PDA

View Full Version : Just Let The Band Play During Timeouts!

scotplum
2/8/2007, 12:40 AM
I hate to bring up a negative as it was a great win tonight and I'm very happy about it but why do we insist on pumping in cheesy music and do pointless contests during timeouts?! I know that we are trying to copy some of what the Hornets have done in OKC and it has worked well at the Ford Center plus it gives OU a chance to showcase some sponsors but, in my opinion, it just doesn't work at all for the college game. In a lot of cases I think it is a detriment to the atmosphere inside LNC. Not only are we ripping off the NBA but we are doing an extremely poor job of it. Just let the band play and the cheerleaders do their thing!

stoopified
2/8/2007, 12:52 AM
I hate to bring up a negative as it was a great win tonight and I'm very happy about it but why do we insist on pumping in cheesy music and do pointless contests during timeouts?! I know that we are trying to copy some of what the Hornets have done in OKC and it has worked well at the Ford Center plus it gives OU a chance to showcase some sponsors but, in my opinion, it just doesn't work at all for the college game. In a lot of cases I think it is a detriment to the atmosphere inside LNC. Not only are we ripping off the NBA but we are doing an extremely poor job of it. Just let the band play and the cheerleaders do their thing!For waht it is wrth,I agree.College sports is all about atmosphere and in order to create an air that gives you copetetive edge more attention should be focused on crowd noise,chants and yes heckling and harassing opposing teams and players.Glad Capel did NOT shut down the O-S-U SUCKS chant.

King Crimson
2/8/2007, 01:33 AM
that's all Joe Castiglione and marketing stuff to create an "NBA" type atmosphere. i think it sucks. but, i guess it pays the bills. gotta love that blimp.

scotplum
2/8/2007, 01:39 AM
that's all Joe Castiglione and marketing stuff to create an "NBA" type atmosphere. i think it sucks. but, i guess it pays the bills. gotta love that blimp.

I think the higher ups took a look at the Hornets and figured that it would work well for our Sooners. At this point it's a joke when they play "Clap, Clap, Clap your hands" every other timeout. It's obvious that crap just doesn't work and I wish they'd let it go. For that matter, I wish the Hornets organization would stop playing that song as well as it's like fingernails on a chalkboard to me. :)

I do wonder if the Hornets game in Norman last year is what is influencing most of this stuff. We honestly don't need an emcee type of guy ala Rob Nice although it has made me realize how good of a job Rob does.

scotplum
2/8/2007, 01:43 AM
And if we need gimmicks to get the crowd involved yet bring in the bucks....bring back the Skeeter meter and give it a sponsor! Fans go crazy over that crap even when it is the incredibly fake Buffalo Wild Wings noise meter.

Octavian
2/8/2007, 04:13 AM
I agree completely with this thread. Some friends and I had this conversation during a time-out in the 2nd half.

The little games during every time-out just killed the place.

We should use the timeout periods like most schools....chants, a fight song...things that really make the game feel like a major college basketball environment.

Instead, we all quietly watched Billy Bob try to roll a ball through a cut-out hole in a cardboard stand in hopes of winning free gasoline.

It's like a round of golf suddenly breaks out and everyone's a mute.

:les: STRIKE UP THE BAND!!

King Crimson
2/8/2007, 04:17 AM
and get rid of the Day-O Belafonte banana boat thing.....that is purely NBA in addition to being just plain stupid. i can't believe that every time i hear it on the net cast in the background.

you ought to hear my pops talk about this stoppage of play/"a spectacle breaks out!" issue.....and he's had season tickets since the 70's. it's hilarious.

more Sooner Showmen, less crap.

TopDaugIn2000
2/8/2007, 07:54 AM
I agree. I can't stand the crappy contests and music.

MichiganSooner
2/8/2007, 09:09 AM
Totally agree with the comments on this thread. The reason I have always preferred college and even high school games is the atmosphere of the bands and cheerleaders combined with the action on the court or field. The blimp is cool, however.

Jeopardude
2/8/2007, 10:17 AM
I hate to bring up a negative as it was a great win tonight and I'm very happy about it but why do we insist on pumping in cheesy music and do pointless contests during timeouts?! I know that we are trying to copy some of what the Hornets have done in OKC and it has worked well at the Ford Center plus it gives OU a chance to showcase some sponsors but, in my opinion, it just doesn't work at all for the college game. In a lot of cases I think it is a detriment to the atmosphere inside LNC. Not only are we ripping off the NBA but we are doing an extremely poor job of it. Just let the band play and the cheerleaders do their thing!

Cogent analysis. :D

And the band didn't do the one thing that annoys me last night-- the cheeseball sax solo.

GoState
2/8/2007, 11:14 AM
I agree, too. In the last few years, they've started pumping in more music at GIA during timeouts and also bringing in more gimmicky things. Ugh. And what was with the 6-7 minute halftime dance thing last night? As one OU student near me said, "Are we at Night Trips?" Heh.

boomersooner82
2/8/2007, 12:09 PM
I concur. Last Saturday was my first game to go to this season, and I was bummed about the prevelance of the "second, younger PA" ala what many NBA games seem to have. Plus, there was no OU Chant before the game, and they sang the national anthem before the teams came out? Is that an every game occurance now? What gives? It's stupid superficial stuff that has nothing to do with the game, but I'm a fan of the chant!

TopDaugIn2000
2/8/2007, 01:48 PM
I concur. Last Saturday was my first game to go to this season, and I was bummed about the prevelance of the "second, younger PA" ala what many NBA games seem to have. Plus, there was no OU Chant before the game, and they sang the national anthem before the teams came out? Is that an every game occurance now? What gives? It's stupid superficial stuff that has nothing to do with the game, but I'm a fan of the chant!

they sing the chant after the game.

OU James
2/8/2007, 01:56 PM
Seems like they do alot of the same at the football games, just doesn't seem to have the same crowd killing effect.

OUstud
2/8/2007, 03:48 PM
I agree completely. The worst part is, when they play the "clap your hands" and "hey-oo" crap, the speakers cut out and skipped, so we wound up with a "hey-oh-oh-oh-ohhhhh". Music is fine...but at least play something like "We Will Rock You" (and not just a shortened, sped up version after Boomer Sooner that lasts for 5 seconds.)

Jeopardude
2/8/2007, 05:41 PM
I agree completely. The worst part is, when they play the "clap your hands" and "hey-oo" crap, the speakers cut out and skipped, so we wound up with a "hey-oh-oh-oh-ohhhhh". Music is fine...but at least play something like "We Will Rock You" (and not just a shortened, sped up version after Boomer Sooner that lasts for 5 seconds.)

That's Day-O and the skip you heard was some fancy DJing by DJ Dude In A Red Sweatshirt.

LoyalFan
2/8/2007, 09:39 PM
Cogent analysis. :D

And the band didn't do the one thing that annoys me last night-- the cheeseball sax solo.

There's too much sax and violence on TV as it is!

LF

runner1182
2/9/2007, 12:37 AM
yeah the L.N.C. is getting cheesy with the music! but i like the student section that was put on the sides, as they call the area crimzone or something like that! wonder if capel put that in! kinda looks like what duke does but not to the level!

TheHumanAlphabet
2/9/2007, 12:48 AM
Sounds like we need to annoint a new THA and let him lead cheers...:)

I hate all that cheesy crap, the game should be about honking loud pep bands and pom squads with ripped pantyhose crotches...:D Good times...

C&CDean
2/9/2007, 10:00 AM
While I don't disagree with the premise of this thread, saying we're "ripping off the Hornets" is just plain dumb. I can remember games way before the Hornets ever disgraced our fine city that this crapola was going on at LNC.

However, we've only got ourselves to blame. If the LNC was packed to the rafters for EVERY game, if people were loud and proud for EVERY game, then JC and staff wouldn't have to resort to the bush league bull**** and "entertainment." The reason you don't see that crap at a Duke or North Carolina is because they don't need to do that crap.

scotplum
2/9/2007, 11:40 AM
While I don't disagree with the premise of this thread, saying we're "ripping off the Hornets" is just plain dumb. I can remember games way before the Hornets ever disgraced our fine city that this crapola was going on at LNC.

However, we've only got ourselves to blame. If the LNC was packed to the rafters for EVERY game, if people were loud and proud for EVERY game, then JC and staff wouldn't have to resort to the bush league bull**** and "entertainment." The reason you don't see that crap at a Duke or North Carolina is because they don't need to do that crap.

While I always appreciate my thoughts being called plain dumb, what OU is doing during timeouts now is EXACTLY the same thing that is done during the Hornets games. The stupid contests are about sponsor dollars more than anything but the cheesy music has no excuse. It's simply not necessary.

That's not to say that some of this may have been going on prior to the Hornets arrival but if I recall correctly, it was not nearly this bad nor was it attempting to be an NBA style presentation. Also, saying the Hornets disgraced OKC is "just plain dumb". :P