PDA

View Full Version : the rich get richer

Jello Biafra
2/10/2007, 11:57 AM
apparently, Notre Dame and USC had serious insight when they invested in youtube.......

isn't usc a public university? and as a public university can they leagally invest in stuff like this?

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/G/GOOGLE_YOUTUBE?SITE=WFMZ&SECTION=BUSINESS&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2007-02-08-12-32-37

about 3/4 of the way down the page...

The schools sharing in YouTube's fortune include the University of Notre Dame (39,848 Google shares worth $18.8 million) and the University of Southern California (30,901 shares worth $14.6 million).

sanantoniosooner
2/10/2007, 11:58 AM
I thought this was going to be about Peyton getting MVP.;)

Octavian
2/10/2007, 12:01 PM
USC is a private university

Jello Biafra
2/10/2007, 12:01 PM
I thought this was going to be about Peyton getting MVP.;)

*middle finger*

lol

Jello Biafra
2/10/2007, 12:04 PM
USC is a private university

was just asking....i didn't know.

royalfan5
2/10/2007, 12:11 PM
was just asking....i didn't know.
They are a Methodist school. In a lot of places endowment money can be invested in securities and hedgefunds and what not. That's where Okie State is parking T-Boone's money.

AlabamaSooner
2/10/2007, 05:20 PM
They are a Methodist school. In a lot of places endowment money can be invested in securities and hedgefunds and what not. That's where Okie State is parking T-Boone's money.

Methodist? USC? That's news to me. Nothing about that area of the country says Methodist to me.

royalfan5
2/10/2007, 05:57 PM
Methodist? USC? That's news to me. Nothing about that area of the country says Methodist to me.
The Methodists are one of the most liberal denominations, they would fit just fine in California

RiddlerOK
2/10/2007, 10:46 PM
The funny thing about it is that USC is a private school located near downtown L.A., just north of the Watts area while UCLA is a public school located near the end of Sunset Blvd. in Beverly Hills. Go figure!!!

Seamus
2/11/2007, 02:23 AM
They're not a religious school anymore.

According to wikipedia:

Though USC started out as a religious institution, the university is no longer affiliated with the Methodist Church having severed formal ties many decades ago.

IronSooner
2/11/2007, 03:08 AM
Basically like Northwestern. They were the Fighting Methodists back in the day.

CrimsonChampion
2/11/2007, 07:54 PM
The Methodists are one of the most liberal denominations, they would fit just fine in California

They have religion in southern california? heh, you learn something new everyday. :confused:

stoopified
2/14/2007, 11:02 AM
Yeah but we ALL know the bulk of USC's money comes from freelance pharmecutical suppliers(mostly alumni):D.

cvsooner
2/14/2007, 01:18 PM
They have religion in southern california? heh, you learn something new everyday. :confused:

Despite the image, Orange County, Calif., is one of the most conservative religious places on earth. James Dobson was a counselor and pastor there before moving to Colorado, what, about 15 years ago? The Crystal Cathedral is there. The Central Valley (where all the Okies moved west to, as recounted in the Grapes of Wrath) is about as right wing religious as you can get.

Okay, granted, two-thirds of California's population leans to the left, but the other third...oh, man, Bible thumping brimstone-smelling God-fearing serious Protestant Baptist types abound.

The state also has a very large Catholic population, as you might surmise.

soonerjoker
2/15/2007, 10:20 AM
usc area was "probably" very nice when usc was incorporated.

(or whatever colleges do)

cheezyq
2/15/2007, 10:47 AM

LOL. Technically, you can make a religion out of anything you worship. So, I guess it's possible that SoCal residents made a religion out of the things that they worship - sex, plastic surgery, drugs, money, fame, etc.

:D

SoonerJLB
2/15/2007, 01:20 PM

As much as anywhere else and some. At least in Orange County...but in LA they are all debil worshipers, Christian Scientists or Athiests. :) Seriously, I live right down the street from Saddleback Church which is one of largest churches in the Nation (at least by the amount of people that go there and the size of it). The main preacher there is Dr. Rick Warren who is always on TV. Just saying.

http://saddleback.com/flash/default.htm