PDA

View Full Version : STUNNED I'm saying this, but "trap" game this Sat.

OUSKINS
2/8/2007, 12:02 PM
First of all, never in a million years did I think I'd utter the words "trap game" for OU this year. At best, I thought we'd be a "trap game" for some other teams in the league.

But with our two emotional home victories, along with the dismantling we gave to NU, CU, and Baylor, the team should be feeling pretty good right now.

But Baylor looms...and that 40 point loss is surely on their minds. Baylor isn't "good," but they aren't nearly as bad as they looked in LNC. They played both OSU and UT tough on the road.

This is almost as much a test for Capel as the past two games. The emotional/motivation angle the past two games has been easy-- rival teams, fired up fans, avenging losses, etc....

Now, it gets a bit trickier. Suddenly, we find ourselves in a bit of a favorite role-- at least against the bottom half of the league.

I'll be honest-- if we win these next two games (at Baylor, at ISU), I truly belive you can punch our dance card. I mean that. We'd be 16-8; 7-4, and we'd be entrenched near the top of the conference standings. Obviously, we'd still have some work to do, but our chances would be VERY good.

But I don't think we'll win both of these games. My biggest fear is that we drop both. We've yet to win a road game, and that can't look good to the committee come selection Sunday.

This game has all the earmarks of a letdown-- it will be a big test for Capel and crew to overcome it, IMO.

I'll be in Cleveland this weekend: leaving tomorrow to see the Cavs play the Heat and the Lakers this weekend. But I'll find a sports bar somewhere and catch the Sooners-- needless to say, I'll be pretty nervous.

King Crimson
2/8/2007, 12:29 PM
This game has all the earmarks of a letdown-- it will be a big test for Capel and crew to overcome it, IMO.

agree.

NormanPride
2/8/2007, 12:30 PM
No game is a guarantee for this squad, but if we calm down and keep feeding Carter and Longar, I don't think we'll be in any trouble. Of course, if we get in foul trouble it could get ugly, but we're a scrappy team and I believe we want to win no matter what. I'd be more scared if we had won ANY road games, but I think the chance to get our first will motivate us enough.

cheezyq
2/8/2007, 12:56 PM
Personally, I think that this is what's made Capel so good to this point in his young OU career. OU hasn't lost to anyone that they were supposed to beat, almost all of them being large blow-outs. Now, they're starting to pull off wins against teams that they are not expected to beat.

Anything's possible, but as motivated as this team appears to be, and as good as Capel has them executing in the last five to ten minutes of each game, I don't see them losing against Baylor.

I liked Kelvin and his tough defenses, but a lot of times he would get conservative in the final part of a game and our opponents would either win, or keep the game tight. What's impressed me with Capel is that when he gets a lead in the last few minutes of a game, he will even take timeouts to make sure that his team executes to pull away. This team has shown that they can put away a team in the last few minutes, and that's something I don't think I ever saw from Kelvin's teams.

Beef
2/8/2007, 01:00 PM
The way the Big 12 is this year and most years, actually, any conference road game is a trap game.

MojoRisen
2/8/2007, 01:05 PM
and that's something I don't think I ever saw from Kelvin's teams.[/QUOTE]

Not bashing but Kelvin would go too four corners with 10 minutes left-

SleestakSooner
2/8/2007, 03:04 PM
and that's something I don't think I ever saw from Kelvin's teams.

Not bashing but Kelvin would go too four corners with 10 minutes left... down by five

Fixed :D

OUstud
2/8/2007, 03:56 PM
It's unpredictable. ISU played KU close at home, yet lost to Mizzou by 22 also at home. Baylor beat Tech at home and played Aggy and Whorn close on the road, yet lost to us by 40 and at ISU by 13. :confused: I agree with what Skins said, we could easily win the next 2, but also easily lose the next 2 as well. Hopefully it's the former. :D