PDA

View Full Version : Trip to Cuba/old people land...

tbl
2/8/2007, 09:00 PM
So I'm in Miami/Ft. Lauderdale for three days on business (sucks, I know :D:D:D:D:D).

Last night, I stay in Fort Pierce (2.5 hours north of Miami) at a basic hotel close to the beach for $69. Great rate, but I think there was a dead hooker under the bed (she wasn't there any more b/c the rats and roaches had consumed everything but the skull). It really wasn't that bad, but it was not something you'd take your wife and kids to. Anyway, they had complimentary wireless internet access for their guests (all 20 of us).

Tonight I'm at the Bahia Mar Beach Resort & Yachting Center/ (http://www.bahiamarhotel.com/) in Fort Lauderdale (SWANK!!!), right on the beach with a balcony room facing the beach (thank you front desk agent Rey). I go to log in to what I figured would be the obvious wireless connection; nada. I call the front desk, and there's only wireless in the lobby. :confused: They have a hardwire ethernet connection in the room, so fine... whatever... it's all being expensed anyway. I connect the cable then go to log on. Shockingly they're charging $9.95 a night to use their hard wired internet service. What the mess????? It's like male rape, I tell ya (not that I know). However I opt for using my Sprint card (dial up speed) instead of going hi speed.

BTW, prior to yesterday evening, I was booked in another dead hooker hotel in Ft Lauderdale. After checking in to DHH #1, I decided I wasn't doing that again (regardless of the wireless perk). I always use the "name your own price" function for rental cars on Priceline and typically save around 25-50% from what their original offer is. Like a dumb butt, I always forget to do this for Hotels. Fortunately I remembered yesterday (dead hooker stench makes you remember stuff), then went online and booked this sweet A hotel, called DHH #2 and canceled my res for tonight. Oddly enough, DHH #2 was charging $129 for tonight in Ft Lauderdale, but I got this place for $119. Saved $10, BUT, lost my free wireless internet. I guess the lack of dead hooker makes it worth the while. That and the awesome mojito's they serve at the lobby bar. http://www.websmileys.com/sm/drink/trink22.gif

Point of the story; go to Priceline and book a 3 or 4 star Hotel using "name your own price", and offer 50% less than the average rate that is being displayed. You'll probably get lucky...

and yes... I killed Anna Nichole Smith. She had it coming...

OUinFLA
2/8/2007, 09:09 PM
Wanna come up to Lakeland and watch the football game?
Oh, wait............well, heck, wanna come up to Lakeland and bitch about the lack of football games?

bluedogok
2/8/2007, 09:53 PM
It is amazing, the more expensive the hotel the more they charge you for everything. You would think $300 a night for the room would be enough, but then they want to stick you with any other charge they can think of. I tend to like the Hampton Inns and places like that, decent rooms at a decent price with many things included.

TheHumanAlphabet
2/9/2007, 12:54 AM
Tell me about it...

My 300 Pound a night hotel room in London when I am there charges 18 Pounds for High Speed innerweb...

BigRedJed
2/9/2007, 03:24 AM
While in FL, go to the Downtowner Saloon. Best Key Lime Pie in south Florida (save one of the sidewalk stands on Duval Steet in Key West). Oh, and check out the Elbo Room on the beach for the nostalgic Where the Boys Are vibe. There'll probably be some dude rocking out by himself. And for seafood, the 16th Street Fisheries.

YWIA.