PDA

View Full Version : OGE Wind Power Option

Vaevictis
2/10/2007, 11:26 AM
We purchase about 1kWh of Wind Power monthly, and have ever since we moved to Norman in 2003.

I just added up how much it cost me to do that for this year. It saved me $121.84 for the year.

Yes, Wind Power actually cost less this year by over $100 for our usage.

It also had a negative cost the previous two years. Sometimes being green pays.

(It also tends to help farmers in our state; they like to lease small plots of land out west to erect the turbines.)

Harry Beanbag
2/10/2007, 12:52 PM
Good for you for going green. Now if we can just get people like Al Gore to do the same.

Then there is the troubling matter of his energy use. In the Washington, D.C., area, utility companies offer wind energy as an alternative to traditional energy. In Nashville, similar programs exist. Utility customers must simply pay a few extra pennies per kilowatt hour, and they can continue living their carbon-neutral lifestyles knowing that they are supporting wind energy. Plenty of businesses and institutions have signed up. Even the Bush administration is using green energy for some federal office buildings, as are thousands of area residents.

But according to public records, there is no evidence that Gore has signed up to use green energy in either of his large residences. When contacted Wednesday, Gore's office confirmed as much but said the Gores were looking into making the switch at both homes. Talk about inconvenient truths.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/opinion/editorials/2006-08-09-gore-green_x.htm

Rhino
2/10/2007, 01:37 PM
It's amazing how some of you will always try to turn every discussion into a political one.

I've checked their website numerous times this past year and always get this message:

Due to overwhelming response to our wind power program, OG&E is currently sold out of wind power and has reached capacity on the waiting list. Therefore, we are not accepting wind power subscriptions at this time. I'll admit, I don't know alot about what's going on with it - what's the hold up? Do they just need to build more turbines? Is it involved in some political battle that someone wants a bigger cut of or wants to tax the hell out of?

KaiserSooner
2/10/2007, 01:41 PM
Rhino, I think they charge by the kilowatt hour, so it just sounds like OG&E's wind power capacity needs to be increased to meet demand.

royalfan5
2/10/2007, 01:47 PM
It's amazing how some of you will always try to turn every discussion into a political one.

I've checked their website numerous times this past year and always get this message:
I'll admit, I don't know alot about what's going on with it - what's the hold up? Do they just need to build more turbines? Is it involved in some political battle that someone wants a bigger cut of or wants to tax the hell out of?
The amount of manufacturing capacity to manufacture wind turbines is very constrained right now. Until that increases, the expansion of wind energy can only go as fast as the turbines can be manufactured.

SicEmBaylor
2/10/2007, 02:17 PM
There used to be a family with a place between Fort Gibson and Tahlequah who had their own wind generator and from what I understand they generated enough energy to sell some of their excess to OG&E but don't take that to the bank...just something I heard.

I do know for sure they have a wind generator, but not sure if they generated enough to sell some to OG&E.

Harry Beanbag
2/10/2007, 02:18 PM

Environmentalism and energy conservation aren't political issues? They are and they always have been.

Personally, I think the alternative energy source should be a much higher priority than it currently is.

SicEmBaylor
2/10/2007, 02:20 PM
I support alternative energy on the grounds of national security. I would support a Manhattan Project sized effort to find a solution.

Vaevictis
2/10/2007, 02:24 PM
I support alternative energy on the grounds of national security. I would support a Manhattan Project sized effort to find a solution.

Alternative energy isn't going to make serious inroads until it's cheaper than oil.

I was just pointing out that, for this year at least, wind power from OG&E has been cheaper than their traditional oil/gas/whatever they normally use power, so it might be something worth looking into.

I will say the last few months were only a very small negative amount, so we may be crossing over into it costing more. (oil's been down compared to the previous year)

SoonerTerry
2/10/2007, 07:36 PM
You had me at "Erect"

walkoffsooner
2/10/2007, 08:16 PM
There has to be tax breaks to construct wind turbins. About the same time they make enough power to pay for one. There due for an overhaul.

King Crimson
2/10/2007, 08:21 PM
Alternative energy isn't going to make serious inroads until it's cheaper than oil.

I was just pointing out that, for this year at least, wind power from OG&E has been cheaper than their traditional oil/gas/whatever they normally use power, so it might be something worth looking into.

I will say the last few months were only a very small negative amount, so we may be crossing over into it costing more. (oil's been down compared to the previous year)

of course, we'd be 25 years ahead of where we are now in alternative fuels research if Reagan hadn't slashed the DOE in the early 80's. until the petroleum economy doesn't make the rich people rich, forget about it.

1stTimeCaller
2/10/2007, 10:48 PM
request natural gas as your electric power source.

my dog needs to keep a roof over her head and wheels under her house.

thanks

bluedogok
2/10/2007, 11:05 PM
There is a company based in Norman that specializes in small windpower turbines and systems. Bergey Windpower Co. (http://www.bergey.com/)

If we don't try to develop alternatives now even though the cost may be higher, we may not have to worry about having power in the future.

OklahomaTuba
2/11/2007, 01:23 AM
of course, we'd be 25 years ahead of where we are now in alternative fuels research if Reagan hadn't slashed the DOE in the early 80's. until the petroleum economy doesn't make the rich people rich, forget about it.

Of course, its all Reagan's fault.

Never mind the dims had control of congress then. You know, the branch that actually passes the budget.

:rolleyes:

SleestakSooner
2/11/2007, 01:52 AM

Never mind the dims had control of congress then. You know, the branch that actually passes the budget.

:rolleyes:

By that thinking GW should have been able to do all the right things in his first four years. Who are you are going to blame for his mistakes?

On another note, what the hell are dims and donks?

You know if you were to show a tiny bit of respect you might find you actually get some. Not that you care, but if people respect what you say they might listen and come to understand you better.

:twinkies: for thought.

OklahomaTuba
2/11/2007, 02:45 AM
By that thinking GW should have been able to do all the right things in his first four years. Who are you are going to blame for his mistakes?

:confused:

I think you will have to explain that one to me.

On another note, what the hell are dims and donks?

You know if you were to show a tiny bit of respect you might find you actually get some. Not that you care, but if people respect what you say they might listen and come to understand you better.

Respect? Here???

If you are looking for respect, try somewhere else. I wouldn't be relying on the net to make myself feel respected if I were you.

OklahomaTuba
2/11/2007, 03:02 AM

Showing respect like this???

It takes a lot of hot air and a puckered sphincter to play the tuba doesn't it? You really should save some of that air to supply oxegen to those wayward brain cells.

1stTimeCaller
2/11/2007, 07:26 AM
well, he does have a point

about playing the tuba. ;)

OUAndy1807
2/11/2007, 10:03 AM
well, he does have a point

about playing the tuba. ;)
no he doesn't

1stTimeCaller
2/11/2007, 10:25 AM
yes he does.

SoonerTerry
2/11/2007, 02:28 PM
:twinkies: is fer makin turds

King Crimson
2/11/2007, 03:37 PM

http://www.answers.com/topic/department-of-energy

The Reagan and Bush era. Early in his first term, Ronald Reagan sought to abolish the DOE. He cut hundreds of positions from enforcement divisions of the agency. Reagan's abolition attempt failed in Congress when a General Accounting Office study revealed that abolition of the DOE would not save any money. Reagan was still able to change the function significantly. The Reagan-era DOE placed a much stronger focus on nuclear weapons production, nuclear energy, and fossil fuels. The Reagan administration cut DOE funding for renewable energy and conservation programs by as much as 80 percent, while it pledged to speed the licensing process of new nuclear power plants. The Reagan-era DOE deregulated the gasoline market. Between 1981 and 1989 the DOE dramatically expanded its weapons production and testing activities. During the previous decade nuclear weapons had been tested once every two years. In the 1980s three nuclear tests were conducted each year. The DOE also began preparations to store high-level nuclear waste at Yucca Mountain, Nevada.

During Reagan's tenure a DOE official was convicted of accepting bribes to pass on internal documents to oil industry officials. The DOE illegally provided a $550,000 grant to a contractor to aid in a lobbying effort against Congressional attempts to constrain nuclear testing. Independent investigations by the GAO and other agencies found the DOE lacking in both security and safety measures.

President George H. Bush vowed to improve the safety and environmental record of the DOE. His agency initiated research projects on acid rain and global warming. The weapons labs oversaw the development of nuclear testing methods that did not require atmospheric or underground detonations. Nuclear weapons production fell significantly as the Cold War concluded.