PDA

View Full Version : espen story on AD in the draft

badger
2/7/2007, 10:07 PM
article from ESPN.com says...
I still have LSU junior QB JaMarcus Russell going with the first overall pick to Oakland. However, the biggest buzz could center around Oklahoma junior RB Adrian Peterson (6-1½, 223 pounds). His workout numbers at the NFL combine should look something like this: 4.37 in the 40-yard dash; 38-inch vertical leap; and eight percent body fat. I have Peterson going to Cleveland, which will have either the third or fourth pick, depending on a coin flip tiebreaker with Tampa Bay; but there also could be several teams interested in trading up to get Peterson.

If Peterson does go to Cleveland, Notre Dame QB Brady Quinn could slide to the Dolphins with the ninth pick. The reason Quinn would fall to Miami? Teams picking after Cleveland (possibly Tampa Bay, Arizona, Washington, Minnesota and Houston) don't need a quarterback. You could make a case for the Texans or Vikings to draft Quinn, but I don't expect that to happen.

The Seattle Seahawks are the only team that does not have a first-round pick because of the trade they made with the Patriots to acquire WR Deion Branch. Seattle could use another wide receiver and, ironically, this draft has a lot of great pass catchers. (I'm projecting seven wide receivers will go in the first round.)

My next first-round projection will be the first week of March following the NFL combine.

1.Oakland Raiders JaMarcus Russell*QB LSU

2. Detroit Lions Joe Thomas OT Wisconsin

3 or 4 Tampa Bay Buccaneers Calvin Johnson* WR Georgia Tech

4 or 3 Cleveland Browns Adrian Peterson* RB Oklahoma

I think the asterisk means that they're juniors. This would make AD Bob Stoops' highest drafted recruit. I think it would be disappointing for him if he didn't go #1.

Harry Beanbag
2/7/2007, 10:19 PM
Apparently, there's some smoke that Denver wants him bad.

bri
2/7/2007, 10:19 PM
As a competitor, I'm sure not going #1 would be somewhat disappointing for AD...but then again, having to play for the Raiders would be an even bigger disappointment. :D

soonerboomer93
2/7/2007, 10:57 PM
I would really be happy to see AD go to Denver

oh, and Pat Bowlen is an OU alum :D

OUinFLA
2/7/2007, 11:09 PM
Tampa Bay doesn't need a quarterback?

Did we sell the team?

soonerboomer93
2/7/2007, 11:18 PM
you have Chris Simms there :D

OUinFLA
2/7/2007, 11:27 PM
you have Chris Simms there :D

for the reading impared:

Did we sell the team?

lcaldwell1
2/7/2007, 11:42 PM
where is denver at in the draft?

sooneron
2/7/2007, 11:50 PM
Status of being No. 1 is tarnished these days. Look at what houston did last year. Teams used to go after the best player, regardless. Now they go after needs.

tulsaoilerfan
2/8/2007, 12:04 AM
Status of being No. 1 is tarnished these days. Look at what houston did last year. Teams used to go after the best player, regardless. Now they go after needs.
Or how easy to sign they will be

Seamus
2/8/2007, 12:13 AM
for the reading impared:

Did we sell the team?

Heh. Good stuff.

BOOMERBRADLEY
2/8/2007, 12:15 AM

Please lord in Heaven let this happen!!!

(Im moving to Denver in May)

soonerboomer93
2/8/2007, 12:55 AM
where is denver at in the draft?

the order isnt' updated after the playoffs, but 20/21

they'd have to trade up, and I'm not sure how many extra picks they still have since they did use a couple last year to move up to get Cutler

AD would be perfect in this situation with an excellent line, good receivers (although I'm not sure how many years Rod Smith has left) and a new, but talented QB

Frozen Sooner
2/8/2007, 02:35 AM
Much as I hate the Donks, I'd rather see AD in Denver than Oakland.

Hating the Donks is something I do in my spare time. Hating Oakland is a full-time occupation.

boomersooner28
2/8/2007, 02:44 AM
I don't know how much AD will work out in the combine, but when some of his speed, strength, vertical jump numbers start to come out and be witnessed in person by pro scouts, there is gonna be a frenzy for the rights to AD. You know how much these guys love numbers...and AD will put up some staggering numbers.

soonerboomer93
2/8/2007, 03:36 AM
Much as I hate the Donks, I'd rather see AD in Denver than Oakland.

Hating the Donks is something I do in my spare time. Hating Oakland is a full-time occupation.

heh, Oakland and KC = Hate

Chargers = I feel sorry for them

:D

TripleOption14
2/8/2007, 06:44 AM
I've been saying this from the get. Peterson WILL BE a Brown. I don't like the Browns but i do enjoy going to their training camps so it works for me. :D

Harry Beanbag
2/8/2007, 06:48 AM
the order isnt' updated after the playoffs, but 20/21

they'd have to trade up, and I'm not sure how many extra picks they still have since they did use a couple last year to move up to get Cutler

AD would be perfect in this situation with an excellent line, good receivers (although I'm not sure how many years Rod Smith has left) and a new, but talented QB

The rumor I heard was Plummer and their 1st round pick to Cleveland for the #3/4 overall. I would think it might take a little more than that, maybe throw in one of the Bells or something.

soonerboomer93
2/8/2007, 08:20 AM
they can drop kick that whiney bitch tatum to cleveland for all I care

I hear Houston has good interestest in Plummer, so maybe a 3 team deal could come about.

All I know is that if he ends up in Denver I'll be one happy mother****er

DrZaius
2/8/2007, 08:46 AM
I would like to see him in Atlanta myself. But that is never going to happen.

OU4LIFE
2/8/2007, 08:51 AM
considering Denvers reputation for making stars out of otherwise average RB, it's pretty neat to think of what a star could do in that system.

OU4LIFE
2/8/2007, 08:53 AM
I would like to see him in Atlanta myself. But that is never going to happen.

atlanta and detroit, where good players go to die.

SoonerStormchaser
2/8/2007, 10:27 AM
No way guys.

Chicago trades ALL their picks to Oakland and drafts him at #1. End of discussion!

springs sooner
2/8/2007, 10:48 AM
not a Broncs fan but i do live in Colorado so getting to see Ad play 8 times a year would be sweet.

Tear Down This Wall
2/8/2007, 10:50 AM
Who was the last OU tailback to play for the Browns, Greg Pruitt? Pretty good company, I'd say. Adrian could hang with LeBron and make Cleveland the unlikely sports mega-center for years...years, I tell ya!

Frozen Sooner
2/8/2007, 01:24 PM
heh, Oakland and KC = Hate

Chargers = I feel sorry for them

:D

:mad:

stoopified
2/8/2007, 02:11 PM
I hear Jerry Jones is going to trade Marion Barber,Julius Jones ,and 5 future first round picks for the number 1 pick to get AD.

soonerlaw
2/8/2007, 03:14 PM
AD has 8% body fat.. pfft. I have like 3% body fat... or wait, maybe that's blood alcohol level.

RedstickSooner
2/8/2007, 03:49 PM

As in, you'd have to be smoking crack to think they'll draft him? :D

Seriously, Denver's history would argue that it's the last thing they'd do (draft a running back in the first round). They haven't done so in 22 years - not since drafting our own Steve Sewel with the #26 overall pick in 1985.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/history/teams/DEN

What's more, their ability to take mediocre or average backs and make them spectacular is something the franchise prides itself on.

All that being said, history has a way of being made when it changes. Why have they finally come around to the notion that if they can make a mediocre runner great, they can make a great one Playstation-great? Are they just tired of hearing about Ladanian Tomlinson all the damned time? I know I am.

So, heck, if that's their druthers, great. With their line & system, they'd be a wonderful new home for AD. And as we saw this past year with Edgerrin James going from Stud to Dud, where you play makes a huuuuuge difference for a running back.

Harry Beanbag
2/8/2007, 05:13 PM
As in, you'd have to be smoking crack to think they'll draft him? :D

Seriously, Denver's history would argue that it's the last thing they'd do (draft a running back in the first round). They haven't done so in 22 years - not since drafting our own Steve Sewel with the #26 overall pick in 1985.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/history/teams/DEN

What's more, their ability to take mediocre or average backs and make them spectacular is something the franchise prides itself on.

All that being said, history has a way of being made when it changes. Why have they finally come around to the notion that if they can make a mediocre runner great, they can make a great one Playstation-great? Are they just tired of hearing about Ladanian Tomlinson all the damned time? I know I am.

So, heck, if that's their druthers, great. With their line & system, they'd be a wonderful new home for AD. And as we saw this past year with Edgerrin James going from Stud to Dud, where you play makes a huuuuuge difference for a running back.

Yeah, I know they don't like to draft RBs very high, but I think the natives may be getting a little restless with Shanahan so maybe it's time to change things up a bit. But I don't know if they're willing to give up what it'll take to position themselves for Peterson.

TheUnnamedSooner
2/8/2007, 05:23 PM
Yahoo has him all the way down to 16 - the Packers

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=AgVVlq0Un9xE24jccaTZjf45nYcB?slug=jm-mockdraft020807&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

mikeb
2/8/2007, 05:26 PM
No way guys.

Chicago trades ALL their picks to Oakland and drafts him at #1. End of discussion!
This is exactly what I am hopeing for.

Harry Beanbag
2/8/2007, 05:26 PM
16? :confused:

soonerboomer93
2/8/2007, 06:05 PM
considering Denvers reputation for making stars out of otherwise average RB, it's pretty neat to think of what a star could do in that system.

see Clinton Portis

soonerboomer93
2/8/2007, 06:06 PM

2 words for you

Marty Ball

TheUnnamedSooner
2/8/2007, 06:24 PM
16? :confused:

Yeah, one "expert's opinion" We'll see :rolleyes:

soonerboomer93
2/8/2007, 06:44 PM
Yeah, I know they don't like to draft RBs very high, but I think the natives may be getting a little restless with Shanahan so maybe it's time to change things up a bit. But I don't know if they're willing to give up what it'll take to position themselves for Peterson.

Portis and Tatum Bell were second rounders. Denver does have a need to replace Darrent Williams :( at corner but I'm not sure where the other pressing needs are. We get good rb play, but nothing ultra spectacular. Haven't since Terrell Davis was back there. With the moves they made to get Cutler last year, imho they need to make sure they have a very strong back in there. Right now we do a good job of running, but with the scemes and a better back, it would be like play station. That won Denver 2 Superbowls so it would be good to return to that philosophy.

Frozen Sooner
2/8/2007, 07:26 PM
2 words for you

Marty Ball

One word for you:

No Cam Cameron. No Wade Philips.

We're looking at 8-8 at best next year.

soonerinabilene
2/8/2007, 07:37 PM
this guy doesnt know what he's talking about. a draft full of wr's, and hes got detroit taking a lineman at # 2? he's assuming they would do something that makes sense.

sooner518
2/8/2007, 07:55 PM
with the way these analyst geeks crap their pants every time some mediocre player runs a sub 4.4 40, they'll be back on the AD train after he slays at the combine. methinks

soonerboomer93
2/8/2007, 07:58 PM
One word for you:

No Cam Cameron. No Wade Philips.

We're looking at 8-8 at best next year.

I fully expect next year to be Marty's last in SD

that should make you happy you freakin cry baby eskeeemo :D

SouthTxSooner
2/8/2007, 11:45 PM
I've heard from more than a couple sources that AD would like to play for the Texans, which makes sense for him. I don't think Houston can pass on him if he's available, after not taking VY or Bush last draft.

colleyvillesooner
2/9/2007, 12:06 AM
No matter what he runs at the Combine, he'll probably run's a sub 4.4 at OU's Pro Day. That is, if he doesn't do that at the combine. :D

soonerboomer93
2/9/2007, 02:21 AM
I've heard from more than a couple sources that AD would like to play for the Texans, which makes sense for him. I don't think Houston can pass on him if he's available, after not taking VY or Bush last draft.

Houston needs a line for him to run behind first

lcaldwell1
2/9/2007, 12:50 PM
i would be forever happy if he could somehow go to the cowboys

SouthTxSooner
2/9/2007, 06:51 PM
Houston needs a line for him to run behind first
They needed one last year also, but they wasted their first pick on Mario. It's sad the Mario wasn't even the best rookie on their defense. Here's my point. With AD being from Texas and a rare mix of running back talent, the Texans will lose credibility with their fan base if they don't take him. Texans fans are ****ed that they didn't get VY in last years draft, especially after the season he had with the Titans and getting offensive rookie of the year honors.

soonerboomer93
2/9/2007, 08:06 PM
yes, supposedly the texans will take him if available at 8, or may make a move to pick earlier

I'd rather see him go to denver though, much better team, better o-line an well, I'm from Denver :D

Harry Beanbag
2/9/2007, 10:13 PM
If he's still available for the Texans to pick, there's no way they can not get him. They aborted last year's draft bad enough.

I cringe when I think of him playing with horns on his helmet though. :(