PDA

View Full Version : Middle Schoolers

SicEmBaylor
2/9/2007, 06:07 PM
Okay,

Today I took my usual slice of cheese pizza from Sbarro to the third floor of the SUB (Student Union Building). Immediately upon entering the SUB, I was shocked to see literally hundreds of middle schoolers. Apparently, they were having some sort of event there.

Here's my complaint, my God they acted like recently released zoo animals. I'm not sure anyone my age acted that way when we were in middle school. They were climbing on the rails, sliding down the railing on the stairs, standing up in chairs and on tables, screaming, yelling, wondering around everywhere without supervision, and in general acting like they'd never been in public before.

All the while the teachers or whoever the adult supervisors were just looked on and did virtually NOTHING whatsoever.

Can any of you who are teachers in TX tell me...WTF? I mean honest to God...is it a rule in Texas now that teachers can't actually supervise or otherwise discipline your future juvies?

Widescreen
2/9/2007, 06:11 PM
By this thread title, I thought you were going to tell us you had found new romantic targets. Man am I relieved!

Frozen Sooner
2/9/2007, 06:12 PM
Don't know about Texas, but that's the way it is here. You discipline a middle schooler up here and you're more likely to spend your planning hour in a conference with their parents about why you're so mean to their child than anything else.

Vaevictis
2/9/2007, 06:14 PM
I'm not sure anyone my age acted that way when we were in middle school.

Heh, when I was in middle school, kids acted like that. Kids are at the peak of *********gery in middle school, it's a measurable fact.

SicEmBaylor
2/9/2007, 06:16 PM
Heh, when I was in middle school, kids acted like that. Kids are at the peak of *********gery in middle school, it's a measurable fact.

When I was in MS I got in trouble for passing out Dole/Kemp buttons and bumper stickers between classes.

Vaevictis
2/9/2007, 06:20 PM
When I was in MS I got in trouble for passing out Dole/Kemp buttons and bumper stickers between classes.

I have absolutely no idea how to respond to that.

PhxSooner
2/9/2007, 06:47 PM
No kidding. Our neighbor's kid was the sweetest girl until the middle of sixth grade. Now it's like the spawn of Satan lives across the street.

soonerboomer93
2/9/2007, 06:55 PM
My mom is a ASL interpreter. She worked with colleges, but decided to work for at a High School. She lasted 1 year. If a student wasn't doing well, it was her responsiblity to make sure they were studing and try and tutor them. Many of the parents were little help and blamed the school that their children were having problems.

Way, way too many parents have their heads up their ***.

royalfan5
2/9/2007, 07:09 PM
Cheese Pizza is your usual? So you are a bland onion in addition to a sad one?

SicEmBaylor
2/9/2007, 07:10 PM
Cheese Pizza is your usual? So you are a bland onion in addition to a sad one?

Yeah well, worse yet I scrape most of the cheese off.

Vaevictis
2/9/2007, 07:14 PM
So basically, what you really want is just bread and marinara.

royalfan5
2/9/2007, 07:15 PM
Yeah well, worse yet I scrape most of the cheese off.
So you just like sauce on bread?

SicEmBaylor
2/9/2007, 07:16 PM
So you just like sauce on bread?
Basically...I do like some cheese though.

royalfan5
2/9/2007, 07:25 PM
Basically...I do like some cheese though.
Is there any food you like that has flavor?

SicEmBaylor
2/9/2007, 07:48 PM
Is there any food you like that has flavor?
Messican

OCUDad
2/9/2007, 07:57 PM
So you just like sauce on bread?And from Sbarro, no less.

BajaOklahoma
2/9/2007, 08:36 PM
Okay,
Can any of you who are teachers in TX tell me...WTF? I mean honest to God...is it a rule in Texas now that teachers can't actually supervise or otherwise discipline your future juvies?

Remember the proposed law about penalizing parents for not attending parent-teacher conferences? There is a reason it was proposed.

Personally, I would like to see every parent forced to spend a day at their child's school (one day per child). There would either be some eyes opened, some better behaved kids or some changes in which kids parents will allow their kids to have over to play. Teachers would get a HUGE raise. If it would become a law, the employers would be forced to permit their employees to take off. It could save some bucks on prison fees.

And get rid of the idiot lawyers, like the guy suing over Christian teachings in the public schools. We shouldn't teach religion in school, but a tolerance of other religions would be nice.

SicEmBaylor
2/9/2007, 08:45 PM
And from Sbarro, no less.
It's the only pizza place on campus.

SicEmBaylor
2/9/2007, 08:46 PM
Remember the proposed law about penalizing parents for not attending parent-teacher conferences? There is a reason it was proposed.

Personally, I would like to see every parent forced to spend a day at their child's school (one day per child). There would either be some eyes opened, some better behaved kids or some changes in which kids parents will allow their kids to have over to play. Teachers would get a HUGE raise. If it would become a law, the employers would be forced to permit their employees to take off. It could save some bucks on prison fees.

And get rid of the idiot lawyers, like the guy suing over Christian teachings in the public schools. We shouldn't teach religion in school, but a tolerance of other religions would be nice.

That sounds complicated. Can't you just carry a giant rod and beat the **** out of the kids when they misbehave?

Jimminy Crimson
2/9/2007, 08:53 PM

:les:TROUBLEMAKER!

I'm guilty of the same antics, just never got in trouble for it.

BajaOklahoma
2/9/2007, 08:56 PM
That sounds complicated. Can't you just carry a giant rod and beat the **** out of the kids when they misbehave?

The parents sure don't.

SicEmBaylor
2/9/2007, 09:18 PM
:les:TROUBLEMAKER!

I'm guilty of the same antics, just never got in trouble for it.

Well, I wouldn't say I got into trouble. They just told me to stop.

SoonerProphet
2/9/2007, 09:21 PM
On that note, girls soccer, predominately 8th grade, ended today. I am getting loaded...hooray!!

SicEmBaylor
2/9/2007, 09:25 PM
I think 8th grade girls may be the debbbil. The boys were all doing whatever they could to destroy the place, but the girls were all huddled together wanting to the phone number of every boy there.

Mongo
2/9/2007, 09:28 PM
I think 8th grade girls may be the debbbil. The boys were all doing whatever they could to destroy the place, but the girls were all huddled together wanting to the phone number of every boy there.

You didnt give them yours did you?

SicEmBaylor
2/9/2007, 09:31 PM
You didnt give them yours did you?
No. If I ever had to speak to an 8th grade girl then I would hope for death shortly thereafter. Actually...preferably before.

Mongo
2/9/2007, 09:37 PM
No. If I ever had to speak to an 8th grade girl then I would hope for death shortly thereafter. Actually...preferably before.

Trust me, I know. I had to coach 7th and 9th grade girls BBall. I was never around the 8th graders, yet one had written a note to a friend that her and Coach Mongo had been touching each other in a hawt yet illegal way.

SoonerInKCMO
2/9/2007, 09:38 PM
Middle school kids have been like that for at least 25 years. I'd guess longer... but I only have personal experience for the quarter century.

****. Now I feel all old and **** because I just said it was a QUARTER ****ING CENTURY AGO THAT I WAS IN MIDDLE SCHOOL!!

:cry: :cry:

SoonerInKCMO
2/9/2007, 09:40 PM
Trust me, I know. I had to coach 7th and 9th grade girls BBall. I was never around the 8th graders, yet one had written a note to a friend that her and Coach Mongo had been touching each other in a hawt yet illegal way.

GO MONGO!
IT'S YOUR BIRFDAY!
YOU'RE A FELON!

:texan:

Mongo
2/9/2007, 09:42 PM
GO MONGO!
IT'S YOUR BIRFDAY!
YOU'RE A FELON!

:texan:

Oh, I am a pervert, but I am a LEGAL pervert.:D

SicEmBaylor
2/9/2007, 09:45 PM
What was funny was that a couple of the 8th grade boys were checking out the college chicks and daring each other go to hit on them. :D

Mongo
2/9/2007, 09:48 PM
What was funny was that a couple of the 8th grade boys were checking out the college chicks and daring each other go to hit on them. :D

8th grade balls> SicEm balls:D

SicEmBaylor
2/9/2007, 09:51 PM
8th grade balls> SicEm balls:D
Unfortunately, that is true.

soonerboomer93
2/9/2007, 10:05 PM
And from Sbarro, no less.

he just wants to stay mobbed up

soonerboomer93
2/9/2007, 10:15 PM
someone just needs to learn how to say **** it....

soonerboomer93
2/9/2007, 10:16 PM

1tc is in the 8th grade?

Mongo
2/9/2007, 10:21 PM
1tc is in the 8th grade?

No, 1tc would have liked it too much to give up his coach.

He was known as "The Locker", anyone could put their stuff in him.

olevetonahill
2/9/2007, 10:27 PM
Says the Tuff innerwb dude , that cant even tell a Yainch thats yanking him around , To **** off dip**** .

SicEmBaylor
2/9/2007, 11:05 PM
Says the Tuff innerwb dude , that cant even tell a Yainch thats yanking him around , To **** off dip**** .

Oh, I have no problem telling other people to **** off. It's just her.

Ugh, I just got off the phone with her. She's having second thoughts on Disney World for her honeymoon and was asking for my advice on where to go because Greg just wants to go some place where they can spend "a lot of quality time together." :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

SoonerGirl06
2/9/2007, 11:08 PM
Oh, I have no problem telling other people to **** off. It's just her.

Ugh, I just got off the phone with her. She's having second thoughts on Disney World for her honeymoon and was asking for my advice on where to go because Greg just wants to go some place where they can spend "a lot of quality time together." :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I hear there's some nice Swingers Clubs in Norman. That just might cure her.

SicEmBaylor
2/9/2007, 11:54 PM
Oh, I forgot the best part of this. I'm throwing my trash away and one of the teachers/supervisors comes up to me and says, "you need to get back to your group the program is about to start!"

I **** you not.

Vaevictis
2/10/2007, 12:21 AM

"If all you want to do is ****, it doesn't matter where you go. You could honeymoon in an alley, and it would serve as well."

soonerboomer93
2/10/2007, 01:14 AM
Oh, I forgot the best part of this. I'm throwing my trash away and one of the teachers/supervisors comes up to me and says, "you need to get back to your group the program is about to start!"

I **** you not.

did you follow and try to get some teacher poon

or stare at her blankly and just pull off your hat?

SicEmBaylor
2/10/2007, 01:15 AM
did you follow and try to get some teacher poon

or stare at her blankly and just pull off your hat?
It was a he.

soonerboomer93
2/10/2007, 01:21 AM
No, 1tc would have liked it too much to give up his coach.

He was known as "The Locker", anyone could put their stuff in him.

:les:FINGER CUFFS

GottaHavePride
2/10/2007, 01:59 AM
She's having second thoughts on Disney World for her honeymoon and was asking for my advice on where to go because Greg just wants to go some place where they can spend "a lot of quality time together." :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Wait, HER idea is Disney World for a honeymoon? that's the lamest thing I've ever heard. Unless she's had a lifelong dream to get ****ed on "It's A Small World" why would she want that? ESPECIALLY if she's talking a December wedding. Jeebus, at least come up with something unusual, like a week at a ski lodge in Switzerland or something.

Mongo
2/10/2007, 04:14 AM
Wait, HER idea is Disney World for a honeymoon? that's the lamest thing I've ever heard. Unless she's had a lifelong dream to get ****ed on "It's A Small World" why would she want that? ESPECIALLY if she's talking a December wedding. Jeebus, at least come up with something unusual, like a week at a ski lodge in Switzerland or something.

At least he is not trying to have sex with her in a very uncomfortable place.....:)

Frozen Sooner
2/10/2007, 04:22 AM
Like the backseat of a VW bug?

SleestakSooner
2/10/2007, 04:45 AM

I just had a crazy idea.

You know how a lot of people are putting cameras in their homes so they can keep an eye on the house while they are away?

Well why not put cameras in all the class rooms so that parents can monitor what is going on and keep an eye out to be sure their kids are where they should be.

I bet a lot of them would not even use the access but it might make the children act differently (better) and keep the teachers from buggin out too. God knows those people need substantial raises!

BajaOklahoma
2/10/2007, 09:36 AM
We actually have cameras in all of the hallways. They constantly record whatever goes on. And they are wired for sound.
The problem with cameras in the classroom would be access by the wrong people. Even our first graders have multiple teachers and change classrooms during the day. Programing that schedule for parents would be horribly expensive. And what if our schedule changed for the day - such as TAKS testing or field trips?

jk the sooner fan
2/10/2007, 09:45 AM
this thread just absolutely kills me.......

or something.....

SicEmBaylor
2/10/2007, 10:56 AM
We actually have cameras in all of the hallways. They constantly record whatever goes on. And they are wired for sound.
The problem with cameras in the classroom would be access by the wrong people. Even our first graders have multiple teachers and change classrooms during the day. Programing that schedule for parents would be horribly expensive. And what if our schedule changed for the day - such as TAKS testing or field trips?

You could do it as a webcam. That wouldn't be too expensive I wouldn't think.

Vaevictis
2/10/2007, 10:59 AM
You could do it as a webcam. That wouldn't be too expensive I wouldn't think.

The issue isn't the camera. The issue is the cost of hiring IT guys to develop, deploy and maintain the system.

Mrs. Norm
2/10/2007, 11:04 AM
I teach 6th grade. I am in an elementary school (Pre-K thru 6). These kids in 5th grade were sweet...not out of control. I swear, in one summer, they come back as 6th graders and lose every intelligent thought! Our girls have some kind of drama going on evereyday, our boys are out of control...it's crazy. However, I've been told that the group I have now has been like this since 1st grade. Last year wasn't nearly this bad. Maybe it's true...kids get worse every year. Lord help me.....

jk the sooner fan
2/10/2007, 12:00 PM
god bless the teachers......seriously

you're all angels in my book

the_ouskull
2/10/2007, 12:40 PM
Don't know about Texas, but that's the way it is here. You discipline a middle schooler up here and you're more likely to spend your planning hour in a conference with their parents about why you're so mean to their child than anything else.

Yeah. Middle School seems to be "that age" now. I have H.S. Freshmen, so I'm catching the tail end of it, but nobody has been a real discipline case yet. I have a few kids that won't do ANY classwork, and just sit quietly, even if it's an in-class assignment... they'll put their name on the page, and then put their pencil or pen down and just sit there. Quiet. Just indifferent. It's the most frustrating part of my job. Watching kids allow their future to swirl down the toilet because they are too ignorant to know any better and too apathetic to care...

I'm looking forward to the day that angry parents (re: grades or discipline) decide that they're going to try to go off on me. I keep pretty detailed records of everything that each kid does "wrong" in my class. I like to call it evidence. You guys think that I tee off on people on these boards. I'm gonna be like John freakin' Daly if some magnaminous parent tries to come in and rule the day, so to speak, without knowing what they're talking about.

the_ouskull

SicEmBaylor
2/10/2007, 01:25 PM
Yeah. Middle School seems to be "that age" now. I have H.S. Freshmen, so I'm catching the tail end of it, but nobody has been a real discipline case yet. I have a few kids that won't do ANY classwork, and just sit quietly, even if it's an in-class assignment... they'll put their name on the page, and then put their pencil or pen down and just sit there.

One of my best friends was a brilliant kid. Never made anything less than 90 on any homework assignment, test, etc. His GPA was over a 4.0 and he had something like a 31/32 on his ACT. His dream was to go to the Air Force Academy and he had the grades and it looked certain that Coburn would nominate him.

Junior year though in Honors English we had a major research paper to write that accounted for a substantial portion of our grade. The paper was assigned and everyone headed to the library to start doing research. Well, he just sat there. He sat there quietly and didn't move. I couldn't get him to get up, the teacher couldn't get him to get up, and his parents couldn't get him to get up. He did that EVERY single day for the rest of the year and ended up flunking Honors English and a couple of other classes. He didn't cause any problems he just sat there silently in class staring at the wall.

I'm still not sure what the hell happened to him but that screwed everything up and cost him his acceptance to the Air Force Academy. He still ended up joining the Air Force though and is now working with the ground crew of the Thunderbirds.

BajaOklahoma
2/10/2007, 01:31 PM
I teach 6th grade. I am in an elementary school (Pre-K thru 6). These kids in 5th grade were sweet...not out of control. I swear, in one summer, they come back as 6th graders and lose every intelligent thought! Our girls have some kind of drama going on evereyday, our boys are out of control...it's crazy. However, I've been told that the group I have now has been like this since 1st grade. Last year wasn't nearly this bad. Maybe it's true...kids get worse every year. Lord help me.....

Sixth grade is hormonal.
You can actually look at a class in KN and tell how it is going to go all of the way through. Correction, you can look at the parents of the kids in KN and tell how it is going to go all of the way through. We do have a few celebrations for the last day of class for some of the kids.

tbl
2/10/2007, 01:46 PM
It wouldn't be much at all to set up a camera system in a school. Webcam feeds are cheap as well. Give the parents a log in that they could log in any time and see what the turds are up to.

I'm sure the ACLU would end up trying to stop it though...

SicEmBaylor
2/10/2007, 01:52 PM
If I ever have kids, I intend to have "surprise" sit-ins in some of their classes from time to time. Not really to just keep an eye on them but see how the class itself is.

Frozen Sooner
2/10/2007, 02:00 PM
It wouldn't be much at all to set up a camera system in a school. Webcam feeds are cheap as well. Give the parents a log in that they could log in any time and see what the turds are up to.

I'm sure the ACLU would end up trying to stop it though...

Already have.