PDA

View Full Version : Al Gore at OU - March 1

Rhino
2/9/2007, 11:41 AM
Thursday, March 1 - Paul F. Sharp Concert Hall inside Catlett Music Center on OU's campus. Doors open at 3pm; Gore's lecture is later that evening. Free.

link (http://www.normantranscript.com/localnews/local_story_039150702.html?keyword=topstory)

The lecture is open to OU faculty, staff and students, with overflow seating available to the public. Bummer. Sharp Concert Hall only holds 584, that'll fill up quick.

UPDATE!
This has been moved to the Lloyd Noble Center!

Doors open at 3pm; Presentation at 4pm.

sooneron
2/9/2007, 11:42 AM
IBTT!

sooneron
2/9/2007, 11:43 AM
IBRLIMC!

sooneron
2/9/2007, 11:43 AM
IBCCD!

SoonerStormchaser
2/9/2007, 11:45 AM
**** GORE!

SicEmBaylor
2/9/2007, 11:49 AM
IBTSSB

mikeelikee
2/9/2007, 11:50 AM
Maybe by then it'll be above freezing again, so he can trumpet his global warming drivel without appearing the obvious idiot he is.

SoonerStormchaser
2/9/2007, 11:52 AM
In my plan, the lockbox would be camouflaged. To the ordinary person it would be a copy of "The Count of Monte Christo" by Alexandre Dumas. But it wouldn't be...it would be...the lockbox.

C&CDean
2/9/2007, 12:11 PM
Bummer. Sharp Concert Hall only holds 584, that'll fill up quick.

I seriously hope there's not 584 losers in Norman of the magnitude it would take to seriously want to listen to anything Algore has to say.

KaiserSooner
2/9/2007, 12:42 PM
Hell, I'd take off work to be one of the 584 losers.

sooneron
2/9/2007, 12:47 PM
He is out of his mind. Burning fossil fuels CANNOT be bad for anything or anyone. What a liar. He needs a big steaming cup of STFU. Love it or leave it, Al.

NormanPride
2/9/2007, 12:57 PM
This is almost as awesome as the Bill Nye show at TCC last night.

Hamhock
2/9/2007, 12:59 PM
This is almost as awesome as the Bill Nye show at TCC last night.

that was last night ?!?!

how was it?

C&CDean
2/9/2007, 01:00 PM
He is out of his mind. Burning fossil fuels CANNOT be bad for anything or anyone. What a liar. He needs a big steaming cup of STFU. Love it or leave it, Al.

Well, yeah.

Jimminy Crimson
2/9/2007, 01:10 PM
There isn't a such thing as 'global warming'. I might go just to laugh... and take a picture with him while throwing up the shocker. :texan:

NormanPride
2/9/2007, 01:20 PM
that was last night ?!?!

how was it?

Sold out. :(

Zbird
2/9/2007, 11:02 PM
There isn't a such thing as 'global warming'. I might go just to laugh... and take a picture with him while throwing up the shocker. :texan:

Hmmmmmmmmmmm. Worldwide network of reknowned scientists and eons of hard factual data, or the scientific genius of sloth witted south oval fans who have difficulty adding up their checkbooks. Who should I believe?????? Not a difficult decision.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
2/10/2007, 01:36 AM
POS-HNTDOH

proud gonzo
2/10/2007, 01:39 AM
Bummer. Sharp Concert Hall only holds 584, that'll fill up quick.no kidding. they never have large enough spaces for things like this. i didn't get to see the Bob Woodward lecture or the hotel rwanda guy lecture for that reason. :(

SleestakSooner
2/10/2007, 03:42 AM
Price is right... I am in!

How can you haters know what it is you are hating if you don't actually listen to what the man you hate so much actually says sans the media lenses?

Jimminy Crimson
2/10/2007, 05:59 AM
Hmmmmmmmmmmm. Worldwide network of reknowned scientists and eons of hard factual data, or the scientific genius of sloth witted south oval fans who have difficulty adding up their checkbooks. Who should I believe?????? Not a difficult decision.

Always go with the South Ovalites! :texan:

Xstnlsooner
2/10/2007, 10:20 AM
Who wouldn't want to listen to Gore? After all, he DID invent the
internet!

King Crimson
2/10/2007, 10:33 AM
POS-HNTDOH

spill the beans favor, what does this no doubt amazingly reductive but dead on kill the libz before they destroy the America you and I love acronym mean?

2/10/2007, 11:38 AM
spill the beans favor, what does this no doubt amazingly reductive but dead on kill the libz before they destroy the America you and I love acronym mean?Let's play the guessing game.

OklahomaTuba
2/10/2007, 11:47 AM
Is he flying in???

2/10/2007, 11:55 AM
Is he flying in???I have yet to see him travel anywhere on his bicycle, but I'm sure it's just because I haven't been paying really close attention.

OCUDad
2/10/2007, 11:57 AM
Let's play the guessing game.OK, I'll go first. You're retarded?

OklahomaTuba
2/10/2007, 12:00 PM
OK, I'll go first. You're retarded?
Oh my, you really did it this time. I have no idear how RLIMC will recover from that one.

OklahomaTuba
2/10/2007, 12:05 PM
I have yet to see him travel anywhere on his bicycle, but I'm sure it's just because I haven't been paying really close attention.

Well, according to him, he is living a carbon neutral lifestyle.

Gore said he and his wife, Tipper, who was in the audience, had adopted a "carbon neutral lifestyle."

"We've fallen into this pattern of consuming more and more and more and I'm part of it, I understand," he said.

http://www.breitbart.com/news/2006/07/24/D8J2HH4O6.html

Certainly he wouldn't be destroying the earth further by emiiting massive amounts of CO from his private jet just so he can come to OU and take thousands of $$$ from a public university that keeps raising tuition on the students, would he???

2/10/2007, 12:10 PM
OK, I'll go first. You're retarded?POS-HNTDOH=YR. Good effort, but not exactly.

Vaevictis
2/10/2007, 12:26 PM
Well, according to him, he is living a carbon neutral lifestyle.

http://www.breitbart.com/news/2006/07/24/D8J2HH4O6.html

Certainly he wouldn't be destroying the earth further by emiiting massive amounts of CO from his private jet just so he can come to OU and take thousands of $$$ from a public university that keeps raising tuition on the students, would he???

Carbon Neutral lifestyle doesn't mean you don't emit any carbon, it means that when you do emit carbon, you do something to offset it, like planting a tree (or paying someone else to...)

My bet is that he plants a hell of a lot of trees to make up for his jetting about.

SoonerGirl06
2/10/2007, 12:27 PM
Certainly he wouldn't be destroying the earth further by emiiting massive amounts of CO from his private jet...

Kinda like the rest of the Environmentalists that drive around in their beat up 1960's VW vans.

SoonerGirl06
2/10/2007, 12:28 PM
Carbon Neutral lifestyle doesn't mean you don't emit any carbon, it means that when you do emit carbon, you do something to offset it, like planting a tree (or paying someone else to...)

My bet is that he plants a hell of a lot of trees to make up for his jetting about.

Out of curiosity... where would that be?

OklahomaTuba
2/10/2007, 12:31 PM

I wonder how many trees he would have to plant to offset his jetsetting??

Think he will be planting any in Norman? You know, to offset the CO he emitted while flying here, driving around town, and talking?

Hopefully some educated person in the audience will ask him all of this.

Vaevictis
2/10/2007, 12:32 PM
Out of curiosity... where would that be?

No idea. The dude has a lot of money, though.

If I were trying to do something like that, I'd probably just pay to reforest somewhere that had been deforested for commercial purposes (say, by logging activity).

Harry Beanbag
2/10/2007, 12:34 PM
Price is right... I am in!

How can you haters know what it is you are hating if you don't actually listen to what the man you hate so much actually says sans the media lenses?

Are you serious? We've been listening to the bat **** crazy garbage that falls out of Al's mouth for at least 15 years now. He's a freaking hypocritical lunatic who is playing off of people's fears, kind of like he accuses others of doing.

I'd rather Hillary be in the Oval Office than Al, at least she's sane.

SoonerGirl06
2/10/2007, 12:35 PM

If I were trying to do something like that, I'd probably just pay to reforest somewhere that had been deforested for commercial purposes (say, by logging activity).

That's already being done by the logging industry.

How about planting them in metropolitian areas that have poor air qualities? I think that would be a great idea. But I don't hear about Al Gore or anyone he pays doing that to offset any carbon that they emit.

OklahomaTuba
2/10/2007, 12:36 PM

So its OK to pollute the environment (for personal monatary gain) and then scare people by telling then that pollution is going to destroy the earth, just as long as you plant some trees huh?

2/10/2007, 12:43 PM
I just got anonymously neg specked for writing down some capital letters that nobody knows what they mean....Zoweee!

OklahomaTuba
2/10/2007, 12:47 PM
Well, in any case, I hope Al brings his Internet with him.

Vaevictis
2/10/2007, 12:49 PM
That's already being done by the logging industry.

Often only in places where it's required by law. Nothing in the "carbon neutral" statement implies that it's in any specific place, it usually means that your global impact is carbon neutral.

So its OK to pollute the environment (for personal monatary gain) and then scare people by telling then that pollution is going to destroy the earth, just as long as you plant some trees huh?

They're trying to promote a way where the average person is going to be able to make a positive difference. People aren't going to give up the devices that emit carbon -- they're just too damned convenient. Jets, cars, electricity, etc. So they take a two pronged approach -- reduce emissions from the devices themselves, and find ways of taking the emissions that you put into the atmosphere out of it.

You can actually measure how much CO2 what you do puts into the atmosphere, and you can estimate how much an acre of trees sucks back out of it. If you balance your emissions against the amount of carbon you remove from the atmosphere by your other efforts (say, planting trees), then you're carbon neutral.

Harry Beanbag
2/10/2007, 12:54 PM
Often only in places where it's required by law. Nothing in the "carbon neutral" statement implies that it's in any specific place, it usually means that your global impact is carbon neutral.

They're trying to promote a way where the average person is going to be able to make a positive difference. People aren't going to give up the devices that emit carbon -- they're just too damned convenient. Jets, cars, electricity, etc. So they take a two pronged approach -- reduce emissions from the devices themselves, and find ways of taking the emissions that you put into the atmosphere out of it.

You can actually measure how much CO2 what you do puts into the atmosphere, and you can estimate how much an acre of trees sucks back out of it. If you balance your emissions against the amount of carbon you remove from the atmosphere by your other efforts (say, planting trees), then you're carbon neutral.

Utopia lives!!!!11!!!1!!!!

2/10/2007, 12:55 PM
You can actually measure how much CO2 what you do puts into the atmosphere, and you can estimate how much an acre of trees sucks back out of it. If you balance your emissions against the amount of carbon you remove from the atmosphere by your other efforts (say, planting trees), then you're carbon neutral.Quick, where do we get said measuring device. They ought to be mandatory, at least at the state, if not the national level. SOMEONE CALL NANCY PELOSI AND HARRY BELAFONTE!

OklahomaTuba
2/10/2007, 01:01 PM
People aren't going to give up the devices that emit carbon -- they're just too damned convenient. Jets, cars, electricity, etc.

I'm not talking about people, I am talking about Al Gore.

Are you saying he won't be giving up Jets and Cars and Electricity, etc, cause they are just to damn convenient?

If so, what a hypocrite.

OklahomaTuba
2/10/2007, 01:02 PM
Maybe Herr will be coming to OU for another speech again...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=74LRpnnRm20

Zbird
2/10/2007, 01:06 PM

You mean I need to plant trees just so I can have a beer and a chili-dog? Or, should I just try to hold in the emissions?

;)

Harry Beanbag
2/10/2007, 01:09 PM
You mean I need to plant trees just so I can have a beer and a chili-dog? Or, should I just try to hold in the emissions?

;)

I think we're talking CO2 here, not methane. ;)

Jeopardude
2/10/2007, 01:10 PM
Things I've learned on this thread:

1. Al Gore flies on planes. This makes him a hypocrite.

2. Al Gore is crazy.

3. Al Gore invented the Internet. (http://www.dailyhowler.com/dh120302.shtml)

4. The winter is cold. That makes global warming a lie.

5. SoonerGirl06 hasn't heard about Al Gore planting trees. Therefore, he's a liar.

6. Al Gore is taking thousands of dollars from a public university. Students will pay higher tuition.

7. Al Gore is very rich. He could solve global warming by himself.

8. If Al Gore had ridden a bicycle here from Tennessee, people would be fine.

Chuck Bao
2/10/2007, 01:13 PM
Spec for Jeopardude!

Vaevictis
2/10/2007, 01:14 PM
Are you saying he won't be giving up Jets and Cars and Electricity, etc, cause they are just to damn convenient?

If so, what a hypocrite.

He's not saying anyone has to give them up. How is that being a hypocrite?

OklahomaTuba
2/10/2007, 01:16 PM

Well, maybe if he wasn't trying to scare people with movies like "an inconvient truth", he might not be a hypocrite.

OklahomaTuba
2/10/2007, 01:18 PM
He's not saying anyone has to give them up. How is that being a hypocrite?

So its OK to fly in planes that emit thousands of tonnes of CO into the atmosphere, and them make movies that scare people about CO being emitted into the atmosphere is going to destroy the earth??

Thats not being hypocritical?

:rolleyes:

OklahomaTuba
2/10/2007, 01:21 PM
Its reminds me of my mom when I was little, telling me I couldn't smoke cause it will kill me, while she had a cigerette hanging out of her mouth.

Vaevictis
2/10/2007, 01:22 PM
So its OK to fly in planes that emit thousands of tonnes of CO into the atmosphere, and them make movies that scare people about CO being emitted into the atmosphere is going to destroy the earth??

Thats not being hypocritical?

Have you actually watched the movie?

OklahomaTuba
2/10/2007, 01:31 PM
Have you actually watched the movie?
Not all of it. Caught a little of it on HBO the other night.

Why? Did Al Gore not actually say that CO is causing global warming?? I seem to remember him saying that.

SoonerInKCMO
2/10/2007, 01:32 PM
That Rhino is such a rabble-rouser. ;)

KaiserSooner
2/10/2007, 01:36 PM

2. Al Gore is crazy.

5. SoonerGirl06 hasn't heard about Al Gore planting trees. Therefore, he's a liar.

6. Al Gore is taking thousands of dollars from a public university. Students will pay higher tuition.

:D

SoonerInKCMO
2/10/2007, 01:36 PM
Quick, where do we get said measuring device. They ought to be mandatory, at least at the state, if not the national level. SOMEONE CALL NANCY PELOSI AND HARRY BELAFONTE!

Not measuring device - calculator that estimates your carbon output by inputting things such as what kind of car you have and how far you drive it, how big your house is and how you power it, etc.

Google 'carbon neutral' and you'll find lots of sites that have calculators and ways you can invest in carbon reclamation and clean energy projects.

One such site is TerraPass (http://www.terrapass.com)

Vaevictis
2/10/2007, 01:42 PM
Not all of it. Caught a little of it on HBO the other night.

Why? Did Al Gore not actually say that CO is causing global warming?? I seem to remember him saying that.

It helps if you listen to the whole thing. The movie goes something like this:

1. Global warming is bad.
2. Here's why.
3. Here's what seems to be causing it.
4. Here's what we can do about it.

He's not advocating that we give up our way of life. He's not saying get rid of oil, get rid of cars, get rid of jets, go live on a commune. He's saying "Look, we seem to have a problem here. And I think we can make a difference without having to really change our way of life. We can do it with relatively minor changes. We have the ability. Here's how. We just need to get on it."

One of the main points in his presentation is to use the notion of carbon neutrality to reduce your impact. It's essentially pollution credits for people. You're in the oil industry, right? You probably have some notion of how this works. He's just trying to get people to voluntarily do something that we already do in industry.

Jeopardude
2/10/2007, 02:00 PM
Another thing I've Learned On This THread

9. Al Gore scares people.

OklahomaTuba
2/10/2007, 02:30 PM
It helps if you listen to the whole thing. The movie goes something like this:

1. Global warming is bad.
2. Here's why.
3. Here's what seems to be causing it.
4. Here's what we can do about it.

He's not advocating that we give up our way of life. He's not saying get rid of oil, get rid of cars, get rid of jets, go live on a commune. He's saying "Look, we seem to have a problem here. And I think we can make a difference without having to really change our way of life. We can do it with relatively minor changes. We have the ability. Here's how. We just need to get on it."

So, he isn't telling people to make major changes huh? :rolleyes:

About Al Gore's Global Warming concert:

The aim is not just to drive awareness but to get people to take action."

These actions are likely to include personal pledges to reduce emissions, for instance by using energy efficient equipment or flying less.http://www.ft.com/cms/s/ebad1e4a-b719-11db-8bc2-0000779e2340.html

Well, I guess flying is only good when some college is handing you thousands of dollars to speak.

Vaevictis
2/10/2007, 02:34 PM
So, he isn't telling people to make changes huh? :rolleyes:

:rolleyes: Try reading what I said instead of putting words in my mouth. Here, I'll make it easy to see where you went wrong.

Changing your way of life: Becoming Amish.
Not so much: Driving a more fuel efficient car.

OklahomaTuba
2/10/2007, 02:35 PM

9. Al Gore scares people.

yup.

http://gopvixen.blogs.com/gop_vixen/images/al_gore_5.jpg

OklahomaTuba
2/10/2007, 02:37 PM
:rolleyes: Try reading what I said instead of putting words in my mouth. Here, I'll make it easy to see where you went wrong.
I did read it, and frankly you seem to be the one putting words in Al's mouth.

Of course, I am sure you didn't read that his concert will try to get people to pledge not to fly as much.

Yup, No hypocricy there at all. HAHAHA!!!!

Vaevictis
2/10/2007, 02:43 PM
I did read it, and frankly you seem to be the one putting words in Al's mouth.

So basically, as usual, you read it, take a word or two out of context, extrapolate, and come up with a totally boneheaded conclusion. Typical.

And, frankly, how would you know what Al's said? You watched a little bit of his movie, took a few minutes out of context, extrapolated, and came up with a totally boneheaded conclusion. Typical.

Watch the whole movie, especially the part where he talks about what we can do to address the problem. Even if he is being hypocritical wrt flying around, which with respect to carbon neutrality (as originally posited) is unproven, being a hypocrite doesn't imply that you're wrong.

OklahomaTuba
2/10/2007, 02:53 PM
Even if he is being hypocritical wrt flying around, which with respect to carbon neutrality (as originally posited) is unproven, being a hypocrite doesn't imply that you're wrong.

So if he doesn't practice what he preaches, why should anyone else???

SoonerGirl06
2/10/2007, 05:42 PM

2. Al Gore is crazy.

I never stated or referred that Al Gore was a liar. Get your facts straight before you include my name in your comments.

Oldnslo
2/10/2007, 07:00 PM

9. Al Gore annoys people.
That's what I was thinking, too.

SleestakSooner
2/10/2007, 09:18 PM
Well, maybe if G.W. Bush wasn't trying to scare people with false notions like "weapons of mass destruction in Iraq", he might not be a hypocritical liar.

This is a fun game :D

OklahomaTuba
2/11/2007, 01:06 AM
This is a fun game :D

Yes it is!

If Saddam rejects peace and we have to use force, our purpose is clear. We want to seriously diminish the threat posed by Iraq's weapons of mass destruction program. We want to seriously reduce his capacity to threaten his neighbors.

http://www.cnn.com/ALLPOLITICS/1998/02/17/transcripts/clinton.iraq/

Another Inconvenient Truth.

2/11/2007, 01:14 AM

9. Al Gore, and his suggestions of greater govt. control and regulation, let alone his de-emphasis on domestic oil exploration and production, scares people. Well, yeah, as it should.

OklahomaTuba
2/11/2007, 01:20 AM
Maybe next we can have Ted Kennedy come to campus to speak about the dangers of drinking and driving.

SleestakSooner
2/11/2007, 02:48 AM
It takes a lot of hot air and a puckered sphincter to play the tuba doesn't it? You really should save some of that air to supply oxygen to those wayward brain cells.

OklahomaTuba
2/11/2007, 02:59 AM
It takes a lot of hot air and a puckered sphincter to play the tuba doesn't it? You really should save some of that air to supply oxegen to those wayward brain cells.

Speaking of hypocracy:

Its rather Ironic that you posted this, and in another thread lecture me on "respect" in my posts.

Good jorb on the personal attacks BTW. Glad to know you can contribute to a thread in such a mature and honest fashion.

:rolleyes:

Okieflyer
2/11/2007, 09:13 AM
Come on, you guys know you'll camping out for the best seats!;)

47straight
2/11/2007, 10:04 AM
I like Al Gore. It's his fans that scare me.

OCUDad
2/11/2007, 11:59 AM
Speaking of hypocracy:

Its rather Ironic that you posted this, and in another thread lecture me on "respect" in my posts.

Good jorb on the personal attacks BTW. Glad to know you can contribute to a thread in such a mature and honest fashion.

:rolleyes:This is hilarious. The master of the condescending insult (and little else) gets his panties in a bunch when someone insults him condescendingly. Hypocrisy, indeed.

birddog
2/11/2007, 12:17 PM
man, we'd have some material if bush and gore combined forces.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=yyAaAI1qG-A

Harry Beanbag
2/11/2007, 12:32 PM
This is hilarious. The master of the condescending insult (and little else) gets his panties in a bunch when someone insults him condescendingly. Hypocrisy, indeed.

There are quite a few on this board who have reached master level of the condescending insult, I don't think Tuba has the market cornered.

OCUDad
2/11/2007, 12:36 PM
There are quite a few on this board who have reached master level of the condescending insult, I don't think Tuba has the market cornered.True, that. Many live by the sword, but are unwilling to die by it. :D

Harry Beanbag
2/11/2007, 12:41 PM
True, that. Many live by the sword, but are unwilling to die by it. :D

Yep. Lots of innerweb tough guys and knowitalls around here. Oh well, it's still fun.

Rhino
2/26/2007, 01:14 PM

C&CDean
2/26/2007, 02:35 PM

So, are you gonna be there? Front row? Wearing your Save The Swimming Amphibians t-shirt, birkies, and faux fur jacket? Maybe a pack of tofu chewing gum? All patouli-oiled up? Are you gonna drive or walk to the LNC? Are you gonna give him a standing O?

If so, get me a couple autographs. I want one to **** on, and one to wipe with. Thanks in advance.

And somebody needs to take a picture of the parking lot that day. Who wants to bet we see more Suburbans, Expeditions, Escalades, and Durangos than electricmobiles and bicycles?

I just find it difficult to believe people would waste an hour or two of their precious time listening to this (or any other politician) nimrod flap his pathetic gums. People are stupid.

Rhino
2/26/2007, 03:25 PM
I'll be there. I also plan on seeing Bush Sr. six days after that.

You don't understand people going to speeches, I don't understand grown people reading children's fantasy books about witchcraft and sorcery.

Fugue
2/26/2007, 03:28 PM
:pop:

C&CDean
2/26/2007, 03:31 PM
I'll be there. I also plan on seeing Bush Sr. six days after that.

You don't understand people going to speeches, I don't understand grown people reading children's fantasy books about witchcraft and sorcery.

Dude, I understand people going to speeches. I just don't understand people going to speeches given by massive peckerheads.

And if you'd ever read HP, you'd know they aren't "children's fantasy books." They're "fantasy books with children as characters."

Have fun saving the planet...

Rhino
2/26/2007, 03:36 PM
Have fun playing Dungeons & Dragons...

2/26/2007, 03:37 PM
What's algore charging for admission?

StormySooner-IN
2/26/2007, 03:38 PM
What's algore charging for admission?You have to buy a hybrid car after leaving.

2/26/2007, 03:39 PM
Dude, I understand people going to speeches. I just don't understand people going to speeches given by massive peckerheads.

ARE YOU READY TO RUMBLLLE ?

Rhino
2/26/2007, 03:39 PM
Free.

2/26/2007, 03:41 PM
Free.Then, how's he funding his private jet flights, and use of Lloyd Noble Center?

Rhino
2/26/2007, 03:48 PM
I imagine (now this is just me using my common sense here) OU is paying him out of the student activity fund or something, just like they will for Bush Sr. and every other speaker OU has ever had.

2/26/2007, 03:56 PM
I imagine (now this is just me using my common sense here) OU is paying him out of the student activity fund or something, just like they will for Bush Sr. and every other speaker OU has ever had.When will they be inviting one of the scientists to speak that disagrees with the man-made global warming depiction, or global warming itself?

C&CDean
2/26/2007, 04:00 PM
Have fun playing Dungeons & Dragons...

Homo you don't. I don't even know what D&D is - other than skinny little pasty-faced pencil-necked liberal boys like to play it.

bri
2/26/2007, 04:02 PM
When will they be inviting one of the scientists to speak that disagrees with the man-made global warming depiction, or global warming itself?

Stupid elephant, OU hates God and truth and America, remember? We're not supposed to tell anyone, but the grand finale is going to be Al and Katie Couric performing chapters 4 through 15 of the Kama Sutra on a mattress stuffed with the ashes of American flags burned in various protests. should be good stuff.

I'll try and get you a transcript of it.

Rhino
2/26/2007, 04:02 PM
When will they be inviting one of the scientists to speak that disagrees with the man-made global warming depiction, or global warming itself? Earlier that day, perhaps?

Gore’s presentation will be part of a campus discussion of different points of view on global warming.
The day’s activities will begin with a free, public forum on global warming featuring two OU faculty members with different points of view. The forum, featuring David Deming, associate professor in the College of Arts and Sciences, and David Karoly, Williams Chair and professor of meteorology, is slated for 1:30 p.m. in Meacham Auditorium of Oklahoma Memorial Union, 900 Asp Ave.

yermom
2/26/2007, 04:03 PM
man, i love this place.

i love how anything that someone with differing politics says is automatically wrong, although that isn't exactly a localized phenomenon

i haven't seen AG's movie, but damn, you'd think he was advocating throwing bricks through the windshields of every truck and SUV you see or something. how many of you have actually seen it?

and if he did happen to change the way people personally pollute the environment, wouldn't you think it might make up for flying to make a lecture tour? you expect him to take public transportation everywhere?

C&CDean
2/26/2007, 04:03 PM
Yeah, but are you going to attend the earlier sessions?

Rhino
2/26/2007, 04:04 PM
skinny little pasty-faced pencil-necked liberal boys That's all I know that read fantasy books too. ;)

Rhino
2/26/2007, 04:05 PM
Yeah, but are you going to attend the earlier sessions? Do I have a job?

If Gore was earlier, I wouldn't be able to make it either.

C&CDean
2/26/2007, 04:08 PM
man, i love this place.

i love how anything that someone with differing politics says is automatically wrong, although that isn't exactly a localized phenomenon

i haven't seen AG's movie, but damn, you'd think he was advocating throwing bricks through the windshields of every truck and SUV you see or something

and if he did happen to change the way people personally pollute the environment, wouldn't you think it might make up for flying to make a lecture tour? you expect him to take public transportation everywhere?

I've gotta be honest. To me, algore is like plain yogurt. I tried it once. It didn't have a bit of flavor but tasted mildly sour. So, I don't eat it any more. The guy is just a big zero. There's nothing appealing about him at all.

I just don't understand why people would be willing to sit and listen to his opinion. How is his opinion any more valid/true than anyone elses? There's 50 posters on this board whose thoughts and ideas I'd rather listen to. That's my deal with this whole thing. Hell, he's not even a good speaker. Him + GWB still only equals about a half-a-Clinton.

C&CDean
2/26/2007, 04:09 PM
Do I have a job?

If Gore was earlier, I wouldn't be able to make it either.

And all this time I thought you slept all day and rocked all night. Don't you dare tell me you're toiling for the man these days.

yermom
2/26/2007, 04:12 PM
i'd agree for the most part, i mean before the election in 2000 i couldn't pick which one was the bigger bore, and would have rather seen just about anyone other than those two win

i'm not an Al Gore guy, but the amount of venom for him astounds me

i think a lot of it is that people don't like to hear that what they are doing might be wrong or irresponsible

C&CDean
2/26/2007, 04:14 PM
i'd agree for the most part, i mean before the election in 2000 i couldn't pick which one was the bigger bore, and would have rather seen just about anyone other than those two win

i'm not an Al Gore guy, but the amount of venom for him astounds me

i think a lot of it is that people don't like to hear that what they are doing might be wrong or irresponsible

There's probably less venom for this guy than Cheney. Both are/were VPs who pretty much didn't/don't do ****. Cheney takes it for shooting his buddy in the face. Algore takes it for claiming the internet as his lovechild with Bill Gates.

yermom
2/26/2007, 04:16 PM
well, everyone laughs at Gore for the internet thing, i mean damn dude, wtf?

Cheney gets jokes about the shooting thing, and the cussing, the real points about him are the seemingly dirty ties to Halliburton though

C&CDean
2/26/2007, 04:23 PM
well, everyone laughs at Gore for the internet thing, i mean damn dude, wtf?

Cheney gets jokes about the shooting thing, and the cussing, the real points about him are the seemingly dirty ties to Halliburton though

"dirty ties to Halliburton?" Dude, you're watching way too much TV.

Besides, if Tipper got her way your boy Doleo wouldn't be able to listen to all his "**** the white hoes and pop a cap in the pig's asses" crap he likes.

yermom
2/26/2007, 04:26 PM
yeah, well **** Tipper and the PMRC

i said "seemingly"

him and Rummy being so tight and making all the calls with the Iraq war looks pretty shady if he is getting money from a company ready to make billions of dollars off of the war and rebuilding efforts

Hamhock
2/26/2007, 04:27 PM
There's 50 posters on this board whose thoughts and ideas I'd rather listen to.

thanks man. that really means a lot to me.

C&CDean
2/26/2007, 04:28 PM
Yeah, well except that he was "with" Halliburton way before the war. If a company algore was "with" was making $$ off the war do you think he'd donate it all to the "global warming slush fund?"

2/26/2007, 04:28 PM
That's my deal with this whole thing. Hell, Gore's not even a good speaker. Him + GWB still only equals about a half-a-Clinton. Gimme some of that OBAMA, and gimme some NOW!!!

Chuck Bao
2/26/2007, 05:25 PM
First of all, I'm not an Al Gore fan, or I wasn't until watching his Inconvenient Truth film presentation.

The fact is that he has taken a very unpopular idea and has had the balls to run with it. Now, he is gradually being proven correct. In my view, that sets him aside from the run-of-the-mill (polls) politicians in Washington.

I have a lot of respect for him now. I’m a stock market analyst and the true worth of an analyst is one who goes against the market consensus and is proven correct.

In this case, we aren’t talking about stock market profits but major global calamity. Al Gore is not an analyst but he is bringing out a message that we all need to hear. And, that is the least of what I should expect of our country’s leaders.

Anyway, Al Gore, in my opinion, is NOT A PECKERHEAD. ;)

Claims of hypocrisy are silly and just intended to cloud the real question – is he right or is he wrong?

I got into this argument with a colleague who sent emails to everyone in the office after the Inconvenient Truth won best documentary Oscar. The email was citing a number of so-called scientists who had a beef with Al Gore and his presentation.

I really wonder about these people who send out these paste job emails. Do they really think that it convinces anyone with a brain? Instead, links to reputable newspaper articles or websites would work for me.

This reminds me of emails 10 years ago, citing a number of scientists who were quoted as saying that there is no conclusive evidence that HIV causes AIDS. Those scientists were right at that time, but their statements were used to tragically mislead people. Those sending out emails like that should be ashamed now.

So if I were in Norman, yeah I’d go see Al Gore and his presentation. If I were a doubter, I’d still go and keep an open mind.

If there is any major scientist going around trying to refute the argument of global warming, I'd go to that and keep an open mind.

However, if I had already closed my mind to logic and empirical evidence, I guess I’d be busy sending out paste job emails.

C&CDean
2/26/2007, 05:30 PM
First of all, I'm not an Al Gore fan, or I wasn't until watching his Inconvenient Truth film presentation.

The fact is that he has taken a very unpopular idea and has had the balls to run with it. Now, he is gradually being proven correct. In my view, that sets him aside from the run-of-the-mill (polls) politicians in Washington.

I have a lot of respect for him now. I’m a stock market analyst and the true worth of an analyst is one who goes against the market consensus and is proven correct.

In this case, we aren’t talking about stock market profits but major global calamity. Al Gore is not an analyst but he is bringing out a message that we all need to hear. And, that is the least of what I should expect of our country’s leaders.

Anyway, Al Gore, in my opinion, is NOT A PECKERHEAD. ;)

Claims of hypocrisy are silly and just intended to cloud the real question – is he right or is he wrong?

I got into this argument with a colleague who sent emails to everyone in the office after the Inconvenient Truth won best documentary Oscar. The email was citing a number of so-called scientists who had a beef with Al Gore and his presentation.

I really wonder about these people who send out these paste job emails. Do they really think that it convinces anyone with a brain? Instead, links to reputable newspaper articles or websites would work for me.

This reminds me of emails 10 years ago, citing a number of scientists who were quoted as saying that there is no conclusive evidence that HIV causes AIDS. Those scientists were right at that time, but their statements were used to tragically mislead people. Those sending out emails like that should be ashamed now.

So if I were in Norman, yeah I’d go see Al Gore and his presentation. If I were a doubter, I’d still go and keep an open mind.

If there is any major scientist going around trying to refute the argument of global warming, I'd go to that and keep an open mind.

However, if I had already closed my mind to logic and empirical evidence, I guess I’d be busy sending out paste job emails.

Meh. All you're saying is that you've drank the Fruity-Tooty Algore Kool-aid.

bri
2/26/2007, 05:35 PM
LALALALALALALALALALALALALALALA NOT LISTENING!!!!!

:D

C&CDean
2/26/2007, 05:38 PM
Well, when one doesn't really have a thought on it - then suddenly watches an algore or michael moore flick - and is suddenly a prophet then you've gotta wonder.

bri
2/26/2007, 05:53 PM
I love the steady widening of the discussion. This started out about Al Gore and his film and lecture. Then there was some mention about D&D being played exclusively by liberals. Now Michael Moore has been conjured out of thin air (which is saying something, because that is one gigantic lardassed crackpot hack). This place is nothing if not consistent. :D

Chuck Bao
2/26/2007, 06:01 PM
Well, when one doesn't really have a thought on it - then suddenly watches an algore or michael moore flick - and is suddenly a prophet then you've gotta wonder.

You're funny guy! Let's pull in Kevin Costner and the JFK conspiracy theorists into the equation too!

Seriously, I think this issue of human influence on the planet would be more apparent if you'd lived in one of the mega-cities in Asia.

The thing that Americans need to get over is that it is not all about America. Asia is growing so fast that it also has to deal with this problem and design its growth and infrastructure to deal with this problem. Building more eight-lane elevated highways is not going to help.

TopDawg
2/26/2007, 08:00 PM
Dean thinks Gore is a peckerhead because his environmental solutions are ridiculous.

Why go through all this trouble when one simple casting of a spell will take care of everything?

bri
2/26/2007, 08:12 PM
Um, as both a liberal and a fanboy, can we please leave Harry Potter out of this? ;)

TopDawg
2/26/2007, 08:13 PM
I would think Dean would be more of a fan of Lord of the Rings.

See, in that movie when the environment was being wronged, they didn't make speeches or cast spells, those trees went and kicked some ***!

C&CDean
2/27/2007, 09:47 AM
I would think Dean would be more of a fan of Lord of the Rings.

See, in that movie when the environment was being wronged, they didn't make speeches or cast spells, those trees went and kicked some ***!

What? You don't remember the Whomping Willow? Kicked the bejeezus outta that Ford Anglia, Harry & Hermione, and some wayward sparrows.

And the whole global warming thingie doesn't have anything to do with my dislike of algore. Sure, it adds fuel to the fire (heh, I crack myself up), but I dislike him because he's a below-average liberal drone. He's ****ing boring.

TopDawg
2/27/2007, 09:48 AM
What? You don't remember the Whomping Willow? Kicked the bejeezus outta that Ford Anglia, Harry & Hermione, and some wayward sparrows.

I remember it about as well as I remember anything else I've never heard of.

I'm sorry to hear about Hermione though.

C&CDean
2/27/2007, 09:49 AM
I remember it about as well as I remember anything else I've never heard of.

I'm sorry to hear about Hermione though.

Well then you obviously have no life.

TopDawg
2/27/2007, 09:54 AM
Not one worth living anyway.

C&CDean
2/27/2007, 09:56 AM
Not one worth living anyway.

Bummer. Sucks to be you.

Sam Spade
2/28/2007, 04:23 AM
Maybe next we can have Ted Kennedy come to campus to speak about the dangers of drinking and driving.
So if Ted Kennedy lectured on drunk driving then that would mean that drunk driving wasn't actually dangerous or something wrong or something a person shouldn't do?

Harry Beanbag
3/19/2007, 06:34 AM
Big Al is coming to do this shindig at ASU in a couple of weeks. Tickets aren't quite free though, $35-$75.

StoopTroup
2/22/2008, 04:22 PM
I saw the dvd the other night.

At first sight it leaves you thinking...damn things are awful. We should do something to help.

After a few days now...

I keep thinking...how do we know it's man that is increasing the CO2 levels to the current levels?

Also...doesn't punching a hole into the stratosphere with the Space Shuttle and rockets that kill off satellites re-entering the atmosphere as well as space junk and meteors that enter the Earth's atmosphere have effect on the thin layer Mr. Gore says we need to protect?

Somehow I get the feeling that currently this is just away to attack the current Energy Producers and increase the stock in the alternative energy production that he and his supporters are heavily invested?

Maybe I'm just a cynic or improperly informed.

TheHumanAlphabet
2/22/2008, 04:25 PM
IBTL

Gore sucks donkey spittle. I wonder if Gary England will ask him a couple of questions? heh.

bri
2/22/2008, 04:28 PM
This thread's a year old. Kind of late to be breaking out "IBTL", don't you think?

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
2/22/2008, 04:28 PM
IBTL

Gore sucks donkey spittle. I wonder if Gary England will ask him a couple of questions? heh.Why IBTL? The thread's a year old.

TheHumanAlphabet
2/23/2008, 03:12 AM
I figured it would get locked...And I don't read dates well :(

But I do like how Gary is giving the Artic and northern Canada weather and snow and ice range...Kinda sticking it to the Climate Man.