PDA

View Full Version : Opinionated answer of course... but a question to all...

goingoneight
2/10/2007, 12:17 AM
In 2001... AND IN 2002, both Jason (trophy) White and N8 the Great were in QB competition right down to the wire. Stoops was never afraid to put either of them in at even the slightest speculation of the other being tired or injured. A two-QB system, if you will. Both guys managed Magino/Long's offense effectively, as evident by the BCS MVP trophy and the Heisman itself in 2003.
In 2005, PmfT and Brent Rawlmar both went into the preseason as the favorites. We had other guys on staff, but everyone expected either PmfT or The Idiot. It's not like we had three Heismans waiting in the stable. You had an experienced guy, and a hyped recruit. When we opened against TCU, we knew PmfT was gonna open the season as the designated starter. Naturally, when you running game gets shut down, you had to throw the ball. PT had a sloppy game, we all remember, he wasn't the only one, but much the same situation as the 2001-2002 fisaco, Stoops never sneezed at the oppurtunity to let BRSI in. Rhomar didn't do so hott either, but he showed natuarl QB skills that PmfT, for the most part, didn't on that particular day.

I wrote all that to ask you this... I know Stoops likes to have a "designated starter," but in the wake of Jason White's unfortunate knee injuries, AD's injuries, etc... he knows that whomever starts, may not finish. Do you think we see anything like the earlier parts of 2001 and 2002 this season with a two-QB system until one guy stands up and takes the cake? I mean, Miami is gonna be a game for sure, but there's no harm in at least trying both guys (your #1 and #2 guys) under center against the likes of North Tejas and Utah State, right? And you never know who may pioneer your team to a big victory ala Jason White RRS 2001. Remember Roy and the defense was stout that day, but J-dub was the guy who kept OUr team fighting when he stepped in and stepped up.

Kinda like, say... Halzle is decent under center, but gets the wind knocked outta him against Tejas... so homeboy Bradford comes in and helps the team either take the lead or win.

I'm not saying split the snaps 50/50 to make the parents happy, I'm saying, utilize your talent at OL, RB and WR while analyzing which guy, on the field, is the better candidate for the job. It seems to me we've done this twice, and it turned out alright in the end there...

I'll take your answer off the air... :D

boomersooner28
2/10/2007, 03:54 AM
Whew. Ok, first off, thats why Mr. Stoops gets paid the big bucks, because he has to make these decisions. This Spring is gonna be very interesting. We're gonna have to see where all 3 QB's (Nichol, Bradford, and Halze) are. Those 3 will get to compete it out on the field and in the clubhouse (leadership). The one thing all have going for them is the presence of a legit offensive line, whereas we didn't know where would be coming into last year, although it turned out nicely. We also have a very capable stable of RB's. Who knows, Stoopsie might play more than one QB when it gets to gametime, hell he might play all three. I'm all for doing whatever gives the team the best shot at winning.

SleestakSooner
2/10/2007, 04:16 AM
I was wondering why you have so many posts and are still in the red... now I know.

You pick one starter, that is why they call them starters, it's like Highlander, there can be only one. You make damn sure the backups are ready just in case.

I wouldn't mind at all seeing the second stringers in when the games are in hand but a QB controversy is the last thing the team needs.

OSUAggie
2/10/2007, 09:29 AM
I quit reading after "N8 the Great."

stoopified
2/10/2007, 11:01 AM
I quit reading after "N8 the Great.":)

yermom
2/10/2007, 11:13 AM
the race in 2001 was close, and N8 ended up winning, but in the Texass game he gets hurt. JW comes in and kicks *** and we win the game, and takes the starting job. he gets hurt against Nebraska, N8 takes over for the rest of the season, and underwhelms us with his ability to take sacks or fall down on trick plays, but still manages to only lose 1 game as a starter.

in 2002 JW gets the nod again, but after a game and a half, blows out another knee, and we are left with N8 the Great again. he comes in, leads us in a come behind win against Alabama and has a much better season than he did the previous year

that isn't exactly a 2 QB system. it was also Stoops' first experience with this as a head coach, he had Heupel his first two years. i'm guessing he's still learning how to deal with multiple talented QBs

Texas Golfer
2/10/2007, 11:30 AM
What do you say that we leave the coaching to the coaches and the complaining to the fans?

fadada1
2/10/2007, 12:54 PM
I quit reading after sheep were left out of the conversation.

nate hybl... rose bowl winner

any osu q-back... i got nuthin'

Stitch Face
2/10/2007, 01:20 PM
This thread deserves some neg for containing a Highlander reference and the word "Stoopsie."

goingoneight
2/11/2007, 11:13 PM
I was wondering why you have so many posts and are still in the red... now I know.

You pick one starter, that is why they call them starters, it's like Highlander, there can be only one. You make damn sure the backups are ready just in case.

I wouldn't mind at all seeing the second stringers in when the games are in hand but a QB controversy is the last thing the team needs.

You're joking right?
I was wondering who negspekked me, now I KNOW. :rolleyes:

Read again dude. I didn't say switch them out like you would WR's or backs. And I didn't say flip a coin to decide who starts, either.

You think Michigan would have benched Tom Brady today just because he's not necessarily a practice warrior? Sure, guys will get the nod to start, but I can tell you there were thousands of Sooner faithful booing PmfT when he checked out against TCU, those same folks who now buy #12's jersey and BIG 12 Championship stuff.

I don't think it's unheard of, and I don't think we'd run it any more than three games at most until someone shines enough to get the nod. And alas, I point to the title of the thread, which says "opinionated answer."

P.S. The redspek will go away soon, it was a joke amongst board members who negged me for "posting under the influence." Search: "If you decide to negspek me again"

goingoneight
2/11/2007, 11:20 PM
I quit reading after "N8 the Great."

Ask Josh Fields how batting practice is working out for him, okay?

SleestakSooner
2/11/2007, 11:48 PM
You're joking right?

Read again dude. I didn't say switch them out like you would WR's or backs. And I didn't say flip a coin to decide who starts, either.

You think Michigan would have benched Tom Brady today just because he's not necessarily a practice warrior? Sure, guys will get the nod to start, but I can tell you there were thousands of Sooner faithful booing PmfT when he checked out against TCU, those same folks who now buy #12's jersey and BIG 12 Championship stuff.

I don't think it's unheard of, and I don't think we'd run it any more than three games at most until someone shines enough to get the nod. And alas, I point to the title of the thread, which says "opinionated answer."

P.S. The redspek will go away soon, it was a joke amongst board members who negged me for "posting under the influence." Search: "If you decide to negspek me again"

Ummm dood, I didn't neg spek you. I just gave my opinion of your opinion. If I would have negged you it would be for making it so hard to read your opinion. :rolleyes:

CrimsonChampion
2/11/2007, 11:51 PM
They guy just wants opinions on the QB competition. This is a message board for discussion.....isn't it?????

Readyfor8
2/12/2007, 05:42 AM
This thread deserves some neg for containing a Highlander reference and the word "Stoopsie."

Wow, I have to agree with the above. Now if they could have compared Pete Carroll, Mack Brown, Les Miles, and Charlie Weis to Golden Girls that would be an awesome thread. By the way you totally know Les Miles is Blanche, cause he is a total slut!

OSUAggie
2/12/2007, 08:57 AM
Ask Josh Fields how batting practice is working out for him, okay?

What's "N8 the Great" up to these days? Josh Fields beat "N8 the Great's" ***. Twice. Now he's a professional athlete. If you're gonna make fun of OSU QB's, you should pick a better target than Fields (Tone Jones, Tony Pounds, Craig Strickland, Ronnie Williams, Tony Lindsay, Chris Chaloupka or Aso Pogi would be solid starts). There are many from which to choose, but Fields isn't one of them.

oumartin
2/12/2007, 09:06 AM
N8 was a very good qb. At least he is at least still drawing a check by playing.

MiccoMacey
2/12/2007, 10:15 AM
What's "N8 the Great" up to these days? Josh Fields beat "N8 the Great's" ***. Twice. Now he's a professional athlete. If you're gonna make fun of OSU QB's, you should pick a better target than Fields (Tone Jones, Tony Pounds, Craig Strickland, Ronnie Williams, Tony Lindsay, Chris Chaloupka or Aso Pogi would be solid starts). There are many from which to choose, but Fields isn't one of them.

1) Josh Fields is a great athlete.

2) N8 is a great athlete as well (albeit football may not be his best sport...I'd be willing to wager he'd beat just about everyone on this board in any game...golf, basketball, or even a punt/pass/kick competition).

3) Josh Fields is a professional athlete.

4) N8 is a professional athlete as well.

5) Josh beat Nate head to head twice, so he might have used a better player, perhaps one you suggested.

6) N8 had about 150x more success than Josh in football (BCS bowl MVP to Cotton Bowl loser...played in the NFL versus not playing in the NFL).

I'm the biggest OSU supporter on this board, but it's not a bad argument for Nate against Josh in football. Other than head to head (which I think is not a great way to measure two players of the same position since they don't play each other "head to head"), N8 beats him in overall success.

Gandalf_The_Grey
2/12/2007, 10:20 AM
You're joking right?

Actually Michigan did bench Brady quite often ;)

MiccoMacey
2/12/2007, 10:22 AM
But getting back to the topic at hand...

If you have two quarterbacks, you have none.

While I agree I'd like to see Bob sit starters earlier when a game is won easily, thereby getting non-starters some game experience, there's a negative to that as well.

Players only get so many reps in a game (and afterall, practice reps aren't NEARLY the same as actual game reps). Pulling them, even in a blowout, takes away reps from starters who need them.

I'd imagine his tactic is to get as many reps to starters as he can, and believe he can coach someone up (afterall, don't we recruit ridiculously incredible athletes) if/when a starter goes down.

sanantoniosooner
2/12/2007, 10:23 AM
I didn't get the memo we were supposed to stop:confused:

;)

MiccoMacey
2/12/2007, 10:25 AM
Memo dated sometime this year:

To all concerenced,

It is now okay to stop negging goingforeight, if he ever stops posting under the influence.

Sincerely,
Posters Anonymous

fwsooner22
2/12/2007, 10:33 AM
Always love the off-season............That glorious time when fans turn on each other instead of this weeks opponent, last weeks opponent or their own team.

MiccoMacey
2/12/2007, 10:37 AM
^^^

Shut up.

:D

Scott D
2/12/2007, 11:04 AM
You're joking right?

Michigan regularly took Tom Brady out so that wunderkid Drew Henson could get about half the game reps every week. Brady's best year was the year after Henson decided to leave college to try and become a baseball player.

wishbonesooner
2/12/2007, 02:52 PM
"What's "N8 the Great" up to these days? Josh Fields beat "N8 the Great's" ***. Twice. Now he's a professional athlete. If you're gonna make fun of OSU QB's, you should pick a better target than Fields (Tone Jones, Tony Pounds, Craig Strickland, Ronnie Williams, Tony Lindsay, Chris Chaloupka or Aso Pogi would be solid starts). There are many from which to choose, but Fields isn't one of them.

goingoneight
2/12/2007, 11:01 PM
They guy just wants opinions on the QB competition. This is a message board for discussion.....isn't it?????

Of course not... :D

goingoneight
2/12/2007, 11:02 PM
Memo dated sometime this year:

To all concerenced,

It is now okay to stop negging goingforeight, if he ever stops posting under the influence.

Sincerely,
Posters Anonymous

Negspek fo' life! :D

goingoneight
2/12/2007, 11:06 PM
"What's "N8 the Great" up to these days? Josh Fields beat "N8 the Great's" ***. Twice. Now he's a professional athlete. If you're gonna make fun of OSU QB's, you should pick a better target than Fields (Tone Jones, Tony Pounds, Craig Strickland, Ronnie Williams, Tony Lindsay, Chris Chaloupka or Aso Pogi would be solid starts). There are many from which to choose, but Fields isn't one of them.

N8 is still on an NFL roster, I think. Even if he's not STILL, that IMHO, is still an accomplishment. And Josh Fields had nothing to do with N8's play. And 13 points worth of victory over the course of two years isn't exactly domination.

But I forgot that Fields was the guy intercepting the ball, sacking the QB, putting pressure on the running game, etc. :cool: