PDA

View Full Version : Thursday ponderable thing-y

Okla-homey
2/8/2007, 12:50 PM
Okay, if you learned there was a country, in which the following occured, would you consider it a "banana republic," a third-rate home of tin pot dictators or a place where democracy is only the "official" policy? Hmmmm.

In this notional country, a guy was president for four years after having been VP for eight. He was succeeded by a second guy who was president for eight years. That second guy was succeeded by the first guy's son, whom we'll call "third guy", who remained in office for eight years. Third guy was succeeded by second guy's wife. Let's assume she got re-elected after her first term. All this would total 36 years

In sum, two families controlling the presidency or vice-presidency for a total period of 36 years. Exclusively controlling the presidency for 28 years. Wacky huh?

royalfan5
2/8/2007, 12:55 PM
I don't think we can be a third rate Republic until the leaders start getting cool nicknames like Papa Doc and Baby Doc and/or designating successors named Juan Carlos.

Hamhock
2/8/2007, 12:57 PM
your example is too far fetched to even evaluate. ;)

Ike
2/8/2007, 12:58 PM
two families are better than one?

yermom
2/8/2007, 01:11 PM
just wait until Jeb runs ;)

skycat
2/8/2007, 01:31 PM
I've been telling people since W got elected that I can't forsee any way that i'll ever again vote for anyone named Bush or Clinton.

SoonerStormchaser
2/8/2007, 02:50 PM
Ok...let's the speculate that said person #2's wife goes only one term before being succeeded by person #3's brother...he serves two terms.

40 years baby!

fadada1
2/8/2007, 02:58 PM
i hear australia is nice.

jk the sooner fan
2/8/2007, 03:10 PM
just wait until Jeb runs ;)

beat me to it

and actually, Jeb is VERY likeable, electable.......imo, if his last name werent Bush, he would be a VERY strong contender this year

jacru
2/8/2007, 03:16 PM
As long as they are elected by the people and not in office by military coup d'état ...

Ike
2/8/2007, 03:16 PM
beat me to it

and actually, Jeb is VERY likeable, electable.......imo, if his last name werent Bush, he would be a VERY strong contender this year

...and if his first name weren't Jeb.

I just have a hard time taking someone with the first name of Jeb seriously. dunno why.

jacru
2/8/2007, 03:21 PM
Jeb>Bubba

Jimminy Crimson
2/8/2007, 03:27 PM
I think George P. Bush is more electable than Jeb, but he has 4 or 5 years before he is eligible to run.

yermom
2/8/2007, 05:41 PM
...and if his first name weren't Jeb.

I just have a hard time taking someone with the first name of Jeb seriously. dunno why.

at least he's not Obama ;)

Jeb is just a notch higher than Jim Bob though

SicEmBaylor
2/8/2007, 05:43 PM
The final end of the Republic will come when Amy Carter takes the oath.

SleestakSooner
2/8/2007, 06:18 PM
The final end of the Republic will come when Sic'Em's ex takes the oath.

Fixed :P

Ike
2/8/2007, 06:34 PM
The final end of the Republic will come when Sic'Em's ex takes the oath.
Fixed :P

heh. Would that make SicEm the nations "First Bitch"?

Scott D
2/8/2007, 07:20 PM
beat me to it

allegedly 'The Plan' has Jeb never running, however in 2012 his son running. But, that's based on the assumption that there is 'A Plan' that has been nefariously hatched by the Bush clan...or at least the Illuminati*

*I don't believe in this plan, I just wanted to make a post involving the Illuminati

TheHumanAlphabet
2/8/2007, 08:28 PM
Okay, if you learned there was a country, in which the following occured, would you consider it a "banana republic," a third-rate home of tin pot dictators or a place where democracy is only the "official" policy? Hmmmm.

In this notional country, a guy was president for four years after having been VP for eight. He was succeeded by a second guy who was president for eight years. That second guy was succeeded by the first guy's son, whom we'll call "third guy", who remained in office for eight years. Third guy was succeeded by second guy's wife. Let's assume she got re-elected after her first term. All this would total 36 years

In sum, two families controlling the presidency or vice-presidency for a total period of 36 years. Exclusively controlling the presidency for 28 years. Wacky huh?

Interesting thought. Anywhere else this may be considered a tin pot dictator...However, everything you have said (and implied) seems to show that the "country's" constitution has been followed and hence democratically followed. I would agree that there is a lot of nepotism going on around here...

OUinFLA
2/8/2007, 09:15 PM
heh. Would that make SicEm the nations "First Bitch"?

and Sic's true love would be???

let the name calling begin :D

TUSooner
2/8/2007, 09:34 PM
I thought this thread was going to be about Louisiana.
n/m