PDA

View Full Version : What were the first bands you were really into?

royalfan5
2/8/2007, 10:47 AM
The first bands I really loved in High School was the original incarnation of Blink-182 when Scott Raynor was still their drummer, Reel Big Fish, and Less Than Jake. I thought ska was the balls until I went to college.

crawfish
2/8/2007, 10:51 AM
Rush & Styx. The first two albums I ever bought were Moving Pictures and Paradise Theater. Both on 8-track.

That probably dates me. :)

fadada1
2/8/2007, 10:51 AM
blink-182???????

that's a band????;)

i remember liking boston, steeley dan, fleetwood mac, etc... growing up.

fadada1
2/8/2007, 10:52 AM
Rush & Styx. The first two albums I ever bought were Moving Pictures and Paradise Theater. Both on 8-track.

That probably dates me. :)
i've still got moving pictures on vinyl.

royalfan5
2/8/2007, 10:53 AM
I probably should mention Everclear too. I loved Everclear for awhile in there too.

Tear Down This Wall
2/8/2007, 10:54 AM
The Carpenters and ZZ Top. My parents were in those record clubs back in the early 70s. We got a weird mix of 8-tracks and albums back then.

sooneron
2/8/2007, 10:58 AM
As a little kid- Kiss, Wings, Beatles

High school- REM, U2, The Clash

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
2/8/2007, 11:08 AM
Bands only?

Little kid: Alabama, The GoGos, Bananarama, Duran Duran, Air Supply, REO Speedwagon, Journey

Middle School: Bon Jovi, Motley Crue, NKOTB, Stryper, Poison, New Edition

High School: Motley Crue, Breathe, Digital Underground, Sir Mix Alot, Salt n Pepa

sooneron
2/8/2007, 11:10 AM
Stryper?

Fugue
2/8/2007, 11:10 AM
Boston Savatage Dokken Ratt Mozart Vivaldi

Rook65
2/8/2007, 11:19 AM
Byrds, Beatles, Eagles, CSN&Y, Foghat, Mountain, Led Zeppelin, Flying Burrito Brothers, Nitty Gritty Dirt Band, Black Oak Arkansas, Marshall Tucker Band, Blue Cheer, Jimi Hendrix Experience, The Kinks, The Band, Frank Zappa

yermom
2/8/2007, 11:20 AM
as a kid it was Journey, Michael Jackson, Fleetwood Mac, The Beatles, The Eagles

later it was the more like the hair bands :O Whitesnake, Poison, Motley Crue, Def Leppard

in High School it was Led Zeppelin, Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Stone Temple Pilots, Alice in Chains, Guns and Roses, Metallica, Faith No More, etc... The Eagles is probably the only one that was constant through that time.

frankensooner
2/8/2007, 11:22 AM
Journey, Foreigner, Cheap Trick, The Rolling Stones, Van Halen (pre 1984), Styx, Devo.

OhU1
2/8/2007, 11:26 AM
Alice Cooper, Blue Oyster Cult, Cheap Trick, and AC/DC.

Beef
2/8/2007, 11:30 AM
My first albums were KISS Alive II, Beatles Sgt. Peppers, and Adam and The Ants Kings of The Wild Frontier. I was an odd youngster.

I dug The Smiths, U2, REM and Hairband Metal in high school.

IB4OU2
2/8/2007, 11:34 AM
Yes, Moody Blues, CSN&Y, EL&P....

SoonerStormchaser
2/8/2007, 11:35 AM
Rush and Journey

...still into them!

Oldnslo
2/8/2007, 11:39 AM
Little Kid: Three Dog Night

High School: Cars, Foreigner, Cheap Trick

Now: Me First and the Gimmie Gimmies, Guster, Buddy Guy, B.B. King

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
2/8/2007, 11:40 AM
Stryper?Heh.

Partial Qualifier
2/8/2007, 11:49 AM
Zeppelin, CCR, Kiss, Van Halen

achiro
2/8/2007, 11:53 AM
Duck and goose bands. the reward bands are the best, not only do you get a little piece of jewelry, you also get paid just cause you have it.:D

http://www.nationalband.com/duck_bands.jpg

MamaMia
2/8/2007, 12:04 PM
The first albums I ever bought with my own babysitting money were:
Tommy James and the Shondells
Paul Revere and the Raiders
Davy Jones and the Monkees
and The Association

KaiserSooner
2/8/2007, 12:46 PM
Nirvana was the first band for me. That was around 6th or 7th grade. Still like 'em too.

King Crimson
2/8/2007, 01:11 PM
listening to the Beatles Help! and some of the 45's my folks had like Paperback Writer, We Can Work it Out, Day Tripper, Lady Madonna etc. with my uncle babysitting me. him blasting my parents flimsy hi-fi like there was no tomorrow.

he also gave me Dark Side of the Moon when i was in 4th or 5th grade--which i listened to on my headphones obsessively at mind shearing volume (having inherited the before mentioned flimsy hi-fi). I wonder about why he made that decision to buy a 4th grader DSM sometimes. but, i loved it. it all made sense. i consider most of the rest of my life to be footnotes to these two experiences.

those two beatles greatest hits double LP's 1965-72 ones: the red one and the blue covers. Elton John's greatest hits. my mom was listening to a lot of sly and the family stone and neil young harvest about this time. pops was listening to Willie, Waylon and the outlaw stuff.

with my own money in hand about 5-8th grade: probably the first two cars records and the early police stuff were pretty formative. jimi hendrix smash hits and axis: bold as love, the who: meaty beaty big and bouncy, who's next. zeppelin. i bought the byrds greatest hits one time after hearing eight miles high. seeing the split enz video "I got you" on late night TV shows that were mostly Juice Newton vids was kind of cool at the time. prolly opened some doors to other stuff in later years.

King Crimson
2/8/2007, 01:18 PM
oh yeah: hasn't aged at all. they had some other ones like one step ahead, history never repeats etc.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IfR5FmDtqdA

i also loved the ? and the Mysterians tune 96 tears. like it was the greatest thing ever.

SoonerProphet
2/8/2007, 01:31 PM
As a youth I was exposed to The Beatles, Pink Floyd, and the like. As I got a bit older I developed a different musical taste than my folks. During the early 80's developed an appreciation for Gregg Ginn and all things SST.

King Crimson
2/8/2007, 01:41 PM
all things SST.

i hear that.

John Kochtoston
2/8/2007, 03:48 PM
Bands only?

Middle School: Bon Jovi, Motley Crue, NKOTB, Stryper, Poison, New Edition

"Do you own a record by Stryper?
Or hava a mongoloid cousin wearing diapers?
Were you born and raised in New Jersey?
Do you like the taste of Crystal Pepsi?"

Sorry. I always think of that line when Stryper is mentioned.:D

jk the sooner fan
2/8/2007, 03:52 PM
rush, reo speedwagon, journey, the baby's, styx, van halen, kansas, cheap trick.....

sooneron
2/8/2007, 04:25 PM
First memory was rocking out to Crocodile Rock when I was 5, then it was Don McLean's American Pie.
6 yrs- More of Elton, Carole King, James Taylor, Carly Simon, Simon & Garfunkel
7- Beatles, Chuck Berry, James Taylor
8- Elton, Beatles, Anything 50's
9- Beatles, Some Wings, Who is this cool band, Kiss?
10 - Wings, Any and all Kiss
11- Wings, Kiss, Elton, Paul Simon
12- Cheap Trick, Journey, some Reo
13- Cheap Trick, AC DC, The Who, The Police, The Cars
14- The Clash, The Cars, Van Halen, Ramones, CCR, B-52's
15- Bowie, The Doors, Roxy Music, The Clash, The Romantics, U2, REM, Prince
16- Bowie, INXS, U2, Roxy, Gang Of Four, X, REM, The Smiths
17- The Alarm, REM, Power Station, Bryan Ferry, Echo and The Bunnymen, The Cure
18- More of the same above, sans Power Station - they were one and done
19- INXS, Echo, Beatles again - prolly due to cd release, The Cult, Furious Five, Grandmaster Flash, Run DMC
20- Public Enemy, INXS, Ministry, Front 242, Jane's Addiction,REM, anything that was on a 12" dance singlg, due to clubbing much.

JLB
2/8/2007, 04:38 PM
Nirvana,Frank Zappa,Doors,NIN.:cool:

william_brasky
2/8/2007, 04:43 PM
Hall & Oates and Billy Joel as a pre-teen.

Yes, I am a white boy. :D

AllAboutThe'O'
2/8/2007, 04:56 PM
I was into Culture Club early in my pop-music appreciation days. Does that count?:D
I really didn't get into the Beatles, Stones, Who, all the rock groups and singers until I was barely out of high school.

SleestakSooner
2/8/2007, 04:56 PM
Foreigner, Hall and Oates, Styx, Supertramp, U2, REM, Wings so many but those stick out as being some of the first music I ever purchased. Of course 10cc was as well so... :)

NormanPride
2/8/2007, 05:08 PM
Kid: Vivaldi, Devo, The Who
Teen: Zappa, TMBG, Ace of Base (:O)
Now: Dragonforce, Juno Reactor, Cake

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
2/8/2007, 05:17 PM
Oh I bought a Kool & the Gang record in 6th grade.

setem
2/8/2007, 05:18 PM
Kid: Van Halen,Poison,ACDC
Teen: Limp Bizkit,Korn, Nirvana,Flaming Lips,DMX,Tupac
Now: Dave Matthews Band,Flamming Lips,Guster,OAR,Matisyahu,Tupac,Gangstarr

apusooner
2/8/2007, 06:59 PM
kid- j giles band(sp?), michael jackson, van halen, chicago, boston
teen- snoop, master p, tupac, dmx, tower of power, respighi, green day, no doubt--fun fact, my roommate now was in No Doubt for the Tragic Kingdom album
now- tower of power, earth wind and fire, michael jackson, kermit ruffins, chicago, robert randolph, mofro, soulive, liquid soul

god there are way too many nowadays

2/8/2007, 07:40 PM
Probably Henry Mancini or the dude that wrote Mr. Magoo's them song.

SoonerInKCMO
2/8/2007, 07:46 PM
The Sylvers. The Floaters. KISS. Bay City Rollers. The Village People.

SoonerInKCMO
2/8/2007, 07:58 PM
So... this thread inspired me to look up some old tunes on iTunes.

Worms Crawl In is a disturbing song.