PDA

View Full Version : Turbo Tax rocks

landrun
2/8/2007, 10:32 PM
I've been using an accountant since my wife and I purchased our home about 9 years ago. This year, after having several people tell me to try turbo tax, I did.

I went to their web site and used the home & business version online. (I had a small business that I closed down last year. If you have have a business, you have to use this version)

I got deductions that my accountant never asked me about! I spent about $6000 repairing my house from a shower pan that leaked a couple of years ago. Those repairs are tax deductible! I'll never get that money back. You'd think the accountant would have a standard list of questions to give to their clients to ensure they're getting them all the deductions they qualify for.

At any rate, we got a refund this year. (only happened 1 other time since I've been using an accountant.) We even received a larger refund than we did when we were first married with no children.

I'd advise you to look into it if you never have. I'll never use an accountant again.

... my apologies to any accountants out there. :O

Vaevictis
2/8/2007, 10:52 PM
You could always go back and have it look at your previous year filings to see if your accountant was doing the best job possible.

According to my understanding, if you had additional money coming to you, you can file an amended return and get it.

jeremy885
2/8/2007, 11:10 PM
Is your home part of your business?

landrun
2/8/2007, 11:12 PM
No. But my business was part of my home. :)

jeremy885
2/8/2007, 11:17 PM
heh.

Anyways, I would check with an actual person before you file your return just to make sure you are doing it right. If you are, do what Vaevictis says and file an amended return.

landrun
2/8/2007, 11:22 PM
heh.

Anyways, I would check with an actual person before you file your return just to make sure you are doing it right. If you are, do what Vaevictis says and file an amended return.

uh oh. Too late! :D

I want that money.

If my taxes are filed wrong, I don't wanna be right! :D

Seriously, I think they're right. I did the compare option thing it gives you and they said my return was average for people making what my wife and I do.

C'mon uncle Sam. Fork it over. :pop:

TheHumanAlphabet
2/9/2007, 12:52 AM
Turbo tax rocks...I've been using it for over 14 years...

noleamite
2/9/2007, 02:04 AM
Believe you can go back 3 years to amend a return.

whatsername
2/9/2007, 07:26 AM
Believe you can go back 3 years to amend a return.
Yeah, last year my mom found out that she could claim my grandma as a dependent. She filed amended returns for the three previous years.

Norm In Norman
2/9/2007, 08:23 AM
Yep, you can always do an amended return with the feds and the state (at least here in OK). I think there is a limit to the number of years you can go back.

Personally, I usually use turbo tax to fill everything out then when I get to the part where you have to pay I re-fill everything out on taxslayer because it's way cheaper. The funny thing is taxslayer always comes up with the same numbers. I'll probably skip the middle man this time.

Widescreen
2/9/2007, 11:16 AM
My paycheck thanks all of you.

Hamhock
2/9/2007, 11:23 AM
i've used software that costs hundreds of times what turbotax costs and does 1/2 the job.

unless you are braindead or have many business ventures, you are crazy for paying a guy like me to do your taxes.

Mongo
2/9/2007, 11:25 AM
My paycheck thanks all of you.

Your on Social Security?;)

Osce0la
2/9/2007, 11:28 AM
uh oh. Too late! :D

I want that money.

If my taxes are filed wrong, I don't wanna be right! :D

Seriously, I think they're right. I did the compare option thing it gives you and they said my return was average for people making what my wife and I do.

C'mon uncle Sam. Fork it over. :pop:
Isn't TurboTax the one that has the audit defense? I think it was them...

Hamhock
2/9/2007, 11:35 AM
Isn't TurboTax the one that has the audit defense? I think it was them...

yea. don't buy it. it's like buying the extra insurance at best buy. they only sell it because they make a bunch of money on it.

don't cheat on your taxes. you can handle an audit.

Osce0la
2/9/2007, 11:38 AM
yea. don't buy it. it's like buying the extra insurance at best buy. they only sell it because they make a bunch of money on it.

don't cheat on your taxes. you can handle an audit.
Ahhh...I didn't realize it was an extra something you had to buy. I don't use stuff like this, I just get online and file mine. Much easier and much cheaper - had my taxes done for free this year. Now if my damn money would just hurry and get here...

SoonerStormchaser
2/9/2007, 11:48 AM
I'm so glad that the base legal office does my taxes for free!

Hatfield
2/9/2007, 11:54 AM
taxact is way cheaper and just as effective.

Taxman71
2/9/2007, 03:08 PM
You can file an amended return at any time. However, you won't get a refund unless you file the amended return within 3 years of the original return or within 2 years of actually paying the tax to be refunded.

Yes, TurboTax is great. It can handle 90% of the taxpayers out there.

Widescreen
2/12/2007, 01:14 PM
Vanilla Ice loves TurboTax.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eMudXTz4NuQ

salth2o
2/12/2007, 03:32 PM
Been using Turbo Tax for 7 years and LOVE it.

landrun
2/14/2007, 01:17 PM
I started this thread on the 8th and got my State refund in my bank account today. - Less than a week. Happy Valentines Day to me!! :D

Tax-wise, I've never experienced anything like this. Of course, I usually have to pay and file for multiple extensions. :D

I'm supposed to have my Federal in the account on Friday.

Widescreen
2/14/2007, 01:23 PM
I started this thread on the 8th and got my State refund in my bank account today. - Less than a week. Happy Valentines Day to me!! :D

Tax-wise, I've never experienced anything like this. Of course, I usually have to pay and file for multiple extensions. :D

I'm supposed to have my Federal in the account on Friday.
My state refund STILL hasn't arrived. :mad:

landrun
2/23/2007, 01:29 PM
Just got my federal today.

I'm in a veddy-good mood. :D

H8HOGS
2/24/2007, 06:51 PM
Just got my federal today.

I'm in a veddy-good mood. :D

One week on e file for my Federal. Had to mail my state as a 2 state resident this year. That bites.