PDA

View Full Version : Musical performing type persons...

Okla-homey
2/10/2007, 10:38 AM
This was posted on the other board I frequent. Re: stage moms. I thought you might enjoy it.

For the next few Fridays the Eastman School will be holding audtions for their Undergraduate, Graduate and Doctoral programs. Basically, the place is knee deep in jittery musicians from all over the world. Every nook and cranny holds some sweating player feverishly practicing or trying desperatley to calm down before they step into the hotbox. There are a limited number of places in each program so competion is pretty fierce.

This afternoon, I was helping some of our guys set up the big studio for a conducting class. In one corner a skinny dude from Ohio was thumping on a bass. In the other corner a gal was sawing away on a cello. At one point this blonde girl walks in, breaks out a cello and starts practicing in another corner. Meanwhile, we're trying to set up chairs and music stands without making a major racket. In walks the blonde girls mother. She speaks with her daughter for a few minutes and then waltzes over to the Steinway concert grand that is parked near the first girl and proceeds to pound out some kind of Wyndham Hill type crap. She does this until the first girl gets disgusted, packs her cello and marches out to find a quiet spot. Then the mother goes and sits quietly while her precious baby practices.

At one point they stressed to us the importance of not getting into conflict with the students, especially the high-strung ones. I suppose this means their parents as well. It's too bad 'cause I really wanted to walk up to this gal while she was playing and say something on the order of "Excuse me but do you think you could stop being such a f-----' b---h for a moment?"