PDA

View Full Version : What kind of trouble are we in?

setem
2/8/2007, 11:07 PM
I am just wondering what kind of trouble we might be in for the Bomar/Quin crap!

I ninja spy on Orange Power and they seem to think that we are looking at 4 years of no bowls and 4 years of no TV. If this gets handed down do we lose the recruits we just picked up? God damn ****kickers!

I know they are all full of ****. I just want to know what we are facing.

I am of the opinion that we will get a slap on the wrist. I mean, if USC's players get to live in mansions and no trouble. We should be ok, right?

Bob made all the right moves, so I think we should not be punished.

What do you think?

tommieharris91
2/8/2007, 11:13 PM
Usually I just go to aggy boards for the laughs. It's not like they'll say anything of any real value, just bitchin about how the media has been ridin OU's jock forever and the sky falling on their basketball team.

Check this one out on gopokes.com (http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?S=181#S=181&F=2339&T=94530)

Should be fixed now.

lcaldwell1
2/8/2007, 11:16 PM
if we get 4 yrs of no tv and bowls, then usc should be out of both for a decade or more

picasso
2/8/2007, 11:32 PM
4 years of no tv and no bowl games. that sounds eerily similar to oSu football.

Frozen Sooner
2/8/2007, 11:35 PM
We didn't get four years of no TV/no Bowls for the stuff we got hit with in 1989. There's no way we get anything CLOSE to that.

As it happens, I'm leaning more to the "NCAA says appropriate discipline was handed out and the incident was self-reported" school. The school wasn't doing anything wrong. Covering it up would have been a violation, and failing to maintain adequate controls to prevent it happening would have been a violation. Having it happen isn't a violation on the school's part-what the NCAA is looking for is how it's handled. In this case, OU handled it the way they want it handled.

goingoneight
2/9/2007, 12:24 AM

But not since they hired that there Mike Gundy to take'em to a National Champeenship! :stunned:

CrimsonChampion
2/9/2007, 12:29 AM

Yeah that might actually level the playing field for the ****** game lol.

I tend to forget about OU-osu games once a decade is up, and the 90s really is a bad dream but, what was our record against them back then from 90-98?

CrimsonChampion
2/9/2007, 12:30 AM
GREATNESS.. the b word is not accepted... noted and won't happen again :)

Doged
2/9/2007, 12:56 AM
Sheephumpers think everything OU does is an NCAA violation. Some recent examples:

Media coverage of Broyles. (They were recruiting him for us during the dead period.)
Some guy claiming he emailed Broyles a congratulatory email. (One putz said he was going to forward a thread link to "the NCAA".)
AD's failed car deal is still a popular topic.

There are several more just on the first page of gopokes.com.

Also popular is claiming all their recruits are "under rated guys" and all our recruits are "criminal bums that no one else wanted". They're a funny bunch in an annoying little brother sort of way.

leavingthezoo
2/9/2007, 01:18 AM
There are several more just on the first page of gopokes.com.

you mean like breathing?

blackbeauty02
2/9/2007, 01:31 AM

now dat 'der is funny. i don't care who ya are

BASSooner
2/9/2007, 02:01 AM
if we get 4 yrs of no tv and bowls, then usc should be out of both for a decade or more
spek

Any more news about the Reggie Bush tape? If it is confirmed that he was in the act of receiving money from boosters, the NCAA better get on USC's *** about all of this.

Also not to mention that USC is also being investigated about whether or not Joe McKnight contacted Reggie Bush. Petey, of course, denies it, but he wouldn't know...

DrZaius
2/9/2007, 07:44 AM
^

OUDoc
2/9/2007, 09:07 AM
Generations of inbreeding led to gopokes.com. Just let them play their banjos and be happy.

OKLA21FAN
2/9/2007, 09:15 AM
When was the last time the NCAA handed out 'no TeVee' sanctions? that is something that it seems the have found is not in the best interest of the NCAA as a whole or college football.

While 'no bowls' could be a possibility, that to seems to be something that is becoming a thing of the past.

Scholly limits seem to be the more effected way to sanction teams these days and one has to think tht the NCAA will take into consideration that OU 'self administered' for at least one season, a 2 scholly limit by revoking both player's schollys. (i dont think OU offered those two schollys to anyone else last season, but i could be wrong on that)

Monster Zero
2/9/2007, 09:24 AM
Exactly. Whichever aggie said that is just projecting his own guilt onto us.

Either that or they're just spreading some good will around.

MojoRisen
2/9/2007, 09:41 AM
No doubt- they are still hurting by the whole Gundy, Dykes, Thomas days!

I will say that if the NCAA comes down hard on us- they can expect reprocutions from the OU nation! Certainly not antagonizing them but I would be extremely displeased to say the least.

Cross that line in the sand!

lcaldwell1
2/9/2007, 12:47 PM
maybe bomars dad paid the oregon official to throw the game to get back at us for kickin his son off the team.......hell that oregon game should be enough punishment for any violation

AzianSooner
2/9/2007, 01:09 PM
Trust me. Nowaday is all about business. OU is one of a few program that attract more viewer on TV in this country in the bowl games. (even in Fiesta bowl s.cky last year)

There will be some but not very heavy punishment.

Budda Said.

TexasLidig8r
2/9/2007, 01:47 PM
I believe it comes down to whether the NCAA believes the compliance department had adequate policies and procedures in place to oversee the athlete's employment. The NCAA may determine whether the compliance department should have been more proactive in investigating Big Red prior to the revelation of wrong doing.

If the NCAA determines compliance performed its duties in a reasonably prudent manner, and the policies and procedures in place are adequate to oversee employment by student athletes, they are likely to accept the punishments doled out by Stoops.

If your compliance department is determined, either in its investigation of Big Red or its policies and procedures, to be inadequate taking into account the circumstances of the dealership and the number of student athletes who have been employed there, the NCAA is more likely to reduce scholarships, coaches visits to recruits and mandate improvements and changes in the compliance department.

4 years of no tv and bowls??? :rolleyes:

Frozen Sooner
2/9/2007, 02:21 PM
Exactly.

My take on whether there were adequate controls in place-there were adequate controls (i.e. time cards were being audited, etc) but the records were being falsified by a third party outside of University control.

Scott D
2/9/2007, 03:45 PM
why anyone would believe anything on a poke board is beyond me. unless the thread is about the best courting techniques for animal husbandry.

ruf/nekdad
2/10/2007, 12:41 AM
Nice Av Dr

Texas Golfer
2/10/2007, 11:44 AM
If the NCAA takes this action, there would be grounds for appeals.

Heisman winner Troy Smith was caught doing the very same thing and Bomar and Quinn and OSU suspended him for one game and the NCAA accepted that and took no action against OSU.

Reggie Bush's parents get a house and Reggie contacts recruits and, so far, the NCAA has done nothing to USC.

Dwayne Jarrett lives in a $3500 month house and pays only $350 with the rest being paid by a parent of another player and the NCAA takes no action against USC.

BajaOklahoma
2/10/2007, 11:55 AM
Mike, I think you should look at joining the NCAA for your next job.
They need more logic.

Jdog
2/11/2007, 01:58 AM

Heisman winner Troy Smith was caught doing the very same thing and Bomar and Quinn and OSU suspended him for one game and the NCAA accepted that and took no action against OSU.

Reggie Bush's parents get a house and Reggie contacts recruits and, so far, the NCAA has done nothing to USC.

Dwayne Jarrett lives in a $3500 month house and pays only $350 with the rest being paid by a parent of another player and the NCAA takes no action against USC.

Could this be why USC will not get into trouble:

See--- http://www.pac-10.org/genrel/usc-info.html

--"The members of the Infractions Appeals Committee who heard this case were: Christopher L. Griffin, Foley & Lardner LLP, chair; William P. Hoye, University of Notre Dame; Susan Lipnickey, Miami University (Ohio); Noel M. Ragsdale, University of Southern California; and Allan A. Ryan Jr., Harvard University". ---- find in link on
www.ncaa.org

insuranceman_22
2/11/2007, 03:52 AM
4 yrs of no TV & bowls......not gonna happen! Stoops & the Univ. handled it very well & set up procedure's for it NOT to happen again. If we get anything I think it'll be a light slap on the wrist, quite possibly nothing at all. Still praying with my fingers-crossed.......

Boffingham
2/11/2007, 09:25 AM
I knew Stoops was a crook.

I'm just joking. I think we are fine...we have enough basketball issues to keep the NCAA at bay for a while

85sooners
2/11/2007, 10:05 AM
4 years of no tv and no bowl games. that sounds eerily similar to oSu football. :D :D :D

Scott D
2/11/2007, 10:25 AM

Smith accepted money one time from a booster to pay a cell phone bill. He didn't continually have false time sheets from a period of months. Apples and Oranges.

Probably because there is also a federal criminal investigation going on right now into the actions of the wannabe agents, on the basis of extortion claims by Bush and his family. NCAA takes a back seat to the government.

The NCAA already ruled in the matter and made Jarrett pay his difference to a charity.

Jdog
2/11/2007, 08:03 PM
Probably because there is also a federal criminal investigation going on right now into the actions of the wannabe agents, on the basis of extortion claims by Bush and his family. NCAA takes a back seat to the government.

Why would it? You mean the NCAA is told by the government to stop their investigation? Guess you weren't around back in the late 80's when the drugging, raping and shooting was going on at OU.

Again, see my previous post (above) - ck the links, and see why SC will never get into trouble - no matter what they do.
They're was never an investigation (and there will probable never be) over the Bush issue. The press reported about his parents and the agency stuff - but the NCAA never started an investigation. USC's Lawyer works for the NCAA!!! - Do the home work - see the post above.

Scott D
2/11/2007, 09:27 PM
Why would it? You mean the NCAA is told by the government to stop their investigation? Guess you weren't around back in the late 80's when the drugging, raping and shooting was going on at OU.

Again, see my previous post (above) - ck the links, and see why SC will never get into trouble - no matter what they do.
They're was never an investigation (and there will probable never be) over the Bush issue. The press reported about his parents and the agency stuff - but the NCAA never started an investigation. USC's Lawyer works for the NCAA!!! - Do the home work - see the post above.

if you'd done your homework on NCAA investigations you'd see that there is representation from every university. The problem right now is that the NCAA can't get their hands on these audio tapes that have been mentioned because they are currently in the possesion of the Federal Government in regards to their investigation. At this point, those tapes are probably the most damning evidence in regards to Bush at USC. So yes, an NCAA investigation can be put in limbo to a degree by the Federal Government because they come first.

Jdog
2/11/2007, 10:18 PM
if you'd done your homework on NCAA investigations you'd see that there is representation from every university. The problem right now is that the NCAA can't get their hands on these audio tapes that have been mentioned because they are currently in the possesion of the Federal Government in regards to their investigation. At this point, those tapes are probably the most damning evidence in regards to Bush at USC. So yes, an NCAA investigation can be put in limbo to a degree by the Federal Government because they come first.

Who is OU's member on the "Infractions committee" or "Appeals Committee".

And what about the evidence regarding book keeping, proof of residency and tax receipts related to the parents house, all which was avalible prior to the tapes being given to the Govenment. If the press can dig it up than surely the NCAA can - yet the NCAA didn't start an investigation - and as best we can tell still hasn't.

soonerthanu
2/11/2007, 10:41 PM
B. VIOLATIONS THAT DO NOT RESULT FROM A LACK OF INSTITUTIONAL CONTROL.
An institution cannot be expected to control the actions of every individual who is in some way
connected with its athletics program. The deliberate or inadvertent violation of a rule by an
individual who is not in charge of compliance with rules that are violated will not be considered to
be due to a lack of institutional control:
• if adequate compliance measures exist;
• if they are appropriately conveyed to those who need to be aware of them;
• if they are monitored to ensure that such measures are being followed; and
• if, on learning that a violation has occurred, the institution takes swift action.

Scott D
2/11/2007, 11:47 PM
Q. Why does it appear that NCAA investigations take so long?

There are a number of reasons for this. The standard of proof is high for NCAA infractions cases and there must be a reasonable expectation of a finding by the Committee on Infractions in order for the enforcement staff to proceed with an allegation of NCAA rules violations. As a result, the enforcement staff must take the time to obtain complete information from not only individual(s) directly involved in the rules violation (or who have direct knowledge), but sources which can corroborate the information as well. Additionally, much time and effort is spent in evaluating both sides of a case, in order to determine which side is the most credible. The time to take to process a case is often lengthened by the fact the schedules of involved individuals (and sometimes their attorneys) must be accommodated in order for the enforcement staff to conduct an interview. Moreover, it occasionally takes a great deal of time to locate such individuals. Further, in order to properly evaluate information, it is sometimes necessary to interview individuals in a particular order. If there is a delay in interviewing a particular person, this may have a "ripple effect" and result in delaying the interviews of others. In many instances, information is developed during a case which leads to the discovery of additional possible infractions, which broadens the scope of an investigation, necessitating more time to fully explore these additional issues. Finally, institutions frequently lengthen the process by requesting additional time to respond to allegations of NCAA violations made by the enforcement staff.

While OU doesn't have a member on either one of those particular committees, the USC member is unable to rule on any matter involving his university. The NCAA has on more than one occasion said they are investigating the matter.

sparx1
2/12/2007, 08:04 AM
If sanity prevails....NONE.

Big difference in holding back scholarships, tv, etc.....and OU just flat announcing to the two players involved "bye bye, we don't want folks who don't follow rules in our Program" Especially when it was not insignificant players but rather two starters immediately after discovering and rapidly investigating the situation.

The NCAA should PRAISE Oklahoma for policing our own. The NCAA likely feels that somehow they are obligated to slap our hand...but it is difficult as we already more than suitably pounded our own hand. Now they have waited so long...and really don't have any penalties that compare to what OU already self imposed, that action is difficult. BUT they have been totally unfair to Bob etc by dragging this thing out thru the entire recruiting system. JWS

Jdog
2/12/2007, 09:19 AM
While OU doesn't have a member on either one of those particular committees, the USC member is unable to rule on any matter involving his university. The NCAA has on more than one occasion said they are investigating the matter.

I was at the 06 CFBHoF induction ceremony in South Bend - believe me its a good ol boy group. I'm sure they follow guideline as best they can - but never the less they have their clicks.

There was no talk about issues with SC except that the stories "didn't have legs" ---yet I got questions from Mark May, Joe Washington, and Pat Dye about Bomar.

I have yet to see a press release from the NCAA that states that they are investigating USC over the Bush deal - Like I did with regard to Bomar and Quinn at OU.

Scott D
2/12/2007, 10:05 AM
USC recruit sparks investigation

Southern California is looking into whether it may have violated NCAA recruiting rules while pursuing highly rated recruit Joe McKnight, a university official said.

McKnight signed a national letter of intent with USC on Wednesday and made comments during a news conference that seemed to suggest communications involving former Trojan Reggie Bush, who is now with the New Orleans Saints.

Former players are forbidden from telephoning prospective recruits, their relatives or guardians.

“It never happened,” USC coach Pete Carroll told the Los Angeles Times.

The NCAA and the Pacific-10 Conference are investigating whether Bush or his family received “improper benefits” from agents while he was playing for USC.

Considering the amount of investigations the NCAA is currently doing at this time, and considering how little they actually say about any of them until it's time to hand out sanctions isn't unusual.

Sco
2/12/2007, 10:19 AM
No bowls and no TV make Homer something something.

Dio
2/13/2007, 01:02 PM
Maybe I'm just paranoid, but I just don't trust the NCAA to not hammer us every chance they get.

wishbonesooner
2/13/2007, 03:09 PM
Bama was told the exact same thing. They praised their actions and led them to believe they had done all that was needed. Then they dropped the hammer on them.
Trust me, they haven't forgotten our suit that took control of TV revenue away from the NCAA. Somebody would have eventually done the same thing, but it was us, Georgia and I think A&M that beat them in court. Guys, this ain't good.