PDA

View Full Version : WTF is VY IN the Pro Bowl?

stoopified
2/10/2007, 10:27 AM
His list of NFL accomplishments include :
26th in passing yards(2199)
26th in TD passes (12 compared to 13INTS)
31st in completion %(51.5%)
25th in 1st downs passing
The guy is at best a journeyman qb and he IS IN THE pro Bowl?
I can only conclude he is getting the same STAR treatment in the NFL he got at UT(which was undeserved until his senior year).Politics are obviously being played here as his VY's game CLEARLY IS NOT ALL-PRO.

GrapevineSooner
2/10/2007, 10:33 AM
Oh jeez.

I'm guessing you didn't watch ANY Titans games this year.

stoopified
2/10/2007, 10:41 AM
Oh jeez.

I'm guessing you didn't watch ANY Titans games this year.
Yes I did which one of the reasons I asked the question.Titans won with defense and running game with a sprinkling of special teams .For the most part they went 8-5 in his 13 starts IN SPITE OF HIM not because of him.I suppose you think Vick is an all-pro QB too?Look at the teams,games and stats.Neither are all-pro caliber qbs despite the fact THEY ARE GREAT ATHLETES.

North Dakota Sooner
2/10/2007, 04:30 PM
Yeah and Tom Brady gets left out...confusing

OU-HSV
2/10/2007, 04:50 PM
Wow..just stupid

Indy Sooner
2/10/2007, 05:12 PM

Not really. Tom would rather play golf this weekend.

snp
2/10/2007, 05:45 PM
I can only conclude he is getting the same STAR treatment in the NFL he got at UT(which was undeserved until his senior year).Politics are obviously being played here as his VY's game CLEARLY IS NOT ALL-PRO.

He didn't play his senior year. I don't understand what star treatment you are referring to. Maybe because he was one of the most exciting and amicable figures in NCAA in a while.

This is a bad thread.

footballfanatic
2/10/2007, 05:54 PM
You can't rate VY's impact by his stats. That's just ignorant. His contributions were tenfold. He played for a really crummy team, and he had to learn on the job. I guess he did okay, engineering FOUR fourth quarter comebacks. Guess you missed his game-winnning overtime scramble against Houston. Guess you missed his drives in the second half, or the amazing come from way-back win against the Giants. Oh yes, he BEAT and nearly beat the Super Bowl champs, scrmabling for a TD in a 14-13 loss. And if he could have beat Patriots (his offense scored 24 points), he would have taken the team to the playoffs. Of course, he was rookie of the year as a QB, an almost unheard-of-feat. And please don't compare him to Michael Vick--VY is a college championship QB, and he will win it all in the pros. He is the consummate pro, dedicated to the team, who inspires players to play above his ability. But wait--we don't have to have to debate--he's in the pro bowl, so I gues just few people agree with me. Or perhaps you still insist JW was better.

KC//CRIMSON
2/10/2007, 06:29 PM
You can't rate VY's impact by his stats. That's just ignorant. His contributions were tenfold. He played for a really crummy team, and he had to learn on the job. I guess he did okay, engineering FOUR fourth quarter comebacks. Guess you missed his game-winnning overtime scramble against Houston. Guess you missed his drives in the second half, or the amazing come from way-back win against the Giants. Oh yes, he BEAT and nearly beat the Super Bowl champs, scrmabling for a TD in a 14-13 loss. And if he could have beat Patriots (his offense scored 24 points), he would have taken the team to the playoffs. Of course, he was rookie of the year as a QB, an almost unheard-of-feat. And please don't compare him to Michael Vick--VY is a college championship QB, and he will win it all in the pros. He is the consummate pro, dedicated to the team, who inspires players to play above his ability. But wait--we don't have to have to debate--he's in the pro bowl, so I gues just few people agree with me. Or perhaps you still insist JW was better.

Guess you missed this is a SOONER board and nobody gives a *hit.

starrca23
2/10/2007, 06:32 PM
Does anyone care?

sooner94
2/10/2007, 06:58 PM
VY definitely deserves props, and Rookie of the Year, for what he did this year. He carried his team at the end of several games this year. He's unconventional, but he gets the job done. I think he's better than Vick when he was a rook, and will be a better QB as his career goes on.

But no way he should get into the Prow Bowl over Brady. The Pats were 12-4 (7-1 on the road), with the a couple of new receivers and an aging Dillon (Maroney did look good though). How a 3-time Super Bowl QB continues to underrated, I will never know.

stoopified
2/10/2007, 07:17 PM
He didn't play his senior year. I don't understand what star treatment you are referring to. Maybe because he was one of the most exciting and amicable figures in NCAA in a while.

This is a bad thread.Obviously I misspoke,it was his last year when he was a junmior.Everyone was gaga over the guy talking about how great he was ( announcers,Horn fans,some reporters )but until his JUNIOR campaign he was a great athelete playing mediocre QB,That term iMHO befitted him this year as well.To give him his due he DID make a FEW great plays this year to pull out games.The games were close enough because of the defense and running game for those few late game plays to pull a couple of games out.If you don't understand the overhype VY got in college then you didn't spend much time on this board during his career at UT.IMHO VY WILL NEVER be more than an average NFL qb.

GrapevineSooner
2/10/2007, 07:22 PM
Does anyone care?
Somebody was willing to start a thread on this topic.

So you tell me.

Sooner_Bob
2/10/2007, 07:24 PM
The Titans won inspite of VY?

Wow.

XingTheRubicon
2/10/2007, 07:28 PM
His stats weren't great, but he did win. He also played pretty well in the 4th quarter after struggling early in a lot of games, which tells me he's learning and improving. Having said that, his passing skills still suck and he has just as many playoff wins as I do. In 2010, we'll still be tied.

snp
2/10/2007, 09:24 PM
Obviously I misspoke,it was his last year when he was a junmior.Everyone was gaga over the guy talking about how great he was ( announcers,Horn fans,some reporters )but until his JUNIOR campaign he was a great athelete playing mediocre QB,That term iMHO befitted him this year as well.To give him his due he DID make a FEW great plays this year to pull out games.The games were close enough because of the defense and running game for those few late game plays to pull a couple of games out.If you don't understand the overhype VY got in college then you didn't spend much time on this board during his career at UT.IMHO VY WILL NEVER be more than an average NFL qb.

The real hype started right around he destroyed Michigan. And rightly so he had an awesome JR year. Throwing for 3000 and rushing for 1000 is damn impressive. I sure as hell wish we could've had him this year or my dumb Texans would've drafted him.

85sooners
2/10/2007, 09:42 PM
:eek:

bixby28
2/10/2007, 10:29 PM
VY's passing skills sure surfaced today. One interception and then he turns the ball over on a fumbled snap. He shouldn't have been in the game in the first place.

Yeah, he's Pro Bowl material, alright.

GrapevineSooner
2/10/2007, 10:46 PM
Yes, the fact he didn't have a particularly great game means he's not cut of for greatness in the NFL. :rolleyes:

trwxxa
2/10/2007, 10:56 PM

I don't recall JW getting shutout in the RRS. :rolleyes:

It is funny how the NFL refuses to acknowledge how many other QBs turned down the offer before they got to VY. Don't get me wrong, he did alot of good things and helped get the tits to 8-8, but this proves the Pro Bowl is not what it used to be.

elderlysooner
2/11/2007, 12:33 AM
The real hype started right around he destroyed Michigan. And rightly so he had an awesome JR year. Throwing for 3000 and rushing for 1000 is damn impressive. I sure as hell wish we could've had him this year or my dumb Texans would've drafted him.
VY iis no David Carr.

utex74
2/11/2007, 12:59 AM

Tom Brady turned it down to play golf. Leaving the door open for Vince.

Readyfor8
2/11/2007, 01:10 AM
Vince Young had a great rookie year, and in my opinion should probably be rookie of the year. However he did not have a Pro Bowl quality season, not unless many of you think Brett Farve should be in the Pro Bowl.

Ok so hes not in the AFC, will anyone on this site say that Phillip Rivers isn't a better pic this year over Vince Young? Does Vince Young have potential? Absolutely but if he wasn't playing for the Titans this year, he would have been playing the same position he played today for all 16 regular season games: Backup Quarterback.

Not because he's bad, because he's a rookie.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
2/11/2007, 01:11 AM
Guess you missed this is a SOONER board and nobody gives a *hit. Is it no whorn tues, yet? Well, it should be.

stoopified
2/11/2007, 12:17 PM
VY's passing skills sure surfaced today. One interception and then he turns the ball over on a fumbled snap. He shouldn't have been in the game in the first place.

Yeah, he's Pro Bowl material, alright.Bingo!

sooneron
2/11/2007, 12:44 PM
He DID have an astounding qb rating of 66.7 this year.
Was Rivers not playing in the pro bowl?

snp
2/11/2007, 01:27 PM
I think some of you are missing the big picture...It's the pro-bowl, the players don't even care about it so why should we.

sdsooner
2/12/2007, 12:04 AM
Exactly Ninja, the Pro Bowl is a joke, not an all-star game. Shoot, if you made a team out of the guys who choose NOT to play, they would stomp both the AFC and NFC teams that ARE there.

GottaHavePride
2/12/2007, 12:28 AM
Guess you missed this is a SOONER board and nobody gives a *hit.

Yes. And this is an NFL thread, which SHOULD be over in "General Sports".

bri
2/12/2007, 12:51 AM
They had to let him play. Retards are covered by the Americans With Disabilities Act.

2/12/2007, 12:56 AM
They had to let him play. Retards are covered by the Americans With Disabilities Act.With the above quote, the only reason you might have for not banning yourself is that you are talking about a whorn.

GottaHavePride
2/12/2007, 01:10 AM
With the above quote, the only reason you might have for not banning yourself is that you are talking about a whorn.

I can think of a second reason. He can't ban anyone anymore. He retired from the moddy business.

bri
2/12/2007, 01:12 AM
Dude, not facts! That's like Kryptonite to him!

2/12/2007, 02:04 AM
Dude, not facts! That's like Kryptonite to him!With all due appreciation, how the heck am I supposed to know you're not a mod anymore, or did I overlook your PM?

bri
2/12/2007, 11:18 AM
Well, because I don't have a gigantic mod star any more?

It's called "pulling your head out of Rush Limbaugh's ***". Look into it.

Tear Down This Wall
2/12/2007, 11:18 AM
People, people, people...

You've mistaken the NFL for a league that is concerned with the quality of it's product. What the NFL wants is to sell jerseys and other licensed crap that puts money in their pockets. I said last year that Uncle Rico would perform poorly, but that the NFL would sell him. They've been doing it for years with Michael Vick.

Watching an NFL game, I am often reminded of Johnny Rotten's taunt to Sex Pistol's fans, "Ever get the feeling you've been cheated?"

Salt City Sooner
2/12/2007, 11:34 AM
Tom Brady turned it down to play golf. Leaving the door open for McNair, who also turned it down, leaving the door open for Vince.

Fixed.

sehc
2/12/2007, 10:05 PM
I think Vince Young can be something special even though Im not a TExas football fan at all. Imagine if we were in the 1940s and Vince Young were a Single Wing Tailback, he would be incredible. We run that offense when Im coaching football and love it. Arkansas and Florida ran a bit of it this year.
http://winningyouthfootball.com

utex74
2/12/2007, 10:18 PM
Fixed.

Correct. McNair did turn it down so Vince could go. Like someone said, it is not an all-star game. They play hard but none of them cares who wins. It's just a fun week for them.

goingoneight
2/12/2007, 10:59 PM
Vince Young had a great rookie year, and in my opinion should probably be rookie of the year. However he did not have a Pro Bowl quality season, not unless many of you think Brett Farve should be in the Pro Bowl.

Ok so hes not in the AFC, will anyone on this site say that Phillip Rivers isn't a better pic this year over Vince Young? Does Vince Young have potential? Absolutely but if he wasn't playing for the Titans this year, he would have been playing the same position he played today for all 16 regular season games: Backup Quarterback.

Not because he's bad, because he's a rookie.

Spot on. That is all.

SoonerTerry
2/14/2007, 07:02 AM
I think his best talent is his leadership ability,.. the dude is calm under fire... kinda like someone we all (most of us) gave generous portions of man-love to this year.

My whorn hate is not so severe that I can't be objective about the guy's tallents.

bixby28
2/14/2007, 07:33 AM
I have no doubt that he is a leader. His senior season at UT was pretty phenomenal, but i can't understand how a QB with the lowest passer rating in the NFL ends up in the Pro Bowl.

stoopified
2/14/2007, 10:55 AM
He DID have an astounding qb rating of 66.7 :Dthis year.
Was Rivers not playing in the pro bowl?Fixed it for ya.In the NFL it is all about QBs who can pass and VY isn't good enough at that.

RedstickSooner
2/16/2007, 01:58 PM

Blah blah blah stats aren't everything blah blah blah shows great heart blah blah blah leader of his team blah blah blah you must not watch him enough blah blah blah.

It's the N-fudging-F-fudging-L, you idjits. Stats are EVERYTHING. There is NOTHING more important than stats in the NFL -- and this clown got into the pro bowl in SPITE of being an absolutely middle-of-the-road QB from a statistical standpoint.

If you're going for being a "leader", or whatever, why didn't Giant Ben get in after his rookie season? Dude comes in as a rookie and not only plays well - he has, like, what, 1 loss?

A QB from a mediocre team, with mediocre numbers, should NEVER be invited to the pro bowl. Particularly when his biggest "highlight" is a play where he should've & would've been down if QB-nazi officiating policies hadn't made a defender treat him like he was the cancer kid running a just-for-fun snap.

insuranceman_22
2/16/2007, 11:44 PM
VY was solid this year. I know his stats weren't the greatest, but did you watch the games. His was the man in 4th quarter on several occassions. I am having a lot of difficulty taking up for a former whorne, but VY exceeded expectation this year & the guy is simply a winner......damn it, it really hurts to say that about him!!!!

RedstickSooner
2/17/2007, 12:14 AM
VY was solid this year. I know his stats weren't the greatest, but did you watch the games. His was the man in 4th quarter on several occassions. I am having a lot of difficulty taking up for a former whorne, but VY exceeded expectation this year & the guy is simply a winner......damn it, it really hurts to say that about him!!!!

I agree, actually, although only partly. Dude *completely* exceeded expectations -- but that's because there was a *lot* of talk leading up to the draft that he wouldn't have what it took to be an NFL quarterback.

In fact, it seems to me that this "exceeded expectation" is absolutely why he got invited to the Pro Bowl, and that fact offends me to no end. Because what got him invited isn't that he was good in an absolute sense -- it's that he didn't turn out to be some kind of retarded, short-bus man-child, and the NFL is therefore grading him on the curve.

After his Wunderlic (did I even spell that right?) fiasco, some people wondered if he was bright enough to tie his own shoelaces, let alone run an NFL offense & read NFL defenses. The fact that he didn't fall flat on his face meant he was an ENORMOUS success.... for a Vince Young.

Players should get graded against each other, not themselves. It's almost like the reverse happened to Tom Brady -- his team wasn't as good this season, and he didn't manage to carry them entirely by himself -- so, therefore, he wasn't good enough to be invited to the Pro Bowl. However, can any rational human being really claim that they'd rather have Young than Brady?

They said at the Pro Bowl that Vince Young was the first rookie to be invited since, like, Marino. His invitation was bovine scat, plain and simple.

And for all this fourth quarter quap, I have one thing to say:

You don't have to be Mr. Fourth Quarter if you do your effing job the first three.

insuranceman_22
2/17/2007, 12:28 AM
Your arguement was very well stated. Don't under any circumstance's think I'm saying VY was better.....no, as good....no, even belongs in the same sentence as Brady. He doesn't and probably never will. You're also right on the money about the expectation thing to a degree. We hear every draft year that a rookie QB is not ready for the NFL. VY did poorly on Wunderlic (i used you spelling, I don't know either), but they say that about every QB drafted, period. VY played extensively for a rookie & had a winning starting record. As for the quote on doing his job in the first 3 quarters, your right, but somehow this cat has a sense for the stage. It seems like anyway. He plays better when it counts the most. Anyway, that's all the praising I can possible give a former whoren......I'm done.