the 00's. I didn't think of kelvin's krew as anything more than a frat-type group that got slightly closer seats than we did. They certainly weren't any more raucous.

Boffingham
2/11/2007, 09:35 AM
I didn't like Kelvin's Krew. I did like sitting down on the floor where the football recruits now sit.

By the way, to bring up a sore subject again, just because...I was the one that started "...and the home of the Sooners" at the OU vs. UT bball game in 2000, which spread throughout the year and then onto football. I still get chills when I hear it on TV

the_ouskull
2/11/2007, 09:46 AM
I never noticed it in the 00's. I didn't think of kelvin's krew as anything more than a frat-type group that got slightly closer seats than we did. They certainly weren't any more raucous.

Reading this and the quote below it does a lot to tell me youse guys ages...

When Kelvin's Krew first formed (you're welcome) in Kelvin's first year here, we all had tryouts at O'Connell's. Kelvin, Ryan Minor, and a couple of assistants, were the judges. They were all drinking and having a good time, and, believe me, so were the "candidates," myself included. I was the first person to try out and make it. For the first two years, and possibly three (those years are all a lil' blurry...) Kelvin's Krew was awesome... I have a lot of game stories... from the Roy Willams incident, to the kid that we made cry and have to be helped off of the court...

Kelvin's Krew started getting watered-down around the same time that they tried to combine it with the "Spirit Council," which was another way of saying, "kids that want to show school spirit, but they're also p*ssies, so they have to be in a big group to make the noise of one regular student, but, because they're an organization, they're protected and they get great seats..."

For the first season, if you went to O'Connell's before the game with your face painted, you got a free burger, fries, and soda, and your table got (at least one) free pitcher(s). It was verah nice.

the_ouskull

the_ouskull
2/11/2007, 09:47 AM
I didn't like Kelvin's Krew. I did like sitting down on the floor where the football recruits now sit.

By the way, to bring up a sore subject again, just because...I was the one that started "...and the home of the Sooners" at the OU vs. UT bball game in 2000, which spread throughout the year and then onto football. I still get chills when I hear it on TV

You're the one that started that horsesh*t...? Well, thanks a freakin' lot. Way to disrespect the National Anthem. Although really, you were just being creative, I suppose. I should be angry at the herd of sheep that started braying it after you... You may as well not even stand for the anthem if you're going to "doctor" it, IMHO.

the_ouskull

Jello Biafra
2/11/2007, 10:40 AM
You're the one that started that horsesh*t...? Well, thanks a freakin' lot. Way to disrespect the National Anthem. Although really, you were just being creative, I suppose. I should be angry at the herd of sheep that started braying it after you... You may as well not even stand for the anthem if you're going to "doctor" it, IMHO.

the_ouskull

rofl here we go again.....

1stTimeCaller
2/11/2007, 10:42 AM

the_ouskull

what's your opinion of those that don't sing the entire National Anthem?

the_ouskull
2/11/2007, 11:49 AM
If people can't sing, they shouldn't sing any of it. Being reverent and respectful is more than enough. I mean, to me, and I openly admit to this being MY opinion, not the opinion of millions, changing the words; adding "Sooners" to the end of the SSB is the same thing as saying something like, "one Nation, under Dog," during the Pledge of Allegiance... It's disrespectful. I have to get onto kids every single day at school for not at least standing during the PoA. I would think that adults would be a little more respectful than 14/15 year-olds...

Was that the answer that you were trying to trap me in?

the_ouskull

BajaOklahoma
2/11/2007, 11:57 AM
Even when I was there, the student section was never spectacular

Shoulda been born earlier. :D We had a card section one year - though it would have nice if they had chosen their timing better than when the game was in progress.
Of course, we all had better seats back then.

Newbomb Turk
2/11/2007, 12:58 PM

the_ouskull

I'm pretty sure Boffingham is/was in the Air Force - that disrespectful bastard. :rolleyes:

the_ouskull
2/11/2007, 01:32 PM
...and he STILL says "Sooners?" Wow. Just wow.

the_ouskull

birddog
2/11/2007, 05:35 PM
If people can't sing, they shouldn't sing any of it.

the_ouskull

you gotta be kiddin' me. what is wrong with people singing the national anthem?

i think it shows more patriotism to sing the n.a. (and know the words) than it does to sit there quietly because you can't carry a tune like sinatra.

the_ouskull
2/11/2007, 05:57 PM
I was referring more to people like Rosanne and Carl Lewis than some random dude in Row G, man.

the_ouskull

Rhino
2/11/2007, 06:23 PM
By the way, to bring up a sore subject again, just because...I was the one that started "...and the home of the Sooners" at the OU vs. UT bball game in 2000, which spread throughout the year and then onto football. I still get chills when I hear it on TV ...you and the three other people that have told me they started it.

sanantoniosooner
2/11/2007, 06:25 PM
I invented the Big Mac.

Frozen Sooner
2/11/2007, 07:09 PM
you gotta be kiddin' me. what is wrong with people singing the national anthem?

i think it shows more patriotism to sing the n.a. (and know the words) than it does to sit there quietly because you can't carry a tune like sinatra.

Personally, I think it shows more patriotism to stand quietly at attention and reflect on the meaning of the flag than to try to show off how you were in high school choir.

okienole3
2/11/2007, 07:29 PM
One of my favorite things about Capel is that I have yet to see him wear a blue shirt and red tie.

Hey Kelvin, get a new wardrobe. ****, it has been 10 years since it was good luck and that Degree commercial quit running at least 4 years ago.

OUstud
2/11/2007, 07:36 PM
Who did Kelvin's Krew make cry?

the_ouskull
2/11/2007, 11:02 PM
Man, it was some forward for some directional Texas school... I think that their mascot was the roadrunners, but I'm not positive. It was in Kelvin's second season here, I believe. Anyway, the assistant coaches (usually Champagne) would give us a "pre-game pep talk," during which time he'd make sure to let us know anything "interesting" he'd heard about anybody on the opposing team. Well, with this guy, we heard that one of their players had been arrested while he was in high school for murdering a deer...

...as part of a Satanic ritual.

So, come the second half, when he's right in front of us, we had already warned everybody around us that we could, and, when this guy got to the line, it started...

Clap-clap-clapclapclap

"YOU KILLED BAM-BI"

Clap-clap-clapclapclap... Rinse, repeat.

Apparently he had turned his life around and was born-again and all of that stuff... I guess that he thought that nothing would come of it later in his life. Anyway, he started sobbing, and then he had to be helped off of the court. I think he even airballed one of the free throws. It was glorious.

the_ouskull

GottaHavePride
2/11/2007, 11:20 PM
Man, it was some forward for some directional Texas school... I think that their mascot was the roadrunners, but I'm not positive. It was in Kelvin's second season here, I believe. Anyway, the assistant coaches (usually Champagne) would give us a "pre-game pep talk," during which time he'd make sure to let us know anything "interesting" he'd heard about anybody on the opposing team. Well, with this guy, we heard that one of their players had been arrested while he was in high school for murdering a deer...

...as part of a Satanic ritual.

So, come the second half, when he's right in front of us, we had already warned everybody around us that we could, and, when this guy got to the line, it started...

Clap-clap-clapclapclap

"YOU KILLED BAM-BI"

Clap-clap-clapclapclap... Rinse, repeat.

Apparently he had turned his life around and was born-again and all of that stuff... I guess that he thought that nothing would come of it later in his life. Anyway, he started sobbing, and then he had to be helped off of the court. I think he even airballed one of the free throws. It was glorious.

the_ouskull

That's right up there with the "Muoneke's a ******" chant that got on ESPN. I don't think that was Kelvin's Krew, though. I think that one was pre-Kelvin's Krew.

Heck, I don't think they even started the Krew until 2001 or 2002.

Frozen Sooner
2/11/2007, 11:27 PM
Kelvin's Krew was much earlier than 2001 or 2002. In fact, it started in Kelvin's first year. They managed to draw Roy Williams into a technical foul that year.

GottaHavePride
2/11/2007, 11:33 PM
Really? Were there just not any of them during 1999 and 2000, or did they just never have a sign or shirt that mentioned the name of the group?

the_ouskull
2/12/2007, 03:26 PM
We started it in 1994, Kelvin's first year. He went so far as to say, both on and off of the record, that we were in a large way responsible for the team's success at home during his first season. It died out after about 3 years, once all of the "founding fathers" started graduating, and when Kelvin and others stopped being as "hands on" with the group. Those first few years were great though...

...and we only got the Tech on Roy Williams 'cause he though that I had kicked Jerod Hasse. :D MAN that was a great game. I had that tape of me on Sportscenter forever. I just recently got rid of it. (Accidentally taped over it, but wasn't too awfully broken-hearted about it...)

the_ouskull

colleyvillesooner
2/12/2007, 03:30 PM
I invented the Big Mac.

Oh yeah, I was at Wilt's 100 point game.

:D

NormanPride
2/12/2007, 03:44 PM
That's right up there with the "Muoneke's a ******" chant that got on ESPN. I don't think that was Kelvin's Krew, though. I think that one was pre-Kelvin's Krew.

Heck, I don't think they even started the Krew until 2001 or 2002.

That chant is legendary. I didn't watch basketball back then, and I still remember that one. :D

birddog
2/12/2007, 04:19 PM
rapist?

Boffingham
2/12/2007, 09:07 PM
i did start it and it was before i joined the air force. even then i respected the national anthem, but now i respect it even more

Frozen Sooner
2/12/2007, 09:32 PM
We started it in 1994, Kelvin's first year. He went so far as to say, both on and off of the record, that we were in a large way responsible for the team's success at home during his first season. It died out after about 3 years, once all of the "founding fathers" started graduating, and when Kelvin and others stopped being as "hands on" with the group. Those first few years were great though...

...and we only got the Tech on Roy Williams 'cause he though that I had kicked Jerod Hasse. :D MAN that was a great game. I had that tape of me on Sportscenter forever. I just recently got rid of it. (Accidentally taped over it, but wasn't too awfully broken-hearted about it...)

the_ouskull

the_ouskull

Why did I always think it was Mike Fletcher who Roy was jawing at?

GottaHavePride
2/12/2007, 11:57 PM
Really? Were there just not any of them during 1999 and 2000, or did they just never have a sign or shirt that mentioned the name of the group?

Alas, poor Post #19,000. I knew him, Horatio.

the_ouskull
2/13/2007, 10:29 AM
Why did I always think it was Mike Fletcher who Roy was jawing at?

I thought that he was the guy that pushed Jacque Vaughn. I don't know, Mike. It's been (literally) 13 years... At this point, I'd believe just about anything. I mean, someone could tell me that Charles used to take his shirt off and run around the court, raising the roof to the YMCA and I'd buy it. :D

the_ouskull

John Kochtoston
2/22/2007, 07:26 PM
I thought that he was the guy that pushed Jacque Vaughn. I don't know, Mike. It's been (literally) 13 years... At this point, I'd believe just about anything. I mean, someone could tell me that Charles used to take his shirt off and run around the court, raising the roof to the YMCA and I'd buy it. :D

the_ouskull

Way I remember it was that some dood leaned over the high-tech crowd control device OU installed (velvet rope) and pointed at Haase when he slid over by us. Roy though he was being punched/kicked, but Haase came right out and said "Coach, they never touched me." Roy calmed down and was pretty cool about it afterwards (unlike certain other coaches, who can never admit when they are wrong. Hint: it rhymes with "Robby Bite."). He even joked about it with us the next season.

Took his shirt off? No. 61 always stayed right where it belonged, well placed over that Dusty-Rhodes inspired physique. :D

Rock Hard Corn Frog
2/23/2007, 10:35 AM

the_ouskull

I remember that. You did give give Haase an earful. Roy came running all the way from his bench over that way. I'm pretty sure KU was #1 at the time and we beat them. Good times.

poke4christ
2/24/2007, 12:26 AM

And I still get embarased for the state of Oklahoma.

OUstud
2/24/2007, 12:34 AM
That's ironic, OSU embarrasses us too!

afs
2/24/2007, 02:55 AM
i did start it and it was before i joined the air force. even then i respected the national anthem, but now i respect it even more

I'll back up the claim b/c I was at the game w/ Boffingham that night. :texan: